1/11 | VCU | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/11 | VCU | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago I get TP's point, had to listen to this one on the radio, Steve and Don spoke about it briefly on the broadcast, the Brown game's affect on the team's resume anyway. They weren't being negative, just realistic. That being said, I feel like post season aspirations are back on, I mean to me as a fan I want to cling on to the rays of hope the team casts. So crazier things have happened, Suppose the Davidson game was the start of something special. Not getting ahead of myself, but if we get lucky in the health department and we sweep VCU, enter the game at Dayton with a record of say 17-6 doesn't that get us in the field or the conversation anyway? So what if we then split with Dayton, it could happen. No more home loses and assuming we lose to Dayton at Dayton, we could probably afford one road loss at either Mason, Bonaventure or even LaSalle, but we have to sweep UAss and that's unlikely, who knows though. I'd say while not probable, it's possible that we end up mid to low 40's NET with three Q1 wins and only one Q4 loss, so yeah post-season aspirations on!

Mark my words.

Brown will become a quad 2 loss and we will be fine.
That's very unlikely. Quadrant 3 for an away game are teams ranked 136 to 240 and right now Brown is 217. I don't see how they become a top 135 team. We just need them to stay in quadrant 3 and take our medicine
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Mongo wrote: 4 years ago If you want a Sunday laugh, read through the VCU fan page. It goes from that they are going to beat us down, revenge, they are going to win by 20 ect.... to complete meltdown. I’ve always said VCU fans are the cockiest most obnoxious fans in the A10, it’s so fun to see them eat crow. 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂
I remember after we beat them in A 10 tourney last year, I hopped on subway only to look around and see if filled with a bunch of people dressed like bumble bees who were very somber and silent after being some of the most obnoxious fans I have ever heard at the game. I got some looks that could kill as I was dressed in my Rhody gear with a big smile. Talking to a few of them at the game, you would have thought , in their opinion anyway, that their program was equivalent to Duke , Villanova or UCLA of the 70s. 7 out of 8 must not sit well with their unrealistic view of their program. Oh well, I have no sympathy for them.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago We are a much better half court offensive team with Jeff at the point.

It seems that Jeff needs that to play well? Looks like it. His past history definitely looks like it.

And I'm not knocking Fatts here.

It's what is needed for us to beat good teams, and go on a run.
Jeff did score a lot in transition and driving to the basket. You don’t need to be the PG to do that. They both handle the ball. I don’t care who is PG. I trust Cox to stay with what works. Jeff did struggle some with their press. Jeff needs to be assertive getting his shot and getting to the basket. If Jeff scores 20 points, Rhody wins (12-0 in his career).
Agree with this. It did seem like Fatts played off the ball and Jeff triggered the offense a bit more than usual yesterday, but it was still a split responsibility and it’s been a split responsibility all year. I don’t see that changing, and the proportions will depend on matchups, etc. Saying that Fatts isn’t a PG is not a great take. He’s the best ball handler on the team and he leads the team in assists. He’s a different kind of point guard. He’s more Iverson than John Stockton, but that doesn’t mean he’s not a PG. next year he will handle point by himself for 38 minutes per game so might want to get used to it.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago Never mind. Found this ocean of tears :D

https://www.vcuramnation.com/forums/thr ... ead.18531/
one of my favorites as I scanned through the VCU thread:

This game should be a blow out due to URI having a very thin bench. I hope VCU buries these clowns. David Cox might be my least favorite A-10 coach since Danny Hurley left. He has done a very nice job of taking over that role since Hurley left. Being a total jacka$$ must be a job requirement for the URI head coaching position.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago

This game should be a blow out due to URI having a very thin bench. I hope VCU buries these clowns. David Cox might be my least favorite A-10 coach since Danny Hurley left. He has done a very nice job of taking over that role since Hurley left. Being a total jacka$$ must be a job requirement for the URI head coaching position.
I read something on there about something that happened in the handshake line after the game.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

I read something on there about something that happened in the handshake line after the game.
Was this it?

And I'm not asking VCU to get into boxing match with Rhode Island. But it's pretty sad when the small, skinny Rhode Island manager even starts giving VCU players poop in the handshake line after the game.

https://www.vcuramnation.com/forums/thr ... ost-939448
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Was this it?

And I'm not asking VCU to get into boxing match with Rhode Island. But it's pretty sad when the small, skinny Rhode Island manager even starts giving VCU players poop in the handshake line after the game.

Add the small skinny manager to the banner immediately!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Yeah, I wonder what happened.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I can say we have a good record against VCU and Dayton. Much better than we did against Temple and Xavier that's for sure.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago

Was this it?

Add the small skinny manager to the banner immediately!
Nomination to Post of the a Year!!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I will add that into the other nominations, it certainly is worthy......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Was this it?

"Poop in the handshake", well that's the first time I've ever heard that statement. Must be a southern comment like "bless your heart".

Based on the description I know exactly who they're talking about on our staff. Ridiculous.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Yo. Two quick comments...

1) I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, there are times when we need the ball in Dowtins hands and there are times when we need the ball in Fatts hands. Both facilitate two different styles of offense. Both great things to have. We should be celebrating this, not complaining.

2) when Fatts, Jeff and TM slash to the hoop, I love this team’s intensity getting offensive rebounds. Wether it’s Cyril or JH, Walker or Martin, or Long or Toppin. These guys scrap and claw. LOVE IT. We may not be a pretty team to watch but we’re not a team that anyone is going to want to play against come March. Keep up the energy! Fans help drive that. Go RHODY! :o
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Totally saw this coming. VCU bloggers/fans LOVE to (ahem) "report" stuff like this when their team loses. It's right up there with death and taxes.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago Totally saw this coming. VCU bloggers/fans LOVE to (ahem) "report" stuff like this when their team loses. It's right up there with death and taxes.
Yup! I saw a comment on there about how Cox has URI practice hip checking, holding, pulling, and elbowing and not get caught because URI did it all game and never got called. Others actually agreed with that take! They called the team a bunch of assholes.

Funny, there are 12 other teams in the league and no other player, coach, or fanbase has ever made comments about URI being cheapshot artists and shittalkers.

I LOVE that URI is living rent free in waterfront property in their heads. I love that URI is their boogeyman.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Well it looks like Obi Toppin injured his ankle while playing UMass, so my guess is that he'll be unlikely to play in the VCU game and if he does play he'll be limited. VCU might actually have a shot a giving Dayton their first conference loss.
The conference standings could get real interesting by the end of this coming weekend...
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Speaking of which... when is Toppin going on the banner?

A team is, after all, at least 6 players, not 5.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The Dude wrote: 4 years ago Well it looks like Obi Toppin injured his ankle while playing UMass, so my guess is that he'll be unlikely to play in the VCU game and if he does play he'll be limited. VCU might actually have a shot a giving Dayton their first conference loss.
The conference standings could get real interesting by the end of this coming weekend...
Sprained ankle. Probably going to play.
“We will be good when we are good.”
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Obie says he's fine and the ankle issue is no big deal . I would say it is 99 % certain he will play against VCU . Dayton could probably
beat VCU fairly easily at UD Arena even without Toppin.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Yeah even if Toppin’s not 100% I think it’ll be enough to win by double digits.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago Totally saw this coming. VCU bloggers/fans LOVE to (ahem) "report" stuff like this when their team loses. It's right up there with death and taxes.
Yup! I saw a comment on there about how Cox has URI practice hip checking, holding, pulling, and elbowing and not get caught because URI did it all game and never got called. Others actually agreed with that take! They called the team a bunch of assholes.

Funny, there are 12 other teams in the league and no other player, coach, or fanbase has ever made comments about URI being cheapshot artists and shittalkers.

I LOVE that URI is living rent free in waterfront property in their heads. I love that URI is their boogeyman.
I remember when URI beat them a couple of years back one of their bloggers reported that Hurley ran a play called “White Power”. After a bunch of people challenged his claim he deleted the tweet. It’s too predictable with their fans.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

10 Point NET Win Margin Importance?

With 1:51 remaining Martin hit a 3P to put URI up by 9 points 65-56. Neither team scored in the last 1:51 as 9 consecutive shots were missed.

1:35 Marcus Evans missed
1:30 Bones Hyland missed a 3P
1:13 Bones Hyland missed a 3P
1:00 Fatts Russell missed a 3P
0:58 Cyril Langevine missed a 2P
0:48 Vince Williams missed a 3P
0:45 De’Riante Jenkins missed a 2P
0:42 Marcus Evans missed a 3P
0:16 Fatts Russell missed a 3P as shot clock was down to 5 seconds
0:11 Fatts Russell stole the ball from Marcus Evans and proceeded to dribble out the clock

Last game when Fatts took the 3P with 2 seconds left in the game there were several reasons posters justified Fatts taking the 3P:
1) The shot clock was going to run out at 1 second remaining in the game as the shot and game clocks were off by 1 second
2) The shot would put URI up to win by the 10 or more score that is breakpoint for NET benefit - any win by 10 points or more is a plus
3) Screw Davidson - rub it in who cares
4) Davidson defenders were still guarding Russell so they still had defensive pressure on

This game Fatts could have dribbled to the hoop for an easy 2P to make URI win by 11 points but he chose to dribble the game out in front of the URI Bench

It looked to me that Fatts was thinking about going in for the easy 2 - the path was wide open as VCU players were walking off the floor but there were 11 seconds left.

To me, the traditional sportsmanship thing to do would be to dribble out the clock which Russell did
But according to posters last game, the 10 point win margin was a reason given for Russell to take the 3P with 2 seconds left.

So question is how important is that 10 point win margin to NET for a road game at a highly ranked A10 Opponent like VCU? Could last years 30+ point defeat at VCU have justified Russell grabbing that easy 2P layup opportunity with 11 seconds left?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If there's a difference in our NET rating due to one point in a game like that, then the NET is more screwed up than we thought.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago If there's a difference in our NET rating due to one point in a game like that, then the NET is more screwed up than we thought.
It might be. The idea of having a magical 10 point win margin is odd to me. If that is the rule, then shouldn’t teams aim to be 10 points and above at all costs?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If you win a game as a road underdog, there really shouldn't be any effect whether it's a 10 or a 9 point win.

If there is, it's pretty silly.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago If there's a difference in our NET rating due to one point in a game like that, then the NET is more screwed up than we thought.
It might be. The idea of having a magical 10 point win margin is odd to me. If that is the rule, then shouldn’t teams aim to be 10 points and above at all costs?
Thats not how it works. You dont get bonus points for a 10 point win. The margin of victory that is factored in the net is capped at 10, thats it. Efficiency is not capped, so if you let a possession at the end of the game go by without scoring then your efficiency decreases. Thats all it is.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Much of this same fanbase attributed URI's win last year in the A-10 Tournament as being completely due to Evans leaving the game after his injury. They made it as if URI otherwise had zero chance of beating them. This despite the fact that Rhody had already beaten them in a game earlier in the season with Evans (logged 35m and had 13pts) and before the tourney had actually taken five of the last six games between the teams.

I give a lot of credit to VCU fans for being extremely supportive of their program. VCU along with Dayton are clearly the best supported and run programs in the A-10. They have basically filled their arena for every home games for several years and also travel very well. They are used to success and have high expectations. Their fans talk a lot of smack with their team actually backing it up most of the time. They however do not take losing well and make up all sort of excuses and give little credit to the other team.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago Yup! I saw a comment on there about how Cox has URI practice hip checking, holding, pulling, and elbowing and not get caught because URI did it all game and never got called.
Right, because VCU has played completely hands-free for the last 10 years.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago
Thats not how it works. You dont get bonus points for a 10 point win. The margin of victory that is factored in the net is capped at 10, thats it. Efficiency is not capped, so if you let a possession at the end of the game go by without scoring then your efficiency decreases. Thats all it is.
Ok, I see. You get benefit of margin of victory but only up to 10 points. So we basically left 1 point on the table in the VCU game. So the points some posters made about justifying Russell taking the 3P shot with 1 second remaining in the Davidson Game was no more warranted for the Davidson game as it was for the VCU game. We could have gone for the 11 point victory vs VCU and gotten the benefit of 10 point win vs 9 point win. But then the Sportsmanship comes into play. I’d err on the side of Sportsmanship.

In addition, a cap of 10 points was applied to the winning margin to prevent rankings from encouraging unsportsmanlike play, such as needlessly running up the score in a game where the outcome was certain.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ncaa.c ... king%3famp
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

All that shows is exactly what I just said?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I was adding to my response. Question remains though why shoot the 3 vs Davidson and not shoot the 3 vs VCU. Based on the negligible value added of 9 points vs 10 one would say don’t take the shot based on the NET benefit - right? Go the Sportsmanship way.

Unless you say the shot clock was expiring (kind of weak to me) and/or Davidson was still playing defense to the end.

But the margin of 10 points means little or nothing. Right?
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

I was adding to my response. Question remains though why shoot the 3 vs Davidson and not shoot the 3 vs VCU. Based on the negligible value added of 9 points vs 10 one would say don’t take the shot based on the NET benefit - right? Go the Sportsmanship way.

Unless you say the shot clock was expiring (kind of weak to me) and/or Davidson was still playing defense to the end.

But the margin of 10 points means little or nothing. Right?
Your overthinking it. The shot clock was expiring so he took a shot. He shot a deep three during their last shot clock cycle against VCU too.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I made it a point to watch the handshake line on TV. I didn't see anything. Of course, CBSSports didn't show the whole line from start to finish, just showing part of it, but there wasn't anything nasty in what was seen on tv.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Why doesn't anybody get this? 10% OFF AT THE MEWS!!!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Let's not over intellectualize the taking of the three late in the game. Remember in the Richmond game their big guy, Grant Golden, took a three with 25 seconds left in game and a Spider lead of 11 points. He missed.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Speaking of which... when is Toppin going on the banner?

At that point why not just put our 8 guys up there, that’s all we have!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Speaking of which... when is Toppin going on the banner?

And this guy :D :D

But it's pretty sad when the small, skinny Rhode Island manager even starts giving VCU players poop in the handshake line after the game.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree there is a difference in the 2 scenarios

Vs Davidson the shot clock was expiring so it made more sense though he could not have shot it either way there

Vs VCU game was over no need to score there
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Let's not over intellectualize the taking of the three late in the game. Remember in the Richmond game their big guy, Grant Golden, took a three with 25 seconds left in game and a Spider lead of 11 points. He missed.

This is a weak comparison. There is a difference between not taking the shot and giving the other team the ball with one second and not taking the shot and giving the other team the ball with 25 seconds. In my opinion it's okay to take the shot if the other team is still going to have a chance to score. Fatts took the shot when Davidson had no chance of scoring. Fatts took a 3 against VCU with 16 seconds left. VCU would have gotten the ball back with enough time to score. After the steal Fatts dribbled out the clock with 11 seconds as he should have.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

But it's pretty sad when the small, skinny Rhode Island manager even starts giving VCU players poop in the handshake line after the game.
If it were up to me, I'd have all 8 players up there, plus the skinny manager, just to bust balls. :mrgreen:

Sadly, it is not.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote: 4 years ago Agree there is a difference in the 2 scenarios

Vs Davidson the shot clock was expiring so it made more sense though he could not have shot it either way there

Vs VCU game was over no need to score there
The last possession of the game when the shot clock was on fats shot a three. He did the exact same thing, just not as close to no time left
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Enjoy!!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ok, I see. You get benefit of margin of victory but only up to 10 points. So we basically left 1 point on the table in the VCU game. So the points some posters made about justifying Russell taking the 3P shot with 1 second remaining in the Davidson Game was no more warranted for the Davidson game as it was for the VCU game. We could have gone for the 11 point victory vs VCU and gotten the benefit of 10 point win vs 9 point win. But then the Sportsmanship comes into play. I’d err on the side of Sportsmanship.

In addition, a cap of 10 points was applied to the winning margin to prevent rankings from encouraging unsportsmanlike play, such as needlessly running up the score in a game where the outcome was certain.

I'd err on the side of scoring the basketball...unwritten rules are the absolute worst.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

VCU gave the game up, Davidson didn't. It's that simple.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Thanks surf
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago

If it were up to me, I'd have all 8 players up there, plus the skinny manager, just to bust balls. :mrgreen:

Sadly, it is not.
I think the skinny manager ONLY for the day would be appropriate :lol: :lol: :lol:
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Yes, thanks surf!
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

Sadly, it is not.
I think the skinny manager ONLY for the day would be appropriate :lol: :lol: :lol:

Has to be done now! Call the fire department.

LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

Sadly, it is not.

Has to be done now! Call the fire department.

“He called the S*+# POOP” :lol: :lol: :lol: