2/19 | @ VCU | 8:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Re: 2/19 | @ VCU | 8:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Rammgr »

Never thought I'd say this but I miss Nicola Akele.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
BleedBlue87 wrote: 5 years ago I think it's pretty clear that this team has pretty much given up on the season. They haven't been motivated to follow this season through. This team is better than how they performing but the psyche is all messed up. Maybe Cox can get then motivated for Brooklyn, maybe they need a clean slate next year.

Any of you who think Cox is out at the end of the season are sorely mistaken. He is staying for at least one more year no matter how much crying you do on this board. Let's not hope for him to fail. Let's hope for him to turn the ship around.
Do I think Cox will be back next year? Yes. That doesn't mean that I think he should or that I'm going to start saying he deserves to be back. And hope is irrelevant. We all had hope before this season, and look where that got us. I know what I'm seeing. This is Jerry D all over again. This is late stage Baron all over again. Dude doesn't have it
Good for you. Glad you are able to in make those judgments after one season. You should apply for some AD jobs at some schools.
Glad you're ok with how awful this coach is. You should be an easy mark for scam artists looking to make a few bucks
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yeah I'm with those that are getting fed up with excuses....any coach new or otherwise worth his salt wouldn't be blaming all of this just on poor shooting.

The offense sucks not just because of shooting...it sucks because there's no rhyme or reason to it. Standing around watching one guy dribbling is ridiculous. What is the staff "teaching" these guys?

Some day we'll have a coach that can run a fluid offense.....last one we had was Harrick. And don't tell me that a young team can't do it...I see it on TV all the time.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Yeah I'm with those that are getting fed up with excuses....any coach new or otherwise worth his salt wouldn't be blaming all of this just on poor shooting.

The offense sucks not just because of shooting...it sucks because there's no rhyme or reason to it. Standing around watching one guy dribbling is ridiculous. What is the staff "teaching" these guys?

Some day we'll have a coach that can run a fluid offense.....last one we had was Harrick. And don't tell me that a young team can't do it...I see it on TV all the time.
It’s quite obvious Cox really is lost at the moment

I hope I am eating crow and he turns it around but I would grab a guy right now who knows how to run an offense
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

And a defense !
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Did he actually say "part of the process" in one of his quotes? Where have I heard that before?
Last edited by ramfan85 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Rhody Fans,

This just sucks. We worked so hard to get back to a NCAA tourney team. I did not watch the game last night but the last few games it seems like Cox is losing the team. I am troubled by the fact that it was this quick...especially for a guy that recruited most of the players on the court. The one thing the team doesn't have right now is CONFIDENCE. If they are looking to Cox to be the Papa Bear and have a good play or game plan - he is not communicating it effectively or just doesn't have one. Look at us coming out of a TO or to start the game or second half - we don't have a play - or the players are ignoring the play that Cox is calling. We have some GREAT players on our team. Cyril and Jeff are two time dance participants. They played great minutes for both teams. The supporting cast is lost but they are very capable. Someone needs to instill some CONFIDENCE in this team immediately or we are in for a long year next year. They will not fire Cox this year. He will get next year for sure as coach. They need a reset - maybe that's got to come from Thorr . Looking for progress to end our season - right now the ship is taking on water too fast. Someone bail us out - PLEASE
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's Baron 3.0!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

URIFIJI wrote: 5 years ago Rhody Fans,

This just sucks. We worked so hard to get back to a NCAA tourney team. I did not watch the game last night but the last few games it seems like Cox is losing the team. I am troubled by the fact that it was this quick...especially for a guy that recruited most of the players on the court. The one thing the team doesn't have right now is CONFIDENCE. If they are looking to Cox to be the Papa Bear and have a good play or game plan - he is not communicating it effectively or just doesn't have one. Look at us coming out of a TO or to start the game or second half - we don't have a play - or the players are ignoring the play that Cox is calling. We have some GREAT players on our team. Cyril and Jeff are two time dance participants. They played great minutes for both teams. The supporting cast is lost but they are very capable. Someone needs to instill some CONFIDENCE in this team immediately or we are in for a long year next year. They will not fire Cox this year. He will get next year for sure as coach. They need a reset - maybe that's got to come from Thorr . Looking for progress to end our season - right now the ship is taking on water too fast. Someone bail us out - PLEASE
The part about the players ignoring play calls? Kind of reverts back to Fatts ignoring Cox's play call when he made the 3 to win a game....that's ancient history now but it just might be pertinent to the problems this group is having.

When Fatts makes a 3 now, they should declare a national holiday.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

What were the repercussions for Fatts ignoring the play call at the end of the Harvard game? Not only were there no repercussions, it was a joke on the post game show. That's not how you get young players to play the game the right way
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago What were the repercussions for Fatts ignoring the play call at the end of the Harvard game? Not only were there no repercussions, it was a joke on the post game show. That's not how you get young players to play the game the right way
Hopefully being embarrassed on national tv will do the trick, players need to take a hard look at their play and make the adjustments to grow and develop.

They seem to be making a concerted effort to avoid taking threes (at least early in games) however that has the effect of teams packing it in on us and not opening up the offensive play. It’s like a broken record, we need to be able to shoot over the top to open up the offense.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Someone said this shooting thing is just a slump?

What, a ONE YEAR slump? That's no slump.

All of the freshmen came in with the rep of being good shooters. Obviously they caught the Fatts and CT virus and became bad shooters. Even Dowtin has caught the fever.

Well, Martin shot well after a slow start, but the bug has kicked in again for him.

The numbers for this team have to be approaching historically bad levels, if not there already.

It really is mind boggling. Regression to the mean? There is no "mean" for this team.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago
RIFan wrote: 5 years ago Those who say our freshman will be better next year, what makes you think that? Did Fatts improve?
David Cox, great guy as I met him last summer at the alumni event downtown. But I'm beginning to think Fatts is suffering from this coaching change as well. Fatts made game-winning plays on the biggest of stages defending a top 5 NBA pick just last season (v Oklahoma). I want to know what happened to that Fatts Russel. Because last season wasn't fake.
There is a big difference between a short, sparky PG who can be a great 5th scorer and provide great defensive tenacity at 20 minutes per game not having to really worry about foul trouble and a short PG who is expected to be a top offensive option and also provide the same defensive intensity while also being expected to play ~35 minutes per night. Fatts is not as bad as he has played this year but fans took the bait on the few highlight games he had (PC, Oklahoma, etc) and thought he could do that over 32+ games. It complete ignores the fact he was playing on the court with guys like Terrell, Matthews, Robinson, Dowtin, Berry, etc. People forgot that after the Alabama game last season, Fatts only shot 31.6% from the floor and 26% from 3, and those numbers were produced as a 4th/5th option getting plenty of open looks. That's a sample from 26 consecutive games. The pressure put on him to start the season was unfair, and I think the way the season has played out, people have started to see that his hype was more a product of his role and to expect such a huge production increase in a much bigger role was nearly an impossible situation.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago
RIFan wrote: 5 years ago Those who say our freshman will be better next year, what makes you think that? Did Fatts improve?
David Cox, great guy as I met him last summer at the alumni event downtown. But I'm beginning to think Fatts is suffering from this coaching change as well. Fatts made game-winning plays on the biggest of stages defending a top 5 NBA pick just last season (v Oklahoma). I want to know what happened to that Fatts Russel. Because last season wasn't fake.
There is a big difference between a short, sparky PG who can be a great 5th scorer and provide great defensive tenacity at 20 minutes per game not having to really worry about foul trouble and a short PG who is expected to be a top offensive option and also provide the same defensive intensity while also being expected to play ~35 minutes per night. Fatts is not as bad as he has played this year but fans took the bait on the few highlight games he had (PC, Oklahoma, etc) and thought he could do that over 32+ games. It complete ignores the fact he was playing on the court with guys like Terrell, Matthews, Robinson, Dowtin, Berry, etc. People forgot that after the Alabama game last season, Fatts only shot 31.6% from the floor and 26% from 3, and those numbers were produced as a 4th/5th option getting plenty of open looks. That's a sample from 26 consecutive games. The pressure put on him to start the season was unfair, and I think the way the season has played out, people have started to see that his hype was more a product of his role and to expect such a huge production increase in a much bigger role was nearly an impossible situation.
Hurley is the one who said Fatts would lead the A10 in scoring.......twice. Statements like that create pretty high expectations.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan was good....but he made his share of mistakes when it came to personnel...especially overhyping certain players and recruits.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

VCU
Mike Rhoades' team won a one-point game at Dayton and a blowout at home against Rhode Island in close succession. The Rams now stand at 20-6 overall and in sole possession of first place in the Atlantic 10, with a No. 11 seed waiting next month if mock brackets are to be trusted. The bad news, of course, is that mock brackets in February can't necessarily be trusted. The win at Texas will continue to serve VCU well, but it would have been nice if Dayton had been (or still rises to) six or seven spots higher in the NET rankings, thus affording Marcus Evans and company a second Quad 1 victory. Alas, it was not to be. Keep winning, Rams. (Updated: Feb. 19)

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... lls-bubble
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Dan was good....but he made his share of mistakes when it came to personnel...especially overhyping certain players and recruits.
And completely missing on others like Toppin and Joel Ntambwe (who is shooting 42% from 3, by the way) for example.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Dan was good....but he made his share of mistakes when it came to personnel...especially overhyping certain players and recruits.
And completely missing on others like Toppin and Joel Ntambwe (who is shooting 42% from 3, by the way) for example.
Every coach has stuff like this in his body of work, but I’m certainly glad we’ve identified that the current UConn coach is the REAL problem here. Wake up, sheeple!

Assistant coaches are like the guy on the roster that everyone thinks should be getting more minutes. A lot can be attributed to them or made up about how they’ll do, but you never know until they’re in it. A lot of the slams on Cox here are way over the top, but that comes with being the main guy.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah I know JH is a freshman, but will he ever approach how good Toppin is already?

That was a complete whiff-o....and I know about the academic issues....instead we got a good athlete who contributes little...and is a problem in the locker room evidently.

Even with Toppin this season, true we would have a much better inside game....but his effect wouldn't be as much as it's been for Dayton due to our complete lack of a perimeter game. At least the Flyers can hit 3 pt. shots now and then....we are consistent, as in never.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Are you talking about Harris when you're talking about the player who is a problem in the locker room? I'm not ready to agree with that
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Are you talking about Harris when you're talking about the player who is a problem in the locker room? I'm not ready to agree with that
He means Preston.

I think ATP should “break” the board for a day or so. Go spend your time watching YouTube videos of dogs walking in boots or something. I promise it’s a great use of your time.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Are you talking about Harris when you're talking about the player who is a problem in the locker room? I'm not ready to agree with that
He means Preston.

I think ATP should “break” the board for a day or so. Go spend your time watching YouTube videos of dogs walking in boots or something. I promise it’s a great use of your time.
But Ace, what would we do with our lives :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This kind of stuff always happens on message boards when things are bad. I read the Dayton and UConn boards occasionally.....they are no better.

Dan's miss on Toppin yes does happen to many coaches...it's just magnified when people are frustrated.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago
He means Preston.

I told you- watch videos of dogs in boots!

RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago still at 26 !

emBARONsing
To this day, whether at work or home, when someone says 'embarassing', I hear 'emBARONsing'

Thanks? ECR! :lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

He means Preston.

Dogs in boots...meh, ok. A Golden Retriever in boots...now yer talkin'!
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Can anyone explain Coach John Carroll’s absense at the game?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Interesting. Could have been recruiting but haven’t heard that.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 5 years ago Can anyone explain Coach John Carroll’s absense at the game?
Bill Koch teeeted that he was sick. He was at the game but didn’t come out to the bench.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 5 years ago Can anyone explain Coach John Carroll’s absense at the game?
Koch states that Carroll was sick.
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhodeIslandRams wrote: 5 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago still at 26 !

emBARONsing
To this day, whether at work or home, when someone says 'embarassing', I hear 'emBARONsing'

Thanks? ECR! :lol:

I am dead. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

all I can think of is the stache.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Watching URI play hoops made Johnny Carroll physically ill

Just kidding feel better Johnny
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
Do I think Cox will be back next year? Yes. That doesn't mean that I think he should or that I'm going to start saying he deserves to be back. And hope is irrelevant. We all had hope before this season, and look where that got us. I know what I'm seeing. This is Jerry D all over again. This is late stage Baron all over again. Dude doesn't have it
For the record, the offense stinks and the mental toughness appears decimated, but it's not Jerry D.
That guy was a total joke, and the program went into the sewer under him.
There are no indications whatsoever that the foundation of the program has been destroyed the way it was in '01.

And we're not even close to as bad as those teams...
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Jerry D was the in a tough postition then Cox though, roster and recruit wise.
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

He means Preston.

That dog looks thrilled!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As bad as things are now, it still doesn't come close to Jerry D bad....that guy was in a league of his own bad.

But having said that....if we get an exodus of players after this season...the red lights will be flashing.....and Thorr and Dooley had better pay attention.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

This is my all-time favorite dancing dog.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago As bad as things are now, it still doesn't come close to Jerry D bad....that guy was in a league of his own bad.

But having said that....if we get an exodus of players after this season...the red lights will be flashing.....and Thorr and Dooley had better pay attention.
I would be shocked by an exodus of players - I am sure there will be some roster movement but it won’t be red alert bad. Where would some of these guys transfer to anyways? Hey new team, want one the worst shooters on the country?!?

The only way out is to work harder and for the players here (and scheduled to be here) to improve their game. I posted it in another thread but 5 out the top 6 teams in the league this year, were .500 or worse last year.
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Who needs dogs ...

When I need a good laugh and an escape from reality, I go back and reread the Naheem McLeod forum. Right up there with unicorns and area 51.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago As bad as things are now, it still doesn't come close to Jerry D bad....that guy was in a league of his own bad.

Season still got a ways to go
I would not be surprised if we do not win another game.
Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Our coach has no fire......in what he says or how he acts......and his players are an extension of that on the court.

If it continues I see very little chance of a turnaround.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago I think my CUT BAIT posts alone will take me out if Carlton Owens starts alone
You might have something...I think your phrase is starting to catch on.

From an ESPN article about HanRam signing a minor league deal with Cleveland:

In three of his four seasons in Boston, Ramirez's OPS was below league average, and his .254/.313/.395 line last season led to Boston cutting bait and handing the full-time DH spot to J.D. Martinez and extra plate appearances to Mitch Moreland and eventually Steve Pearce.
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Watching URI play hoops made Johnny Carroll physically ill

Just kidding feel better Johnny
Coach Carroll is up at Leahy Clinic for an undisclosed illness.