NCAA Tournament - General Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: NCAA Tournament - General Discussion

Unread post by TruePoint »

peeps4life wrote:A10 is averaging 50% of league participation in NCAA?
If you lop off the bottom 4 A10 programs there is very little separating them.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That #2 RPI ranking the BE had this year turned out to be a little deceiving, didn't it?

They played the RPI game well, got rewarded for it too much by the committee.

Sooner or later selection committees have got to take into account, that some once mighty programs have been recent flops in the tournament.

It's not a one time thing, it's a trend. Georgetown is exhibit A when it comes to the NBE. Villanova is joining them.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The only NBE team left is Xavier, a most unimpressive team that that also got a unwarranted #6 seed. They lucked out in Baylor being eliminated, but Arizona most certainly will show them the exit in grand style before a big crowd of Zonies in LA.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Agreed and UCLA is the luckiest of the field.

Although I find Xavier to be pedestrian. Something must be said for how many sweet sixteens they have been to. The sweet sixteen is just what they do.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

rambone 78 wrote:That #2 RPI ranking the BE had this year turned out to be a little deceiving, didn't it?

They played the RPI game well, got rewarded for it too much by the committee.

Sooner or later selection committees have got to take into account, that some once mighty programs have been recent flops in the tournament.

It's not a one time thing, it's a trend. Georgetown is exhibit A when it comes to the NBE. Villanova is joining them.
it's hard to take any past history into account in college bball. there is constant turnover of players. can't penalize current players for past players' failures. you are rewarded by what you do during the regular season that year (or if you are UCLA).

NBE played the RPI game the same way A10 did last year.

look for the RPI to be less of a factor in upcoming years. "new" rankings like kenpom will come into play to favor power conferences.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Defense wins championships. I think the Big East struggles are due to them not playing very good defense and fundamental basketball. Sure the conference can recruit good talent, especially guys who can shoot, but there are a lot of kids who can shoot the ball well. Can they stop other teams from shooting well? Well that remains to be seen. Plus, in a tournament free throws, limited turnovers, and defense will ultimately be what separates the winners from the losers in my opinion. Hence, why there are so many upsets each year.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

do you really think defense was the NBE problem this year? check out shooting percentages of the losers. they were pathetic.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Re: the games currently going on, Notre Dame and Buter looks like it's going down to the wire. Butler guard just nailed a lonnnggg 3 to tie at 55 with 2:45 left.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Great game, and ND wins!
Then there was one- Xavier
So, after a season of chest pounding and trying to degrade
the A-10 and everyone else, the NBE
has as many in the Sweet 16 teams as the lowly A-10.
The terrible ACC has 3 so far and a chance for six by tomorrow.
The Pac 10 has three and an outside chance at one more.
Gotta love it.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Great game, and ND wins!
Gotta love it.

The A-10 doesn't have a team in the Sweet-16 yet. Dayton has to beat Oklahoma.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

peeps4life wrote:do you really think defense was the NBE problem this year? check out shooting percentages of the losers. they were pathetic.
Yup. Shooting percentages generally aren't very good when defenders are contesting the shots.
Shout out "thank you" to Notre Dame for proving my point just now. Bye, bye Butler.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I wrote this.

No I didn't, but I could have if I were a writer. I've definitely thought every word of it.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Each year, the tournament, aside from basketball, contains some really great human moments. Mike Brey talking about his mom in his post-game press conference just now was one of them.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

RF1 is right. I was thinking Dayton had won 2 games and 2 games usually
means Sweet 16.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:Each year, the tournament, aside from basketball, contains some really great human moments. Mike Brey talking about his mom in his post-game press conference just now was one of them.
The Georgia State thing, too.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Bad day for the NBE.

"Don't it make your brown eyes blue?"
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Obadiah wrote:The only NBE team left is Xavier, a most unimpressive team that that also got a unwarranted #6 seed. They lucked out in Baylor being eliminated, but Arizona most certainly will show them the exit in grand style before a big crowd of Zonies in LA.
X proved they deserved their seed by smoking Ole Miss and handling their business. Sweet 16 is the Sweet 16.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, 1 out of 6 ain't bad.....
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

seanmc94 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:The only NBE team left is Xavier, a most unimpressive team that that also got a unwarranted #6 seed. They lucked out in Baylor being eliminated, but Arizona most certainly will show them the exit in grand style before a big crowd of Zonies in LA.
X proved they deserved their seed by smoking Ole Miss and handling their business. Sweet 16 is the Sweet 16.

#6 seed Xavier beat #11 Ole Miss and #14 Ga State to get to the Sweet-16. They have done what they should have but a #6 seed beating double digit seeds is no great feat.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
josephski wrote: You can say the BE is overseeded all you want but they still went 4-2 on the first two days with PC being the only team to get upset and Butler even pulled off a slight upset.
BECAUSE they were overseeded and haven't had to play anyone yet. Just watch.
Ding ding
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

X should have been an 8 or a 9.

At least they won those games though.

This year, a mid pack BE team like X gets in, where a mid pack A10 team will almost never get in.

That's their advantage being in that conference. Also explains why a lot of Dayton people want them to join.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

RF1 wrote:
seanmc94 wrote:

#6 seed Xavier beat #11 Ole Miss and #14 Ga State to get to the Sweet-16. They have done what they should have but a #6 seed beating double digit seeds is no great feat.
I love Xavier, always have, a program who I wish we would be able to model ourselves to. They however were over seeded this year. They were very much a bubble team going into the BE tournament. A .500 record with 13 losses in a non power conference is not 6 seed material. Beat Arizona then we can talk.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

RF1 wrote:
seanmc94 wrote:

Xavier did indeed take care of what it was supposed to. So, what's the big deal? The games didn't have the cache? If Ga. State won yesterday, the board would have had a multiple orgasm.

I can''t wait until URI wins at least two or more Tournament games in a single season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAITING FOR BIG AND BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I thought most of the New Catholic Big East (NCBE) teams that made the tournament got seeded far better than was merited. The league's play in the tournament has only reinforced that perception. I then ask myself why the committee gave these teams such good seed lines. I have to wonder if it is because they hadn't seen them play in months. Almost no NCBE teams have been on a major tv network since December. Back in November and December, the NCBE did quite well in the OOC and a lot of people saw this on tv as the games were on a variety of networks. Once league play started however, games switched off to the hard to find and little watched FS1 sports network. While the NCBE teams that did well in the OOC piled up more wins, no one was really watching them. The NCBE Tourney Championship game is a prime example as its ratings were miniscule and even less than the prior year. Could the fact that the NCBE's tv ratings were so bad actually have helped fool people?
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

The NBE’s relevance is being shored up by the money FOX is dumping into their FOX Sports 1 Network as a result of FOX taking on ESPN in a no-holds-barred war. Only time will tell if Fox will get a return on its 12 year, $500 million investment with the NBE. Some games, ex. St.J v. PC in February drew only 48,000 viewers and FS1 averaged 95,000 viewers in 2014-15. It’s ironic that ESPN’s paring with Big East in the early days helped mainstream the first national all sports network.

I was disappointed with Xavier’s’ one and done with the A-10. However, Commissioner McGlade’s addition of Davidson to the fold now seems to have compensated for that loss. In the future, she really needs to concentrate on getting the A-10 a TV deal that allows us to compete with those held by the other Major/Mid-major conferences. To her credit the combination of SNY/CBS sports/NBC sports networks allowed us to view every A-10 Conference Tournament game.
And a wow to the ND/Butler game. No baskets scored in the last 2:56, I never saw that before!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe, but their RPI's were all very good, and the committee loves them some RPI when the conference as a whole was ranked 2nd in the country.

Not having too many bottom feeder drags, like the A10 has, really help them too.

Even teams like DePaul and Seton Hall did well OOC, and that helped prop up everyone else.

They didn't have 4 200+ RPI killers to deal with, like we did.

Also in the A10 this season, even some of our mid pack teams had horrible losses in the OOC schedule.

Ashcat, good luck getting a much better TV deal. The numbers weren't good across the board. Who wants to see Fordham play LaSalle in front of 800 "live" fans in a 2300 seat dump [RHG]?
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Great game, and ND wins!
Gotta love it.
Did not expect people on this board to be rooting for the Big East teams but the fact the Big East failed miserably and the A10 had six last year I believe and did not fair very well either. If you think all the P5 schools winning is good for your school you could not be more wrong. Eventually it could mean the Big East and A10 are down to 1 or 2 bid leagues.I know people will not believe me but I root for all the basketball only because in the long run it is better for my school.I will be rooting for Dayton today which is actually not hard to do they are a classy team that totally outplayed my team and deserved to win.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

wooden, you very well might be right.

We've all seen the hosing that the committee gave to a lot of non P5 schools on SS.

It's likely a harbinger of things to come.

It's going to get tougher and tougher to mid majors to get at large bids in the future.

If you're a P5 school, why would you want to schedule a team like URI going forward?

The deck is stacked for teams in those conferences.

The only non P5 conference that has an advantage, is the BE with 10 teams, all of which aren't "bad" when you compare them to the dreck we have at the bottom of our conference.

McGlade has her work cut out for her, to try and get those programs to commit to be better. If they won't, they need to go.
Last edited by rambone 78 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

RB, Perhaps Gina will can her aspirations to become POTUS and succeed Bernadette and make everything alright?
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I know you are attempting to be clever; but that clip illustrates one thing to me. Watch the whole clip; when Dunn goes backdoor, the Dayton player grabs him(no call). The Dayton player that blocked Dunns shot gets into his body first. No call. 31-7 FTs for a team that plays aggressive man to man.

Must be nice to be perfect.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

seanmc94 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:This is fun:

http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/team:NCAAB:DAYTON/416191043880/0/pollard-blocks-providence
I know you are attempting to be clever; but that clip illustrates one thing to me. Watch the whole clip; when Dunn goes backdoor, the Dayton player grabs him(no call). The Dayton player that blocked Dunns shot gets into his body first. No call. 31-7 FTs for a team that plays aggressive man to man.

There have been alot of ridiculous and misinformed observations made on this board, but that right there goes directly to the top of the list. Are you out of you're friggan mind ? Dunn was grabbed on the backdoor cut? I had to watch it twice in SLOW MOTION to even be sure the Dayton player actually touched him, never mind grab him... the block itself was an incredible defensive effort, nothing more, if you cant see that then you're just still grieving from the loss. Honestly, we know you're much better than this, there's no way you are playing the bad officiating card with this loss. 31-7 in free throws? wonder if that had anything to do with the game plan to hoist jump shots instead of utilizing you're (2) 7 footers. 12 of Daytons 31 FT's came in the final 2 minutes when pc was forced to start fouling. Reading the pc board has been both sad and entertaining, its amazing how some Friar fans get it and how some just cant come to grips that pc got waxed by an under seeded team who just outplayed and out-coached them, the myriad of excuses is a joke, good teams find ways to win in adverse situations, pc folded up and showed zero mental or physical toughness, enough with the excuses.. man up.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

seanmc94 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:This is fun:

http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/team:NCAAB:DAYTON/416191043880/0/pollard-blocks-providence

Let it go, seanmc. It was a bang-bang play. PC didn't play well, leaden feet all night long. The call against Dunn was garbage, the call against Cooley was garbage.
PC, however, played like garbage.
And, yes, I wish URI had had a chance to play in the NCAA.
P.S. The PC board is a morose place; what's the perspective today?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Xavier was "one and done" in the A-10? What happened to the other 20 or so years?
As for rooting against the NBE. When you've read all year all the chest pounding,
about how wonderful they were and how inferior everyone else was, it's really
easy to root against them.
The only NBE team advancing has a team with many A-10 recruits on it.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

As for Cooley's T for throwing his chair being a call that is never made, that is not so. URI fans can recall our head coach getting called for a T for a much less demonstrative act. Who here recalls Rhody Coach Al Skinner being T'd up for taking off his jacket and throwing onto his chair in a game at St. Joe's in the mid 90's? Skinner's actions were far less egregious than Cooley's.
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Do you have eyes? Even in the picture when the block happens there is a foot between their bodies? The guys name is Kendall Pollard, he played for Simeon HS you maybe have heard of them. Like most PC fans you know little but BE basketball, however KD probably knows his name now. The idiots on that board degrading Dayton is classic, then we have to hear how X whipped Ole Miss -- the same Ole Miss Dayton already beat this year? If Dayton moved to the BE the same exact posters would be exalting at what a great program they are, great fans, tradition. No one cares what % of your teams go to the tournament, moving to the 2nd weekend and further is all that matters. The only BE team left is a former A10 team. The hubris and ignorance is mind blowing -- i guess its coffee milk and crow for breakfast this morning on Smith Street. BE = A10. The fact more people are watching CSPAN than FS1 will eventually make that big check look like a deal with the devil.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yep, PC and friends had better enjoy their windfall while it lasts, because when it's time for a new deal, those dollars will shrink BIG TIME.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Ashcat wrote:RB, Perhaps Gina will can her aspirations to become POTUS and succeed Bernadette and make everything alright?
PRINCESS OF THE UNDERWHELMING SHYSTERS

http://www.toutceciestmagnifique.com/20 ... witch.html
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

sean, you may find this recipe useful and I have heard from several PC sources that it is quite good. A good whine goes perfect with the dish and I know that you and your Friar cohorts are expert at whine.

FRIARS CROW HASH

4 or 5 crows
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can chicken broth
1/4 c. butter
Salt & Pepper to taste
Juice from 1/2 lemon
8-12 oz. sliced mushrooms
Flour
1 bay leaf
Rice or toast

THE MARINADE:

1 pt. vinegar
1 pt. water
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Skin the crows. Cut away any fat. Cut bird in half. Mix marinade. Pour over crow in glass container for 24 hours in refrigerator. Discard marinade. Boil crow in a pot with water, 1 bay leaf. Remove meat from bone, slicing it against the grain. In a large fry pan heat butter, mushrooms and add chicken broth, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 20 minutes. Thicken with flour. Serve over rice or toast. Serves 4 PC fans.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

This is kind of funny.
On FB, Scott Cordischi posted that the NBE is kidding themselves into
thinking without all the members who went elsewhere, that it's the same
league as before, and nowhere near as good as the ACC..
He goes on to write how overrated they were, and a lot of what's been said here.
Well, the comments attacking Syracuse were rampant.
Stuff pointing out UNC's academic scandal, and Pitino. Just
diverting from the subject of what's happened on the court yesterday.
The most ironic comment was John Rooke yelling that it's the body of work that
matters, and Cordischi is narrow minded.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Ob,

Pretty clever. However, we Friars prefer to dine on roast Lamb.

Recipe is as follows:

pound the Lamb on the hardwood until tender every December for the past five years.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Rod,

No one thinks the NBE is the same conference is once was. However, everyone crapping on it like it's god awful is ridiculous. The NBE pounded it's OOC schedule. It deserved high praise. Is it the second best conference? NO. But it's in the top 4. It's funny how no one mentions the Big 12's prowess in the tourney.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Friars hockey team has been selected for the 2015 NCAA Tournament. It will play better seeded Miami-OH just miles from campus at the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence. I wonder how many PC fans will moan about how unfair this is for the RedHawks as it will basically be a home game for the worse seed Friars.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RF1
that is classic. I wonder how they will respond. Eliminates the Dayton got a home game excuse for sure.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It will be widely ignored.
How can the NBE be even 4th, when there will be ACC, Pac 10, Big12,
and Big 10, with more representation in the NCAA than the NBE?
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

You know, sean, I can reel you in anytime I want, can't I. I even predicted what you had to say, much like sunsets follow sunrises - the phrase is "five straight and counting". Am I not right! And you don't even realize that you actually followed up a post from rod, clearly confirming his comment that most Friar comments are off the subject. I guess in your warped mind the fact we lost 5 straight to PC means we cannot comment on the NBE performance in the Big Dance.

On a more serious note, the reason the PC fan base is so low class is because of your disrespect to all your competitors - UConn, BC, URI, Rutgers and this week Dayton, etc., etc. When faced with a call-out on facts or logic, you always resort to irrelevant comments e.g.."toothless fans who marry cousins" (WVU), safety schools chants, and I could go on and on. This behavior is part and parcel of the PC hubris which you so aptly show.

Oh, BTW, I bet my Dad can beat up your Dad.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Has anyone noticed how many Who songs are used in commercials? Pete Townshend must be making a fortune from this tournament.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote:RF1
that is classic. I wonder how they will respond. Eliminates the Dayton got a home game excuse for sure.

The irony and hypocrisy is just so rich. Friar fans are celebrating the placement of their hockey team in Providence where they will play just a mile from campus against the regional's top seeded Miami RedHawks from Ohio. Is it fair for the top seed to have to play the likely last selected at large participant in a venue so close to home?

Somehow the RI based Friars getting a pre-set near home (1 mile from campus) hockey game vs a better seeded Ohio team is fine. It is however somehow not so fine to send a #6 seed hoops team from RI to Ohio where it MIGHT (provided #11 seed Dayton can win a play in game) face an Ohio team that is located some 70 MILES from the tournament venue site.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RF1 wrote:The Friars hockey team has been selected for the 2015 NCAA Tournament. It will play better seeded Miami-OH just miles from campus at the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence. I wonder how many PC fans will moan about how unfair this is for the RedHawks as it will basically be a home game for the worse seed Friars.
This is actually outstanding for local hockey.....I will make every effort to be there....

I actually only hate the basketball Friars.....
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!