2014-15 Schedule

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: 2014-15 Schedule

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

As a Friar fan I've seen this for much of the last decade. Overall attendances around 7,500. Why? Thanks UCONN, Syracuse, Louisville, etc. Big names come to town, people were showing up despite the fact that from I believe 09-12, PC had 12 conference wins in 3 seasons. Even as a team improves, it still matters. PC was a bubble team basically all last season. Despite that, still drew poor a few times (Maine, Vermont, Yale). Yale was less than 4K, the other 2 just above 5k. Drew very well in conference against decent comp, despite a 2k 9PM snow game.

My impressions of PC and URI are relatively the same, PC is just a year or two ahead. Both were down for a long time. Both struggled to draw. Both lacked student support. Don't see why URI would be much different in terms of having casual fans who weren't drawn to "brand name" teams and would prefer watching on TV. In fact, I think the TV aspect is more harmful to games against bad programs than good ones. People want the atmosphere of a "big" game. But if you could stay home and watch games against Pace or Yale or Maine that should be an auto win, what is the appeal of going?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Attendance issues are everywhere from the pros to colleges. As an example:

The University of Michigan is resorting to a gimmick whereby if you buy two coke products (for as low as $1.50 ea), you get two tickets to their Big-10 football game against Minnesota.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2207 ... e-products
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Face value of the tickets for that Mochigan promotion is up to $150. Michigan is having major, major interest issues, primarily among their students. It should be noted that this promotion was done on campus in the student union to try to increase student attendance.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

At Michigan it is only about their record. Once they win or even replace this coach that stadium will be filled again. At URI the problems run much deeper, and it is going to take winning, better home schedules, better arena experience and more to get the RC full on a consistent basis.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

BAR, there is some truth to what you're saying and there are obvious differences between Michigan football and URI basketball. The common thread, as you pointed out, is that the students aren't going to come out in force unless they have something to be excited about. We've made this point before here: it used to be that students went to the games more or less regardless, because it was the thing to do on campus. It just isn't that way anymore. Athletics has to fight for these kids' attention, and if the team isn't good nobody is going to care. When the team is winning, going to the games will be the 'thing' again.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

TP - I used to think that all it would take is winning to bring back student interest. I am not so sure anymore. Winning will help for sure but it will take something more to make it the thing for students to do. It needs to be a fun atmosphere.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The atmosphere has to be fun, but I think the injection of a couple thousand students will go a long way towards that. I think a lot of attempts to engineer fun fall flat and tend to have the opposite effect. I'd be very wary about trying to artificially create a fun atmosphere. The way you get fun is to get students in the building and then let them make it fun (i.e., let them do whatever they want).

Having said that, every effort made to make the Ryan a first class facility is appreciated and certainly doesn't hurt. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking more about gimmicky stuff.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

I would go just to stare at the new ribbon wrap and scoreboard. Incredible! Mesmerizing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Maybe we can use that to hypnotize people into coming back for more games during timeouts?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RoadyJay wrote:I would go just to stare at the new ribbon wrap and scoreboard. Incredible! Mesmerizing!

I think the video board upgrade/wrap will have a significant effect on keeping students' heads UP, rather than down at their OWN screens. It's going to make a big difference in the cool-factor which is so necessary to lure the students.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Lots of great ideas here about updating the area around campus. We should keep that conversation going, so I created a thread for it (link below) so we can save this one for scheduling talk.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3795
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Getting back to the schedule, my theory is that the opening game against Pace was originally set-up as an exhibition game and when the Athletics staff came up empty on getting any further Ryan games, they turned the game into a regular season game. What else explains the fact that last year we had a exhibition match against Southern CT State which is in the same conference - the Northeast-10 - as Pace, and eventually won the conference championship whereas Pace has been a bottom feeder in that same league for years.

And since the NCAA Selection Committee does not count games against D2 opponents, URI plays a 28 game schedule and a quasi exhibition game against Pace. The Pace game plus the UMass-Lowell game will provide scant preparation for the Nebraska game and the only silver lining is that the game against the Cornhuskers (don't you love that name) is at Ryan.

Apart from three missing games against D1 opponents, the OOC schedule is not too bad, saved as it is by Orlando, the PC, Nebraska, and Southern Miss games.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

BTW, Pace has just added the URI game to their schedule on the Pace Athletics website. Before today it was not listed.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Their name is the Pace Setters. Haha get it?
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Too cute. I hope they play like dogs.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

I would have gone with the "Makers"
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I like the "Errs"
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

URI96 wrote:I would have gone with the "Makers"
Yes! Thank you for the sign idea :lol: :lol:
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Last year we opened a highly anticipated season against an old Yankee Conference foe, Maine, and drew 5,410. This year in another highly anticipated season we will open the schedule versus a D2 school, Pace, and the size of the opening night crowd will be interesting.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote:Last year we opened a highly anticipated season against an old Yankee Conference foe, Maine, and drew 5,410. This year in another highly anticipated season we will open the schedule versus a D2 school, Pace, and the size of the opening night crowd will be interesting.

My guess is that attendance will be much lower than last year. I don't think a Friday night game against a D2 school will draw well. The fact that there are two other games in the following 8 days including a home match-up with Nebraska the next Saturday may also hurt. People may decide to make one of those games their first visit to the Ryan Center for the season.

The best hope for attendance for the Pace game is to get thousands of students to go, especially the freshmen that make up a significant % of the on campus resident population.
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I don't think it will matter. Most ticket holders will see "Game 1" on their tickets and show up to watch a game that matters, as opposed to a game that is marketed as an exhibition.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And many students will not be on campus on Friday night.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Last year they got 1365 students on the Friday night of Veterans Day weekend. Whatever they did for Maine, do it again for Pace!
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Last year they got 1365 students on the Friday night of Veterans Day weekend. Whatever they did for Maine, do it again for Pace!
There must have been free food involved.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

See I hope they don't do it for Pace...I don't want the freshmen to have their first impression of uri ball games to be a boring blowout
Clapton is God
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Blowouts that we win are never boring

gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

To you and I yes that is true. But to an 18 year old who has maybe never been to a college basketball game before and his first experience is a preseason type game i would say that could be boring to a few of them.
Clapton is God
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Students don't care. It will be regular season in every respect with regard to in-game fan experience. New huge video boards, ribbon, audio system. ALL the things that get students' attention...and oh yeah, the team will be lighting it up with scoring and dunks and exciting plays. Are you serious?!!?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

+1 ATP

some folks over thinking things here, students like wins. and dunks, block shots, etc. i would expect this to be the most exciting Ram team in quite some time, with wins the students will show up.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Students don't care. It will be regular season in every respect with regard to in-game fan experience. New huge video boards, ribbon, audio system. ALL the things that get students' attention...and oh yeah, the team will be lighting it up with scoring and dunks and exciting plays. Are you serious?!!?
RI Red has been saying this for many years - win the the fans will show up - including students.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

University of Nebraska Game Saturday November 22 at 7pm.
Pray that all goes well for this Assistant Coach's 7 year old son.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... transplant
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

ATPTourFan wrote:Students don't care. It will be regular season in every respect with regard to in-game fan experience. New huge video boards, ribbon, audio system. ALL the things that get students' attention...and oh yeah, the team will be lighting it up with scoring and dunks and exciting plays. Are you serious?!!?
Okay, O-K-A-Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) Just give them free food.

2) Give them a free t-shirt.

3) Have a Wet T-shirt Contest for males and females with free t-shirts.

4) Maybe Free Sex for any and all persuasions!

5) What else can be done for them???? OH, YEAH -- FREE POT, UPPERS, DOWNERS, LSD, ECSTASY!!!!!!

Guess what….THEY'D STILL BE BORED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Youth is wasted on the young.

Stop pandering. ENOUGH!!!!

P.S. Anyone up for 1-5?!?!?!?!?!!?!?
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote:
RI Red has been saying this for many years - win the the fans will show up - including students.
Pretty much every study I've seen on attendance suggests that the only way to consistently draw people in is by winning - The last one I can remember is in Soccernomics from 2009, I believe. Obviously, if you win for a long time (Duke), you build up more good will than teams that surprise (Florida Gulf Coast). Crowds also tend to be savvy when it comes to purchasing tickets - URI had 20-win seasons during the Baron years, and while there was an uptick in ticket sales, there wasn't much of a year to year carryover effect because they ultimately didn't make NCAA tournaments.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

our coach looking awkward with pop star Iggy Azalea -- haha

http://instagram.com/p/tgia9nzbnb/?modal=true
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I want some of what Bressler is having.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

this explains the no exhibition, I believe you are allowed 2 games to no count against your record (these can be either exhibitions vs non d1 schools or closed doors scrimmages against d1 schools)
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Are these open to the public?
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

no, not open to the public or media
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

We scrimmaged Manhattan last year or the year before.
PC is also scrimmaging Harvard.
One is a wild, running team, the other is a disciplined Ivy League team.
Hurley should be able to get a good handle on where players are at
before the Pace game.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

We learned last year that while they are closed DURING the scrimmage to fans or media, coaches ARE allowed to discuss them with media following the event.
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

and now we wait for the date/time releases
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Very interesting. I hope everyone keeps these quotes in mind when bitching about scheduling all the time.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I would have rather played a real game vs Harvard or Manhattan and an exhibition vs Pace.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

RF1 wrote:I would have rather played a real game vs Harvard or Manhattan and an exhibition vs Pace.
I'm sure Hurley would have too.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote:I would have rather played a real game vs Harvard or Manhattan and an exhibition vs Pace.
Why didnt they think of that! Genius idea!!!

Congrats on being the first person to completely ignore what he said about scheduling just so you could have something to complain about.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Harvard is ranked #43 on the top 144 list. Manhattan not in the top 144. But two very good games for us nonetheless.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Harvard is consistently being named in pre-season Top 25s.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm glad Dan said what he said, but you didn't need to hear it from him. All you had to do was look at the schedule to know it is a difficult exercise for us right now. This isn't Xbox where you get to just make your own schedule exactly how you want it.