General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago 83, got anything on 19's? Like for next year? We have two open schollies.
I think they will get one more player. The second scholly might not be available until the Fall. I think they will hold that for potential mid year transfer. No idea who they use the scholarship on (‘19, grad transfer or transfer).
Just concerning we have 2 open spots for next year. With summer classes starting soon.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago 83, got anything on 19's? Like for next year? We have two open schollies.
I think they will get one more player. The second scholly might not be available until the Fall. I think they will hold that for potential mid year transfer. No idea who they use the scholarship on (‘19, grad transfer or transfer).
Just concerning we have 2 open spots for next year. With summer classes starting soon.
Bonavaventure fans are pretty excited tonight about the strong possibility that Kareem Reid announces for them tomorrow afternoon and VCU fans are very optimistic about landing PF Hason Ward. Both are eligible to play this fall. The teams at the top of the A10 are getting stronger.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reckless jake wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago

Bonavaventure fans are pretty excited tonight about the strong possibility that Kareem Reid announces for them tomorrow afternoon and VCU fans are very optimistic about landing PF Hason Ward. Both are eligible to play this fall. The teams at the top of the A10 are getting stronger.
I don’t see Hason Ward having an impact next season. I watched him play HS this year (only 15 mins away). He was very limited. When he played against Taelon Martin, Martin (projected as college PG) covered Ward. Martin was the tallest player on his team at 6’3”. Ward is 6’9” and didn’t do much.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Great Philly HS from this last season. Watch it and identify who you feel are the top prospects in the game. Make your decisions before the after game interviews.

OhioRam32
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OhioRam32 »

So are we trying to add another player for this upcoming season or have we passed our focus on to '20 recruits? If we are still trying for '19 guys or JUCO guys, who are our primary targets? Bones, I'm assuming, but who else? If you could not tell from my name, I am in Ohio so I am pretty out of touch with everything haha.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UMass signs its 6th recruit. Unrated SF from GA. They are going to have a completely new team next year. It’s like they hired a new coach and are rebuilding. But it was just the HC keeping his job by firing all his Assistants.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Anyone near Hampton, VA can see some Rhody recruits this weekend.
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

https://www.prephoops.com/2019/05/wired ... h-edition/

take it for what it's worth, but local DMV writer thinks we will be focusing on leggett and miles, would be excited to get both these guys or even one.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago https://www.prephoops.com/2019/05/wired ... h-edition/

take it for what it's worth, but local DMV writer thinks we will be focusing on leggett and miles, would be excited to get both these guys or even one.
Was about to post Leggett and Miles as the priority earlier today but was unable to verify. I also think focusing on a big (Center preferred) is also a priority. Leggett and Miles are both listed a SGs so I think it would be one but not both.

I believe Cox will use current scholarship open from Thompson on a player for 19-20 team (assuming they get a commit from a player that has the talent level to be a rotation player). I believe the other scholarship will be used for a mid year transfer or a ‘20 recruit.

They need to use the scholarships for three positions - PG (#1 priority for ‘20), C and SG (Miles or Leggett). Possibly Cox feels he can convert Leggett to PG. They did convert Jeff from HS SG/CG to PG. Leggett is from the same HS (St Johns College HS). Cox has a great relationship with the HS coach.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Does Memphis and Penny Hardaway get even stronger after this weekend?

After huddling with his family in New York, Precious Achiuwa will make his college choice “this weekend,” he announced on Twitter.
Ranked the No. 14 prospect in 2019 and the No. 4 small forward by 247Sports.com, the 6-foot-9 McDonald’s All-American forward from Montverde (FL) Academy is expected to choose between Kansas and Memphis. Georgia and North Carolina are no longer in the mix, sources said.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/05/15/pre ... is-weekend
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago https://www.prephoops.com/2019/05/wired ... h-edition/

Was about to post Leggett and Miles as the priority earlier today but was unable to verify. I also think focusing on a big (Center preferred) is also a priority. Leggett and Miles are both listed a SGs so I think it would be one but not both.

I believe Cox will use current scholarship open from Thompson on a player for 19-20 team (assuming they get a commit from a player that has the talent level to be a rotation player). I believe the other scholarship will be used for a mid year transfer or a ‘20 recruit.

They need to use the scholarships for three positions - PG (#1 priority for ‘20), C and SG (Miles or Leggett). Possibly Cox feels he can convert Leggett to PG. They did convert Jeff from HS SG/CG to PG. Leggett is from the same HS (St Johns College HS). Cox has a great relationship with the HS coach.
Leggett will never be a PG. he’s more of 2/3.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

So, the other teams in the A10 are focusing on adding size, and we are looking to add 6'2" SFs?
Does not seem like a winning strategy to me.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

what are you talking about? We have size, have you looked at the makeup of our roster
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

So, the other teams in the A10 are focusing on adding size, and we are looking to add 6'2" SFs?
Does not seem like a winning strategy to me.
I am sure DC Rams knows what position Leggett would play in college. He has seen him play plenty of times.

Regarding size - really :o
On the current roster
SF - Martin 6’6”, Tate 6’7”, Long 6’5” & Mading 6’10”
SG - Dowtin 6’3”, Sheppard 6’1” & Hammond 6’5”
PG - Fatts 5’10”, Dowtin 6’3”
PF/C - Cyril 6’8, Harris 6’8, Walker 6’9, Tate 6’7

Recruits being discussed
SG - Miles 6’7” & Leggett 6’2”
rhodyblue12
ARD

Just a little frustrated.
It has been stated the PG was a focus of 2020. I assumed Leggett was a PG.
You are saying he is not ('will never be') - and I have to believe you - therefore he is not filling a need.
(unless he is a 40% 3-pt shooter - is he?)

WRT the roster: We have exactly one player over 6'8", and he is a wing. The league has changed focus.
We will have trouble with Brajkovic, Toppin and Osunniyi over the next three years if we don't add someone who can guard them.
This year, teams will likely go after Langevine like they attacked Hass - trying to get him in foul trouble.
We need depth there. That should be a focus for 2019.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago Just a little frustrated.
You are saying he is not ('will never be') - and I have to believe you - therefore he is not filling a need.

WRT the roster: We have exactly one player over 6'8", and he is a wing. The league has changed focus.
We will have trouble with Brajkovic, Toppin and Osunniyi over the next three years if we don't add someone who can guard them.
This year, teams will likely go after Langevine like they attacked Hass - trying to get him in foul trouble.
We have legitimate length. We will get Leggett or Miles, not both. Staff is also recruiting a true BIG. I am not the least bit worried. We will be better this season, count on it.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 years ago Just a little frustrated.

Cyril is 6’8” 225
Antwan Walker is 6’9” 230. Toppin is 6’9” 220.
Osunniyi is 6’10” 190
Brajkovic is 6’10” 220 - likes to play outside and can’t jump.

Rebounds per game 18-19
Cyril 9.9
Osunniyi 7.6
Brajkovic 6.0
Toppin 5.6

I also believe that Harris is 6’9” (but gorhody.com list him at 6’8”).
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I’ve seen Langevine post on Insta that he is 240 lbs. i’ve also seen Long mentioned as 6’7”.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago I’ve seen Langevine post on Insta that he is 240 lbs. i’ve also seen Long mentioned as 6’7”.
I have as seen that from Long as well but websites list him at 6’5”. He can definitely rebound.
Cyril is a strong man. I don’t care how much he weighs. He can handle himself underneath.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago I’ve seen Langevine post on Insta that he is 240 lbs. i’ve also seen Long mentioned as 6’7”.
I have as seen that from Long as well but websites list him at 6’5”. He can definitely rebound.
Cyril is a strong man. I don’t care how much he weighs. He can handle himself underneath.
Long is a legit 6’7 and his frame is getting bigger.
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Agree with the view on Leggett, he's not a true PG and see him as more of Jared Terrell type if he continues to develop his shot. I have seen him play a bit, but mostly on video, but do think he has the tools to be successful at the college level. my kid actually swims at the multi-purpose facility Team Durant practices at - hoping to catch the team in the next few weeks.

'83 have your heard anything about Taelon Martin up in your neck of the woods? Are we still involved with him?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hearing Cox interested in adding a 2/3 not a 4/5 for 19
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Hearing Cox interested in adding a 2/3 not a 4/5 for 19
Makes sense with the departures of Christion and Omar.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bkoeppen wrote: 5 years ago

Agree with the view on Leggett, he's not a true PG and see him as more of Jared Terrell type if he continues to develop his shot. I have seen him play a bit, but mostly on video, but do think he has the tools to be successful at the college level. my kid actually swims at the multi-purpose facility Team Durant practices at - hoping to catch the team in the next few weeks.

'83 have your heard anything about Taelon Martin up in your neck of the woods? Are we still involved with him?
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Regarding Taelon Martin.
Something is up with Taelon Martin. He isn’t playing AAU this Spring which is critical between Jr/Sr year. He could be hurt.
I think Rhody is wait and see on him. They have probably backed off some. He needs a big AAU Summer session.
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Regarding Taelon Martin.
Something is up with Taelon Martin. He isn’t playing AAU this Spring which is critical between Jr/Sr year. He could be hurt.
I think Rhody is wait and see on him. They have probably backed off some. He needs a big AAU Summer session.
very strange that he isn't playing AAU this spring - makes sense on the wait and see approach.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/recr ... it-achiuwa Boy is Memphis going to be loaded. If penny can just figure out to coach in game and get these guys to mesh watch out.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Regarding Taelon Martin.
Why would they back off a 4 star?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

sevegny7 wrote: 5 years ago http://www.espn.com/college-sports/recr ... it-achiuwa Boy is Memphis going to be loaded. If penny can just figure out to coach in game and get these guys to mesh watch out.
Yikes! Goes to show what a high profile coach can do.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Precious was Dan’s #1 target since he got to UConn. St Benedicts kid. Still a very good recruiting class for UConn with three Top 100 players. Precious had jumped all the way up to #14 and Akok dropped down to #87.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Memphis recruiting class is absolutely insane. Wonder what a class like this costs?

• James Wiseman 5* (#1)
• Precious Achiuwa 5* (#14)
• Boogie Ellis 4* (#37)
• DJ Jeffries 4* (#48)
• Lester Quinones 4* (#56)
• Malcolm Dandridge 4* (#98)
• Damion Baugh 4* (#108)
• Rayjon Tucker (One of the top grad transfers)

Don’t @ me about the rankings or stars, I ripped this list off Reddit.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Precious was Dan’s #1 target since he got to UConn. St Benedicts kid. Still a very good recruiting class for UConn with three Top 100 players. Precious had jumped all the way up to #14 and Akok dropped down to #87.
Akok’s composite rating is a little off because Rivals dropped him as a 2019 because of his mid-year commitment. He’s 61 on ESPN, 21 on 247.

UConn’s been out on Achiuwa for a while. He let St. Ben’s for Montverde, and his recruitment has been wild ever since. I side-eye any player who visits Western Kentucky and Stansbury :)

Memphis is going to be so much fun to watch and follow this season- tons of talent, should win, but a slight chance for it all to go off the rails. That’s a lot of new, young talent to work in for a relatively inexperienced coach, at least at the college level. I loved Penny as a player and hope he can do well with this new role.
rhodyblue12
ARD

They may have to pay the luxury tax next year. Over the cap.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

STC wrote: 5 years ago Memphis recruiting class is absolutely insane. Wonder what a class like this costs?

• James Wiseman 5* (#1)
• Boogie Ellis 4* (#37)
• DJ Jeffries 4* (#48)
• Damion Baugh 4* (#108)

That is just ridiculous. Gonna grab my popcorn and pull up a seat to watch it all! Minutes are not unlimited- it’s going to take a great coaching job to win and keep (almost) everyone happy.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I wonder if Lamar could bring in talent like that.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
STC wrote: 5 years ago Memphis recruiting class is absolutely insane. Wonder what a class like this costs?

• James Wiseman 5* (#1)
• Boogie Ellis 4* (#37)
• DJ Jeffries 4* (#48)
• Damion Baugh 4* (#108)

That is just ridiculous. Gonna grab my popcorn and pull up a seat to watch it all! Minutes are not unlimited- it’s going to take a great coaching job to win and keep (almost) everyone happy.
What about the 4 star recruits Penny brought in last year? He sells them on playing time and then brings in 8 new players over them.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hardaway now has the #1 Recruiting Class

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... -2019/amp/
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

• James Wiseman 5* (#1)
• Boogie Ellis 4* (#37)
• DJ Jeffries 4* (#48)
• Damion Baugh 4* (#108)

What about the 4 star recruits Penny brought in last year? He sells them on playing time and then brings in 8 new players over them.
I think other than Tyler Harris, the small and quick freshman guard, he feels these players are much better and just like any program including URI he will not hesitate to bring in the best players to win. If we had a top 20 player that was coming in we wouldn’t think twice about Long or Hammonds playing time. He hit the jackpot with players that can get him to the final four.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If I am Tyler Harris and Antwann Jones, I am transferring. Both 4 star recruits last year. Harris avg 10.8 ppg.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago If I am Tyler Harris and Antwann Jones, I am transferring. Both 4 star recruits last year. Harris avg 10.8 ppg.
Memphis has set it up similar to the big programs now with two or three going to the NBA and the other top 100 players staying and being paired up with the next set of top 50 players to come aboard. From what i’ve read Penny really likes Harris and he should be a good fit if he is willing to play 20 minutes a game
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago If I am Tyler Harris and Antwann Jones, I am transferring. Both 4 star recruits last year. Harris avg 10.8 ppg.
Memphis has set it up similar to the big programs now with two or three going to the NBA and the other top 100 players staying and being paired up with the next set of top 50 players to come aboard. From what i’ve read Penny really likes Harris and he should be a good fit if he is willing to play 20 minutes a game
This is unprecedented. No one has recruited 8 top players in one class. Penny just brought in 6’5” PG Grad Transfer to play PG in front of Harris (who is 5’9”). He recruited three Fr guards rated ahead of Harris. Where do you see Harris getting 20 minutes a game?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

• James Wiseman 5* (#1)
• Boogie Ellis 4* (#37)
• DJ Jeffries 4* (#48)
• Damion Baugh 4* (#108)

Another player yet to choose is Trendon Watford who is likely to select LSU but Memphis is still in the hunt. Hardaway knows Watford and his dad well from AAU ball. Unlikely even more with this recent addition, but Hardaway is killing it on he recruiting trail and stealing from the top P5 programs. Wiseman and Achiuwa will likely both be Top 10 Lottery Picks in 2020.

Agree, This is going to be fun to watch.
Very good news for Memphis and the AAC

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/ ... 694101002/

And this from Gary Parrish....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... red-to-do/
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Last year, Penny red-shirted his son and Ryan Boyce, who walked-on after decommitting from UAB.

Alex Lomas and Tyler Harris are both guards and are the Memphis kids he got to buy in early and sign last year.

Antwann Jones, who gave them some solid production as a freshmen, saw how this was playing out and transferred to Creighton.

Their two leading scorers last year (Martin and Davenport) were seniors and have graduated. I’ll take talent over experience any day, but I don’t think you can completely overlook the benefit of having guys who have been through it.

Wiseman and Achiuwa are likely lottery picks in 2020.

It’s all just a lot of moving pieces.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Maybe Penny’s son will transfer to Rhody (sarcasm). We could sign Ziare Wade next year and have all son NBA team.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
This is unprecedented. No one has recruited 8 top players in one class. Penny just brought in 6’5” PG Grad Transfer to play PG in front of Harris (who is 5’9”). He recruited three Fr guards rated ahead of Harris. Where do you see Harris getting 20 minutes a game?
I don’t think Penny is viewed as a good bench coach so it will be interesting to see how he moves all the bodies in and out. Harris is only 5’ 9” so he would probably fit for this team as more of a Fatts type player last year. I would guess 25 minutes for transfer and 15 for Harris. They might play them together for 5-10 minutes a game depending upon the situation. Nice to have those problems. I’m sure it does make Harris think a little bit though.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Adding Toppin sets up a possible red shirt for one of the four freshman. My intuition tells me it would be Madding but he joined the team second semester of last year. Did he red shirt last semester? If so, how would that work going forward?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Adding Toppin sets up a possible red shirt for one of the four freshman. My intuition tells me it would be Madding but he joined the team second semester of last year. Did he red shirt last semester? If so, how would that work going forward?

Maybe Long?

Not sure how much he'd play.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Roll out the ball and let these kids compete against each other

I am sure the staff knows what it is doing
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If all goes well with no major injuries, I don’t see the freshman playin that much at all.
Go Rhody