Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago So apparently the people that run our concessions have decided to bring the McDLT back

15-20 minutes before the game starts I hit the concessions stands figuring what the hell I'll grab a couple of hot dogs. They're all out of hot dogs that are ready and it will be 5-10 minutes before anymore are ready. Lets just not even mention how galactically stupid it is that on a night where the building is only half full you don't have anymore of your feature concession item ready. I say that's fine, I'll grab a cheeseburger instead. What I got back was $8 and barely a step above McDonald's and not as good as a Wendy's hamburger. On top of that nevermind that the cheese wasn't melted it was ice cold. How hard is it to melt cheese on a cheeseburger?

I get that high prices in arena's are a thing, but if you're going to charge people through the nose for food maybe it can be more than a step above edible? What is it exactly that the "disrupters" at Oak View Group bring to the table in terms of managing the arena? Are concessions managed by Sodexo, who acquired Centerplate? We need a LOT better if you expect people to spend money on this product
I didn't think they sold anything but beer. I mean, I see "food" there, but thought it was just a prop. People buy that stuff?
Can confirm. I got out of the office late and didn't have time to eat offsite. Not good times, bad times
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

My daughter came to the game with me for the first time last night. I asked her to check the score of the women's game for me on her phone. She said she couldn't get on the internet. I said, 'oh yeah'.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 months ago My daughter came to the game with me for the first time last night. I asked her to check the score of the women's game for me on her phone. She said she couldn't get on the internet. I said, 'oh yeah'.
Funny you say that, our daughter has come with me to the last three home games, Section 205, and she has been able to get service no problem. I have an older Android phone and she has a newer iPhone. But we are on the same service/plan (Verizon). She not only gets Verizon service in the arena, she also has been able to get on the wifi from time to time. We get there right before the tip so it's not like she's in early. IDK...
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Pretty sure the students in the booth complained about loosing Wi-Fi for their computers and equipment during the game. Not good.
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 6 months ago Pretty sure the students in the booth complained about loosing Wi-Fi for their computers and equipment during the game. Not good.
Yeah, I would think that's a game breaker the students. That's probably the best reason I can think of to get the Wi-Fi fixed. If we're losing student attendance because of it, That's a big problem.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 6 months ago Pretty sure the students in the booth complained about loosing Wi-Fi for their computers and equipment during the game. Not good.
Yeah, I would think that's a game breaker the students. That's probably the best reason I can think of to get the Wi-Fi fixed. If we're losing student attendance because of it, That's a big problem.
Agree that’s a big time joke , can’t lose attendance cuz of it
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 6 months ago
Who are these "students in the booth"? I originally read it as our broadcast team. Not sure how that could impact attendance?
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

It’s attendance in general at this point. My friends who have young kids don’t want to go into a black hole for hours
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago
reef wrote: 6 months ago

Who are these "students in the booth"? I originally read it as our broadcast team. Not sure how that could impact attendance?
Depends. Are those two included in the 3,795 announced attendance? Or would we be at 3,793 without them? It adds up
;)
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Do you think that Thorr realizes that the bad Wi-Fi is affecting attendance? Wouldn't that be enough incentive for him to see that it gets fixed?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 months ago Do you think that Thorr realizes that the bad Wi-Fi is affecting attendance? Wouldn't that be enough incentive for him to see that it gets fixed?
It absolutely affects attendance and in a big way and he should be aware of it.

Maybe not for someone like me a big basketball fan but for my wife, who could care less.
She would prefer to stay home or back at the hotel because she can't play on her phone at the RC.
Not just in my case but many of my friends and other fans who say the same thing about their spouse and kids.
That is leaving many tickets on the table that would normally be sold.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 months ago Do you think that Thorr realizes that the bad Wi-Fi is affecting attendance? Wouldn't that be enough incentive for him to see that it gets fixed?

shall i email him !??!?!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 6 months ago

shall i email him !??!?!
Yes. Stress to him that many fans, and especially students, aren't going to games because of bad wifi. Kids are addicted to their phones and they need access to the internet. It's like a drug addict that can't get drugs or an alcoholic who can't get a drink (Maybe I'm exaggerating that part, but you get my drift).
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago

Maybe not for someone like me a big basketball fan but for my wife, who could care less.
She would prefer to stay home or back at the hotel because she can't play on her phone at the RC.
Not just in my case but many of my friends and other fans who say the same thing about their spouse and kids.
So, the cost of fixing it would be covered by ticket sales and concession sales, and then some.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

So, the cost of fixing it would be covered by ticket sales and concession sales, and then some.
Plus making it a more enjoyable experience for everyone.
I won't have to listen to my wife bitching to me throughout the game about dragging her out here and she has nothing to do.
Like I said better off leaving her behind, we both would be happier.

With Wi-Fi, I can also check out other scores.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

functioning and capable wi-fi in a building like the RC should not be a perk or something that the university or management company should be pinching pennies on. it should be a standard, bare minimum feature. even more so when your cell carrier of choice does not work there for whatever reason.

not having it available to the consumer is poor customer service and flat out lazy.
:lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

This is getting funnier all the time. I don't think the RyFi issue keeps many away. Plus, there's a payphone in the lobby if there's an emergency where anyone needs to reach the outside world.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago This is getting funnier all the time. I don't think the RyFi issue keeps many away. Plus, there's a payphone in the lobby if there's an emergency where anyone needs to reach the outside world.
Is 1-800-COLLECT still a thing?

RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago This is getting funnier all the time. I don't think the RyFi issue keeps many away. Plus, there's a payphone in the lobby if there's an emergency where anyone needs to reach the outside world.
A what now?
Mobley was fouled.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I kind of doubt that the wifi is having a huge effect on the gate for games, but it still seems stupid that it is a problem that has dragged on for multiple seasons. URI probably got "unlucky" when it came to that and the Ryan Center construction (2000 to 2002), because IIRC that's right before widespread adoption of wifi. (My freshman year was 2002, and I used an ethernet cord.) The Sports Business Journal did an article in 2017 noting that putting wifi into old football stadiums can cost as much as $5 million. I doubt its that much for the Ryan Center, but maybe its more of a seven-figure improvement than something you can do on the cheap.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I wouldn't need wifi if my phone actually had cell service in the Ryan Center.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 6 months ago
A what now?
It's called a pay phone. The Ry upgraded to the payphone after environmental and safety concerns were raised surrounding the previous wire/tin can connection to the utility pole outside.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning in toward RyFi being a contributing factor in lagging attendance. There's a lot working against us, think about it:

1) location. URI isn't near any major population centers. Those of us that live "close" live 20 mins away. You can't stop down the street for dinner. If you're coming from the south you can stop in Wakefield. If you're coming from the north you've got like 4 bars/restaurants that are still between 20 mins (richard's pub, greggs) and 10 mins away. Or you've got whatever exists out in Richmond on 138. There has to be another pull to get you to go to the Ryan center.

2) good team. We historically haven't. This team needs to get a big OOC win to drive attendance, that usually means PC a P5. That's another exceedingly rare event for us. But when we've been good - i.e. getting those wins, competitive and being a bubble team, people show up.

3) good opponents. Another historical miss for the Ryan Center. To be fair the few times we get a P6 there, the attendance is good. PC obviously. We haven't had a P6 not named PC here since Seton Hall in Dec 2020, which of course had no attendance. If you go back to 2019, we hosted Alabama and had over 7000 in the building - that was coming off of the first Cox year which was disappointing, but people will still show up if there's a big name team in the building.

Those top 3 are probably true in most basketball programs around the country.

Point being though, you need 2/3 to fill the arena. If you can only get 1/3, then you'll need to put out a great experience outside of that to get people to come and want to come back.

We are probably only going to be able to get 1/3 regularly, being a good team. The opponents are harder to control (A10 sucks, and you need to be reliably good for a couple years to get P6's to come to your campus). And the location isn't convenient.

So that means the experience matters. If people know that they're going to the Ryan Center, it's going to take them 15-20 mins to get into the building through security, and then once inside they are disconnected from the world for 2 hours, they can't see a replay of any great play, it will take them 10-15 mins to get a beer that they're overpaying for, the food sucks, etc...they're not going unless Rhody is near-undefeated, or someone legit is coming to play.

With everything working against us...the WiFi is too critical. People check email. People gamble. People want to look at stats. People want to see highlights. People want to check on their kids. In 2023, it's a reality. The Ryan Center was built with payphones. They knew even before the iPhone that people needed to be connected to the outside world. So why we haven't caught up with the times is a travesty.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago So apparently the people that run our concessions have decided to bring the McDLT back

15-20 minutes before the game starts I hit the concessions stands figuring what the hell I'll grab a couple of hot dogs. They're all out of hot dogs that are ready and it will be 5-10 minutes before anymore are ready. Lets just not even mention how galactically stupid it is that on a night where the building is only half full you don't have anymore of your feature concession item ready. I say that's fine, I'll grab a cheeseburger instead. What I got back was $8 and barely a step above McDonald's and not as good as a Wendy's hamburger. On top of that nevermind that the cheese wasn't melted it was ice cold. How hard is it to melt cheese on a cheeseburger?

I get that high prices in arena's are a thing, but if you're going to charge people through the nose for food maybe it can be more than a step above edible? What is it exactly that the "disrupters" at Oak View Group bring to the table in terms of managing the arena? Are concessions managed by Sodexo, who acquired Centerplate? We need a LOT better if you expect people to spend money on this product

McDLT. The hot stays hot, and the cold stays cold.

RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 6 months ago not having it available to the consumer is poor customer service and flat out lazy.
I'm able to get functional wi-fi on an airplane going 400mph 35,000 ft off the ground....I should be able to load the CBS Sports app on my phone in an arena.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Is it crazy to think the URI President, Thorr, Lil ORouke, Garret Waller etc. etc have a super secret Wi-Fi and highly guarded password that we have no access to? If they suffer the same connectivity s stuff we do, they would change it, No?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If both students AND adults are complaining about WIFi, then it is a huge problem. Fans like us are going to go to games because most of us are basketball nuts. The majority of students and the casual fans are not basketball nuts. They need to be able to have contact with the outside world and be entertained by other things in addition to watching the games. I'm now convinced that's the reason there were a lot less students 2 days ago on a Tuesday night than there were at the first 2 games, despite us getting off to a nice start.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 months agoI'm now convinced that's the reason there were a lot less students 2 days ago on a Tuesday night than there were at the first 2 games, despite us getting off to a nice start.
It certainly is not helping the situation.
Mobley was fouled.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

section(105) wrote: 6 months ago Is it crazy to think the URI President, Thorr, Lil ORouke, Garret Waller etc. etc have a super secret Wi-Fi and highly guarded password that we have no access to? If they suffer the same connectivity s stuff we do, they would change it, No?
not a chance in hell they, BB staff, RC staff, media, don't have a password or network they're working off of.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 6 months ago

functioning and capable wi-fi in a building like the RC should not be a perk or something that the university or management company should be pinching pennies on. it should be a standard, bare minimum feature. even more so when your cell carrier of choice does not work there for whatever reason.

not having it available to the consumer is poor customer service and flat out lazy.
I think Rhody should fix it just to keep the peace in Jersey’s marriage!

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 6 months ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 6 months ago

I think Rhody should fix it just to keep the peace in Jersey’s marriage!

Yes please, thank you. :D
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

section(105) wrote: 6 months ago Is it crazy to think the URI President, Thorr, Lil ORouke, Garret Waller etc. etc have a super secret Wi-Fi and highly guarded password that we have no access to? If they suffer the same connectivity s stuff we do, they would change it, No?
Well yeah students and faculty have access to URI_Secure which works much better than all the other ones available.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

There are at least four different wifi networks going at the Ryan Center. URI open which is trash, URI secure which is fine but you need to be a student, staff, or faculty, Ryan Center media, and Ryan Center guest. Everything other than open seems to be password protected in one way or another for a subgroup of people
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 6 months ago

shall i email him !??!?!
ECR,

Yes. Just as you did for the Shower Curtain. Can't hurt.

Tuesday night I watched URI WBB From outside the RC from 6pm start time to 7pm on ESPN+ On my phone

Went in at 7pm and no Ry-Fi as expected. Every now and then got lucky and was able to get the score.

As theblueram says, it's having no cell service in the RC is a problem too. No Ry-Fi and no Cell Service. I'd be fine with Cell Service but can't even get then.

3 Questions for the Ryan Center:
1. Fix Ry-Fi status plan and timetable?
2. Fix Cell Service status plan and timetable?
3. Replays on scoreboard plan and timetable?

Football has Cell Service and Replays. MBB and WBB do not have consistent Cell Service or Replays.

Maybe you could volunteer to take on the Athletic Department Customer Service Role since there appears to be a vacancy :lol: :lol:

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago I wouldn't need wifi if my phone actually had cell service in the Ryan Center.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, if the students have a different one, then that's not the problem for them.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I've used that student one before and want impressed.
Maybe it's better now but I doubt it

Just let me have cell phone service and I'm happy but it's terrible.
My cell phone has great reception with T-Mobile everywhere but not in the Ryan Center.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 6 months ago I've used that student one before and want impressed.

My cell phone has great reception with T-Mobile everywhere but not in the Ryan Center.
Even a cellular repeater would be fine - ANYTHING. You can't be this disconnected in 2023. I'm sitting on a train posting this and responding to emails. I'm in an aluminum can going 80 mph through the woods, and I can connect to the internet or get a phone call.

The other problem with the RyFi is that the amount of password protected permissions is absurd and the reliability is worse. Go to any other arena (that's on the level of the Ryan Center) in the country, it doesn't take this kind of effort to connect.

But it's a huge black eye and one of the many things going against us in terms of driving attendance.

Won't have that problem this weekend though!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

I think my complaint is more like a Post-Game Experiences, but I thought I would put it out there anyway. Why can't they do a better job on the post game interviews. Like how about a mike for the questions and a better feed for the whole thing. And while I'm at it, why can't we also be on the radio. I realize the department must be hurting to cover coach's contract, but not being on regular radio seems like a lousy place to cut corners?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RJRam wrote: 6 months ago I think my complaint is more like a Post-Game Experiences, but I thought I would put it out there anyway. Why can't they do a better job on the post game interviews. Like how about a mike for the questions and a better feed for the whole thing. And while I'm at it, why can't we also be on the radio. I realize the department must be hurting to cover coach's contract, but not being on regular radio seems like a lousy place to cut corners?
This way, when the player or coach answers, you get to not only hear the answer, but "guess" what the question was. Kinda like a game within a game, only after the game.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RJRam wrote: 6 months ago I think my complaint is more like a Post-Game Experiences, but I thought I would put it out there anyway. Why can't they do a better job on the post game interviews. Like how about a mike for the questions and a better feed for the whole thing. And while I'm at it, why can't we also be on the radio. I realize the department must be hurting to cover coach's contract, but not being on regular radio seems like a lousy place to cut corners?
And why cut off Archie's interview?
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Blue Man wrote: 6 months ago
ramster wrote: 6 months ago I've used that student one before and want impressed.

Even a cellular repeater would be fine - ANYTHING. You can't be this disconnected in 2023. I'm sitting on a train posting this and responding to emails. I'm in an aluminum can going 80 mph through the woods, and I can connect to the internet or get a phone call.

The other problem with the RyFi is that the amount of password protected permissions is absurd and the reliability is worse. Go to any other arena (that's on the level of the Ryan Center) in the country, it doesn't take this kind of effort to connect.

But it's a huge black eye and one of the many things going against us in terms of driving attendance.

Won't have that problem this weekend though!
It truly is mystifying….

(And completely unacceptable)
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

My million dollar idea has been for awhile to create an app whereby the user speaks into his or her phone when asking a question and it amplifies it. Or they bluetooth into a portable speaker that every media room keeps on hand. Such a pet peeve of mine when you can't hear the question, and it happens everywhere!
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I've tried to text Giants Fan during games. It would be easier if I wrote it on paper and walked over to his seat and handed it to him. :lol:
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago I've tried to text Giants Fan during games. It would be easier if I wrote it on paper and walked over to his seat and handed it to him. :lol:
Lol!

Blueram, you all should bring a runner with you when you go to the Ryan Ctr so you all can pass messages back and forth to each other. You can call him or her the KB Runner Express.

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago I've tried to text Giants Fan during games. It would be easier if I wrote it on paper and walked over to his seat and handed it to him. :lol:
Have you tried paper airplanes?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Now you have me on another direction. How come we don't have the parachute drop anymore?????
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago
Now you have me on another direction. How come we don't have the parachute drop anymore?????
I’ll bet, someone determined it to be dangerous? Or climate change or supply chain……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

The water at Madison Square Garden is $5.50.

I’m posting this from my phone inside their arena.

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 6 months ago The water at Madison Square Garden is $5.50.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 6 months ago The water at Madison Square Garden is $5.50.

Stop...inside the arena? from an old relic like that place? No way