Our New Floor

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Re: Our New Floor

Unread post by Surfri72 »

new court looks real good. question is why no one seems to know our school colors? they are Keaney blue dark blue and white. I think we should bring back the dark uniforms from the Harrick years as well.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I was pointing out their focus on us, which they deny having.
Followers of both programs will always focus on the other.
It's just the way it is.

Rod,

Didn't you hear? Creighton is Providence College's big rival now. The new Catholic Big East schedule ends with its teams playing their big rival. For Providence, it is the Omaha, Nebraska based Creighton Blue-Jays.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Alright, let's keep this thread on topic.

I'm looking forward to an official photo of the new floor in the Ryan Center from the perspective of the TV camera angle (section 212).
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Per the Alex and Ani company web site, both the founder, Carolyn Rafaelian, and the CEO, Giovanni Feroce, attended URI.

http://www.alexandani.com/the-company/

Alex & Ani: A Vital Force in Rhode Island
http://www.uri.edu/quadangles/features/ ... de-island/
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ooooh... lookin' gooood!
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

The floor looks great! I actually like the RI but it is too bad we couldn't get a light Ram head in the background somewhere...
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

they should have hired the ppl on this msg board.. you guys would have pulled an all night and would have been playing hoops on it already..
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Surfri72 wrote:new court looks real good. question is why no one seems to know our school colors? they are Keaney blue dark blue and white. I think we should bring back the dark uniforms from the Harrick years as well.
Those were pretty sick!!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

rodfromcranston wrote:School color IS navy blue. Keaney blue is just a sports color that came along in the '30's.
Because our home uniforms have always had all that navy in them. Anyone to tries to say that the school's primary color is navy blue is nuts.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Surf, I'm confused. The floor heavily uses the school colors, especially the dark blue. There are hints of Keaney Blue outside the logo, such as the outline of the large block letters on each baseline. Looks really nice.
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

people were questioning the colors earlier in the thread, we did have yellow in the uniforms for a while in the 90's. never really understood why.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Will the parachute drop now hold Alex and Ani bracelets instead of T-shirts?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Did they drop random narcotics and other controlled drugs from them when CVS had their logo on the court?
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Looks like it's almost done. I think it's great...not too much going on. I really like the dark blue.

https://twitter.com/coachjcarr/status/3 ... 2752425984
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Wow...what a difference from the old floor! I love it -has a simple, classy look to it. The interlocking RI at center court is MUCH better than a giant ram's head in my opinion. Gives us more of an identity for TV viewers who may not know anything about our university. Although having the ram logo somewhere on the court would have been a nice touch (maybe in the free throw key in front of the baseline?). But now I'm just nit-picking. Court looks awesome!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ATPTourFan wrote:Did they drop random narcotics and other controlled drugs from them when CVS had their logo on the court?

They should have been! We all needed drugs to watch Baron Ball!
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Justns11 wrote:Looks like it's almost done. I think it's great...not too much going on. I really like the dark blue.

https://twitter.com/coachjcarr/status/3 ... 2752425984
For comparison sake:

RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

ATPTourFan wrote:Surf, I'm confused. The floor heavily uses the school colors, especially the dark blue. There are hints of Keaney Blue outside the logo, such as the outline of the large block letters on each baseline. Looks really nice.
Our old court was royal blue which was/is not a school color - who signed off on that? (it finds it's way into some other sports unis too -soccer if I remember correctly)
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Agreed on the color of the old floor... none of the above were correct when it came to blues.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Alex and Ani ‏@alexandani5h
The new Patriots Place Alex and Ani location opens today at 10:59am ! Come visit and score your very own Patriots Bangle (Just released!)

They paid a million for the naming rights of a new building at RIC. Wow! Alex and Ani, the new Alan Shawn Feinstein
of Rhode Island.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Our old friends, the Musketeers, had to refresh their floor with new Big East logo and a renewed surface. Cool radio controlled helicopter footage! Can we get that for our new floor too?

SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan wrote:Did they drop random narcotics and other controlled drugs from them when CVS had their logo on the court?
+1
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

There were nights when some opioids would have been welcome.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

My only, and I do mean only, problem with everything we've done is the name of this court. I get that money is tight and we're looking to maximize revenue - but it looks like this court is going to be referred to as the "alex and ani court," every time it's brought up.

It wasn't called the CVS court when CVS was the namesake sponsor. Courts that are named are usually named for someone who was influential in the program, not a sponsor, i.e.: John Wooden Court, Dave Gavitt Court, etc.

Would it have been so terrible to dedicate the court to Ernie Calverley? Our only retired number? And maybe have a "shot heard round the world" plaque or something like that near it?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Good point, Blue Man. It was never called CVS court.
There is nothing at URI dedicated to the greatest player in URI history, Ernie Calverley.
Two time national scoring champion, All American, and leading scorer in college basketball history
at the end of his career. Lead URI to its first two NCAA Tournaments at head coach.
Plus, he was from Pawtucket. A local guy.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:There is nothing at URI dedicated to the greatest player in URI history, Ernie Calverley.
Besides having the only men's basketball number retired and hanging above the court.

Just teasing, Rod. I'd like something more substantial to honor Ernie like a plaque or who knows what.

Not sure how many times we will hear or read "Alex and Ani Court" over the airwaves or in future press releases, to be honest. It's not like the name of the building, which we have rightly decided to use to honor the alum who made the single most substantial contribution to build it. If the RI Taxpayers took the entire bill like at the Dunk, we could sell the naming rights of the building and dedicate the floor to Frank Keaney or whoever is worthy.

The athletic dept cannot give up the opportunity to capitalize on this important revenue opportunity at this time.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I view the name of the building as less important, and it should certainly recognize Tom Ryan, just like T. Boone-Pickens name is on the buildings that he built in Oklahoma.

But the court itself is sacred, and should be named for someone who did something on it, not off of it. I think we'd be the first to publicize that a court was named for a sponsor and not a player.

Maybe in the future you change one of "The Ryan Center" texts on the court to "Ernie Calverley Court," while keeping the Alex and Ani writing as the predominant sponsor on the floor.

It just wreaks of "TF Green Travel" or "Dunkin Donuts Dunk" to me.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Justns11
Lamar Odom

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I wanna play some pickup when they get them set up!! Who's in?!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I agree with blueman, I feel like uri went after marketing the floor more then acknowledgeing the schools history. I still can't get past the fact that not only isnt our floor named after a great coach or player, but rather a womens jewerly company. Not a fan
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I would be more upset about that, mob, if the Alex and Ani Court was emblazoned at each end of court in large letters. Right now it is in tasteful small letters and the word court is absent. Looks better than the CVS and is more a advertising gimmick than a court name.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

not to mention the money they've donated to have their name on the court and be a big sponsor
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Obadiah wrote:I would be more upset about that, mob, if the Alex and Ani Court was emblazoned at each end of court in large letters. Right now it is in tasteful small letters and the word court is absent. Looks better than the CVS and is more a advertising gimmick than a court name.

I agree but calling it the Alex and Ani Court at the Ryan Center prompts a giant eye roll. I am more upset about the lack of Keaney Blue as you can probably tell since I keep harping on it.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't care about what they name the court. They satiated me for a while with this kind of stuff when we finally hung up good banners a couple years back. If whatever Alex and Ani paid to put their name on the court made it possible for us to get the court in the first place, I'm totally fine with that.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Agreed, TP.
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Anyone complaining about the new court is just a whiny internet poster. They would be complaining if there wasn't a new court either. I think the damn thing looks pretty good. If this team was ranked Top 25 I wouldn't care if they played on a dirt court. Bring on some fucking hoops so I don't have to read about everyone's opinion about the shade of blue on the court!!!

I know I don't have to look at threads that I don't find interesting, truth is I'm bored as hell at work, it's Friday, and I'm slightly hungover.
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Here here, Gonzo!
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

ATPTourFan wrote:I wanna play some pickup when they get them set up!! Who's in?!
I'm in! Wouldn't mind throwing down a dunk or two..
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

The bottom line is, uh, the bottom line. The two most generous donors have their names on the court. I believe it says:"Ryan Center" and "Alex and Ani Energy"….Without generous donations, there is no Ryan Center, there is no new floor.
It's done tastefully, in a minimalist manner, relatively-speaking in the 21st Century!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If and when there is a coach with a legacy of Frank Keaney during the neo-modern era of Rhody Hoops, then I'm sure it will be figured-out.
To be honest with you, I'm not into "Coach K Court" at …. or anything else like it….
Legacy, in the truest sense, is when you've retired.
Anyway………..

P.S. URIGONZO: Happy to read that some URI traditions, i.e., Thursday night partying, are still alive and well!!!!!!
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Talking about plaques and such, has anyone been to the Palestra in Philly? they have the hall lined with old framed photos of of many of the famous players in game action shots. suggest that photos of the great players of the past be put up on the walls. You could even have an area for great opposing players photos too. I have always enjoyed looking at the photos at the Palestra and Ryan Center photos from the past would be a treat to see before each game. You could add some each year so people could look forward to seeing new ones.
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

luke wrote:Talking about plaques and such, has anyone been to the Palestra in Philly? they have the hall lined with old framed photos of of many of the famous players in game action shots. suggest that photos of the great players of the past be put up on the walls. You could even have an area for great opposing players photos too. I have always enjoyed looking at the photos at the Palestra and Ryan Center photos from the past would be a treat to see before each game. You could add some each year so people could look forward to seeing new ones.
That's actually a really good idea if it's workable. Between the railings, the HOF, and the consession stands/bathrooms I'm not sure the concourse level really lends itself to many more pictures like that.

On the floor level, you run into the problem of non-athletic events being held there. I know you don't have to worry about a picture of Tommy Garrick hitting a shot getting wrecked at cheerleading event, but last year, they had a show where I think the entire idea was to listen to house/techno music and spray paint all over each other.

I really do like the idea of some historic URI basketball pictures around the arena.
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I think there's some wall space in the south concourse level between the railing overlooking the south lobby and the main scoreboard wall.
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

I think there is, but there isn't a lot of foot traffic over there I would think...though I would hope something like that would drive the people there when there isn't a reception on that concourse.
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

At the front entrance of keaney, theres a few historical basketball jerseys and trophies. Other historical objects are at the basketball hof. (in was awsome to see rhody represented) but I think the stuff in keaney it would he better observed in the Ryan center. Cool stuff too.
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

The CVS logos on the old floor were part of the original matching gift program between CVS and Tom Ryan during the construction of the building. When the new floor was being designed, the decision was made to make floor signage an official part of the URI Partner program as a key marketing asset and new revenue stream. The timing is great now that the new A10 TV contract goes into effect this season. More national, regional, and local TV viewers will see this beautiful new floor and Alex and Ani's logo tastefully included in the design (smaller than CVS logo, same navy blue color used elsewhere including the "Ryan Center" on-floor logo).

While CVS is no longer featured on the court, they are still a major partner of URI Athletics and will be quite visible within the in-game experience. The University and URI Athletics are still very important to CVS even now that Tom Ryan is no longer CEO. Alex and Ani and CVS/Caremark, two giants in the RI economy and their respective industries, both strongly considered having their brand on our new court. I think that's pretty impressive.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

BU's new floor:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... new-floor/

I like ours better ....
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Not much thought went into that, eh? So happy with our new Alex and Ani Court! (I know that drives some of you nuts, so there!!)