2023-24 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: 2023-24 Rotation

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 9 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 10 months ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 10 months ago

Wait a second, you're asking for actual data and facts to back up something a person posted on this board??? Cmon, that's not fair. People should be allowed to post broad, sweeping statements and if called out on it, just tell you "I don't need no stinkin' data. I've got my anecdotes."
Yes, come on, everyone...This isn't a place where people come to unwind and relax to talk Rhody hoops. You obviously should be expecting detailed PowerPoint presentations in every post, complete with intricate data breakdowns and KPIs. Oh and make sure none of you have any incorrect grammar because you'll be called out on that!
You're showing your brilliance. Can you show me where I said any of that?

I'll translate for you...if you have an opinion, great. Go ahead share it and share what facts your opinion is based on. That's called an educated debate. Simple enough? (As opposed to your method of say and throw anything at the wall and you don't care if nothing sticks.)
Me no understand.... Please reply and dumb it down.

Reminder, the PowerPoint on why David Fuchs is our best freshman is due by Monday at 10 est, and we will be presenting them at our team meeting on Wednesday. Facts only, or don't bother coming! Thanks, everyone!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 10 months ago

Wait a second, you're asking for actual data and facts to back up something a person posted on this board??? Cmon, that's not fair. People should be allowed to post broad, sweeping statements and if called out on it, just tell you "I don't need no stinkin' data. I've got my anecdotes."
Yes, come on, everyone...This isn't a place where people come to unwind and relax to talk Rhody hoops. You obviously should be expecting detailed PowerPoint presentations in every post, complete with intricate data breakdowns and KPIs. Oh and make sure none of you have any incorrect grammar because you'll be called out on that!

I'll translate for you...if you have an opinion, great. Go ahead share it and share what facts your opinion is based on. That's called an educated debate. Simple enough? (As opposed to your method of say and throw anything at the wall and you don't care if nothing sticks.)
All you need for an opinion is perception...facts are optional.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago
jcru wrote: 10 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago

I'm not optimistic Green will get the waiver after this:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... er-request

Supposedly transferred to be closer to his mother who has a medical condition. Obviously we don't know everything here, but it looks like the NCAA is going to be tough with these second transfers
The NCAA isn't the sharpest, they may have denied him simply because the school he moved to was in the same state.
More backstory on the two big NCAA transfer waiver denials:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... new-policy

I think we need to assume at this point that Green will not be playing for us this year
The decision on Walker in particular seems especially cruel, since he didn't even play a game for the school he initially committed to, because the season was cancelled because of the pandemic.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Dubsky in Maui? Just saw this on NBC nightly news, story about people stranded in Maui airport after the fires.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Go Rhody
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Rhody15 wrote: 9 months ago Dubsky in Maui? Just saw this on NBC nightly news, story about people stranded in Maui airport after the fires.
That has to be him. He literally posted on his Instagram story that he’s in Hawaii.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

That’s Dubsky for sure. They interviewed him:

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/vi ... 0590021635
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow Dubs , glad he’s making it out of there , what a tragedy
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

steveystuds06 wrote: 9 months ago

Reminder, the PowerPoint on why David Fuchs is our best freshman is due by Monday at 10 est, and we will be presenting them at our team meeting on Wednesday. Facts only, or don't bother coming! Thanks, everyone!
OK Stevey...take it a step further, you think David Fuchs will be URI's best freshman. That's a great opinion to have and you're free to share it. Now let us know:
Have you seen all the incoming freshmen play? In person or on video? How many times have you seen each? What level of player was Fuchs playing against? When you say "best freshman," do you mean he'll have the most PPG his freshman year? Or by the time his career at URI is done, he'll prove to be the best of bunch? How do you define "best?" (Who was the best college center of the 80's...Sampson, Ewing or Olajuwon? You see what I mean?)

I would love to hear more about David Fuchs. Right now, I know as much about him as probably a lot of people.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

OK Stevey...take it a step further, you think David Fuchs will be URI's best freshman. That's a great opinion to have and you're free to share it. Now let us know:
Have you seen all the incoming freshmen play? In person or on video? How many times have you seen each? What level of player was Fuchs playing against? When you say "best freshman," do you mean he'll have the most PPG his freshman year? Or by the time his career at URI is done, he'll prove to be the best of bunch? How do you define "best?" (Who was the best college center of the 80's...Sampson, Ewing or Olajuwon? You see what I mean?)

I would love to hear more about David Fuchs. Right now, I know as much about him as probably a lot of people.
Actually, PMM, Stevey most likely has seen all of our freshman play multiple times. He posts many vids of them on here, Twitter, etc.

If you go back through the recruiting threads on here or other media, there’s a lot to watch that he has posted on our recruits and prospects.

Others do a very good job of posting prospect vids here, as well. One of the many great things about this place for Rhody bb fans.

Carry on.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 9 months ago

Actually, PMM, Stevey most likely has seen all of our freshman play multiple times. He posts many vids of them on here, Twitter, etc.

If you go back through the recruiting threads on here or other media, there’s a lot to watch that he has posted on our recruits and prospects.

Others do a very good job of posting prospect vids here, as well. One of the many great things about this place for Rhody bb fans.

Carry on.
Yeah, Stevey probably follows the recruits closer than anyone on this board.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 9 months ago

Carry on.
That's not good enough...we need precision, measurements, facts. What do we think this is...some message board where people can just post stuff for fun? (It's not, is it?)
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 9 months ago

Carry on.
That's not good enough...we need precision, measurements, facts. What do we think this is...some message board where people can just post stuff for fun? (It's not, is it?)
It’s not like you go to jail for posting an opinion on the internet without providing any support, but if someone disagrees with your opinion or challenges it by asking for support maybe we don’t need to be so fragile about it.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Hopefully not false hope, but I’m way more excited now than I was this time last season.

Is Arch doing the open practice again?
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 9 months ago Hopefully not false hope, but I’m way more excited now than I was this time last season.

Well we will have a much better team so you should have more excitement!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

LFG
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote: 9 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 9 months ago Hopefully not false hope, but I’m way more excited now than I was this time last season.

Well we will have a much better team so you should have more excitement!
PRT, I agree. I think we upgraded in the front court and, although losing Ish hurt, I think we will be better overall in the back court.

I think the roster improvements will lead to lower turnovers, improved defense (particularly in the interior), improved rebounding and more balanced scoring between the back court and front court.

However, ultimately I think this teams ceiling will depend on how much basketball IQ Archie and staff can squeeze out of the players and injuries.

As of today, the A10 competition ( with probably close to 2/3’s of the teams falling outside the top 100 in NET) doesn’t give me much worry beyond 3-4 teams so I think finishing inside the top 10 (5 through 9) of the A10 is obtainable.

I understand these are just semi -informed projections on my part, but I am excited nonetheless.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Carry on.
I've seen the videos posted on this board. Is that what this opinion is based on? Just a highlight video? Ok, then state that.

And Stevey never misses on his opinions on recruits?
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I've seen the videos posted on this board. Is that what this opinion is based on? Just a highlight video? Ok, then state that.

PMM, I will take a crack at your questions. Posting for myself only re your questions above:

My opinions here are not solely based on vids posted here but also on other sources many members here have recommended. Although, I will admit that I don’t always take full advantage of those recommended resources.

I miss on recruit projections. I have in the past and will continue to do so. Also, I do not recall anyone else here claim that they do not miss on projections. If I am wrong on my claim re anyone else, then feel free to correct me as my memory isn’t what it used to be.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PMM, I will take a crack at your questions. Posting for myself only re your questions above:

My opinions here are not solely based on vids posted here but also on other sources many members here have recommended. Although, I will admit that I don’t always take full advantage of those recommended resources.

I miss on recruit projections. I have in the past and will continue to do so. Also, I do not recall anyone else here claim that they do not miss on projections. If I am wrong on my claim re anyone else, then feel free to correct me as my memory isn’t what it used to be.
Everyone misses on evaluating talent. Even those paid handsomely to do so (professional GMs). No shame in that. If you want a laugh go look at who 247 thinks are the highest rated Rhody recruits in the modern era. #1 Jermaine Harris. So Stevey keep doing what you do and put out your opinions that is what a message board is for. Even without a PPT presentation of facts to back it up most of us can appreciate the intel without fighting it or pushing back against it because in the end no one knows. And this site would be pretty lame if only fact based assertions were made/allowed.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 9 months ago

Everyone misses on evaluating talent. Even those paid handsomely to do so (professional GMs). No shame in that. If you want a laugh go look at who 247 thinks are the highest rated Rhody recruits in the modern era. #1 Jermaine Harris. So Stevey keep doing what you do and put out your opinions that is what a message board is for. Even without a PPT presentation of facts to back it up most of us can appreciate the intel without fighting it or pushing back against it because in the end no one knows. And this site would be pretty lame if only fact based assertions were made/allowed.
100% agree BAR and Stevey. Nobody knows for sure how these recruits will turn out including the top HC’’s . Keep on posting your opinions Stevey, always appreciate your input.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

100% agree BAR and Stevey. Nobody knows for sure how these recruits will turn out including the top HC’’s . Keep on posting your opinions Stevey, always appreciate your input.
You're right, in the end nobody knows for sure. But just as long as we're not stating opinion as fact.

I'm for anybody on any board posting educated opinions. For example, somebody posts "Big Ten basketball is overrated." Why do they think that? Based on what?

I think most (at least, I hope most) people get annoyed when people just say (and post) just random, unfounded nonsense. That's in part what separates adults from 5-year olds. Nobody is asking for a PowerPoint. If one's opinion is based on nothing other than a hunch or what you've heard, then say that. If it's based on watching one highlight video, then say that. One's credibility is based on what you've seen and done. (I trust my doctor when it comes to my health more than somebody who passed only AP Biology .) I think people go to message boards because that's where they think they'll find like-minded, knowledgeable fans with educated opinions. I've attended more AAU basketball games in the last 4 years than I ever would've imagined. But I don't consider myself an expert when it comes to scouting high school basketball.

My opinions and prognostications are wrong all the time. Ask my wife, she'll tell you. That's why I don't gamble. But I fess up...Dallas Comegys did not have the NBA career that I thought.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Haha, no, I've been wrong plenty of times, and I'll continue to be way off on certain recruits. That won't stop me from coming here and talking about these players, though. You act as if people are coming here claiming that we are experts and everything we say is a FACT! When all of us are just talking Rhody hoops and are having a friendly, sometimes heated discussion

Yup, just a highlight video... Do you know how long it takes me to watch these full games and pinpoint specific plays I need to put together in a video? Each game I watch takes a couple of hours because I'm pausing and writing down the exact minutes I may want to show a clip. I then have to go back, find each clip, edit it, and post it. It's not like I'm just posting a Twitter link. So yeah, while watching all these players during live games, I tend to understand their strengths and weaknesses better. For some reason, a few people here have a problem with it. I have no idea why.

I do this in my spare time because I love talking NBA and College basketball and, most importantly, talking URI. But I won't write a 5-page essay on my definition of what a good pump fake is or my definition of best... I also have many friends who love to talk Rhody hoops with me. So if I hear something about a player or the team, I usually trust their intel and post it here. No one knows what will happen, but it's fun to speculate. Or at least I thought it was.

And the funny thing is you act as if we don't post stats or data when we have it. We 100% do.

Ramster will post a full page of stats on specific topics.

Many people post stats and articles about our players and opponents—for example, Camrams, Peterram, Billyboy, Jcru, Steviep, etc.

Blueram always lets us know how many top 100 recruits we have.

Jersey keeps us updated on everything going on around the A10.

Dino would stalk players and coaches on social media to see if there were any info about recruits, haha.

Blueman, Iggy, Tp, and Bar give us great nuggets about this team and keep us updated on anything they see or hear. So do many others...

Obadiah spends plenty of their time creating and keeping us posted on our predictions.

JD, Lovethoserams, and Reef are some of the nicest people I've ever seen on a message board. So are many others.

Our mods do a great job keeping everything organized and efficient on here.

I'm missing many other people, but the list goes on and on.. Are we all just throwing anything at the wall and don't care if nothing sticks? Because I think that's total BS.

Since you claim we throw things out there, let's discuss some incoming players. I'm not doing another deep dive into each player, but I'll break down what I feel is the consensus from people here during our discussions these past few months.

House
Strengths: He is built like Terrell and can score the rock. 17.6 PPG . He had some interest from high majors like Vtech and Texas Teach. He is one of the very best in the country at getting to the line. I believe he was at 13 attempts a game which is crazy! Many claimed he's the Ish replacement as he's a downhill bully type of scorer, and I agree. A few highlights tapes and full games were posted where you can watch House.

Weaknesses: 3pt shot is weak, and although he can get to the line, he only shoots around 65%, which is worrisome. He only averaged a little over 2 assists a game. He can take and force bad shots at times.

Kortright
Strengths: He's an athlete. I posted a few clips of him playing WAYYY above the rim. We discussed how he killed us at the Ryan Center with 15 pts and 5 steals. We discussed that he led his team in assists last year. (4.1), and he's a low double-digit scorer...We discussed that he can play and defend the 1-3 position. We discussed that he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and is more of a leader, which is something we lacked with Bray Freeman. Scott Brand got an interview where they broke down his game tremendously. I highly suggest people check it out if they haven't.

Weaknesses: Another weak 3 pt shooter and FT shooter. It's uncommon to have two starting guards shoot free throws as poorly as Kortright and House. Some people were concerned that he came off the bench. However, he did play starter minutes. Some people were worried that he did not look like a true point guard and that we may not have a true point guard ready early in the year.

Zek

Strengths: This is the player that some were most excited about...One word to describe him is efficient.. People mainly liked Zek's IQ, size 6'6, and he shot 43% from 3. We also liked that he played on a deep, defensive-oriented team like Bradley. We discussed that his injury to his wrist stalled some of his progression earlier in the year, but as the year went on, he seemed to keep getting better and more comfortable. He ended up being their most improved player. He was arguably Bradley's best player against Wisconsin in the NIT when he scored 12 pts. We posted a few clips and complete games of Bradley as well.

Weaknesses: Most of the talk about Zek was positive. Some were trying to pump the brakes a little bit since he did only score 8 PPG. Some worry that he won't succeed in a more significant role compared to last year, where he was one of many options on a deep team. Similar to House, some were not very impressed that he came from a program like Bradley and worried about him making a jump into the A10.

Fuchs

Strengths: He's a beast on the offensive end. Great touch and a strong rebounder. He's played against great competition. I'm high on Fuchs because of the news I heard from people that have touched base with the coaching staff and Archie Millers' comments about him. Archie doesn't just throw out that a player will be one of the best freshmen bigs in the A10 lightly. Finding some of his full games was more challenging than our other recruits. I saw a couple and posted some tape. The few people I spoke to who have watched him at practice reiterated what I've already heard.

Weaknesses: He's slow on the defensive end, and the staff worries he can't defend the 4. They believe he may get in foul trouble quickly. Some here are worried that he'll have difficulty adjusting to the A10 as a freshman. He averaged 16 pts, 8 boards 2 assists in the lower-level German league but played limited minutes in the top league and put up low numbers.

I can keep going, but we broke down EVERY SINGLE PLAYER that joined this team. We discussed their previous stats and style of play. We discussed how they did in specific games, especially against better opponents. We posted articles; we posted interviews. I thought we had some fantastic debates.

I post these videos, so diehard fans like myself can watch more footage of these players. I also post it for the players because many seem to enjoy it. So do their family members. To everyone else that likes it, I genuinely appreciate it. To those who don't, you have every right not to. I find the condescending, rude remarks unnecessary, but whatever..

Well, it looks like I am writing a 5-page essay hahah... My rant is over.. Go Rhody!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Haha, no, I've been wrong plenty of times, and I'll continue to be way off on certain recruits. That won't stop me from coming here and talking about these players, though. You act as if people are coming here claiming that we are experts and everything we say is a FACT! When all of us are just talking Rhody hoops and are having a friendly, sometimes heated discussion

Yup, just a highlight video... Do you know how long it takes me to watch these full games and pinpoint specific plays I need to put together in a video? Each game I watch takes a couple of hours because I'm pausing and writing down the exact minutes I may want to show a clip. I then have to go back, find each clip, edit it, and post it. It's not like I'm just posting a Twitter link. So yeah, while watching all these players during live games, I tend to understand their strengths and weaknesses better. For some reason, a few people here have a problem with it. I have no idea why.

I do this in my spare time because I love talking NBA and College basketball and, most importantly, talking URI. But I won't write a 5-page essay on my definition of what a good pump fake is or my definition of best... I also have many friends who love to talk Rhody hoops with me. So if I hear something about a player or the team, I usually trust their intel and post it here. No one knows what will happen, but it's fun to speculate. Or at least I thought it was.

And the funny thing is you act as if we don't post stats or data when we have it. We 100% do.

Many people post stats and articles about our players and opponents—for example, Camrams, Peterram, Billyboy, Jcru, Steviep, etc.

Dino would stalk players and coaches on social media to see if there were any info about recruits, haha.

Blueman, Iggy, Tp, and Bar give us great nuggets about this team and keep us updated on anything they see or hear. So do many others...

Obadiah spends plenty of their time creating and keeping us posted on our predictions.

JD, Lovethoserams, and Reef are some of the nicest people I've ever seen on a message board. So are many others.

I'm missing many other people, but the list goes on and on.. Are we all just throwing anything at the wall and don't care if nothing sticks? Because I think that's total BS.

Since you claim we throw things out there, let's discuss some incoming players. I'm not doing another deep dive into each player, but I'll break down what I feel is the consensus from people here during our discussions these past few months.

House
Strengths: He is built like Terrell and can score the rock. 17.6 PPG . He had some interest from high majors like Vtech and Texas Teach. He is one of the very best in the country at getting to the line. I believe he was at 13 attempts a game which is crazy! Many claimed he's the Ish replacement as he's a downhill bully type of scorer, and I agree. A few highlights tapes and full games were posted where you can watch House.

Weaknesses: 3pt shot is weak, and although he can get to the line, he only shoots around 65%, which is worrisome. He only averaged a little over 2 assists a game. He can take and force bad shots at times.

Kortright
Strengths: He's an athlete. I posted a few clips of him playing WAYYY above the rim. We discussed how he killed us at the Ryan Center with 15 pts and 5 steals. We discussed that he led his team in assists last year. (4.1), and he's a low double-digit scorer...We discussed that he can play and defend the 1-3 position. We discussed that he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and is more of a leader, which is something we lacked with Bray Freeman. Scott Brand got an interview where they broke down his game tremendously. I highly suggest people check it out if they haven't.

Weaknesses: Another weak 3 pt shooter and FT shooter. It's uncommon to have two starting guards shoot free throws as poorly as Kortright and House. Some people were concerned that he came off the bench. However, he did play starter minutes. Some people were worried that he did not look like a true point guard and that we may not have a true point guard ready early in the year.

Zek

Strengths: This is the player that some were most excited about...One word to describe him is efficient.. People mainly liked Zek's IQ, size 6'6, and he shot 43% from 3. We also liked that he played on a deep, defensive-oriented team like Bradley. We discussed that his injury to his wrist stalled some of his progression earlier in the year, but as the year went on, he seemed to keep getting better and more comfortable. He ended up being their most improved player. He was arguably Bradley's best player against Wisconsin in the NIT when he scored 12 pts. We posted a few clips and complete games of Bradley as well.

Weaknesses: Most of the talk about Zek was positive. Some were trying to pump the brakes a little bit since he did only score 8 PPG. Some worry that he won't succeed in a more significant role compared to last year, where he was one of many options on a deep team. Similar to House, some were not very impressed that he came from a program like Bradley and worried about him making a jump into the A10.

Fuchs

Strengths: He's a beast on the offensive end. Great touch and a strong rebounder. He's played against great competition. I'm high on Fuchs because of the news I heard from people that have touched base with the coaching staff and Archie Millers' comments about him. Archie doesn't just throw out that a player will be one of the best freshmen bigs in the A10 lightly. Finding some of his full games was more challenging than our other recruits. I saw a couple and posted some tape. The few people I spoke to who have watched him at practice reiterated what I've already heard.

Weaknesses: He's slow on the defensive end, and the staff worries he can't defend the 4. They believe he may get in foul trouble quickly. Some here are worried that he'll have difficulty adjusting to the A10 as a freshman. He averaged 16 pts, 8 boards 2 assists in the lower-level German league but played limited minutes in the top league and put up low numbers.

I can keep going, but we broke down EVERY SINGLE PLAYER that joined this team. We discussed their previous stats and style of play. We discussed how they did in specific games, especially against better opponents. We posted articles; we posted interviews. I thought we had some fantastic debates.

I post these videos, so diehard fans like myself can watch more footage of these players. I also post it for the players because many seem to enjoy it. So do their family members. To everyone else that likes it, I genuinely appreciate it. To those who don't, you have every right not to. I find the condescending, rude remarks unnecessary, but whatever..

Well, it looks like I am writing a 5-page essay hahah... My rant is over.. Go Rhody!!
Well done Stevey !! Thanks for the kind words for all
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Nice work Stevie .Very nice summaries on the new guys . Can't wait to these players to see how on the mark your impressions are and that of others that have posted about the incoming guys . Truly hoping for a major jump up the food chain this season.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

House

Kortright

Zek

Fuchs

Thanks for the kind words Stevie, and more importantly for the thorough and thoughtful posts to this Board.

Anyone who dismisses your incredible value here is an ASS. I for one, look forward for your evaluations of our players. You know so much more about basketball than I could ever hope to. GoRHODY!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I just saw Rory on Rhody Rapidfire. .

He looks much leaner. To me at least it looks like he took off about 15 pounds from the 230 he’s listed at.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

KevanBoyles wrote: 9 months ago I just saw Rory on Rhody Rapidfire. .

He looks much leaner. To me at least it looks like he took off about 15 pounds from the 230 he’s listed at.
Yup. He looked leaner and quicker on the defensive end. Great sign.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KevanBoyles wrote: 9 months ago I just saw Rory on Rhody Rapidfire. .

Yup. He looked leaner and quicker on the defensive end. Great sign.
If Green doesn't get a waiver, which I feel is a longshot anyway, Rory should get some serious minutes in our rotation.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Hopefully his lower weight and increased foot speed translate into better D from him on the floor and gives him the ability to create enough spacing between him and his defender to consistently get clean looks at the hoop.

We need him to make a noticeable jump from his play last season.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 9 months ago Hopefully his lower weight and increased foot speed translates into better D from him on the floor and gives him the ability to create enough spacing between him and his defender to consistently get clean looks at the hoop.

I would expect his game to improve on both ends of the floor.
A year's experience can make a big difference.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 9 months ago Hopefully his lower weight and increased foot speed translates into better D from him on the floor and gives him the ability to create enough spacing between him and his defender to consistently get clean looks at the hoop.

I would expect his game to improve on both ends of the floor.
A year's experience can make a big difference.
Hopefully it’s a big enough jump (improvement) that shocks me.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

If there's improvement in the leaner meaner Rory, I hope it's on his already nice (team best?) 3 point shot. If he plays better D...great, I guess, but the dude deserves to shoot threes to at least Four territory volume-wise, and they should do their best to hide him on D if necessary, but focus like a laser on that O. As we get into the year, would much prefer to hear, "shooting tons of threes, teams having a hard time challenging that shot" than "has really picked it up on the defensive end"
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 9 months ago If there's improvement in the leaner, meaner Rory, I hope it's on his already nice (team best?) 3 point shot. If he plays better D...great, I guess, but the dude deserves to shoot threes to at least Four territory volume-wise, and they should do their best to hide him on D if necessary, but focus like a laser on that O. As we get into the year, would much prefer to hear, "shooting tons of threes, teams having a hard time challenging that shot" than "has really picked it up on the defensive end"
Think of someone like Andre Berry, for example. He always had an incredible touch and would score on the offensive end. But he was so bad on the defensive end it didn't matter because teams would score on him every time down the floor. Berry didn't play until he got into the best shape of his life and could hold his own on the defensive end. Like Berry, Rory was arguably our worst defender. If he's going to take a jump and play meaningful minutes, he needs to get better on that end, which it looks like he has. I'm all for him improving his shot, but I'm very happy he prioritized his speed and defending this offseason.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 9 months ago If there's improvement in the leaner, meaner Rory, I hope it's on his already nice (team best?) 3 point shot. If he plays better D...great, I guess, but the dude deserves to shoot threes to at least Four territory volume-wise, and they should do their best to hide him on D if necessary, but focus like a laser on that O. As we get into the year, would much prefer to hear, "shooting tons of threes, teams having a hard time challenging that shot" than "has really picked it up on the defensive end"
Think of someone like Andre Berry, for example. He always had an incredible touch and would score on the offensive end. But he was so bad on the defensive end it didn't matter because teams would score on him every time down the floor. Berry didn't play until he got into the best shape of his life and could hold his own on the defensive end. Like Berry, Rory was arguably our worst defender. If he's going to take a jump and play meaningful minutes, he needs to get better on that end, which it looks like he has. I'm all for him improving his shot, but I'm very happy he prioritized his speed and defending this offseason.
I guess, but, I think different position, Rory has greater O upside, and much easier to hide Rory on D.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Probable early starting line-up:
Kortright- PG
House - CG
Zek/ Weston- Wing

After that several question marks and one of the most inexperienced frontcourts in the conference.
But with that said, raw talent and upside will help make up for it, plus an expected major improvement over last season.

Rory- As a freshman played 26 games, started 3, averaged 10.5 minutes.
Brown- 2-years Juco
Foumena- RS freshman, plus undisclosed medical condition last year.
Fuchs- True freshman, play internationally.

Bilau- Probably won't be available till Dec/Jan coming off ACL surgery, played in 8 games 22-23.
Green- Multi-transfer, not yet eligible, needs a waiver. In 3 years prior only started 10 games (Hofstra, La.Tech)
Last edited by Jersey77 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Jersey77 wrote: 9 months ago Probable early starting line-up:
Kortright- PG
House - CG
Zek/ Weston- Wing

After that question several marks and one of the most inexperienced frontcourts in the conference.
But with that said, raw talent and upside will help make up for it, plus an expected major improvement over last season.

Brown- 2-years Juco

Bilau- Probably won't be available till Dec/Jan coming off ACL surgery, played in 8 games 22-23.
Green- Multi-transfer, not yet eligible, needs a waiver. In 3 years prior only started 10 games (Hofstra, La.Tech)
If Brown, Foumena, and Fuchs can carry the 4 and 5 spots by themselves, Rory could be used a the 3 if he's fast enough.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KevanBoyles wrote: 9 months ago
Kortright- PG
House - CG
Zek/ Weston- Wing

After that several question marks and one of the most inexperienced frontcourts in the conference.

Brown- 2-years Juco

If Brown, Foumena, and Fuchs can carry the 4 and 5 spots by themselves, Rory could be used a the 3 if he's fast enough.
I have a hard time seeing Rory at the 3. I think Zek and Weston will rotate there or at times if they go small maybe Zek at the 4.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Kortright- PG
House - CG
Zek/ Weston- Wing

After that question several marks and one of the most inexperienced frontcourts in the conference.

Brown- 2-years Juco

Stewart wasn't athletic enough to play the 4 last year. Talk of him at the 3 seems especially silly, even if he has dropped 15 pounds. He also needs to shoot more consistently to be playable at any position.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Kortright- PG
House - CG
Zek/ Weston- Wing

Brown- 2-years Juco

Rory is a stretch 4 and nothing more. Your 3 man has to be able to handle the ball - that isn't Rory.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Kortright- PG
House - CG
Zek/ Weston- Wing

Brown- 2-years Juco

Agree Jersey...if Green is eligible he will start based on what I saw. But if not in Game 1 I could see Archie throwing out both Zek and Weston with a 5 man.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Kortright- PG
House - CG
Zek/ Weston- Wing

Brown- 2-years Juco

Agree Jersey...if Green is eligible he will start based on what I saw. But if not in Game 1 I could see Archie throwing out both Zek and Weston with a 5 man.
Yes, Green is the starter, and Rory is definitely not playing the 3. If Weston doesn't start I could see him checking out based on what I'm hearing. I also heard he hated playing the 4 last year and if he didn't have to sit, he would have already transferred.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Kortright- PG
House - CG
Zek/ Weston- Wing

Brown- 2-years Juco

Yes, Green is the starter, and Rory is definitely not playing the 3. If Weston doesn't start I could see him checking out based on what I'm hearing. I also heard he hated playing the 4 last year and if he didn't have to sit, he would have already transferred.
Hm, well he should try not sucking so he can start.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

[/quote]

I hope this is not the case with Weston. It was obvious last year that he wasn't always giving it his all. We don't need another Freeman situation. I would hope if his attitude hasn't changed Archie would have politely shown him the door. In order for this group to have any success, they need to have specific roles and accept those roles. Team first..
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Kortright- PG
House - CG
Zek/ Weston- Wing

Brown- 2-years Juco

If Weston checks out too bad and a waste of talent. But would open up a spot for Farrell in 24-25. Aside from him, I don’t think the odds are good that Green gets a waiver. Which would mean Fuchs or Rory at the 4, or go small with Zek there.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree also Green is a starter if eligible along with Luis Jaden and Zek
5th spot is open I kind of like Tysons size and rebounding and would make Weston 6th man
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Kortright- PG
House - CG
Zek/ Weston- Wing

Brown- 2-years Juco

KB, ideally IF Rory was able to improve (in those areas needed to play the 3) his game enough to play some 3 it would give Archie more flexibility with the rotation and that would be a good thing. But, I do not expect Rory is capable to make the jump to improve enough in those skills needed to play the 3 adequately.

If he stays here all 4 years maybe he will grow as a player to play some 3 adequately. But he has a lot of work to put in and a high hill to climb to get there, imho.

Ideally I like your take but I don’t expect it because he hasn’t shown it yet or even any evidence yet he potentially can down the road. But, players have been known to transform themselves so you have compelled me to watch his development more closely.

Thanks for the post. I have something else to pay attention to when the games finally start.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Kortright- PG
House - CG
Zek/ Weston- Wing

Brown- 2-years Juco

KB, ideally IF Rory was able to improve (in those areas needed to play the 3) his game enough to play some 3 it would give Archie more flexibility with the rotation and that would be a good thing. But, I do not expect Rory is capable to make the jump to improve enough in those skills needed to play the 3 adequately.

If he stays here all 4 years maybe he will grow as a player to play some 3 adequately. But he has a lot of work to put in and a high hill to climb to get there, imho.

Ideally I like your take but I don’t expect it because he hasn’t shown it yet or even any evidence yet he potentially can down the road. But, players have been known to transform themselves so you have compelled me to watch his development more closely.

Thanks for the post. I have something else to pay attention to when the games finally start.
Thanks Jdrums.

If we have to go big, I think Rory could give us additional size and stretch the floor at the 3. Granted he would’t be a prototypical 3 (as maybe Zek, Weston, and Green) and I’m not suggesting he should start, but that would give us a lot more size and flexibility. Time will tell if that is an option.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Kortright- PG
House - CG
Zek/ Weston- Wing

Brown- 2-years Juco

If Weston checks out, that would suck. I really liked the signing and his potential. That said, whatever works best to get us wins. Go Rhody!