The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Re: The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago Nelson is a guy who could do well here.
He isn’t coming to URI. Why would he come here? We will be looking at guys at Power 5 guys that didn’t succeed at their school or didn’t get playing time. We will have to hope we get lucky with someone. Weston and Alex are the type of guys we will end up with
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Oh, yeah.

I said "Maybe no one wants to leave" that would be a good thing in Ish's case.

For all of the rest of them, they don't get to decide that. Not wanting to leave would only explain them not putting their name in the portal on day one and two. Putting your name in the portal requires a desire on your part to put your name in there.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago Nelson is a guy who could do well here.
He isn’t coming to URI. Why would he come here? We will be looking at guys at Power 5 guys that didn’t succeed at their school or didn’t get playing time. We will have to hope we get lucky with someone. Weston and Alex are the type of guys we will end up with
I'm hoping we can get some Iverson/Robinson type transfers that make an immediate impact.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yeah, I completely expect that the transfers we get this year will exceed the level of the transfers we got last year.

edit.

Well, you know, minus the Ant Harris situation. He was a big time talent, just kind of foolish, hindsight being 20/20 that he was ever going to play here
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Anyone else a bit surprised we haven't seen any of our players enter the portal immediately?
Yes, kinda stunned actually, the maybe no one wants to leave leaves me with meh……cause the ginormous improvements needed across the skill sets of those staying to move up in the A-10, somebody gotta go. Lots going into these kid’s decisions. Some will come soon, I hope.
Kind of torn on this - no one leaving does mean stability (see my prior post), but we also need obvious upgrades in skill level. Looking at the scholarship tracker thread we have 1 available scholarship assuming Carey returns. However, the current roster from gorhody has 13 players and does not include Freeman. Martin is done. So that's 12. Two of the players listed are Parnell Pierre and Jimmy Ball - are they walk ons? If so, do we have 3 to 4 open slots depending on Carey? If that's true, then we could be in good shape to get a few transfers even if no one leaves? I have to think that whoever does the scholarship tracker images is on point, but the roster today without freeman doesn't jive unless there are some redshirts and I know there is probably at least one.

In any case, stability is a good thing for the most part, though it may mean the impatient among us (and that includes me) may need to wait a bit longer than expected to get to where we want to be. It took Hurley 3 years to be near the bubble (they were an NIT team that year, and if close losses to Dayton and Davidson were wins, that could have put them over the edge. Also made the A10 semis that year). EC's acl and other injuries derailed them in year 4 and we all remember well years 5 and 6. I know it seems the portal is the magic elixir for going from worst to first these days, but is it that realistic? I think long term getting a good mix of recruits/portal to be here for years along with the occasional veteran presence is the way to go and what Archie is looking for.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea its a bit odd there's no news from Kingston. Its not something the players want to hear, but a few of them should look elsewhere. If they don't that a problem..
GO RAMS
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Imagine if Archie could persuade Battle to come here?

Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Well with his coach getting fired he can get a waiver no problem, but yes time will tell
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Well with his coach getting fired he can get a waiver no problem, but yes time will tell
I assume we'll be competing with at least 10 P5 teams lol. Probably a really low chance we get him.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Oh, man, Battle in a Rhody Uniform. Don't tease me like this.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Anyone else a bit surprised we haven't seen any of our players enter the portal immediately?
Yes, kinda stunned actually, the maybe no one wants to leave leaves me with meh……cause the ginormous improvements needed across the skill sets of those staying to move up in the A-10, somebody gotta go. Lots going into these kid’s decisions. Some will come soon, I hope.
Kind of torn on this - no one leaving does mean stability (see my prior post), but we also need obvious upgrades in skill level. Looking at the scholarship tracker thread we have 1 available scholarship assuming Carey returns. However, the current roster from gorhody has 13 players and does not include Freeman. Martin is done. So that's 12. Two of the players listed are Parnell Pierre and Jimmy Ball - are they walk ons? If so, do we have 3 to 4 open slots depending on Carey? If that's true, then we could be in good shape to get a few transfers even if no one leaves? I have to think that whoever does the scholarship tracker images is on point, but the roster today without freeman doesn't jive unless there are some redshirts and I know there is probably at least one.

In any case, stability is a good thing for the most part, though it may mean the impatient among us (and that includes me) may need to wait a bit longer than expected to get to where we want to be. It took Hurley 3 years to be near the bubble (they were an NIT team that year, and if close losses to Dayton and Davidson were wins, that could have put them over the edge. Also made the A10 semis that year). EC's acl and other injuries derailed them in year 4 and we all remember well years 5 and 6. I know it seems the portal is the magic elixir for going from worst to first these days, but is it that realistic? I think long term getting a good mix of recruits/portal to be here for years along with the occasional veteran presence is the way to go and what Archie is looking for.
Pierre and Ball are walk ons
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm kind of surprised that people don't know Pierre and Ball are walk ons.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The portal is that one device, like an Easter Egg in Ready Player One, or manna from heaven, that the NCAA gave us to compete with the big boys. It requires a coach being able to sell himself and his program, and a lot of emphasis on player evaluation. it's like our one chance, to level the playing field.

PC's Ed Cooley was lauded throughout the season as giving a master class on how to use it to build a NCAA level team.

so, please don't handcuff the coach in his ability to use it.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Archie did say after the last game in his presser (iirc, someone here posted the quote) that he would start recruiting right away (paraphrasing). My memory isn’t great, though, so I could be wrong.

That said and in light of the above, maybe he told the team to take some time off - because it’s been a long season and don’t rush a decision - and decide what you want to do with your basketball future over the break. When everyone is back, we will meet one on one and discuss what is best for both parties.

Pure, total speculation on my part as I have no inside info but it would tie in to what Stevey posted earlier today.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Yes please as well to this kid

jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I agree
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Archie did say after the last game in his presser (iirc, someone here posted the quote) that he would start recruiting right away (paraphrasing). My memory isn’t great, though, so I could be wrong.

That said and in light of the above, maybe he told the team to take some time off - because it’s been a long season and don’t rush a decision - and decide what you want to do with your basketball future over the break. When everyone is back, we will meet one on one and discuss what is best for both parties.

Pure, total speculation on my part as I have no inside info but it would tie in to what Stevey posted above.
You are correct he did say that quote, and yes maybe he did say that, we’re going to have 4 open schollys to fill for next year, it will happen eventually and the news will be out, and to add more Jd Archie could say go talk to you parents and discuss what would be best
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Yes please as well to this kid

Yes please!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Good dunker. Not a shooter. 17% from deep. Archie wants shooters.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s only March 14th, and a lot of teams are still playing. We’re way too early in the process to talk yourself into liking the current roster.

Ish is pretty much the only guy who could get attention from better schools. They’ll have their meetings, see which guys are definitely out who they’re fine with and who you might be willing to bring back if your other plans fall through, get some visits scheduled, and go.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago This thread makes me sick. The constant movement of players is killing college basketball.
Just think RF1, there will be 1,800 in the portal. Just the tip of the iceberg now. And a long window for signing transfers.
Then we get to do it all again starting next March.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

Good dunker. Not a shooter. 17% from deep. Archie wants shooters.
Yeah that 17% from three is a very large red flag for me. Yeah his dunking is nice, might as well just keep Jalen Carey rather than going after another guard who can't shoot. He also had more turnovers than Jalen...
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

1st time transfers have until May 1st to enter the portal to qualify for the no-sit rule.
Plenty of talent already there with many more to come.

Also, spring signing period runs from April 12 to May 17.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I’m not surprised we don’t have players in the portal…beside Ish who has a resume that anyone wants? Crappy numbers on a crappy team…sign ‘em up! Said no one.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I’m not surprised we don’t have players in the portal…beside Ish who has a resume that anyone wants? Crappy numbers on a crappy team…sign ‘em up! Said no one.
I mean, I don't want to name names, but we've had plenty of players who could barely get minutes here transfer down. It's way more odd when it doesn't happen - in those cases, I normally assume that the player has horrible academics, or has a life situation issue preventing them from playing college ball.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Crazy season: March Madness; Coaching Carousel; Potalpalooza.

I really am enjoying it this year so far.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I’m not surprised we don’t have players in the portal…beside Ish who has a resume that anyone wants? Crappy numbers on a crappy team…sign ‘em up! Said no one.
I mean, I don't want to name names, but we've had plenty of players who could barely get minutes here transfer down. It's way more odd when it doesn't happen - in those cases, I normally assume that the player has horrible academics, or has a life situation issue preventing them from playing college ball.
Or they like the charter flights and all the perks we provide and know they won't have that down below?
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Or they like the charter flights and all the perks we provide and know they won't have that down below?
These kids tend to be competitive, they’ve been high level basketball players their whole lives until now. They want to play. And they can! Just likely at another program.

The staff will spell it out very clearly to the kids they hope are gone. There isn’t playing time for you here. It’s likely in your best interest to find a new home and they’ll help make those connections if necessary
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

SG, don’t ever name names. Doing so could get you black listed at Hop Sings Restaurant…like Elaine’s boy friend did. :lol:
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

We have reached out to a lot of players in the portal. In my lifetime I have reached out to dozens of gorgeous, sexy women…none have given me an official visit.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago We have reached out to a lot of players in the portal. In my lifetime I have reached out to dozens of gorgeous, sexy women…none have given me an official visit.
Very good, that is hilarious. :D
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago We have reached out to a lot of players in the portal. In my lifetime I have reached out to dozens of gorgeous, sexy women…none have given me an official visit.
Very good, that is hilarious. :D
Let’s put that Ramulous post into the “post of the off season” category, well done sir!
Ram logo via Grist 1938
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I’m not buying it.

I’m sure he got some unofficial visits along the way
theblueram
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I’m not buying it.

Maybe at Bressler or Heathman???????
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
These shooting %s aren't bad either!

44% FG
39.5% 3PT
75.8% FT
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

OK fine. Gotta ask, are we settling for lower level players, playing in their former competition looking to move up, or holding out for higher level players looking to move down? Combo of both, the Archie fit, avoiding head cases, academically fit, injury/rehab free, good citizens, etc etc. lots of factors involved I guess. Hopefully our GM has all this figured out?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago OK fine. Gotta ask, are we settling for lower level players, playing in their former competition looking to move up, or holding out for higher level players looking to move down? Combo of both, the Archie fit, avoiding head cases, academically fit, injury/rehab free, good citizens, etc etc. lots of factors involved I guess. Hopefully our GM has all this figured out?
For me, I'm hoping we land high rated recruits in October. As far as transfers, I hope Archie has Hurley's wisdom and signs players like Kuran Iverson and Stan Robinson. We have assistants that should be able to get the recruits. Let's see what they can do. They have been in place for a year now.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unofficials are a lot more fun anyway. ;)
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago 1st time transfers have until May 1st to enter the portal to qualify for the no-sit rule.

I don't think we do anything in the late signing period. It was either Archie or one of the assistants that said high school recruiting was pretty much wrapped up and they were moving onto the portal.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago 1st time transfers have until May 1st to enter the portal to qualify for the no-sit rule.

I don't think we do anything in the late signing period. It was either Archie or one of the assistants that said high school recruiting was pretty much wrapped up and they were moving onto the portal.
I do believe the early signing period for 24 recruits is October. That's for freshman recruits.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unofficials are a lot more fun anyway. ;)
Now, thinking back, I gotta say, yes they were. Whether it be the wink wink of the RA, in these, Hope, Weldin, Rosevelt, with the room door kinda open…….good times.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I do believe the early signing period for 24 recruits is October. That's for freshman recruits.
April is the late signing period for the '23s.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Yeah, I'm not concerned with that. I want to see who we sign in October for 24's.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, I'm not concerned with that. I want to see who we sign in October for 24's.
Me too. That's why I said to Jersey that we're done recruiting the '23 class.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Me too. That's why I said to Jersey that we're done recruiting the '23 class.
DH had 4* recruits sign early. Gonna be interesting to see what these high powered assistants can deliver in October.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago
Was wrong about this one. For sure thought he'd have some P6 interest.

Not shocked at all though to see Bryant up there.
He's not going up a level
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 1 year ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
He had a few nice moments for a bad team. He has a very involved twitter family member, who called out Ewing a few times about playing time. He might have been correct but something to maybe consider.
As good as Bassey?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I’m not buying it.

That's what I was thinking....