1/19 | La Salle | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/19 | La Salle | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox seems like he's doing all he can with what he's got....which doesn't absolve him from guilt in any way.

Between his lack of coaching ability plus not enough talent, it's a perfect storm of suck.

For some schools in this conference, they would be happy with the state of this program.

But for us, it's not close to where we should aspire to be, and it's not going to get any closer with this coach.

The sooner Thorr realizes this, the better off we'll be....of course that's if we hit a home run with the next coach.

That's no sure thing of course, but I'm totally happy with taking that chance.

Some here seem to be happy with the current state of affairs....others still have the blinders on wishing for improvement that's not going to come.

It's always "Well let's wait for the season to play out!"

And next season and the season after that.

I'm 70 damn it, and I can't wait 5 years or whatever for another round of success to come....and I know that consistent success here is a pipe dream based on our history....but I want to at least see it happen again!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cox has definitely improved over last year and the team is a lot better

I still would like to see us go in a different direction after the season
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Damn Rambone, you're making me feel young. Thanks! I'm with you and everyone else bemoaning the lack of excitement and optimism for this program. Despite my advanced years I'm just a recent convert to Rhody basketball. It was so much fun getting to the NCAA tournament and winning games. So you'll have to forgive me if I'm not doing somersaults for beating LaSalle by two points because they missed wide open three-point shots in their last possession.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Section104 wrote: 2 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
Section104 wrote: 2 years ago I didn’t watch this game. Completely forgot it was on. I think that says more about the state of the program than anything.
I hear you, and I'm someone who consistently tried my best to show up as early as I could once the doors opened. Loved watching them warm up.
Honestly it's pretty sad. Part of it is me just having less time on my hands with a 2 year old, but this would never happen if there was some level of excitement around the program.

This is coming from the same person that was glued to my phone watching the last seconds of a URI victory over Davidson March 11 2017 seconds before my bride walked down the aisle. Who woke up the day after my wedding and said limited goodbyes to my guests that traveled to Lake Louise, AB to see us get married because I was focused on the VCU Championship game.

I traveled shortly thereafter to Sacramento to see the game live and got to see Jim Harrick and Lamar Odom in person for the first time since Lamar was my coach at URI Basketball camp in 1998-1999.

It's hard to kill that type of passion, but it's happening and I know I'm not alone.
I would say I completely am on the same page as you.

Also, that is really some cool background info on those Wins 5 years ago! Great memories I'm sure.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhodyFanNotAlum wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago If we go 8-6 the rest of the way, that’s 20 wins.

That would make Baron’s 20 win seasons look great by comparison.

At least when he won 20 games, we usually went to the NIT.

Not a chance we go there this year even with that.
20 wins gets a NIT bid and an extension.
I don’t think that’s an automatic NIT bid this year (more likely CBI) but regrettably I do believe 20 wins gets an extension.

Wait but isn't CBI about $50k to buy-in?
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

20 wins gets a NIT bid and an extension.
I don’t think that’s an automatic NIT bid this year (more likely CBI) but regrettably I do believe 20 wins gets an extension.

Wait but isn’t CBI about $50k to buy-in?
You’re right, I forgot about that. I guess you still need to be invited AND pay the money, so you could always decline, but that just seems to me like the much more likely invitation ahead of the NIT if thet’re sitting at exactly 20 wins.

22, 23 wins … that’s NIT territory in my mind.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

You’re right, I forgot about that. I guess you still need to be invited AND pay the money, so you could always decline, but that just seems to me like the much more likely invitation ahead of the NIT if thet’re sitting at exactly 20 wins.

If they get 20 regular season wins, plus maybe 1 or 2 in the A10T, yes probably an NIT invite.

I could be wrong but don't remember a 20-game winner (reg season) in the A10 not getting an NIT bid.
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

If they get 20 regular season wins, plus maybe 1 or 2 in the A10T, yes probably an NIT invite.

I could be wrong but don’t remember a 20-game winner (reg season) in the A10 not getting an NIT bid.
Maybe I’m putting too much emphasis on the weak schedule in my mind — but I’m not saying it’s not possible at 20 wins, just that it’s by no means a no-brainer.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago

I'm sorry, did we change the name of this section to "NIT or Bust"?
Exactly. Who cares about the NIT?? You think that is going to draw a packed house in the Ryan Center? It didn’t look like there were too many people in the Ryan Center tonight. I can’t think of anything worse than either just making or missing the NIT and an extension for Cox. I would prefer to just lose than struggle with this mirage of wins against one bad team after another.
RamStock, your comment indicates that you would prefer us to lose just to hasten your wish for Cox to be replaced.

As a longtime fan and supporter, I would never root against our Rams regardless of how I felt about our coach.
Not looking to have an end of the year discussion about if we are in or out for the NIT or some other garbage tournament. How many years have you seen a URI team be 12-4 and there is absolutely no buzz around this program and I mean none. No one is excited for this team or believes they are any good with a lack of faith in the coach. I just don't want to see bad win after bad win and then Thorr says "how can we get rid of Cox in another COVID year where things were stacked against him, etc. My guess is they will let him have his last year of his contract. The recruiting aspect is worthless anyway as this has become a transfer minded college basketball at this point with maybe 1-2 guys that we recruit that will make an impact. Look at the guys we have recruited the last 2 years. Does anyone see them making any true impact for an NCAA quality team?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I could be wrong but don’t remember a 20-game winner (reg season) in the A10 not getting an NIT bid.
Maybe I’m putting too much emphasis on the weak schedule in my mind — but I’m not saying it’s not possible at 20 wins, just that it’s by no means a no-brainer.
I’d be shocked if we win 20 and get an NIT berth even if we make the A10 final

Maybe if we win 22 and then a game or 2 we would have a shot
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 2 years ago

Reef, I disagree with you on this one.

Like I said, when has a 20-game winner (reg season) A10, have not received an NIT bid, regardless of schedule?
I think history works against you.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Exactly. Who cares about the NIT?? You think that is going to draw a packed house in the Ryan Center? It didn’t look like there were too many people in the Ryan Center tonight. I can’t think of anything worse than either just making or missing the NIT and an extension for Cox. I would prefer to just lose than struggle with this mirage of wins against one bad team after another.
RamStock, your comment indicates that you would prefer us to lose just to hasten your wish for Cox to be replaced.

As a longtime fan and supporter, I would never root against our Rams regardless of how I felt about our coach.
Not looking to have an end of the year discussion about if we are in or out for the NIT or some other garbage tournament. How many years have you seen a URI team be 12-4 and there is absolutely no buzz around this program and I mean none. No one is excited for this team or believes they are any good with a lack of faith in the coach. I just don't want to see bad win after bad win and then Thorr says "how can we get rid of Cox in another COVID year where things were stacked against him, etc. My guess is they will let him have his last year of his contract. The recruiting aspect is worthless anyway as this has become a transfer minded college basketball at this point with maybe 1-2 guys that we recruit that will make an impact. Look at the guys we have recruited the last 2 years. Does anyone see them making any true impact for an NCAA quality team?
I will be very surprised if Cox coaches here next season without some sort of an extension.

It is too early for me to make a judgement call on Ish, Samb, Tres, or Ileri.
However, I still feel our transfers may be talented enough to take us to the NCAAT, probably not this season but possibly 22-23.

I also think Thorr has a good handle on things and knows exactly what he is doing.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Like I said, when has a 20-game winner (reg season) A10, have not received an NIT bid, regardless of schedule?
Not sure don’t know how to look up that stat but it would be interesting to know I would think it’s happened a few times
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Not sure don’t know how to look up that stat but it would be interesting to know I would think it’s happened a few times
I was curious so I checked. 2016-17 George Mason was 20-14 and GW was 20-15 and both went to the CBI. St. Bonaventure was 20-12 and didn't play in the postseason (turned down a CBI invite maybe?).

I have a feeling we'll probably end up right around the 20 win mark this season, so we'll see what happens this time.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago

I was curious so I checked. 2016-17 George Mason was 20-14 and GW was 20-15 and both went to the CBI. St. Bonaventure was 20-12 and didn't play in the postseason (turned down a CBI invite maybe?).

I have a feeling we'll probably end up right around the 20 win mark this season, so we'll see what happens this time.
In 2016-17
GM - Only won 19 regular season games and 1 A10T game.
Bonnies- Won 19 regular season games and 1 A10T game
GW- Only won 18 regular season games and 1 A10T game and 1 CBI game.

Keep trying.
Not sure you will find any teams in the A10 that won 20 reg. season games and didn't get invited to the NIT.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Cox seems like he's doing all he can with what he's got....which doesn't absolve him from guilt in any way.

Between his lack of coaching ability plus not enough talent, it's a perfect storm of suck.

For some schools in this conference, they would be happy with the state of this program.

But for us, it's not close to where we should aspire to be, and it's not going to get any closer with this coach.

The sooner Thorr realizes this, the better off we'll be....of course that's if we hit a home run with the next coach.

Some here seem to be happy with the current state of affairs....others still have the blinders on wishing for improvement that's not going to come.

I'm 70 damn it, and I can't wait 5 years or whatever for another round of success to come....and I know that consistent success here is a pipe dream based on our history....but I want to at least see it happen again!
With the exception of a couple of years under Hurley and those two years in the late 90s, this statement could've been posted every year for the past 20+. I mean think about that. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Mobley was fouled.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago

In 2016-17
GM - Only won 19 regular season games and 1 A10T game.
Bonnies- Won 19 regular season games and 1 A10T game
GW- Only won 18 regular season games and 1 A10T game and 1 CBI game.

Keep trying.
Not sure you will find any teams in the A10 that won 20 reg. season games and didn't get invited to the NIT.
Good catch. It never occurred to me that sites would be including postseason games in their standings tables for win totals. I just assumed it was regular season records like every other sport.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

It's hard to get an NIT bid now.
At-large bids are usually only given if a team is in the neighborhood of top 70 NET.
Maybe someone who is near 80 can get a bid, but I doubt any A-10 teams lower than 80 will be selected.
Rhody has a ton of work to do to make the NIT.
20 wins (regular season or total) is not going to cut it.
Especially not if AIC is one of them.

That being said, I've been impressed with their play since the AIC game (for the most part).
So it's not out of the question...
But if bids went out today, we're looking at CBI or CIT or nothing.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago It's hard to get an NIT bid now.
At-large bids are usually only given if a team is in the neighborhood of top 70 NET.
Maybe someone who is near 80 can get a bid, but I doubt any A-10 teams lower than 80 will be selected.
Rhody has a ton of work to do to make the NIT.
20 wins (regular season or total) is not going to cut it.
Especially not if AIC is one of them.

That being said, I've been impressed with their play since the AIC game (for the most part).
So it's not out of the question...
But if bids went out today, we're looking at CBI or CIT or nothing.

The NET rankings just came into play in 2019.
In 2020 there was no postseason.
In 2021 because of Covid the NIT was scaled down to only 16 teams (4 being from the A10)

So, to say that at-large NIT bids are usually only given to teams in the neighborhood of 70 NET isn't relevant at this point.
There really isn't much history to go by.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

We have 11 wins. I'd be shocked if they count a D2 game. Maybe im wrong, but I view us with 11 wins... We have 6 more games against weak opponents. Richmond isn't an easy game, but that would still only be a Quad 3 win. Anything can happen, and it's tough to win on the road against any A10 team, but we have done a great job of beating these opponents this year.

Quad 3/4 Games
VS GW
VS Richmond
AT Fordham
VS UMass
AT GW
VS Duquense
AT St. Joes

Win all of those, and that would put us at 18 wins...

Quad 1/2 Games
At Dayton- Quad 1
At VCU- Quad 1
VS St Louis- Quad 2
At Bonnies- Quad 2
VS Dayton- Quad 2
VS Davidson- Quad 2

I agree with Jersey that we are an NIT team if we get to 20 wins. We would need to pick up a couple of good wins to get there.

I'm so excited to be talking about our chances of making the NIT again!!!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….20+ wins + one A-10 tourney game win + NIT = extension…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….20+ wins + one A-10 tourney game win + NIT = extension…….
As Stevey points out, and I will begrudgingly admit, actually getting to that level *would* require at least some sustained success. I'm pessimistic that we could do that, given performance to date against bad teams - we're due to NOT win a close one - but if they did, well, Cox might then deserve a short extension.

I kind of assume one of two things happens from here: 1) URI starts to lose some of these close games against bad teams instead of winning them, because they've been 50/50 propositions, and loses against the actual good teams on their schedule. 2) URI actually gels as a team and starts beating the crap out of the weaker teams, and wins against most of the better teams. My heart wants #2, but my head says #1 is more likely.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That's my opinion also, SG.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Cox seems like he's doing all he can with what he's got....which doesn't absolve him from guilt in any way.

With the exception of a couple of years under Hurley and those two years in the late 90s, this statement could've been posted every year for the past 20+. I mean think about that. Wash, rinse, repeat.
That's a bit off - we went to the postseason (NCAA or NIT) 6 times in the 90s. Both NIT runs were deep runs of 3 games and really exciting seasons and of course the magical season of 97-98. Baron we were on the precipice numerous times, with 4-5 seasons that carried with them various stages of excitement and ultimately falling short with NIT bids instead of NCAA bids. Then we had Hurley. That statement makes it seem like we are Fordham or Lasalle and we are light years away from that.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

That's a bit off - we went to the postseason (NCAA or NIT) 6 times in the 90s. Both NIT runs were deep runs of 3 games and really exciting seasons and of course the magical season of 97-98. Baron we were on the precipice numerous times, with 4-5 seasons that carried with them various stages of excitement and ultimately falling short with NIT bids instead of NCAA bids. Then we had Hurley. That statement makes it seem like we are Fordham or Lasalle and we are light years away from that.
That's a positive spin, which I appreciate. But I personally don't count successes with NIT bids, just my opinion. An NIT bid this year would be a step in the right direction, but so far I'm not feeling the "exciting season" vibe...
Mobley was fouled.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Look we are not that great of a team and our record of 12-4 is not a true indicator.

We have a lot of good players (not great) and what gives us an advantage is the quality of our depth with a solid 9-man rotation.

I think we will lose some games we probably shouldn't and we may have a couple of surprise wins.

Realistically, I think we should win about 20 games or come very close and possibly a couple of tournament games.
Yes, I would love for us to win the A10T.

All this considered an NIT bid is a definite possibility, I understand that is not what we all hope for.

With all that being said and if I was a betting person, I think Cox will be retained with some sort of an extension, to the dismay of many on this board.
Keep in mind, most HC don't coach out their contract.

IMO
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is the campus (dorms) open for students this weekend ? I know classes start in a few days. I'd like to start to see some of them back at the games. We need at least a little bit of energy in the building.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Is the campus (dorms) open for students this weekend ? I know classes start in a few days. I'd like to start to see some of them back at the games. We need at least a little bit of energy in the building.
……..maybe beers in the seats will also help……ya know to stay hydrated before classes begin…..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

That's a positive spin, which I appreciate. But I personally don't count successes with NIT bids, just my opinion. An NIT bid this year would be a step in the right direction, but so far I'm not feeling the "exciting season" vibe...
It depends on the season. With a young team or new core playing yourself into an NIT berth can be a nice end to a season and set you up for the next year. Other seasons it’s a complete disappointment to end up in the NIT bc you fell out of the NCAA picture. From personal experience our NIT win at BC in the early nineties was one of the most exciting Rhody wins to witness live. The next season that same roster went to the NCAAs.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Look we are not that great of a team and our record of 12-4 is not a true indicator.

We have a lot of good players (not great) and what gives us an advantage is the quality of our depth with a solid 9-man rotation.

I think we will lose some games we probably shouldn't and we may have a couple of surprise wins.

Realistically, I think we should win about 20 games or come very close and possibly a couple of tournament games.
Yes, I would love for us to win the A10T.

All this considered an NIT bid is a definite possibility, I understand that is not what we all hope for.

With all that being said and if I was a betting person, I think Cox will be retained with some sort of an extension, to the dismay of many on this board.
Keep in mind, most HC don't coach out their contract.

IMO
Agree. Not ideal by any means but...likely. just over .500 in conference, lose in the semis of A10T, NIT bid... extension...