2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramfan22
ARD

Re: 2022-23 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, that's 29 games. Still room for 2 more.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

It’s finalized

Texas State and UMass Lowell added (Texas St could be decent but Umass Lowell is a shitty opponents)
Last edited by Dino611 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

It’s finalized

Texas State and UMass Lowell added (they’re sucky opponents)
Disappointing
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

It’s finalized

Texas State and UMass Lowell added (they’re sucky opponents)
Disappointing
Definitely is what it is, in a sense. Rebuilding year, with no recent track record to warrant quality opponents.

That being said, definitely going to hurt ticket sales. Nothing to look forward to besides PC
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Woof.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I second that. Nothing to get excited about except the PC game.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NET for 2021-2022:

142- URI (14-16)

2022-23 Non-Conference Schedule NET in order from best to worst last season
24-Dec. 3 - Providence (27-6)

Nov. 21 - vs. 69-Kansas State (14-17) (Cayman Islands Classic)
Nov. 22 - vs. 125-Nevada (12-18)/94-Tulane (14-15) (Cayman Islands Classic)
Nov. 23 - vs. TBD (Cayman Islands Classic)

127-Nov. 12 - Texas State (18-8)
141-Nov. 27 - at Boston College (13-20)
158-Dec. 18 - at Georgia State (15-11)
212-Dec. 7 - Brown (11-16)
231-Nov. 7 - Quinnipiac (13-17)
232-Nov. 15 - Stony Brook (17-13)
247-Dec. 13 - UMass Lowell (12-16)
279-Dec. 10 - Army (13-16)
333-Dec. 22 - Milwaukee (9-22)

https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2022/net
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Quinnipiac, Texas State and Stony Brook all at home prior to the Cayman Islands Classic.

2022-23 Non-Conference Schedule
Nov. 7 - Quinnipiac
Nov. 12 - Texas State
Nov. 15 - Stony Brook
Nov. 21 - vs. Kansas State (Cayman Islands Classic)
Nov. 22 - vs. Nevada/Tulane (Cayman Islands Classic)
Nov. 23 - vs. TBD (Cayman Islands Classic)

Nov. 27 - at Boston College
Dec. 3 - Providence
Dec. 7 - Brown
Dec. 10 - Army
Dec. 13 - UMass Lowell
Dec. 18 - at Georgia State
Dec. 22 - Milwaukee
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

So it seems like either no decent teams wanted to start a series with us, we purposely didn't schedule them hoping for better opportunities next year, or Archie would rather schedule buy games early in the season before the conference season starts.

Yearly rivals: Providence, Brown
Ending a series: Boston College, Georgia State, Milwaukee
Most likely buy games: Quinnipiac, Texas State, Stony Brook, Army, UMass Lowell

So that means we have a lot of out of conference to schedule next year. We have Providence, Brown, and maybe Seton Hall lined up
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

On the positive side, 17 home games.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Bryant would have been much better than most of our home games. That's my only complaint.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Lotsa yummy cupcakes 🧁

A positive for upcoming season IMO
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I'm okay with this cupcake schedule in year one. Lots of new faces, lots of inexperience on this roster so I think it will do the team good to get some wins under their belt against some cupcakes in order to build confidence and cohesion.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Meh. An expected meh, but a meh nonetheless.

Use this schedule to gain some confidence and work out rotations while trying really hard not to lose any game you shouldn’t.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Maybe swap out Texas State for Bryant. Otherwise, looks like a schedule for a team with many new faces and a new coaching staff.

Perhaps Chris D or Bill K will catch up with Archie to discuss the schedule machinations. I am always curious into what went into our coaches thought process. It gives me some insight into his thoughts on the team.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Only complaint (and maybe a little surprising) is no Bryant this year.

All things considered, I fully expected a schedule like this.
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rack up some W's!

I'll be in Atlanta to watch them I know that much.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Nice!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Texas State is a kind of weird addition, but hell, they're currently our 4th best OOC game on the schedule. Count me among those that would swap Bryant for UMass-Lowell, Army or Milwaukee, just because that's more fun, but I'm not going to stump hard for that. Overall, I think it's fine for a rebuilding year, but I'd be disappointed if this was our schedule in 2023-24 or 2024-25.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It's a really weak schedule but considering I haven't been to a game since March of 2020, I'm not going to complain. Just ready to see some live URI hoops!!! With Arch Miller on the sidelines!!!!!!!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I am in the camp of being okay with this schedule 22-23.

Yes, Bryant would have been nice but not sure that was able to get worked out.

Having 8 OOC home games works out fine for us this season.

I also feel our schedule this year won't have a big effect on attendance.
After dealing with all the limitations of Covid and having Archie and company, plus a new roster, fans will be excited to show up.
Especially if we win the games that we are supposed to.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Maybe swap out Texas State for Bryant. Otherwise, looks like a schedule for a team with many new faces and a new coaching staff.

Perhaps Chris D or Bill K will catch up with Archie to discuss the schedule machinations. I am always curious into what went into our coaches thought process. It gives me some insight into his thoughts on the team.
Texas State is the highest OOC NET ranked team (2021-2022) we play in the Ryan Center outside of PC.

Texas State won the Sunbelt Conference last year but got upset by 8-seed Louisiana Lafayette in the AQ Tournament. Louisiana went to the Championship game but lost to 3-seed Georgia State as Georgia State got the NCAA Tournament Bid. Rob Lanier HC GSU then went to SMU while Interim HC Jonas Hayes of Xavier (after Steele got fired) won the NiT and took the Georgia State HC job.

Texas State has 38,000 students, Georgia State has 54,000 Students. Sunbelt is FBS Football. Both schools are growing their athletic programs and facilities to one day move up in the Football world.

Milwaukee is a disastrous 333 NET and we did a Home-Home with them
Georgia State is also Home-Home

Would not be surprised if Texas State is a Home-Home. I like this game and I hope it is a Home-Home
F09A48F0-1DB7-4391-84B7-011043261354.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I am in the camp of being okay with this schedule 22-23.

After dealing with all the limitations of Covid and having Archie and company, plus a new roster, fans will be excited to show up.
I think there’s something to be said about student attendance though. Not sure that students care about Archie Miller as much as us. Generally they care about 2 things:

1) Winning. A team with a good record generates buzz. I will say this schedule could set up favorably for that. The average student isn’t looking at our NET to decide if our 10-2 record justifies their attendance. But they’d much rather show out for a 10-2 team over a 5-7 squad

2) Good opponents. The idea of playing a ranked team gets people to the gate. Nothing comparable
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Eight home games is the most in several years. Had been maximum six most seasons recently. Rhody had played several less home games in recent years than most all other A-10 schools save for LaSalle. Eight home games puts it more in line with the top schools of the A-10 such as Dayton, VCU, and SLU. It will always be tough to get big names to Kingston. The reasonable goal should be to get more neutral site games versus high profile opponents and upgrade the level for teams that URI does H&H's with. No more series with teams such as Milwaukee, MTSU, and Ga State. Will always have a number of buy games with cupcakes to pad the record as that is the norm for better programs.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ESPN+ Price goes from $69.99/year to $99.99/year on 8/23.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Maybe swap out Texas State for Bryant. Otherwise, looks like a schedule for a team with many new faces and a new coaching staff.

Texas State is the highest OOC NET ranked team (2021-2022) we play in the Ryan Center outside of PC.

Texas State won the Sunbelt Conference last year but got upset by 8-seed Louisiana Lafayette in the AQ Tournament. Louisiana went to the Championship game but lost to 3-seed Georgia State as Georgia State got the NCAA Tournament Bid. Rob Lanier HC GSU then went to SMU while Interim HC Jonas Hayes of Xavier (after Steele got fired) won the NiT and took the Georgia State HC job.

Texas State has 38,000 students, Georgia State has 54,000 Students. Sunbelt is FBS Football. Both schools are growing their athletic programs and facilities to one day move up in the Football world.

Would not be surprised if Texas State is a Home-Home. I like this game and I hope it is a Home-Home

Ramster, I agree with you about Texas State.
I think they are a good addition to this year's schedule and glad we have them at home.

Terrence Johnson is one of the better young and up-and-coming coaches.
In his 2 years as HC, he is 39-15 (24-6 conf).
Both years Sun-Belt COY, and regular season champs.

The Strahan Arena is a nice facility that seats 10,000.

This will be a rebuilding season for Texas State, but they do return their star player Mason Harrell (All Conference)
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Eight home games is the most in several years. Had been maximum six most seasons recently. Rhody had played several less home games in recent years than most all other A-10 schools save for LaSalle. Eight home games puts it more in line with the top schools of the A-10 such as Dayton, VCU, and SLU. It will always be tough to get big names to Kingston. The reasonable goal should be to get more neutral site games versus high profile opponents and upgrade the level for teams that URI does H&H's with. No more series with teams such as Milwaukee, MTSU, and Ga State. Will always have a number of buy games with cupcakes to pad the record as that is the norm for better programs.
I totally agree with this. If anyone thought that we were going get a bunch of P6 teams to come to the RC this year is out of their mind given our record/metrics over the past couple years. I'm not suggesting that i'm thrilled with the schedule either, but that's just the reality of the situation.
Common sense is not common.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Eight home games is the most in several years. Had been maximum six most seasons recently. Rhody had played several less home games in recent years than most all other A-10 schools save for LaSalle. Eight home games puts it more in line with the top schools of the A-10 such as Dayton, VCU, and SLU. It will always be tough to get big names to Kingston. The reasonable goal should be to get more neutral site games versus high profile opponents and upgrade the level for teams that URI does H&H's with. No more series with teams such as Milwaukee, MTSU, and Ga State. Will always have a number of buy games with cupcakes to pad the record as that is the norm for better programs.
I totally agree with this. If anyone thought that we were going get a bunch of P6 teams to come to the RC this year is out of their mind given our record/metrics over the past couple years. I'm not suggesting that i'm thrilled with the schedule either, but that's just the reality of the situation.
When we suck we say no P6’s will come here and when we are good we say no P6’s will come here because they are afraid to.

As P6’s have gone to 20 game conference schedules they have less desire to play mid-majors than they had before. I’ll bet Seton Hall backs out of their agreement and we don’t see them in the Ryan Center. Then we had #whoducken and Nevada.

I like the Sunbelt Games with Georgia State and Texas State. Good competition and gives our fans/alumni in other geographical areas a chance to attend a game and attend a pregame alumni event. FGSU was a good Home-Home.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good info, Ramster, thanks. I didn’t know that.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I am sure Dayton took UMass/Lowell lightly and looked past them, until they got beat by them at home last season.

UMass/Lowell returns their top 3 scorers and 4 out of 5 starters.

We can't afford to over-look any game this season, our season will be a struggle.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I am sure Dayton took UMass/Lowell lightly and looked past them, until they got beat by them at home last season.

We can't afford to over-look any game this season, our season will be a struggle.
Lot of new faces. Basically a new team. At this point I have no idea what we have as a team. But I know we have Archie Miller as coach. Gonna be interesting.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don’t have a problem with this schedule at all in year 1 of the Arch era

When we are ready to compete for an at large Arch will schedule accordingly

My friend is a foot doctor @ Texas St
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Texas St has experience and can shoot the rock. They are not a team we should lose to at home, but it'll be a tougher matchup.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

When we suck we say no P6’s will come here and when we are good we say no P6’s will come here because they are afraid to.

As P6’s have gone to 20 game conference schedules they have less desire to play mid-majors than they had before. I’ll bet Seton Hall backs out of their agreement and we don’t see them in the Ryan Center. Then we had #whoducken and Nevada.

I like the Sunbelt Games with Georgia State and Texas State. Good competition and gives our fans/alumni in other geographical areas a chance to attend a game and attend a pregame alumni event. FGSU was a good Home-Home.
I really hope we end up playing Seton Hall next year. I expect us to be a lot better and it'll be a tough test for us on the road.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I am sure Dayton took UMass/Lowell lightly and looked past them, until they got beat by them at home last season.

Don’t underestimate the Greg Hammond revenge game potential. He should be good for like 4 points in 9 minutes.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 1 year ago

Don’t underestimate the Greg Hammond revenge game potential. He should be good for like 4 points in 9 minutes.
Only problem with that, Greg Hamond is no longer listed on their roster
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Any idea where he’s taking his talents next?
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Texas St has experience and can shoot the rock. They are not a team we should lose to at home, but it'll be a tougher matchup.
Are we really going to start pumping Texas State's tires?????

This non conference home schedule will get us plenty of wins but will not bring people to the RC.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodyram wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Texas St has experience and can shoot the rock. They are not a team we should lose to at home, but it'll be a tougher matchup.

This non conference home schedule will get us plenty of wins but will not bring people to the RC.
Agree with Stevey, as a matter of fact we shouldn't underestimate any team this season.
We should win these games, but you never know.

Don't concern yourself with the attendance, the powers to be know what they are doing.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Any idea where he’s taking his talents next?
He transferred to South Arkansas.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We already had Seton Hall in the Ryan Center, it's the game at their place that's still owed. Also, there's no indication yet that Texas State is a home and home
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

We already had Seton Hall in the Ryan Center, it's the game at their place that's still owed. Also, there's no indication yet that Texas State is a home and home
Correct, no indication yet, I’d just be surprised that the Sunbelt Conference Champ the past two years would agree to a single game and not home-home. But we should know soon enough. Would be a good road game in return.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Correct, no indication yet, I’d just be surprised that the Sunbelt Conference Champ the past two years would agree to a single game and not home-home. But we should know soon enough. Would be a good road game in return.
The Sun Belt Conference? Seriously? This is a buy game all the way.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

If this game was there this season not sure we would be favored.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhodyram wrote: 1 year ago

I think they would have beaten us last year. They bring back most of their key players that played a good North Texas team tight in the NIT. As I said, we should not lose to them, but they won’t be a cupcake.

I’ll be at every game. I guess we’ll see you whenever we play a marquee opponent.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If this game was there this season not sure we would be favored.
Texas State NET = 127, URI NET 142 last season

We would not have been favored in a game played @ Texas State
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Georgia State OOC Schedule released today:

URI game follows a game 4 days earlier @ Auburn

Monday, October 31st vs Morehouse (Exhibition)
Monday, November 7th vs Coastal Georgia
Saturday, November 12th vs Georgia Tech
Tuesday, November 15th vs Mercer
Friday, November 18th vs Eastern Kentucky
Saturday, November 19th vs Texas A&M - Commerce
Sunday, November 20th vs UNC-Asheville
Sunday, November 27th vs Belmont
Thursday, December 1st vs Middle Georgia State
Sunday, December 4th at Northeastern
Wednesday, December 14th at Auburn
Sunday, December 18th vs Rhode Island
Wednesday, December 21st vs Toccoa Falls
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I am in the camp of being okay with this schedule 22-23.

I think there’s something to be said about student attendance though. Not sure that students care about Archie Miller as much as us. Generally they care about 2 things:

1) Winning. A team with a good record generates buzz. I will say this schedule could set up favorably for that. The average student isn’t looking at our NET to decide if our 10-2 record justifies their attendance. But they’d much rather show out for a 10-2 team over a 5-7 squad

2) Good opponents. The idea of playing a ranked team gets people to the gate. Nothing comparable
Interesting point with #2 in relation to students, Kingston. Heck, I follow cbb and Texas State wasn’t even on my radar before Ramster and others enlightened me today. Turns out they are a solid opponent and I had no idea. Hopefully, the students (and some fans) don’t do the same as me to potentially miss a good game. That would be unfortunate based on the evidence shared here.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Players don't progress quickly against weak opponents. I would have preferred that we accepted a buy game against a P5 team. It will be easier to distribute playing time. Pink hats will have a good time.
NCAAs or Bust!