Assistant Coach Opening in Men's Basketball

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Assistant Coach Opening in Men's Basketball

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
STC wrote: 3 years ago
Obviously, if URI makes a tournament run this year my preference would be to keep Cox longterm, but by not extending him Thorr has hardly created a doomsday scenario.
Thorr has arguably played this the best he can... There are obviously people who thought after 3 years they have seen enough, but it's rare for a coach to get canned after 3 seasons without large institutional failures. He's in the perfect spot after next season to make the difficult decision ... a shorter-term extension to help with recruiting without sacrificing a larger commitment, a longer-term extension if things feel more like he is the guy moving forward, or a termination.
I have zero issue with how Thorr has played the situation thus far. Thorr has handled this exactly how I would hope my AD would handle it.
Same here.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Changing subjects - whenever a new coach is hired, they usually have some connections that can be leveraged or a player they are close to that they can bring to the new team. We have a scholarship open. Has there been any indication they will be using that scholarship this year, or has the staff decided to roll that forward to 2022?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago Changing subjects - whenever a new coach is hired, they usually have some connections that can be leveraged or a player they are close to that they can bring to the new team. We have a scholarship open. Has there been any indication they will be using that scholarship this year, or has the staff decided to roll that forward to 2022?
At this point, I would hold it open unless they find a real difference maker. We don’t know how many openings there will be for next year.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
The answers are performance.
The cupboard is going to be bare when top talent will not commit to URI because of head coach uncertainty. If the reason for not extending Cox was performance and not $$$, then URI would have replaced Cox after this season or extended him with an easy to meet buy-out. The current approach assures another rebuilding project and an uninteresting vacancy for better coaching candidates.
NCAAs or Bust!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Maybe that was once the case but with the new transfer rule, I suspect a new coach could get up and running quicker than in the past.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RIFan wrote: 3 years ago Maybe that was once the case but with the new transfer rule, I suspect a new coach could get up and running quicker than in the past.
kinda sorta like what many thought was going to happen this past year? (me included)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago
The answers are performance.
The cupboard is going to be bare when top talent will not commit to URI because of head coach uncertainty. If the reason for not extending Cox was performance and not $$$, then URI would have replaced Cox after this season or extended him with an easy to meet buy-out. The current approach assures another rebuilding project and an uninteresting vacancy for better coaching candidates.
If performance/results were there these conversations would not be taking place.
Chicken meet egg.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIFan wrote: 3 years ago Maybe that was once the case but with the new transfer rule, I suspect a new coach could get up and running quicker than in the past.
Look no further than Rhody Women’s Team
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Interesting article about the life of an assistant coach, with an interesting Rhody mention.

https://www.flohoops.com/articles/70601 ... ll-coaches
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago Interesting article about the life of an assistant coach, with an interesting Rhody mention.

The mention pertains to declining an interview in Kingston because a coaching position at URI is just A job and not THE job.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago Interesting article about the life of an assistant coach, with an interesting Rhody mention.

The mention pertains to declining an interview in Kingston because a coaching position at URI is just A job and not THE job.
An assistant coaching position in the A10 is exactly that, a job. Nobody should be surprised with that statement.

Also, that was a couple years ago, not the position Bozeman now has.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I may of missed it, but John Carroll is not listed on the URI athletic website (gorhody) as a special assistant for 21-22.

Also, Ismael El-Amin is also not yet listed on the 21-22 roster, probably just an oversight.
He was officially introduced by Cox on the site, but maybe they are waiting for his paperwork.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think Rhody will have a better year this year. I hope Cox is much better, I don’t think Fatts has it or had it.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago I may of missed it, but John Carroll is not listed on the URI athletic website (gorhody) as a special assistant for 21-22.

Also, Ismael El-Amin is also not yet listed on the 21-22 roster, probably just an oversight.
He was officially introduced by Cox on the site, but maybe they are waiting for his paperwork.
I give Cox credit for making the 2 changes that needed to be made.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago I may of missed it, but John Carroll is not listed on the URI athletic website (gorhody) as a special assistant for 21-22.

Iggy,
are the changes replacing Kevin Sutton and John Carroll no longer assisting? Or is there another change you are referring to?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

That's what I was referring to.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

thanks.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I think I missed it- what did Bozeman do after his Morgan State firing?
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Does that mean we have an open assistant position? Were the Sutton and Carroll salaries pooled for Bozeman and we'll fill it with a lower salary guy?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

McRam wrote: 3 years ago I think I missed it- what did Bozeman do after his Morgan State firing?
Just a small clarification , he wasn’t fired. His contract ended and they didn’t renew it.
He didn’t do anything after leaving Morgan State. Sat out a year and then Covid hit.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RAMFAN wrote: 3 years ago

Does that mean we have an open assistant position? Were the Sutton and Carroll salaries pooled for Bozeman and we'll fill it with a lower salary guy?
No, there isn’t an open Assistant position. By NCAA rules you are allowed 3 assistant coaches.
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bo Bo wrote: 3 years ago No I'm not Todd Bozeman.
wild guess,

are you Alexis Bobo from the 82-83 team?
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
McRam wrote: 3 years ago I think I missed it- what did Bozeman do after his Morgan State firing?
Just a small clarification , he wasn’t fired. His contract ended and they didn’t renew it.
He didn’t do anything after leaving Morgan State. Sat out a year and then Covid hit.

Thanks.