2021 NCAA Tournament

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2021 NCAA Tournament

Unread post by ramster »

It was one of the best college basketball games I have ever watched

JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago My favorite player in the tournament so far is Jaquez of UCLA. I’ve seen most of both of their games. The guy is tough and makes winning plays: does a little bit of everything. He’s an ironman, too. He played all 45 minutes Thursday night and only sat for two minutes tonight.
You want a player like that on your team.
Said similar things about Jaquez after the BYU game. I don’t see him playing in the NBA, though. Not quick enough to play the 2 and not big enough to play the 3.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago It was one of the best college basketball games I have ever watched

The best game I’d ever seen in close to 50 years of watching college basketball was the Duke - Kentucky 1992 Elite Eight game. After last night, I have another game to rival it. I’m still not sure how I’d rank the two.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Just checking. Are we still the Gonzaga of the East?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 3 years ago Just checking. Are we still the Gonzaga of the East?
Still?, have we ever been? Not
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago My favorite player in the tournament so far is Jaquez of UCLA. I’ve seen most of both of their games. The guy is tough and makes winning plays: does a little bit of everything. He’s an ironman, too. He played all 45 minutes Thursday night and only sat for two minutes tonight.
You want a player like that on your team.
Said similar things about Jaquez after the BYU game. I don’t see him playing in the NBA, though. Not quick enough to play the 2 and not big enough to play the 3.
Yeah Jacquez is fun to watch and Juzang can score with the best of them , Riley and Tyger played well too and Cronin is a great coach

I was really impressed with Few reaction to the winning shot and going over to console Mick C what a class act
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Cameron_Dollar wrote: 3 years ago Just checking. Are we still the Gonzaga of the East?
........would have taken DH’s entire long career here to have gotten even close......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
........would have taken DH’s entire long career here to have gotten even close......
Don't think Jersey 77 was aware Dan said he wanted to make us the Gonzaga of the east.

Seems like the only way we were ever gonna be the Zags of the east is if Harrick stayed a while longer.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
section(105) wrote: 3 years ago

Don't think Jersey 77 was aware Dan said he wanted to make us the Gonzaga of the east.

Seems like the only way we were ever gonna be the Zags of the east is if Harrick stayed a while longer.
I think that is the hopes and wishful thinking of all higher level mid majors. :)
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yeah, mid major coaches like Mark at Gonzaga are Few and far between.

We need someone like Schmidt, who is not only a good coach, but who has stayed for a long time and will likely retire there.

No matter the bigger offers he gets to go elsewhere.

For us, Kraft would have stayed longer but his heart attack curtailed that. Al would likely have stayed......Would Penders have?

Not Gonzaga level, but for us, as good as it was likely to get.

Harrick and Hurley had bigger plans.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Yeah, mid major coaches like Mark at Gonzaga are Few and far between.

We need someone like Schmidt, who is not only a good coach, but who has stayed for a long time and will likely retire there.

For us, Kraft would have stayed longer but his heart attack curtailed that. Al would likely have stayed......Would Penders have?

Penders? We were paying him 50 grand a year. Texas offered him half a million.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......maybe Schmidt wants a sandwich or two, three, named after him in Olean......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Tonight:
1-seed South Carolina vs 1-seed Stanford (-6) 6pm ESPN
3-seed Arizona vs 1-seed UCONN (-13.5) 9pm ESPN

Stanford wins by 1 point over South Carolina

Heavily favored UCONN loses to Arizona 69-59 in a shocker.

UCONN loses for the 4th time in the last 4 NCAA Final 4’s

All PAC12 Final with Arizona vs Stanford
Stanford wins National Championship beating Arizona 54-53. Great game.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago UCLA was not afraid of Gonzaga. That being said that although I usually root for the underdog I could not root for a football school over a non-football school. (Unless said non football school is from the big east)
"Them's fightin' words"
-J. Wooden
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Yeah, mid major coaches like Mark at Gonzaga are Few and far between.

Penders? We were paying him 50 grand a year. Texas offered him half a million.
And cowboy boots.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

And a new Cadillac every time the new car smell wore off. Great guy and exceptional coach but the pressure to win got to him as well, forcing his staff to take some shortcuts and misuse funds. All in all a very good career.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago It was one of the best college basketball games I have ever watched

The best game I’d ever seen in close to 50 years of watching college basketball was the Duke - Kentucky 1992 Elite Eight game. After last night, I have another game to rival it. I’m still not sure how I’d rank the two.
I find it amazing that every player on the starting 5 of UCLA shot 50% FG or better in the Final Four and still lost. Not sure if that has ever happened before with not winning the game.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

According to Ace (and she's earned our trust in such matters) there were only a handful of jobs (3 if I recall) that DH would have left Rhody for, UConn being one of them. We'll never know what would have happened UConn stayed a perennial power under Ollie and wasn't looking for another coach. He certainly could have going to St. John's, Rutgers or Georgetown (as rumored) but chose to stay. How much of that was only rumors vs. him really wanting to at least see the EC/JG/SR/JT/AB class through, we'll also never know. But if not for UConn, he is probably at Rhody at least another season or two.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago

According to Ace (and she's earned our trust in such matters) there were only a handful of jobs (3 if I recall) that DH would have left Rhody for, UConn being one of them. We'll never know what would have happened UConn stayed a perennial power under Ollie and wasn't looking for another coach. He certainly could have going to St. John's, Rutgers or Georgetown (as rumored) but chose to stay. How much of that was only rumors vs. him really wanting to at least see the EC/JG/SR/JT/AB class through, we'll also never know. But if not for UConn, he is probably at Rhody at least another season or two.
Or longer if we invested in our program like he wanted us to.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

The slimy slithering snake talked a good game, but ultimately we were never going to be able to pay him enough. Sooner or later a Cartel school was going to throw enough football money at him to make him forget all those platitudes about "Gonzaga of the East." Screw him and all the Leg-humpers.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Pittsburgh was the only other school that exhibited interest at the time and made a strong financial offer. He was signed sealed and delivered to UCONN a week before Ollie was fired. Calhoun and Moore played the role of facilitators.
Ramball
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Ramball »

The decision to go to UConn was made before the season started. As soon as UConn “placed” Tom Moore on our coaching staff, the deal was done. The Connecticut contingent, including their Lt. Governor held a reception for Tom Moore at the Coast Guard House when was named a URI coach. Jim Calhoun actually came to Kingston and ran a practice for Dan in October. To Dan’s credit, he went on to have a successful final season for us even though he knew it was his last as a Ram coach.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ugh the slimy Tommy Moore !!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Timme:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

While I did think that Baylor was one of the few teams that could beat Gonzaga this year, I wasn't expecting the blowout out thus far. Gonzaga needs to chip away...maybe cut it to 10 by halftime.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago While I did think that Baylor was one of the few teams that could beat Gonzaga this year, I wasn't expecting the blowout out thus far. Gonzaga needs to chip away...maybe cut it to 10 by halftime.
They did! We still have a ball game!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Gonzaga seemed absolutely gassed the first 10 minutes or so, which isn't surprising considering the Final Four games both had. But hey, that's how the bracket breaks sometimes.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Baylor looks great what a well rounded team !!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Gonzaga can't hit a jumpshot.

That's the difference.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Baylor just has an unlimited amount of fuckin DUDES
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think the crappy conference Zags play in ultimately hurt them in the end , don’t get me wrong they are a great team definitely top 2 but I think Baylor proved they were the better team and would beat them most times out of 10
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......it looked like men vs the boys early on......I will also go for that the Zags were totally spent from their emotional win in semis.......their talent rolls over their conference foes, then they seem to eventually hit the wall of the major conferences.......no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He worked the A10 Tournament Game in Dayton before working the NCAA Tourney games in Indy

Imagine if he had been driving, or on a ladder or was where people were not around to help him.

Could be related to Covid but not sure

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

making the NCAA Tournament and then????

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago making the NCAA Tournament and then????

How did they not get a cent?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Maybe their conference keeps all the coin??????
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Maybe their conference keeps all the coin??????
Maybe he ignorant
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Maybe their conference keeps all the coin??????
Conferences decide how to distribute their NCAA units to members. Some conferences, particularly those that routinely send just one team (which typically loses its only game), may pay out EQUAL payouts to all their members. The America East may be such a conference.