2021-22 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Re: 2021-22 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by Rhody72 »

This schedule doesn't fall to the level of Baron schedules. Why are posters trying to tear down our program?
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

Well yeah of course I would enjoy seeing us playing a higher level of competition, but that isn't always possible.

Remember part of Thorr's responsibilities as AC is coordinating game scheduling with the HC.

Padding your schedule isn't necessarily a benefit in saving your job

Also last year we jumped at the opportunity of playing Wisconsin on the road a top B10 team, not exactly a cakewalk.
Based on the schedule, a 20 win season won't mean much this year. This is a Baron schedule. The OOC won't tell us much about this team at all.
We can learn much about this team regardless who we are playing.

Tulsa won't be easy, they finished 1st in the AAC 19-20, all post season cancelled.
Jeriah Horne is a player at forward, watched him many times. They do have some size and a balanced attack.

I know PC is a dirty word but that will be a very tough game.

Our A10 schedule still won't be a walk in the park: Dayton, Davidson, and UMass all twice will be challenging.

Let's see what games fill in the final 2 spots.
Amazing we have to learn about this team playing Tulsa in year 4 of a new coach. I've learned enough. I'll stay quiet. But, I'm Missouri this year.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago I mean, it takes two to tango. I would guess Cox had reached out to many tournament level teams.

We’re not expected to be good this year, so I can’t see many P6 teams / top mid majors wanting to play us. We’d be a bad loss, and not a good win.
I'm guessing/hoping this is more the case - that they couldn't get anyone good to play them.
Although, they may not have tried that hard either...knowing that everyone already figures they won't be very good.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jersey, you left out Tulsa's record from last year, which was 11-12. I think that's more predictive than what they finished in 2019-20.

I don't think this is an especially strong schedule, but I don't think it's as weak as some of the Baron year schedules either. I think if they keep the losses low - two or three - and have at least two quality wins, that's normal kind of positioning going into the A-10 schedule. I don't like their chances of doing that - I think their offensive is going to be inconsistent and they'll be closer to .500 OOC - but I don't think it's a schedule that prevents them from getting an at-large berth. (... I don't know if I could have used "don't" more in the previous paragraph, blah.)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 doesn’t count the Covid year, he gives it a pass.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Getting into a stronger tournament would have made such a difference.

It will be interesting to see how the Ivy League teams do this season after a year off.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Jersey77 doesn’t count the Covid year, he gives it a pass.
You got it. :D

Seriously though, I don't think an NCAAT bid is in the cards for us this year anyway, regardless of our strength of schedule.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Jersey77 doesn’t count the Covid year, he gives it a pass.
You got it. :D
See, I do read what you write :) :)
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

The negativity from some is laughable. The constant criticism of Cox is lame. We get it...he's terrible and the team is going to suck...blah blah blah. The offseason is long and this monotony is painful. Bottom line, any real fan knows that everything is on the line this upcoming season for Cox and it's a big one for the direction of the program. Tough schedule or not, it always seems to comes down to the A10 anyway. This team should be able to compete for an A10 tournament bye. Let the season begin...PLEASE!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago I will go to every home game no matter who we play

I will drive to every game within 200 miles of the Ryan Center no matter who we play except the pc game ( I refuse to pay them money and sit in their venue)

I plan on flying to several games this season

I feel that scheduling is very difficult for Triple A and Double A teams like us

I am not looking to be entertained by our team

I am looking to support our players

Rant over
"I am not looking to be entertained by our team"

No fucking words for that type of attitude. That's not productive fandom, no matter how many likes your comment got
A person with less ego than me might have been offended by this response to my post.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I will drive to every game within 200 miles of the Ryan Center no matter who we play except the pc game ( I refuse to pay them money and sit in their venue)

I feel that scheduling is very difficult for Triple A and Double A teams like us

Rant over

No fucking words for that type of attitude. That's not productive fandom, no matter how many likes your comment got
We're back at Baronball. That comment and the subsequent likes proves it. Amazing how fast the majority of this fanbase reverts back to "we are a small school, lucky to have a basketball program. We try hard, but they wear our colors! Yippee, we're just happy to have something to go to a few times during the winter and whatever happens is fine! Who wants to win anyway? We have a team!"

It's as pathetic as it is disappointing. Hurley demanded excellence in every aspect of the program - from the fans to the band to the arena to the marketing - everything needed to be at a championship level, including the fan's expectations.

But now it's obvious we're back to the Baron-apologist era where we should just be happy to have a team. It's pathetic.

Yes, I'll still be in the stands. I'll still donate. I'll still cheer. But to go in with an expectation to not be entertained and just support the team no matter how poor they play? That's pathetic. That's not being a fan. Expect more of this team than just to wear your school colors. Demand more from them. It's demeaning and does a disservice to anyone on that team to expect nothing from them.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

With hundreds and hundreds of transfers, it's hard to judge the strength of a schedule based on last year's records.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

The OOC is incredibly soft -

vs Boston University (Q4)
vs Bryant (Q3)
vs Boston College (Q4)
vs. Tulsa (Q3)
vs. Boston College or Utah (Q4) or (Q2)
at Florida Gulf Coast (Q4)
at Harvard (Q2)
at Providence (Q2)
vs Sacred Heart (Q4)
vs College of Charleston (Q4)
vs Brown (Q4)

More than likely zero Q1 games in the OOC. PC could sneak in as one, but that's it. SIX Q4 games. 2 Q3. 3 Q2.

That is not how you build an at-large resume. Landmines all over the place and nothing to hang your hat on. I think the minimum if you want to believe this team can pull it together and make a run is an 8-3 record. MINIMUM. Realistically you need to probably go 9-2 and beat PC, while hoping PC is top 75 and a Q1. Lose one of the 6 Q4 games and you can pack it up until March where they'll play meaningful basketball again.

Pretty much this schedule should tell you the regular season is meaningless and we need to win the A-10 tournament to have a chance.

Looks like you'll have a shot at 3 Q1 chances in conference (@VCU, @Bonnies, @Dayton), maybe a chance for a 4th or 5th if Richmond or St Louis comes in to Kingston top 25.

But again, this is a schedule set up to pad wins and hope the team gets some confidence to make moves in conference.

Brooklyn or bust. For Cox's job and my sanity.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago The OOC is incredibly soft -

vs Bryant (Q3)
vs Boston College (Q4)
vs. Tulsa (Q3)
at Harvard (Q2)
at Providence (Q2)
vs Sacred Heart (Q4)
vs Brown (Q4)

More than likely zero Q1 games in the OOC. PC could sneak in as one, but that's it. SIX Q4 games. 2 Q3. 3 Q2.

That is not how you build an at-large resume. Landmines all over the place and nothing to hang your hat on. I think the minimum if you want to believe this team can pull it together and make a run is an 8-3 record. MINIMUM. Realistically you need to probably go 9-2 and beat PC, while hoping PC is top 75 and a Q1. Lose one of the 6 Q4 games and you can pack it up until March where they'll play meaningful basketball again.

Pretty much this schedule should tell you the regular season is meaningless and we need to win the A-10 tournament to have a chance.

Looks like you'll have a shot at 3 Q1 chances in conference (@VCU, @Bonnies, @Dayton), maybe a chance for a 4th or 5th if Richmond or St Louis comes in to Kingston top 25.

But again, this is a schedule set up to pad wins and hope the team gets some confidence to make moves in conference.

It’s pretty simple if you think about it.

When we were good / expected to be good, we had better OOC opponents because teams viewed us as a good win and not a bad lose. We were also invited to better MTE tournaments because we were expected to compete for the tournament.

And this year, we are not even close to a tournament caliber team, so the MTE tourney and OOC opponents are bound to be worse than previous years. P6 teams gain nothing playing us this year, when in the past they would gain a nice Q1/Q2 win against us.

Obviously we all wish we had a better schedule and team, but it shouldn’t come as a surprise the schedule is what it is.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Previously, Cox has shown a willingness to be the “bought team” in a buy game. That’s not the case with this schedule. I wonder if that’s a change in approach or just how it worked out this season.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

vs Bryant (Q3)
vs Boston College (Q4)
vs. Tulsa (Q3)
at Harvard (Q2)
at Providence (Q2)
vs Sacred Heart (Q4)
vs Brown (Q4)

It’s pretty simple if you think about.

When we were good / expected to be good, we had better OOC opponents because teams viewed us as a good win and not a bad lose. We were also invited to better MTE tournaments because we were expected to compete for the tournament.

And this year, we are not even close to a tournament caliber team, so the MTE tourney and OOC opponents are bound to be worse than previous years. P6 teams gain nothing playing us this year, when in the past they would gain a nice Q1/Q2 win against us.

Obviously we all wish we had a better schedule and team, but it shouldn’t come tad a surprise the schedule is what it is.
Spot on. Like it or not this is the actual reason for the schedule. Sure you can blame last years disaapointment or something else on how we ended up in this place, but it now is what it is. You beat all these OOC opponents that you should be beating and there won’t be any problems. If you’re losing to BU, Sacred Heart or Brown - chances are you weren’t beating a top 25 team if they had been there instead
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

vs Bryant (Q3)
vs Boston College (Q4)
vs. Tulsa (Q3)
at Harvard (Q2)
at Providence (Q2)
vs Sacred Heart (Q4)
vs Brown (Q4)

Obviously we all wish we had a better schedule and team, but it shouldn’t come tad a surprise the schedule is what it is.
Spot on. Like it or not this is the actual reason for the schedule. Sure you can blame last years disaapointment or something else on how we ended up in this place, but it now is what it is. You beat all these OOC opponents that you should be beating and there won’t be any problems. If you’re losing to BU, Sacred Heart or Brown - chances are you weren’t beating a top 25 team if they had been there instead
Agreed. That's why it's implied with the sentence "But again, this is a schedule set up to pad wins and hope the team gets some confidence to make moves in conference."

The larger point I'm making is that I don't believe the schedule/regular season matters as much to keeping Cox in the coach's chair as much as March does.

Go 11-0 in the OOC and collapse down the stretch and miss the NCAA? I think he's out.

For the casual fan this schedule sucks and won't do anything to help the attendance numbers in a non-PC year, but it does give the team a chance to play together with a lot of easy games and maybe create some magic for a March run.

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm just looking forward to the first post about Cox not taking a timeout when the opposing team goes on a run, and then takes a timeout immediately after our first basket to end the run.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Rant over

We're back at Baronball. That comment and the subsequent likes proves it. Amazing how fast the majority of this fanbase reverts back to "we are a small school, lucky to have a basketball program. We try hard, but they wear our colors! Yippee, we're just happy to have something to go to a few times during the winter and whatever happens is fine! Who wants to win anyway? We have a team!"

It's as pathetic as it is disappointing. Hurley demanded excellence in every aspect of the program - from the fans to the band to the arena to the marketing - everything needed to be at a championship level, including the fan's expectations.

But now it's obvious we're back to the Baron-apologist era where we should just be happy to have a team. It's pathetic.

Yes, I'll still be in the stands. I'll still donate. I'll still cheer. But to go in with an expectation to not be entertained and just support the team no matter how poor they play? That's pathetic. That's not being a fan. Expect more of this team than just to wear your school colors. Demand more from them. It's demeaning and does a disservice to anyone on that team to expect nothing from them.
BlueMan, I feel most of the fans aren't satisfied with mediocrity and want us to contend.

Hurley is gone, so stop with the comparisons. I also remember all the criticism about him during his first 4 years.

Do you think Cox isn't demanding?

I feel this team has much potential and to compare us at this time to the Baron era is extremely unfair.

The fans have no control over the schedule, we just need to avoid the bad loses, be competitive, get some unexpected wins, and then see how it plays out in the end. As I said before I don't expect an NCAAT bid this season, just a dramatic improvement.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Dude, you have to knock it off. You are just burying yourself. Why was there a Baron2.0 thread about Hurley? Cause he hadn't taken us to the NCAAT at that point. Cox, if things don't turn on a dime this year, will have his own thread for sure.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

Agreed. That's why it's implied with the sentence "But again, this is a schedule set up to pad wins and hope the team gets some confidence to make moves in conference."

The larger point I'm making is that I don't believe the schedule/regular season matters as much to keeping Cox in the coach's chair as much as March does.

Go 11-0 in the OOC and collapse down the stretch and miss the NCAA? I think he's out.

For the casual fan this schedule sucks and won't do anything to help the attendance numbers in a non-PC year, but it does give the team a chance to play together with a lot of easy games and maybe create some magic for a March run.
Yup it’s tough there’s no perfect balance. Not a good schedule for attendance by any means, but most of these guys are new-ish faces who suffered setback after setback and painful loss after painful loss last year. Likely a positive for them to rack up some wins and feel good about their chemistry and abilities. After typing that it sounds like a very 2021 type of participation trophy answer, but it circles back to your point, where I think how successful Cox/the team is this year will be more reliant on our conference play anyways. Plenty of good teams to benchmark ourselves too in the A10
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

► Show Spoiler
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Dude, you have to knock it off. You are just burying yourself. Why was there a Baron2.0 thread about Hurley? Cause he hadn't taken us to the NCAAT at that point. Cox, if things don't turn on a dime this year, will have his own thread for sure.
I was a Hurley fan and loved the hire, not just because of being from Jersey.
When many were criticizing his sideline antics/outbursts and offensive schemes or lack of, I was defending him and saw the potential.

At this time I don't know if this staff will be successful, but overall I like the roster that he put together, along with bringing in Bozeman.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Hurley grew fast and the record improved every year. We were 10-15 last year. The hype is gone. The schedule is gone. The enthusiasm is gone. Like I said I'm Missouri this year. The deficiencies were glaring last year. We will know in the first three games how this season will go. Maybe Bozeman helps? Who knows.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Hurley grew fast and the record improved every year. We were 10-15 last year. The hype is gone. The schedule is gone. The enthusiasm is gone. Like I said I'm Missouri this year. The deficiencies were glaring last year. We will know in the first three games how this season will go. Maybe Bozeman helps? Who knows.
I always believed in the program's growth under Hurley, but get the facts correct:
2014-2015: We were 23-10
2015- 2016: We were 17-15

And you don't believe the "Covid" year had anything to do with the hype or enthusiasm, considering there were empty arenas and people had more to worry about than basketball?
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

While those records are fact, the 2015-16 regression came as a direct result of EC tearing his ACL in the first half of the first game. Prior to that occurring, I remember that URI team being viewed as potentially a year ahead of schedule following their 23-10 2014-15 campaign.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 2 years ago While those records are fact, the 2015-16 regression came as a direct result of EC tearing his ACL in the first half of the first game. Prior to that occurring, I remember that URI team being viewed as potentially a year ahead of schedule following their 23-10 2014-15 campaign.
We all understand the circumstance, I was just correcting the statement.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

16 team tournament teams set for next November 2022.
UCONN will be participating along with Villanova and Xavier from the BE.

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

And you don't believe the "Covid" year had anything to do with the hype or enthusiasm, considering there were empty arenas and people had more to worry about than basketball?
That was a misdirection, no?

Enthusiasm has more to do with program trajectory and excitement.

The results of last season in front of a crowd full of people would yield the same levels of fan enthusiasm for next season.

Interesting as it’s a problem that’s impacting both major programs in this state.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago

The results of last season in front of a crowd full of people would yield the same levels of fan enthusiasm for next season.

Interesting as it’s a problem that’s impacting both major programs in this state.
Of course when a team struggles, the excitement isn't the same.

The whole Covid situation and all the problems it created, just intensified the apathy surrounding our program last season.

Besides just ask Ramster about my feelings regarding 20-21.

So do you think like others on this board that our program is hopeless at this point and a change in staff is needed (the sooner the better)?
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The whole Covid situation and all the problems it created, just intensified the apathy surrounding our program last season.

So do you think like others on this board that our program is hopeless at this point and a change in staff is needed (the sooner the better)?
As a completely impartial person, given where URI was when Cox took over, he should have one more season. After the season you have to extend him or fire him. You’d be setting him up to fail and be setting the program up for future failure because it would likely be a lost season (at least recruiting both 4-year players and transfers).

I don’t know where that line is. For me it’s about the feeling of hope. If you things improved during the season and there is momentum for future seasons, give the extension. If the team flops, you have to move on.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The only problems created for URI last year was we had a stellar schedule with some great teams that fell in our lap. URI laid an egg.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The only problems created for URI last year was we had a stellar schedule with some great teams that fell in our lap. URI layed an egg.
So tell me Blueram what is your immediate solution, since you feel this program is doomed with Cox in charge?

It is obvious (from all your posts) you wish we should of moved on from Cox this season and start a total rebuild of our roster, would that be your remedy or start of one?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The only problems created for URI last year was we had a stellar schedule with some great teams that fell in our lap. URI layed an egg.
So tell me Blueram what is your immediate solution, since you feel this program is doomed with Cox in charge?

It is obvious (from all your posts) you wish we should of moved on from Cox this season and start a total rebuild of our roster, would that be your remedy or start of one?
After the shitshow last year? I think we should move on. And a "rebuild" of our roster? We have a team of transfers. Since transfers can play day 1, a new coach has a chance to get a team of transfers that can play immediately. I think I have seen enough. Maybe I'm proven wrong, and I will gladly eat crow all year long. Since my hope is the team makes the NCAAT every year. But with our schedule, the only way we make it is go undefeated or win the A10 Tournament.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

After the shitshow last year? I think we should move on. And a "rebuild" of our roster? We have a team of transfers. Since transfers can play day 1, a new coach has a chance to get a team of transfers that can play immediately. I think I have seen enough. Maybe I'm proven wrong, and I will gladly eat crow all year long. Since my hope is the team makes the NCAAT every year. But with our schedule, the only way we make it is go undefeated or win the A10 Tournament.
Okay, I actually think we have a talented roster and I am optimistic with the twins and our young guards, I like our foundation.

So I think the future with this group is bright and am looking forward to the next couple of years, if things stay intact.

As for last season, I don't believe that was a true indication of how we are trending, and I moved on from it.

Once we start winning, the schedule will work itself out down the road.

I can be wrong and it can all go to hell this season, but I don't think so. IMO
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Okay, I actually think we have a talented roster and I am optimistic with the twins and our young guards, I like our foundation.

So I think the future with this group is bright and am looking forward to the next couple of years, if things stay intact.

As for last season, I don't believe that was a true indication of how we are trending, and I moved on from it.
So...what IS the true indication? And, more importantly, 'why' wasn't what we saw a true indication? And why will it be different this year?
Do tell...please. I mean, I have season tix, so I'm going anyway, but would like to have a reason for optimism...
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

So...what IS the true indication? And, more importantly, 'why' wasn't what we saw a true indication? And why will it be different this year?
Do tell...please. I mean, I have season tix, so I'm going anyway, but would like to have a reason for optimism...
I guess we will find out this season , hopefully under normal conditions.

I think there is enough talent on our roster to be somewhat optimistic. We have a good balance between youth and veteran leadership.
Maybe all the new faces that were brought in last "Covid" year will come together as a team this season
Also our combination of speed and size should match up well against most of our competition.
Another year of experience should only help our staff's growth and I think we all can agree that Bozeman is an upgrade.
Look as I said before, I doubt this is the year we make the NCAAT, but there should be a dramatic improvement.

I may be wrong and all can go down the tubes this year, but I am not feeling that.

IMO
theblueram
Frank Keaney

As many have said, going 5-0 against Sacred Heart isn't an improvement so I hope you aren't just focused on wins this year.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago As many have said, going 5-0 against Sacred Heart isn't an improvement so I hope you aren't just focused on wins this year.
It's all about "trending"...maybe bad seasons are not part of the trend, and the trend hasn't started yet?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We shall see NYG. But at least we have the pub for beers!!!!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago As many have said, going 5-0 against Sacred Heart isn't an improvement so I hope you aren't just focused on wins this year.
It's all about "trending"...maybe bad seasons are not part of the trend, and the trend hasn't started yet?
I don't consider last season typical especially for a relatively green staff.

You asked for my opinion and I gave it.

Aside from all the "Covid" distractions and very limited practice time with all the new players, there were also injury issues.
Makhi missed almost the entire season
Fatts our best player was fighting through injuries all year which limited his effectiveness.
JH our backup center was playing with a bad foot, although not sure how much of an impact he would of been.

Our success will depend on how well our players develop this year.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Aside from all the "Covid" distractions and very limited practice time with all the new players, there were also injury issues.
Fatts our best player was fighting through injuries all year which limited his effectiveness.
JH our backup center was playing with a bad foot, although not sure how much of an impact he would of been.

Green staff? Are you kidding me? Let's see the shit show Scheyer gets if Duke goes to the bottom of the league. Cox was top assistant for years on a team that went back to back NCAAT. He doesn't even look like a head coach.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Green staff? Are you kidding me? Let's see the shit show Scheyer gets if Duke goes to the bottom of the league. Cox was top assistant for years on a team that went back to back NCAAT. He doesn't even look like a head coach.
I am serious as far as being a HC in charge of a program.

URI/Duke comparisons really?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Assistant coach taking over a program with success. All I'm saying.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I am not ready to make the judgement call on Cox yet.

As far as assistants taking over the top spot this year you can add:
Adams for Beard at TT
Valentine for Moser at Loyola/Chicago
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Duke and URI, and learning under Coach K and Dan Hurley, is a tad different I’d say…

Not even in the same stratosphere of success.
Go Rhody
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Jersey, you left out Tulsa's record from last year, which was 11-12. I think that's more predictive than what they finished in 2019-20.

I don't think this is an especially strong schedule, but I don't think it's as weak as some of the Baron year schedules either. I think if they keep the losses low - two or three - and have at least two quality wins, that's normal kind of positioning going into the A-10 schedule. I don't like their chances of doing that - I think their offensive is going to be inconsistent and they'll be closer to .500 OOC - but I don't think it's a schedule that prevents them from getting an at-large berth. (... I don't know if I could have used "don't" more in the previous paragraph, blah.)
Agree, I do not think the schedule is as bad as some are making it out to be, and I am very demanding and uncompromising regarding scheduling.

6 potentially good games, that is not terrible.

vs Boston College
vs. Tulsa
vs. Boston College or Utah
at Harvard
at Providence
vs College of Charleston
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago Jersey, you left out Tulsa's record from last year, which was 11-12. I think that's more predictive than what they finished in 2019-20.

Agree, I do not think the schedule is as bad as some are making it out to be, and I am very demanding and uncompromising regarding scheduling.

vs Boston College
vs. Tulsa
at Harvard
at Providence
vs College of Charleston
Boston College is a good game?. They should be at the bottom of the ACC again.

I think we have three chances of Q2 wins. @PC, @Harvard, Utah..
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
daytonflyerfan wrote: 2 years ago

vs Boston College
vs. Tulsa
at Harvard
at Providence
vs College of Charleston

Pretty weak schedule to say the least. Outside of PC there are no games that get people excited. URI is a middle of the pack A-10 team so it is probably matched up to their talent level.
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

So far this schedule clearly states that Rhody is not considered a contender for the tourney by other teams. Still there are what two open games left? Maybe they can finagle in a few good games…not that either would be at the RC. The RC schedule stinks period the end. Not good for a fourth year coach.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

Who knows what will happen? You can not just look at last year, that is nonsense.

Realistic possibility:

Q1: at PC, at Harvard, vs. Utah
Q2: vs. Tulsa
Q2 maybe an outside chance: Charleston, BC