Week #16 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #16 - Games of Interest

Unread post by theblueram »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Has a A10 Team ever gone undefeated in Conference Play?

Duquesne 39 Dayton 37 Halftime at Dayton
Temple went 18-0 in 1988. Not sure about anyone since. Maybe St. Joe’s in 2004? I know Xavier beat them but I think that was in the A10 tourney. GW in 2007 or so was flirting with it. Maybe UMass?
Joes and GW both went undefeated
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

Yup, Georgetown looked awful this week against them, Marquette has Howard then a bunch of crumbs.
Marquette was awful. Couldn’t get out of their own way. Would love to see them in the tournament. Our defense would stifle them.
And it also looks like you survived the game unscathed?

Actually the exact opposite reaction. People were saying good luck in the tournament. But we were in the high priced season ticket seats.
Last edited by LoveThoseRams 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The Big East is the most balanced league, with a very high floor moreso than any other league. But it is not the best league, and 2-3 leagues at least have higher ceilings at the top of their standings. PC played inarguably their best game today, and have played very well over the last 4-6 weeks, but that doesn't erase 4-6 weeks where they played like trash.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......my eyeballs tell me PC solidly in mix for dance, Marquette looks like one man show Howard for bunches of power nuts, the others not so much, they did not to me lol like a %19th ranked team......in and out of Dump with no problems......and btw their band is five stars, right in front of me......
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

Marquette was awful. Couldn’t get out of their own way. Would love to see them in the tournament. Our defense would stifle them.
And it also looks like you survived the game unscathed?

Actually the exact opposite reaction. People were saying good luck in the tournament. But we were in the high priced season ticket seats.
That will do it. Glad to hear!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Toppin with an alley oop backwards dunk. Kid is amazing.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago The Big East is the most balanced league, with a very high floor moreso than any other league. But it is not the best league, and 2-3 leagues at least have higher ceilings at the top of their standings. PC played inarguably their best game today, and have played very well over the last 4-6 weeks, but that doesn't erase 4-6 weeks where they played like trash.
You are what you are The Big East other then PC won big games in the non conference and that is why they are ranked number one. Really the only reason PC is still alive.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

woodennickel1 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago The Big East is the most balanced league, with a very high floor moreso than any other league. But it is not the best league, and 2-3 leagues at least have higher ceilings at the top of their standings. PC played inarguably their best game today, and have played very well over the last 4-6 weeks, but that doesn't erase 4-6 weeks where they played like trash.
You are what you are The Big East other then PC won big games in the non conference and that is why they are ranked number one. Really the only reason PC is still alive.
Seton Hall beat Maryland and no one else ooc of importance.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......my eyeballs tell me PC solidly in mix for dance, Marquette looks like one man show Howard for bunches of power nuts, the others not so much, they did not to me lol like a %19th ranked team......in and out of Dump with no problems......and btw their band is five stars, right in front of me......
Hope you showered with bleach and a wire brush as soon as you got home
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......my eyeballs tell me PC solidly in mix for dance, Marquette looks like one man show Howard for bunches of power nuts, the others not so much, they did not to me lol like a %19th ranked team......in and out of Dump with no problems......and btw their band is five stars, right in front of me......
Hope you showered with bleach and a wire brush as soon as you got home
of course. Marquette's best win might be Purdue which isn't making the NCAAT. So there you have it.
woodennickel1
ARD

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
woodennickel1 wrote: 4 years ago

Seton Hall beat Maryland and no one else ooc of importance.
DePaul won at Iowa against texas tech . St John's won at Arizona and against West Virginia . That is what I was talking about
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I know it’s only one opinion, but Lunardi this week, talking about PCs chances, said the committee weighs good wins more than bad losses.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

sdsu down 10 at home to unlv...under 12:00

and Walton in Tucson, nice...not a fan of the zona unis tho
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago sdsu down 10 at home to unlv...under 12:00

and Walton in Tucson, nice...not a fan of the zona unis tho

go rebs...that will mean an even higher ranked dayton team visiting the RC in a week and a half.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

sdsu goes down...cue the "it's better to lose one than go undefeated" music :lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UNLV beats SDSU
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If #23 BYU beats #2 Gonzaga tonight at BYU then Dayton will be ranked #2 on Monday
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It's looking like Number 2 Dayton right now...
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Lol gotta love college ball, UNLV not going anywhere this year but they can ruin a perfect season.
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No Sunday games in the A-10:

In games involving URI OOC opponents :

Canisius at Manhattan, 2 PM. On ESPN3.

#7 Maryland at #25 Ohio State, 4 PM. On CBS.

Long Island U. at St Francis (PA), 4 PM.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Lol gotta love college ball, UNLV not going anywhere this year but they can ruin a perfect season.
Made me feel less bad about losing to Davidson.
That and Gonzaga losing to BYU.

Teams just play bad sometimes.

God I mean, if Fatts made like 2 or 3 more shots we would have been fine...
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Really if one or two more shots are made we are fine. Then again if my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Not sure who we want in Wich State vs. Cincy. Both on the bubble.

Which st is a 10 on lunardis bracket and Cincinnati in first four out so go shockers
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

#21 Butler, who didn't beat a projected NCAAT team ooc getting destroyed by 35. BIAS.
woodennickel1
ARD

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago #21 Butler, who didn't beat a projected NCAAT team ooc getting destroyed by 35. BIAS.
Huh ? They beat Minnesota, Florida , Ole Miss. Purdue and lost by 1 at Baylor. Seems like a pretty good non conference schedule to me. Also Stanford , don't know what their strength of schedule but that is a dam good ooc schedule.

Just checked sos is 25 or sure if you were looking at right team.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

When did Ole Miss get to be a projected NCAAT team. I must have missed that. Their NET is below that of North Texas.
woodennickel1
ARD

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago When did Ole Miss get to be a projected NCAAT team. I must have missed that. Their NET is below that of North Texas.
My bad I always get Ole Miss and Miss State mixed irregardless a pretty good schedule at that.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago When did Ole Miss get to be a projected NCAAT team. I must have missed that. Their NET is below that of North Texas.
Regardless, Butler played:

@ #1 Baylor - L by 1
N #31 Stanford - W by 1
H #33 Florida - W by 14
N #36 Purdue - W by 9
H #42 Minnesota - W by 8
N #89 Missouri - W by 11
@ #94 Ole Miss - W by 9

Q1 - 2-1; Q2 - 4-0

If you don't think that is a pretty good OOC slate, I don't know what to tell you. It's also not Butler's fault that they schedule Florida and Purdue who were both thought of to be Top 25 teams in addition to Baylor.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The NET computer metrics and NCAA selection system is rigged for teams in just 5-6 conferences. It gets worse each year. No transparency and rules seems to be arbitrarily applied in order to maximize more high profile conference teams. All the power conference teams need to do is get a lot of opportunities against one another. They are further marginalizing teams with longer league schedules and inter-conference challenges (amongst only themselves). The days of teams from lower level leagues getting a fair shake are long gone. The system is broke.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Who is not getting a fair shake? What team deserves to be higher in the NET that's not?

Ramster made a great observation last week (can't believe I just said that). When is the last time 3 "mid-majors" were in the Top 5? Not just that, but they were all in the Top 5 of the NET.

The committee for the better part of the last decade has been rewarding teams that play difficult schedules and beat good/great teams. This is not some new concept created by the NET. If a team goes 32-0 but plays teams ranked 321-353, what does their record mean? In a sport with so many teams, teams cannot simply be judged by total wins and losses, but by quality of those wins and quality of those losses.

It is not the fault of the teams in good or great conferences that there are conferences out there that have 4-6 really bad teams that hold down the rest of the conference. Of course that's why P5+BE want to "challenge" each other. Is it the Big East's fault that their worst team, DePaul, had wins at Iowa and Minnesota, with a home win against Texas Tech, 3 Q1 wins in total during their OOC?

It's called, "Get Creative." Credit to Conference USA for coming up with a great plan to reward it's top 5 teams. Why hasn't anyone else adopted? Is it because they are too busy crying about the inequity?

Before blaming everyone else, take care of you own house. The fact that the A10 has averaged 9 teams with a ranking over 100 per season for the last 5 years is no one's fault but their own. You just can't cry about disrespect when the bottom half (or more in some years) of your conference creates cupcake lane for the better teams.

It's the same cryfest every year...
"___ barely ever plays true road games during OOC. It's not fair."
"Well how many Q1 or Q2 road games did they play during conference?"
"9, but you are missing the point, they didn't play the little guys and it's not fair."
"So they played 1 true Q1 roadgame during the OOC, played 2 other Q1/Q2 games on a neutral court, and played 9 Q1/Q2 games on the road during conference play, plus probably another 2-3 on a neutral court during the conference tournament, but they should be penalized and forced to play more road games against teams like you?"
"Exactly. We deserve our chances too. I don't care that they play 12 Q1/Q2 games away from home and more in the conference tournament, it's just not fair."
"Well how many Q1/Q2 games did you play on the road during conference play?"
"4, but you are missing the point?"
"So they play 9 Q1/Q2 games on the road during conference play, and you play 4, and you are saying they should come play games at your house because you always have to play there, even though they go on the road and play 2x+ the Q1/Q2 opponents during conference play?"
"Exactly!!! Now you get it!"
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago The NET computer metrics and NCAA selection system is rigged for teams in just 5-6 conferences. It gets worse each year. No transparency and rules seems to be arbitrarily applied in order to maximize more high profile conference teams. All the power conference teams need to do is get a lot of opportunities against one another. They are further marginalizing teams with longer league schedules and inter-conference challenges (amongst only themselves). The days of teams from lower level leagues getting a fair shake are long gone. The system is broke.
The first sentence is just 100% false.

Dayton, SDSU, and Gonzaga are currently 3rd - 5th in NET are not in those 5-6 conferences you are referring to.

Case closed.
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago The NET computer metrics and NCAA selection system is rigged for teams in just 5-6 conferences. It gets worse each year. No transparency and rules seems to be arbitrarily applied in order to maximize more high profile conference teams. All the power conference teams need to do is get a lot of opportunities against one another. They are further marginalizing teams with longer league schedules and inter-conference challenges (amongst only themselves). The days of teams from lower level leagues getting a fair shake are long gone. The system is broke.

Dayton, SDSU, and Gonzaga are currently 3rd - 5th in NET are not in those 5-6 conferences you are referring to.

Case closed.
In addition, speaking on the transparency complaint, the NCAA is partnering with Google on the formula. It is tweaked through analytics done by Google's AI platform. Machine learning is very fluid so the formula changes as data shows weaknesses.

My point is that it's impossible to publicize the formula because it will inevitably be tweaked and cause confusion amongst people trying to recreate the rankings.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Case closed.

Your selective reasoning is just 100% problematic.

The three teams you list are only there because they have a combined five losses. Do you think they would be anywhere in the top 10 if any one of them had eight losses like #8 NET Arizona?

The only way that teams from leagues outside the P5 and BE can get good NET rankings is if they have almost no losses. That rule doesn't however apply to P5 and BE teams. Several (9) teams from these leagues are in the top 50 while having double digit losses. Purdue at 14-14 is #36, Alabama at 15-12 is #40, Minnesota at 13-13 is #42, PC at 16-12 is #48. It is abundantly clear that wins and losses do not necessarily mean a lot. It seems to be much more about who you play. Teams in the P5 and BE have some 20+ games against one another and can have many losses, including SEVERAL that would be deemed bad. All they have to do is get several wins against conference mates with half these games on their home court. This is not all that hard given given all the opportunities thrown at them. Teams from leagues outside the P5 and BE do not have that luxury. They do not have the opportunity for anywhere near as many "quality" wins in their league. They are increasingly having more difficulty even scheduling teams from the P5 and BE in the OOC and if they do, the games are typically not on their home floors.

The NCAA is as Red says a CARTEL. It is a rigged system to guarantee a caste system of a few select HAVES and whole lot of HAVE NOTS.

CASE CLOSED.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

That's a loser's mentality and here is why.

People complain all that time about the Big East and how overrated it is and how they can't understand it.

Here's some math for you ...

The three worst Big East teams in conference play are, in order, DePaul, St. John's, and Georgetown.

During the OOC, DePaul was 3-0 in Q1 games. St. John's was 2-1 in Q1 games. Georgetown was 1-2 in Q1 games. Combined 6-3 in Q1 games.

Starting with the best A10 teams, how many teams do you think it took to get to 6 Q1 wins in the OOC?

Dayton - 1-2 Q1 games. 1 Q1 win.
URI - 0-3 in Q1 games. 1 Q1 win.
St. Bonaventure - 1-0 in Q1 games. 2 Q1 wins.
Richmond - 1-2 in Q1 games. 3 Q1 wins.
Davidson - 0-2 in Q1 games. 3 Q1 wins.
Duquesne - 0-0 in Q1 games. 3 Q1 wins.
St. Louis - 0-2 in Q1 games. 3 Q1 wins.
VCU - 1-2 in Q1 games. 4 Q1 wins.
UMASS - 0-2 in Q1 games. 4 Q1 wins.
George Washington - 0-1 in Q1 games. 4 Q1 wins.
George Mason - 0-1 in Q1 games. 4 Q1 wins.
LaSalle - 0-1 in Q1 games. 4 Q1 wins.
St. Josephs - 1-2 in Q1 games. 5 Q1 wins.
Fordham - 0-0 in Q1 games. 5 Q1 wins.

So the three worst teams in the Big East conference at the moment were 6-3 in Q1 games, and the entire A10 conference was 5-20.

And then you guys sit and complain about how you can't understand the metric, but that is the metric. You need to beat good teams in OOC, that way when you get to conference play, you have good depth where you have more than a handful of games to beat quality opponents.

You can't go 5-20 in Q1 games, and then blame everyone else, or specifically, "the cartel," for why you are struggling for respect.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago That's a loser's mentality and here is why.

People complain all that time about the Big East and how overrated it is and how they can't understand it.

The three worst Big East teams in conference play are, in order, DePaul, St. John's, and Georgetown.

During the OOC, DePaul was 3-0 in Q1 games. St. John's was 2-1 in Q1 games. Georgetown was 1-2 in Q1 games. Combined 6-3 in Q1 games.

Starting with the best A10 teams, how many teams do you think it took to get to 6 Q1 wins in the OOC?

So the three worst teams in the Big East conference at the moment were 6-3 in Q1 games, and the entire A10 conference was 5-20.

And then you guys sit and complain about how you can't understand the metric, but that is the metric. You need to beat good teams in OOC, that way when you get to conference play, you have good depth where you have more than a handful of games to beat quality opponents.

You can't go 5-20 in Q1 games, and then blame everyone else, or specifically, "the cartel," for why you are struggling for respect.
Man that's a dose of reality I'd rather not read lol.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago That's a loser's mentality and here is why.

Great insight...but why you gotta go messing up our story with all those facts? 8-)
As a politician that is fading out of the pic likes to say, "C'mon, man!"
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Damn West Virginia is taking a dump lately.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Who is not getting a fair shake? What team deserves to be higher in the NET that's not?

Ramster made a great observation last week (can't believe I just said that). When is the last time 3 "mid-majors" were in the Top 5? Not just that, but they were all in the Top 5 of the NET.

The committee for the better part of the last decade has been rewarding teams that play difficult schedules and beat good/great teams
. This is not some new concept created by the NET. If a team goes 32-0 but plays teams ranked 321-353, what does their record mean? In a sport with so many teams, teams cannot simply be judged by total wins and losses, but by quality of those wins and quality of those losses.

It is not the fault of the teams in good or great conferences that there are conferences out there that have 4-6 really bad teams that hold down the rest of the conference. Of course that's why P5+BE want to "challenge" each other. Is it the Big East's fault that their worst team, DePaul, had wins at Iowa and Minnesota, with a home win against Texas Tech, 3 Q1 wins in total during their OOC?

It's called, "Get Creative." Credit to Conference USA for coming up with a great plan to reward it's top 5 teams. Why hasn't anyone else adopted? Is it because they are too busy crying about the inequity?

Before blaming everyone else, take care of you own house. The fact that the A10 has averaged 9 teams with a ranking over 100 per season for the last 5 years is no one's fault but their own. You just can't cry about disrespect when the bottom half (or more in some years) of your conference creates cupcake lane for the better teams.

It's the same cryfest every year...
"___ barely ever plays true road games during OOC. It's not fair."
"Well how many Q1 or Q2 road games did they play during conference?"
"9, but you are missing the point, they didn't play the little guys and it's not fair."
"So they played 1 true Q1 roadgame during the OOC, played 2 other Q1/Q2 games on a neutral court, and played 9 Q1/Q2 games on the road during conference play, plus probably another 2-3 on a neutral court during the conference tournament, but they should be penalized and forced to play more road games against teams like you?"
"Exactly. We deserve our chances too. I don't care that they play 12 Q1/Q2 games away from home and more in the conference tournament, it's just not fair."
"Well how many Q1/Q2 games did you play on the road during conference play?"
"4, but you are missing the point?"
"So they play 9 Q1/Q2 games on the road during conference play, and you play 4, and you are saying they should come play games at your house because you always have to play there, even though they go on the road and play 2x+ the Q1/Q2 opponents during conference play?"
"Exactly!!! Now you get it!"
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Look at this RJ,