Walker Availability

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Walker Availability

Unread post by ace »

I think just by need alone, Walker starts next season. I know they’re not done with ‘20 recruiting, but an immediate impact big would seem unlikely.

I’m concerned about Harris’s development. In the best case scenario, he feels less pressure and plays better, maybe? In the worst, his minutes drop because of having another option and he stagnates, and everyone’s frustrated. They’re just college athletes, and I feel for them when things aren’t going well or as expected. Same with Tate.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

“We will be good when we are good.”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ace wrote: 4 years ago I think just by need alone, Walker starts next season. I know they’re not done with ‘20 recruiting, but an immediate impact big would seem unlikely.

I’m concerned about Harris’s development. In the best case scenario, he feels less pressure and plays better, maybe? In the worst, his minutes drop because of having another option and he stagnates, and everyone’s frustrated. They’re just college athletes, and I feel for them when things aren’t going well or as expected. Same with Tate.
.......I think Walker holds a key for us going far this season, his road ahead for me is wide open to produce and grow into major minutes, as the Harris and Tate development remain questionable at best......Go Rhody......or put it another way, he better be good....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3 wrote: 4 years ago We had TJ Buchanan on the podcast last week. You can check out that interview its available. After the phone call ended we asked how Walker looked and he said Walker is beyond excited to get on the floor. He is reminding TJ each practice how many days until he gets on the floor.
Is there a link to the podcast?
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/r ... 93236?mt=2

It is on iTunes and you can also find us on SoundCloud. Ep. 126 for the TJ interview.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rhodyfan3 wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3 wrote: 4 years ago We had TJ Buchanan on the podcast last week. You can check out that interview its available. After the phone call ended we asked how Walker looked and he said Walker is beyond excited to get on the floor. He is reminding TJ each practice how many days until he gets on the floor.
Is there a link to the podcast?
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/r ... 93236?mt=2

It is on iTunes and you can also find us on SoundCloud. Ep. 126 for the TJ interview.
Thanks!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Gardner and Alexander, the two names in the legal stuff, have now transferred.

I have no idea if this is someone’s fault or bad luck or a combination of the two, or if Ewing wasn’t prepared to run a college program after working with pros. I have certain qualities and experiences I prefer for college coaches to have, if possible. Ewing’s path was a little less traditional. I think he earned it, but it’s been rough going so far in a lot of ways.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Unless Tate comes back soon, DJ might have to play at the rate this is going.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I looked back at the box score from the BC scrimmage. Cyril didn’t play so Dana started. Walker was the first off the bench and played 18 minutes. He had 5 points and 3 rebounds. He also had 5 fouls (they played 6 to foul out). Long had 5 fouls in 10 minutes. Harris had 4 fouls in 20 minutes. A lot of fouls called on both team’s forwards.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Great interview by DiSano as always.

I agree that if we had Antwan for West Virginia, we would likely have won that game.

We were so close as it was.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

From Abu
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great article , sounds like Antwan is itching to get started can’t wait to see him on the floor
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Great interview by DiSano as always.

I agree that if we had Antwan for West Virginia, we would likely have won that game.

We were so close as it was.
We will know soon exactly what we were missing.

Cant wait to see him!

Seems like a tough smart guy after reading the interview with Disano.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

From people who I trust I have heard the same things, "he will help this team."

My thoughts on him have been the same, he's a dude, he's a chiseled 6'8ish athletic kid. Cyril needs help, Jermaine provides some but after that we have no other dudes that can bang with other big dudes. If all he does is play tough defense, rebound out of his area, and bring energy on both sides of the floor it will be a great addition to our core talent. That said, he hasn't played a real game in over 2 years and it will take time for him to get acclimated. Let's not expect him to look like Anthony Davis or Draymond Green on Saturday :) . If he can bring 5-6 ppg and 3-4 rpg by the middle of conference play we should all be satisfied.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

bar, at the beginning I can see those numbers as he gets used to playing in real games.

I think he'll do better than that, especially on the rebounding end as he plays more.

With Harris issues with fouls I can see him getting 15-20 minutes a game in conference play.

I would up those numbers to 8 and 6, with good defense also.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Remember I said he would average 9/5. That’s what the average average is close to now...
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Yeah I still truly believe we win the WVU game with Walker. I mentioned a while ago he will contribute and could push Jermaine for starting role at the end of year. At least even be in the game at key moments. That high low offensive action I talked about with Cyril is good. Walker is skilled nice touch and really rebounds the ball. You can tell he has a much more polished offensive game then jermaine
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Yeah I still truly believe we win the WVU game with Walker. I mentioned a while ago he will contribute and could push Jermaine for starting role at the end of year. At least even be in the game at key moments. That high low offensive action I talked about with Cyril is good. Walker is skilled nice touch and really rebounds the ball. You can tell he has a much more polished offensive game then jermaine

And Jermaine is becoming more and more serviceable on top of all that!
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Remember I said he would average 9/5. That’s what the average average is close to now...
Pretty much spot on. Loved what we saw from him in game one. Great energy.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Walker presence in lineup just might lift a huge load off Harris shoulders!

Sure looked like it today!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Walker is like a more athletic Cyril with better hands.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Excellent first game for Walker.. will take that combo of production with harris every game
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago I think just by need alone, Walker starts next season. I know they’re not done with ‘20 recruiting, but an immediate impact big would seem unlikely.

.......I think Walker holds a key for us going far this season, his road ahead for me is wide open to produce and grow into major minutes, as the Harris and Tate development remain questionable at best......Go Rhody......or put it another way, he better be good....
[/quote
........I think he was very good today....l
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Our front court is instantly stabilized with Walker. Had never seen him play; he will be a huge help in A10 play. Him and Harris will form a solid duo the next two years. And we could get by without Cyril for longer stretches now.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Love him at the high post. Can hit that shot or drive it. Also a nice pass to the low post to Rese for a basket and some nice kickouts. Did make one bad pass trying to get it to Cyril, but other than that.... Defense, rebounds...I think he's going to be a huge help.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We don't win without Walker.

Help has arrived just in time.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

That pass of his under the basket was a thing of beauty.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Remember I said he would average 9/5. That’s what the average average is close to now...
Nice call ahead of the curve with 10 and 7
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

With Walker we probably best WVU ,but I think we probably lose to LSU and definitely to Maryland. But he definitely changes the dynamic in the frontcourt. We shot like crap yesterday and still won. We don’t do that without walker
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Someone else pointed out that we have almost been too dependent on Fatts playing and shooting well in order to win.

Well he didn't yesterday, but we still won.

Of course having Walker was key...but it helps to be a little more versatile and finding other ways to win.

That means a lot going forward...and makes us harder to game plan for.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I was impressed with Walker's play.....I had never seen him play before.....he does many things well.....plays unselfishly and smart.....and he either takes a burden off Jermaine....or his play pushes Jermaine to be better or else lose his starting spot and minutes.....either way we get a better Jermaine.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Had no idea what to expect . What a pleasent surprise he was in all aspects yesterday including nice touch on his mid range jumper. He
was very active on the glass as well which should not go unnoticed . That may be key to victory over the bigger tams like Dayton, VCu and SLU .
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

luke wrote: 4 years ago Had no idea what to expect . What a pleasent surprise he was in all aspects yesterday including nice touch on his mid range jumper. He
was very active on the glass as well which should not go unnoticed . That may be key to victory over the bigger tams like Dayton, VCu and SLU .
Walker has energy too. He seems like a taller Stan to me.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree the kid looks like he will help us a lot . Be nice to see him average like 20 minutes a night
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago I was impressed with Walker's play.....I had never seen him play before.....he does many things well.....plays unselfishly and smart.....and he either takes a burden off Jermaine....or his play pushes Jermaine to be better or else lose his starting spot and minutes.....either way we get a better Jermaine.....
Agree Walker looked great.
Loved his quick pass after getting a rebound at the FT line that led to an easy layup. Walker displayed a high Basketball IQ in just his first game in 2 years.
Walker displayed a smooth shooting stroke in hitting 2 jumpers from about 16-18 feet away.
At Georgetown, and granted a limited sample, but Walker hit 2-5 on 3Ps for 40% and 14-15 on FTs for 93.3% so that is encouraging to see him displaying such a smooth touch vs WKU. His ability to pass, block shots and rebound were on display as well.
With Harris having good FT shooting ability and then hitting his first 3P vs WKU, the possibilities of playing Harris, Langevine and Walker together offer some intrigue.
The poise and calmness that Walker displayed were noteworthy. We can use that type of leadership on the floor.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Really good to hear that!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We are glad to have Walker!!!! He got a great intro during WKU. And he had a great game. Let's see him do some damage against MTSU!!!!!!