3/1 | Dayton | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: 3/1 | Dayton | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Omar’s IG story has him headed to the DR. Wonder what the story is there.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I'm a little concerned about Tyrese. I know he's a low key kind of kid, but he really seems disinterested. Watch the tape right after Dayton misses the last second shot. The other kids are celebrating, but he's walking off the court, no celebration, and actually looking unhappy. I'm not sure what's going on.
Wouldn't read much into it.

Probably just mad at himself for missing the FT. Some guys are like that, just get angry at mistakes

agree...he probably felt like he just cost us the game and in that moment didn't feel he was worthy to be part of the celebration.
kmillr16
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by kmillr16 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I'm a little concerned about Tyrese. I know he's a low key kind of kid, but he really seems disinterested. Watch the tape right after Dayton misses the last second shot. The other kids are celebrating, but he's walking off the court, no celebration, and actually looking unhappy. I'm not sure what's going on.

Probably just mad at himself for missing the FT. Some guys are like that, just get angry at mistakes

agree...he probably felt like he just cost us the game and in that moment didn't feel he was worthy to be part of the celebration.
Not sure about that. I sit down low at the RC and key in on Martin, never shows emotion, awful body language, floats passes.
Looks like he cant be bothered...
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

It’s clear you guys never seen Rese play in HS. It’s just his normal disposition. Don’t read too deep into that stuff.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Reading into body language is one of the worst things fans do. Different guys carry things differently. Some wear their emotions on their sleeves, some don’t. Always a mistake to read into it.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

I'm going to draw an analogy between Fatts and Gordon Hayward. Many people think Hayward is the reason the Celts are stumbling. Maybe so, but for them to be the team everyone thought they were going to be at the beginning of the year, I believe they need to ride Heyward and hope he gets back to his pre injury form.

I think Rhody is similarly dependent on Fatts. He is not a great shooter. Maybe he will never be. He tends to force shots at times and he can get a little out of control with the dribble. All of that was evident last night in the last 10 minutes or so. He had consecutive breakaways blocked in a matter of 15 seconds. Forced the ball into bad situations and threw up a couple wild shots. That was also the time the offense in general was stagnant. Hard to tell if his play caused the stagnant offense or if the stagnant offense caused his play.

The rest of the game, however, we saw what Fatts can be. He can be a very dynamic play. Fast, disruptive on defense, the ability to make a 3 pointer and to get to the rim to score or assist. I know there are only a few people here that wish Fatts would leave at the end of the year, but to see Rhody get to where we would all like them to get, I believe we NEED the dynamic Fatts in that rotation. Coach gets paid a lot of money. It's up to him to find a way that we see more of the dynamic Fatts and not the sloppy Fatts.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

u
RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago I'm going to draw an analogy between Fatts and Gordon Hayward. Many people think Hayward is the reason the Celts are stumbling. Maybe so, but for them to be the team everyone thought they were going to be at the beginning of the year, I believe they need to ride Heyward and hope he gets back to his pre injury form.

I think Rhody is similarly dependent on Fatts. He is not a great shooter. Maybe he will never be. He tends to force shots at times and he can get a little out of control with the dribble. All of that was evident last night in the last 10 minutes or so. He had consecutive breakaways blocked in a matter of 15 seconds. Forced the ball into bad situations and threw up a couple wild shots. That was also the time the offense in general was stagnant. Hard to tell if his play caused the stagnant offense or if the stagnant offense caused his play.

The rest of the game, however, we saw what Fatts can be. He can be a very dynamic play. Fast, disruptive on defense, the ability to make a 3 pointer and to get to the rim to score or assist. I know there are only a few people here that wish Fatts would leave at the end of the year, but to see Rhody get to where we would all like them to get, I believe we NEED the dynamic Fatts in that rotation. Coach gets paid a lot of money. It's up to him to find a way that we see more of the dynamic Fatts and not the sloppy Fatts.
Dunno if I’m all in on the GH comparison but bang on you are on Fatts Talk.

We got a bunch of Rocket Surgeons around these parts that want the kid to transfer out!

Your analysis is perfect.

Can’t teach speed, the Head Coach is tasked with deploying it.

Great step forward last night.
Last edited by hrstrat57 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

EC has that same look plenty of times, I remember twice in particular.

Last year after Stan’s buzzer beater, and few years back when Biruta had a game winning tip in at Fordham.

EC looked both pissed and upset after both those shots.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

More positives from this game?

Winning on national TV, more importantly ESPN, on the road against a legit opponent, increases the chances for next year getting more of these national TV games, better H & H conference opponents next year.

Big big W.
Go Rhody
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

This was a significant win as a lead up to Brooklyn and the effort to end this season on a high mental note and prepare for next season. Our lack of depth is troubling and hopefully the off season will sees one action on that front.

The problem with Tyrese is not the body language, but his lack of energy. Look at a replay of game and note with 2+ minutes left in game Toppin makes a successful looping drive to the basket in the vicinity of Tyrese and there is Tyrese strangely cemented to the floor and all he offers up is a limp arm gesture. I will give Tyrese credit, the guy knows how to rebound the ball, but how do you play 32 minutes in guard position and not score a point in a game as intense and close as this one.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago This was a significant win as a lead up to Brooklyn and the effort to end this season on a high mental note and prepare for next season. Our lack of depth is troubling and hopefully the off season will sees one action on that front.

The problem with Tyrese is not the body language, but his lack of energy. Look at a replay of game and note with 2+ minutes left in game Toppin makes a successful looping drive to the basket in the vicinity of Tyrese and there is Tyrese strangely cemented to the floor and all he offers up is a limp arm gesture. I will give Tyrese credit, the guy knows how to rebound the ball, but how do you play 32 minutes in guard position and not score a point in a game as intense and close as this one.
Idk, you did give him credit for rebounding. On the last play of 2nd half when Landers missed the outback, Martin was the only ram with a body on someone. Energy? I don’t think there is a lack of it. As others mentioned he helped where it won’t show in the box score. He also exchanged pleasantries at the end of the game with either Landers or Crutcher, I don’t think someone with a lack of energy or emotion would show that. I was happy that someone got him out of there (either CT or Tate, can’t remember)
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago In close games in the tourney I doubt they play...even though guys could use a break...playing 4 days in a row with limited depth is hard, but not impossible.

UConn did 5 in a row back when they ran through their conference tourney on their way to the national title.

Dayton did it a few years ago when they went to the Elite 8.....with 6 players.

The only day I could see them play would be Thursday if we play say LaSalle and have a big lead.

They went to the second round after winning the first four game and the game against providence with 6 players.

They had a full roster that elite 8 year.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago

EC has that same look plenty of times, I remember twice in particular.

Last year after Stan’s buzzer beater, and few years back when Biruta had a game winning tip in at Fordham.

EC looked both pissed and upset after both those shots.
As I said at that time, as well, this has always been stupid.
TruePoint wrote: 6 years ago Here is photo evidence of EC being upset that Stan got to take the last shot.

Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Omar’s IG story has him headed to the DR. Wonder what the story is there.
I was wondering the same thing also.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Omar’s IG story has him headed to the DR. Wonder what the story is there.

at the risk of sounding more stupider than I usually do, what is the DR?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago It’s clear you guys never seen Rese play in HS. It’s just his normal disposition. Don’t read too deep into that stuff.
Couch Psychology 101 on Rese.

It’s like when men say to women, “you should smile more.” Is someone going to go up to him and say, “you know you should really smile more.” ??
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dominican Republic is what I assumed. Omar is from the Dominican Republic.
Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 5 years ago

Dominican Republic is what I assumed
Correct.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Dominican Republic. He has his passport in hand.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......spring break?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago It’s clear you guys never seen Rese play in HS. It’s just his normal disposition. Don’t read too deep into that stuff.
Couch Psychology 101 on Rese.

It’s like when men say to women, “you should smile more.” Is someone going to go up to him and say, “you know you should really smile more.” ??
Never having met him, I probably wouldn't lead with that, but if I did meet him, I would be thinking about trying to work it in eventually... ;)
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......spring break?
In season? Coaches wouldn't allow that. Haven't seen the IGpost but concerning none the less.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......spring break?
Spring break is week after this upcoming week.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Damn, that was a good game. I was almost glad it went to overtime because I was having so much fun watching it. Great win, and what I thought this team was capable of. Next up, let's fry some chickens.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

He tweeted this yesterday. I wonder if they're connected.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hard to speculate on what exactly it means.....but he does probably realize he's not likely to see major minutes here going forward.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Or maybe it’s a family situation. Everything that happens in these guys’ lives isn’t about basketball.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Yeah, that's just how he plays. I agree, but I also think he lacks focus at times. He's a Freshman. I've seen the games when he's locked in a bit more and the swagger look is still there but it's not quite as pronounced on those days in my opinion. I think he'll be just fine.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey