‘19 LA SG - Gregory Hammond (URI ---> UMass-Lowell)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Re: ‘19 LA SG - Gregory Hammond (URI Signed LOI)

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

CTRamfan wrote: 4 years ago Kenny, always welcome your insight [and DRE's], as those who really know.

As one who has played as well.............Cox is only 42 games into his head coaching career, and stands at 24-18, during a major rebuild.

He has shown me good leadership skills.
Let’s not forget Cox has won 13 out of his last 17 games. That’s 76.5%. Not bad.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Hey. Question for the group.
Hammond “entered the transfer portal”. That means he can still pull out of the portal right? Could he just be testing the waters or is he done? Anyone have any confirmation that he’s out of URI?
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

You can pull out of the portal. not sure that URI would welcome that.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago You can pull out of the portal. not sure that URI would welcome that.
Why not?
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Because you would have to be really convinced that he would not do it again. Obviously not convinced that Kingston is the right place for him.

It is kinda of the same as rehiring an employee who left previously because he got a few more $$$$$.
NOLA504
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NOLA504 »

Rhode Island will never get a New Orleans kid again !
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

We wish Greg luck where ever he ends up.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

NOLA504 wrote: 4 years ago Rhode Island will never get a New Orleans kid again !
I wish Hammond the best of luck wherever he lands, but I really think his transfer is symptomatic of this generation that wants it NOW. They have been brought up in an environment of “everyone gets a trophy” and thus they expect to immediately get play time and be the star player. What they don’t realize is that there are at least 5 players ahead of them that play better than them or at least as good as them.

What ever happened to the concert of earning your spot?

And, oh, by the way, we weren’t even into conference play yet!

He either needs to find a lesser conference, or expect some bench time.
NOLA504
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NOLA504 »

You absolutely right About earning your time but that wasn’t the case ! When a Player busting his ass in practice and they telling you good job and Telling the parent that he will get his time and when game time come and you don’t get no playing time but a on walk get in the game before you that’s crazy . All he wanted was an opportunity and never got that .Some of the stuff y’all say be on point and some of the things just be speculation y’all say . Things just didn’t work out and that’s apart of life . I appreciate the ones who been supporting Greg from day one !!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

NOLA504 wrote: 4 years ago You absolutely right About earning your time but that wasn’t the case ! When a Player busting his ass in practice and they telling you good job and Telling the parent that he will get his time and when game time come and you don’t get no playing time but a on walk get in the game before you that’s crazy . All he wanted was an opportunity and never got that .Some of the stuff y’all say be on point and some of the things just be speculation y’all say . Things just didn’t work out and that’s apart of life . I appreciate the ones who been supporting Greg from day one !!
This is all fair and well, but it was 8 games into his career.
NOLA504
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NOLA504 »

Always follow your 1st mind .
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NOLA504 wrote: 4 years ago You absolutely right About earning your time but that wasn’t the case ! When a Player busting his ass in practice and they telling you good job and Telling the parent that he will get his time and when game time come and you don’t get no playing time but a on walk get in the game before you that’s crazy . All he wanted was an opportunity and never got that .Some of the stuff y’all say be on point and some of the things just be speculation y’all say . Things just didn’t work out and that’s apart of life . I appreciate the ones who been supporting Greg from day one !!
You must be Greg’s AAU coach. Your response mirrors the post under Bill Koch’s tweet. You should be more concerned about helping him find the right spot. A team that will hand him PT without earning it. URI wasn’t it. If he was better than the 8-9 guys in front of him in practice, he would’ve played. Coaches want to win, more than they care about politics.

This type of “entitlement” is what’s hurting these kids today, not helping them.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NOLA504 wrote: 4 years ago Always follow your 1st mind .
What does this mean?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Are you talking about the ONE game (PC) when Dadika got in for about 10 seconds?
NOLA504
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NOLA504 »

I’m not Greg coach ! I’m his father so like I said y’all don’t know what was going on . You suppose earn your time nothing suppose to be just a hand out to you but when you busting your ass in practice and the coach telling you your going to play and texting his parent that he will because he busting his ass but don’t play when it’s time . I have proof of all this . I’m not bout to be lip wresting with you for something you don’t even have a clue of what was going on . Greg will be fine Have a good day
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NOLA504 wrote: 4 years ago I’m not Greg coach ! I’m his father so like I said y’all don’t know what was going on . You suppose earn your time nothing suppose to be just a hand out to you but when you busting your ass in practice and the coach telling you your going to play and texting his parent that he will because he busting his ass but don’t play when it’s time . I have proof of all this . I’m not bout to be lip wresting with you for something you don’t even have a clue of what was going on . Greg will be fine Have a good day
Best of luck to your son.
Last edited by DC_Rams 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Question is, Cox says he'll play but when? Right away?

He can't guarantee that.

Patience was required...there wasn't any I suppose.
NOLA504
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NOLA504 »

It don’t matter if it was 5 seconds . You have 9 players left with in 2yrs . Y’all don’t have a clue of What’s going on y’all on the outside looking in .
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

NOLA504 wrote: 4 years ago I’m not Greg coach ! I’m his father so like I said y’all don’t know what was going on . You suppose earn your time nothing suppose to be just a hand out to you but when you busting your ass in practice and the coach telling you your going to play and texting his parent that he will because he busting his ass but don’t play when it’s time . I have proof of all this . I’m not bout to be lip wresting with you for something you don’t even have a clue of what was going on . Greg will be fine Have a good day
Almost all D1 athletes are 'busting their ass in practice' sir. Effort alone doesn't guarantee playing time at this level, I'm sure you know that. Tough spot for a parent so I get it, but giving it 8 games seems a bit premature.
NOLA504
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NOLA504 »

You suppose to see what you got before conference play right ? At the end of the day you suppose to Be giving an opportunity. You can’t play fatts and Jeff all those minutes like that they will burn out . Keep them fresh for conference play . Last year they didn’t have no legs from playing all those minutes
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
NOLA504 wrote: 4 years ago Always follow your 1st mind .
What does this mean?
My guess would be Hammond had a leaning towards another school but went ultimately with URI.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hammond should have played in the MTSU game, if for no other reason than to give our guards a break.

I think Hammond was not only frustrated with not getting PT, but saw what would happen next year with 3 [or more] guards coming in.

And his dad agreed.
Last edited by rambone 78 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Personally I would like to see Greg and also Devale play to see what they are capable of before we go into A10 Conference play.

We have opportunities for improvement in outside shooting and in guard depth. I’d like to have seen Greg and Devale demonstrate their outside shooting skills by now.

Sorry to see Greg moving on. Best of luck to him
NOLA504
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NOLA504 »

You right ! Thank you
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Hammond should have played in the MTSU game, if for no other reason than to give our guards a break.

I think Hammond was not only frustrated with not getting PT, but saw what would happen next year with 3 [or more] guards coming in.

And his dad agreed.
He left before the MTSU game, didn't he?
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

You all go right ahead and continue to convince yourselves that nobody but fans read this message board...

Thanks for chiming in dad. Good luck to your son! Hope he makes us wish he had been given a chance here!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NOLA504
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NOLA504 »

Thank you
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Hammond should have played in the MTSU game, if for no other reason than to give our guards a break.

And his dad agreed.
You're right!

As fate would have it, Greg would have likely played at least a few minutes in that one, and might even have stayed?

Bad timing.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And his dad agreed.
Greg left after the PC Game.
Tate was suspended
Toppin and Long provided the bench
Walker was not eligible yet

Even when Russell got injured and went to the locker room, Greg did not get the call.
With 15 seconds to go Cox out Dadica in and Rhody up 14 points

I had an uneasy feeling then when Greg did not play at all and said so in the PC Game thread.

I’d much prefer to see guys like Hammond, Devale Johnson, Mike Layssard and Mike Tertsea show what they can do, but it really doesn’t happen here. We are told they earn playing time in practice.

I’d have given Hammond plenty of chances. He comes all the way to RI, signed before his HS season started, we had plenty of time to watch him perform his Senior Year after signing. We could have and should have known then that he was not worthy of Freshman Year PT but even more so with Sheppard not being eligible. Tate got a lot of chances as a freshman so his departure at least we knew what he was and wasn’t capable of. Not the case with Greg. Best of luck to Greg.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Thank you, Mr. Hammond, for coming on here and speaking your mind. It is a rare honor to talk to a player's father. I know I would move heaven and Earth for my own son. You do what you feel is best for your family and don't let anyone tell you differently. Always.
NOLA504
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NOLA504 »

Thank you I appreciate your support!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

NOLA504 wrote: 4 years ago You suppose to see what you got before conference play right ? At the end of the day you suppose to Be giving an opportunity. You can’t play fatts and Jeff all those minutes like that they will burn out . Keep them fresh for conference play . Last year they didn’t have no legs from playing all those minutes
Yes you are, but when you have goals of an NCAA birth and are playing the 50th toughest schedule in the country in Nov/Dec there aren't as many opportunities to "see what you got." I do not fault any kid for moving on if they feel they weren't going to be given the opportunity, but I just think 1/4th of your Freshmen year isn't enough time to determine that. Regardless, I agree it is nice to hear from your perspective and wish nothing but the best for Greg and his future.
NOLA504
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NOLA504 »

Thank you !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If the issue was playing time 10 games into a college career, my feeling is that you stick it out and keep working. If he was treated poorly, that's another thing. If that was the case, we have a problem.
NOLA504
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NOLA504 »

If you watch the 4 games he played in with a total of 13 minutes wasn’t bad at all . He wasn’t treated fairly . With the roster URI have he was good enough to play at less 10-13 minutes as a freshman . No disrespect but those guys he was seating behind wasn’t no 5 star one and done players . You can’t win by constantly having your starter play heavy minutes like that . This the same thing that happen last year with Fatts and Jeff they had no legs doing the end of games it’s about getting everybody ready for conference if you trying to win but you can’t win playing 7 players heavy minutes like that and don’t think it Will catch up with u.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I would have liked to see him get 10 minutes a game to compare him to Bishop. We talk about kids leaving elsewhere like they are all of a sudden going to average 12 pts or 9 rebounds when they get here when they couldn’t do it where they were. I wish Greg happiness and peace.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NOLA504
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NOLA504 »

I can’t say what his average will be but I know for sure if he get an opportunity he will produce . Rather it’s scoring ,rebounding or playing defense.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah at the very least Greg could have kept us afloat enough to rest Jeff and Fatts.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I don't have a problem with a dad doing what he thinks is best for his kids. I have kids. I've always done that. The problem I have is with the dad saying that URI will never get anyone from New Orleans again because of it.
NOLA504
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NOLA504 »

Hey it’s been fun chatting with y’all . I wish nothing but the best for URI . We on to the next journey moving forward! See y’all in the near future.Peace
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

NOLA504 wrote: 4 years ago If you watch the 4 games he played in with a total of 13 minutes wasn’t bad at all . He wasn’t treated fairly . With the roster URI have he was good enough to play at less 10-13 minutes as a freshman . No disrespect but those guys he was seating behind wasn’t no 5 star one and done players . You can’t win by constantly having your starter play heavy minutes like that . This the same thing that happen last year with Fatts and Jeff they had no legs doing the end of games it’s about getting everybody ready for conference if you trying to win but you can’t win playing 7 players heavy minutes like that and don’t think it Will catch up with u.
I agree. I liked what I saw from Hammond in the limited minutes. He deserved more.
Last edited by steveystuds06 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I was commenting on people here thinking our current players are not as good as kids leaving elsewhere. I would have loved to see Greg play 10 meaningful minutes a game here to assess him myself.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agreed. I would also like to have seen DJ Johnson, Layssard and Tertsea more but especially would have liked to have seen Hammond.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Was Nicholls State in on CT transfer or Hammond previously? I like what I saw of how Claunch does business. I think with better players Nicholls could be strong.

Just curious.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Offers to Hammond Originally:

Rhode Island
Tulane
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Richmond
La Tech
Stephen F Austin
McNee State
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Is the approach symptomatic of the transfer epidemic?
Not to say there is anything wrong with it, but if a player leaves now, he's guaranteed to be playing in December of 2020.
If he waits until the spring, he probably doesn't play until November of 2021.
In both scenarios, can throw Hail Mary's for waivers, but what percentage of those work out?
If a kid is not feeling it, and thinks it's probably only going to get harder to find minutes during conference play, why not leave?
Perhaps if the transfer process was a little different, players might be more likely to try to "stick it out."
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

NOLA504 wrote: 4 years agoThank you
I wish the very best to your son. He sure seemed like a great kid. I hope he finds a great fit school that offers him the playing time that he wants and that he is happy with the education and the environment.

As parents we all want the best for our children.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago You all go right ahead and continue to convince yourselves that nobody but fans read this message board...

Thanks for chiming in dad. Good luck to your son! Hope he makes us wish he had been given a chance here!
I’ve been saying that for years now. I know a few of our favorite players and families that read the stuff posted here. Right, wrong or indifferent, it happens. Daily.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

This thread has me all nostalgic for the Mike Powell days....
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

NOLA504 wrote: 4 years ago Hey it’s been fun chatting with y’all . I wish nothing but the best for URI . We on to the next journey moving forward! See y’all in the near future.Peace
Best of luck to Greg. It might not mean much to you at the moment but I did hear Coach Cox make very positive comments about Greg and his family in an interview situation after the transfer was announced.