2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
sbrand wrote: 5 years ago That’s great to hear. It was a ghost town from Friday night to Sunday Night when I was there 83-87.
It certainly was. I remember I saw Marshall Tucker Band at Meade and I went by myself. Everyone had left campus.
Concerts at Meade? Bring them back!
There used to be Spring concerts at Meade every year. I remember one when I was there, B.B. King, J.Geils and a few others. Great times.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago

It certainly was. I remember I saw Marshall Tucker Band at Meade and I went by myself. Everyone had left campus.
There used to be Spring concerts at Meade every year. I remember one when I was there, B.B. King, J.Geils and a few others. Great times.
Omigosh...JGeils... I saw them 6 times, a LOT of fun.
Magic Dick (with Shun Ng) is at the Stone Courthouse here in West K next weekend. Has anyone seen that act?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Magic Dick (with Shun Ng) is at the Stone Courthouse here in West K next weekend. Has anyone seen that act?
I haven't. I wonder if he still does Whammer Jammer? (am I off topic?)
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That is 'totally' topic. I just watched a YouTube video of them doing that one...not bad...
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

That is 'totally' topic. I just watched a YouTube video of them doing that one...not bad...
J.Geils was also the first concert I ever saw at the Prov. Civic Center (now The Dump) in '74. Tickets were $4.50. The Who played later that year at the same place. Tickets were $8.50. I thought that was outrageous. I didn't go.... The Spring concert with J.Geils was in '75.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

$4.50 for a concert!? Damn that’s an iced coffee these days.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago $4.50 for a concert!? Damn that’s an iced coffee these days.
http://rirocks.net/images/1974%2008.15% ... r%20ad.jpg
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago $4.50 for a concert!? Damn that’s an iced coffee these days.
I obviously just googled what J Giles is too haha
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
I saw J Geils maybe 3 times all around New Years. They played until the Civic Center shut it down. Awesome!!!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Clicked on the video. Then noticed the Chicago performance of 25 or 6 to 4 at Tanglewood in 1970. Their original guitarist was incredibly good; but died very young. Had to listen to Santana too. That was all almost 50 years ago. Damn.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

When does the OOC get released?
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago When does the OOC get released?

Almost never.

Every year.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The fact that the Jamaica Classic field is not yet complete may be a factor for it not being released. There will be two home tournament games versus opponents from a group of four teams, two of which are not yet known (only known are NC A&T and Nicholls State.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
The fact that the Jamaica Classic field is not yet complete may be a factor for it not being released. There will be two home tournament games versus opponents from a group of four teams, two of which are not yet known (only known are NC A&T and Nicholls State.
I hope we play neither. If we have to, I hope we beat them by more than 50.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

But they are going to get two teams like that in the tournament. That’s how those things work.

Anyone have any insight into how North Florida* is supposed to look this season? That’s their other game in Jamaica.

ETA- as noted below, it is actually North Texas. I mixed up two of the states that I would never live in.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago But they are going to get two teams like that in the tournament. That’s how those things work.

Anyone have any insight into how North Florida is supposed to look this season? That’s their other game in Jamaica.
It is actually north texas. But I think they should be a solid mid major team that definitely has a chance to win their conference. Most of their best players are returning. They had a couple injuries to end the year last year but were really good to start the year. I like them better then bucknell who we played last year.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

sevegny7 wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago But they are going to get two teams like that in the tournament. That’s how those things work.

Anyone have any insight into how North Florida is supposed to look this season? That’s their other game in Jamaica.
It is actually north texas. But I think they should be a solid mid major team that definitely has a chance to win their conference. Most of their best players are returning. They had a couple injuries to end the year last year but were really good to start the year. I like them better then bucknell who we played last year.
Ha! I knew that, had the tournament page open and everything. Is there even a North Florida? Or just Central and South? Hopefully they’ll do better against them then Bucknell.

You weren’t joking. The end of their season was brutal.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

I know north Florida has been near the top of the A-sun for the last few years.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
sevegny7 wrote: 5 years ago

Ha! I knew that, had the tournament page open and everything. Is there even a North Florida? Or just Central and South? Hopefully they’ll do better against them then Bucknell.

You weren’t joking. The end of their season was brutal.
There is a North Florida, The University of North Florida Ospreys out of the Atlantic Sun conference. They had a couple of good years in 2015 and 2016 seasons. Made the big dance for the first time ever in 2015.
Last edited by reckless jake 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

An osprey is just a fantastic mascot.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I lived in both Texas and Florida and would say I loved them both. Nice taxes. great roads and infrastructure. Nice place to retire I would think. Great gun laws as well.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago

Almost never.

Every year.
It’s always a really narrow window of any time between May and late August.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Anyone have any insight into how North Florida* is supposed to look this season? That’s their other game in Jamaica.

ETA- as noted below, it is actually North Texas. I mixed up two of the states that I would never live in.
Ace never say never. Lived in FL for a number of years. Could very well end up there again part time; just not sure where. It's a large and diverse state. I never thought I would live in NJ but did and liked it, a lot. You never know.

I'm really enjoying making posts that have nothing to do with the schedule.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago

Ace never say never. Lived in FL for a number of years. Could very well end up there again part time; just not sure where. It's a large and diverse state. I never thought I would live in NJ but did and liked it, a lot. You never know.

At the very least, I would require a climate controlled Pope-mobile like vehicle to transport me around the state. Humidity is my hair’s mortal enemy. We have family in Florida (Miami area and Clearwater). It is very much not my thing.

But yeah, the schedule!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Last year’s conference pairings were announced on June 13. Are we going to get them this week?

Dayton, Davidson, VCU, UMass, and La Salle again? Switch out St. Joe’s maybe?

St. Joe’s games are going to seem so strange this year.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Getting Dayton, Davidson and VCU would be a god send as it would add likely 3 Q1 road games and 3 Q1/Q2 home games pending where they net out after OOC.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Yeah north texas started 16 and 1 to start. But really hit a tough stretch with several of there best players getting hurt. They never recovered from that. And fiu and fau really took advantage of them during that injured time. And when the players returned they were not 100% and it showed. If they didnt have those injuries I think they would have won their conference. They are returning at least half of their top 6 scorers. They added a transfer from north dakota state...and a few good juco players.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

North Florida is in Jacksonville I believe Sidney Green coached there for a time
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

https://toptiertravel.com/jamaica-class ... ges-ibero/

This has Samford and UMBC included in the travel thing....

If they are in it with NC A&T and Nicholls St then that would be 8 teams.

LSU
URI
Utah State
North Texas

Nicholls St
Samford
NC A&T
UMBC
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

I think our schedule is pretty set now.

We will play five teams involved in the Jamaica classic,(assuming we will get two home cupcake games) along with three games at the tournament in Jamaica.

Those five games added to the seven games already scheduled would give us twelve total. Doubt we will exceed that.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

I like that tourney. Could be a whole lot worse imo. And let's face it who does not want to go to Jamaica.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago I think our schedule is pretty set now.

We will play five teams involved in the Jamaica classic,(assuming we will get two home cupcake games) along with three games at the tournament in Jamaica.

Those five games added to the seven games already scheduled would give us twelve total. Doubt we will exceed that.
Just four games in total for the Jamaica Classic tournament. Two at home and two in Jamaica from a group of LSU, USU, and North Texas.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago https://toptiertravel.com/jamaica-class ... ges-ibero/

LSU
URI
Utah State
North Texas

Nicholls St
Samford
NC A&T
UMBC
Good detective work PRT

The 4 teams consisting of Nicholls State, Samford, NC A&T and UMBC will not play the upper 4 teams in Jamaica.
The upper 4 teams will play one another in 2 games each . The Tournament will decide which of the 4 teams will play each other
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago https://toptiertravel.com/jamaica-class ... ges-ibero/

LSU
URI
Utah State
North Texas

Nicholls St
Samford
NC A&T
UMBC
Good detective work PRT

The 4 teams consisting of Nicholls State, Samford, NC A&T and UMBC will not play the upper 4 teams in Jamaica.
The upper 4 teams will play one another in 2 games each . The Tournament will decide which of the 4 teams will play each other
Are you sure?

Games will take place for 3 days, November 22nd through the 24th in Jamaica.

Seems to suggest that there will be three games down there.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Nicholls State web site press release has Samford and UMBC in the Jamaica Classic as well. Indicates that all eight participants will play four games - eight in the US and eight at Montego Bay.

https://geauxcolonels.com/news/2019/6/6 ... assic.aspx
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago

LSU
URI
Utah State
North Texas

Nicholls St
Samford
NC A&T
UMBC
Good detective work PRT

Are you sure?

Games will take place for 3 days, November 22nd through the 24th in Jamaica.

Seems to suggest that there will be three games down there.
Two games in Jamaica for the 8 teams. A total 8 games played over 3 days. That is what last year’s schedule shows.
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

I see that now
reckless jake
ARD

Our road game with Brown is scheduled for January 2nd, 2020 per Brown's men's basketball schedule press release.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I lived in both Texas and Florida and would say I loved them both. Nice taxes. great roads and infrastructure. Nice place to retire I would think. Great gun laws as well.
And...... NO SNOW
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago
Way to go UCH, that's an often underappreciated art....
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago I lived in both Texas and Florida and would say I loved them both. Nice taxes. great roads and infrastructure. Nice place to retire I would think. Great gun laws as well.
And...... NO SNOW

Too hot!

Cali would be my hot choice above them.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago Clicked on the video. Then noticed the Chicago performance of 25 or 6 to 4 at Tanglewood in 1970. Their original guitarist was incredibly good; but died very young. Had to listen to Santana too. That was all almost 50 years ago. Damn.
Terry Kath kicked ass, and Chicago could rock. After he died, they started drifting toward the wimpy Peter Cetera Lite FM dreck.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 5 years ago
UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago Clicked on the video. Then noticed the Chicago performance of 25 or 6 to 4 at Tanglewood in 1970. Their original guitarist was incredibly good; but died very young. Had to listen to Santana too. That was all almost 50 years ago. Damn.
Terry Kath kicked ass, and Chicago could rock. After he died, they started drifting toward the wimpy Peter Cetera Lite FM dreck.
Hendrix once said that Terry Kath was better than he was.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

IIRC, he used the term "badass."
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

BC will do a home and home with SLU but won’t play URI? Whimps
“We will be good when we are good.”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago BC will do a home and home with SLU but won’t play URI? Whimps
SLU gets an even home and home. URI could only get two 2-1 deals with BC.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago BC will do a home and home with SLU but won’t play URI? Whimps
Both are Catholic Schools - no surprise
reckless jake
ARD

Both are Catholic Schools - no surprise
They're even closer than that... they're two of the 28 member Association of Jesuit Colleges & Universities.