Game 17: @ St Bonaventure Wednesday Jan 13 @7pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 17: @ St Bonaventure Wednesday Jan 13 @7pm

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:So, Adam, everyone is supposed to be like you and
think everything is just wonderful?
Step back from the Koolaide and open your eyes.
Not sure where you get the idea that I think everything is wonderful.
I agree...things are somewhere in between 'not wonderful' and 'not the end of the world'...far from either extreme. ;)
BornNBred33
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BornNBred33 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:So, Adam, everyone is supposed to be like you and
think everything is just wonderful?
Step back from the Koolaide and open your eyes.
Not sure where you get the idea that I think everything is wonderful.
I agree...things are somewhere in between 'not wonderful' and 'not the end of the world'...far from either extreme. ;)
well said NYFAN...... it always amazes me reading people talking about Dan not making adjustments. The players need to play and seal the deal. They will continue to make adjustments and improve. And please, no more references to CFL, its just foolish. GO RHODY beat LaSalle.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

BornNBred33 wrote:And please, no more references to CFL, its just foolish. GO RHODY beat LaSalle.

References to CFL will not stop until this program exceeds the performance of his teams.
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

hrstrat57 wrote:Rod the live stats I link to via gorhody.com are very good
There is even a "Go Rhody" app if you have an iPhone which will show you the live stats. A little annoying having to refresh the page constantly but it does its job.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/go-rhod ... 74101?mt=8
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

RF1 wrote:
BornNBred33 wrote:And please, no more references to CFL, its just foolish. GO RHODY beat LaSalle.

References to CFL will not stop until this program exceeds the performance of his teams.

Someone do this please.

Sucks that our hypothetical what ifs went from Elite Eight, to what if they didn't choke, to what if this never ending drought doesn't stop?1/1?
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RF1 wrote:

......It is true.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

......It is true.[/

Wow
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

Gonebarongone wrote:
Joe wrote:If slowing the game down on offense worked for us, we would do it for the whole game. But slowing the offense down doesn't work, ever, so why do it when it matters most? Stick with the up-tempo aggression.
There are 351 D1 teams, URI's average length of possession is #344. They play the entire game slowly. As the team improved over three years, it looks like DH slowly let them go a bit but crashing down to earth this year. I think one of his main issues is trusting these guys. With a pretty good PG, he should be able to let them open it up a bit but it's like needs to orchestrate every single possession.
Wow, that stat is pretty surprising. But anyway, I guess what I should've said would be that instead of drastically slowing down the offense at the end of the game, it should stay consistent with what it usually is.

And yeah, I wish that sometimes he would just let them play without calling out every possession.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I think what has become obvious is this team has a few "good to really good" players but no stars. Teams like that can only win if they play a good brand of smart, sharing basketball. We do not have the players to go one-on-one, and breakdown their man or create their own shot.

Count me as another one who cannot for the life of me understand why we go into a stall offense the last few minutes...why stop what it working? By now it's obvious to all of us...this team is just not good at executing "stall ball". Million Dollar Dan, needs to come up with a new plan. We got these results with a guy making a third of what he does...
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RIFan wrote:I think what has become obvious is this team has a few "good to really good" players but no stars. Teams like that can only win if they play a good brand of smart, sharing basketball. We do not have the players to go one-on-one, and breakdown their man or create their own shot.
If only we had that sort of player coming into the year.
Joe
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Joe »

If only we had ...

ec matthews

*queue the hate comments*
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I am referring to the team we have, not the team we could have had.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

SGreenwell wrote:
RIFan wrote:I think what has become obvious is this team has a few "good to really good" players but no stars. Teams like that can only win if they play a good brand of smart, sharing basketball. We do not have the players to go one-on-one, and breakdown their man or create their own shot.
If only we had that sort of player coming into the year.
And that absence of a star type player described is what I thought when I started the recruits topic....were expecting to have landed one by now...?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Roz wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Dan took the air out of the ball late in the 2nd half at St. Joe's too. The offense slows to a crawl, standing around, hero ball, no ball movement...leads to bad shots.

It's over coaching, being too conservative. Move the damn ball!!! Get screening!! Make the defense work!! Get a defensive rebound, sprint up court and get an easy bucket. Then make the other team work and have them take :25 off the shot clock.

If you're up 8 with 2 minutes to go, I get it...work the shot clock. Do the math. But in 1 to 2 possession games with 5-7:00 left? Why get conservative. I don't know why Dan cannot see this.
Last year that would be the time for E.C. makes a play and increases the team confidence.
??? Huh? I'm not sure if you're serious with that statement or not. Last year? EC? Team confidence? That was part of the problem with the losses...hero ball...stand around and watch. Diagram a play...preferably one that gets the ball into the low block...it's high percentage shot the closer to the basket and secondly, jump shots are easier to make when/if the ball goes inside and then back out.
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

EC did struggle closing games out last year. I'm just really discouraged right now.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I guess we're just going to have to wait and see when and if Dan starts making late game adjustments on offense. Something's got to change. His players must cringe when Dan tells them to slow it down. Their confidence has to be shot. Who can blame them?

Will there be any repercussions from the comments made about a couple of his players? Something else to think about.

This team is on edge right now. They could fall off a cliff and collapse, or rally and win a few ballgames.

We'll see what they are made of, and soon.

BTW, EC will not be the savior next season. The problem isn't him, it's systemic.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if someone transfers after the season. It certainly won't be the first time.
Calling out specific players to the media is inexcusable.
I'm .not seeing a lot down there that I like.
How would people feel about this coach if his name was Smith or Jones.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramfan85 wrote:At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if someone transfers after the season. It certainly won't be the first time.
Calling out specific players to the media is inexcusable.
I'm .not seeing a lot down there that I like.
How would people feel about this coach if his name was Smith or Jones.
Isn't the possibility of transfers a possibility 'every year'? That's why I think it's so tough, midway thru one season, to even begin to talk about 'next year's depth.' Too many wildcards...

I DO think this team will get better/more consistent by year end and still have faith in a gnarly run in Brooklyn.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Keep dreaming pal.

Yes, Terrell could go. KI too.

If KI doesn't want to hustle, we don't need him.

Terrell, I really hope he stays.

Dan can make your life miserable if you aren't giving 100%. We saw that with a tall guy who was tossed off the team.

If we lose key guys, that's a huge red flag for this coach.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Keep dreaming pal.

Yes, Terrell could go. KI too.

If KI doesn't want to hustle, we don't need him.

Terrell, I really hope he stays.

Dan can make your life miserable if you aren't giving 100%. We saw that with a tall guy who was tossed off the team.

If we lose key guys, that's a huge red flag for this coach.
So...if Terrell and KI leave...is 'next year's depth' still better than this year's? (Serious question)
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Why would Iverson leave?
What is this idiocy?
I haven't seen where he doesn't hustle. I've been to every
game but one. What's that crap?
He had 8 rebounds in limited time last night.
Anyone who knows basketball knows
rebounds are effort.
Stop trashing individual players.
They aren't the ones making a living at URI.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Probably not, 208.

If that happens, you win.

And we lose.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, Dan is questioning their effort.

Something is causing that. Terrell gave his all last season. He seems out of it this season, for the most part. We've seen what he can do when he's "on".

Maybe they are sulking due to being pulled from games. I don't know.

It's Dan's job to keep everybody on the same page. Right now, they aren't.

Maybe the players need a "players only" meeting. TJ, where are you?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Probably not, 208.

If that happens, you win.

And we lose.
Nobody 'wins' if that happens...this conversation talks about next year's depth at the same time acknowledging the possibility of transfers. I'm just saying you can't bank on 'next year's depth' during the middle of the previous season... no one really knows what next year's roster will look like.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, we're expecting it to be better and deeper than this season's, that's for sure.

You are right, you never know exactly. But you have to have hope, that's all we've got right now.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'm just thinking hope for better play this year is a better investment...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We need better playing and better coaching to get better.

BOTH.

If we start winning some close games against better teams, then I will say we are getting better.

Not until.

You can hope all you want in the meantime.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I'm just thinking hope for better play this year is a better investment...
I wish we would change our state motto. I'm sick of hope.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Iverson has been a great rebounder for us. I would say better than Gil.

Since DH got here the rebounders are 1. Martin, 2. Iverson, 3. Gil.

Iverson also gets the freedom to do whatever he wants on offense. How could he want to leave?

I see no way Iverson bolts. He is still learning. He isn't an explosive player but he is long and very skilled.

I don't think he will look like a different player next year because his game is what it is. I think he definitely will be more effective.

His facial expressions are generally mean looking so maybe people could interpret that some way. I think thats just the face he wears to play.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Hard to think Iverson would leave. Sit out another year? I doubt it. As for Terrell....
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I found this info from Koch interesting with all the recent talk about close games.

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Should have the BlueRammer check the math, and I'm not even sure what it means, whether it's good or bad, but...it looks like Hurls is involved in far more of these games per year than any of the other guys?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That is just absurd by Koch. CFL was a complete disaster. Most of those close wins were probably against teams like the Coast Guard Academy.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

20-30. Barf. That's a 40% win percentage in such games. I'm guessing "close" means 5 pts. or less.

Wonder what his record is, against above .500 teams in close games? Also in road games?

I'll bet it's more like 20%.

That's not a mark to be proud of. Prospective employers will take notice down the road.

Note: Baron's record in close games against cupcakes was quite good.

Against good teams, his record [percentage wise] is similar to Hurley's.

Bad.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:20-30. Barf. That's a 40% win percentage in such games. I'm guessing "close" means 5 pts. or less.

Wonder what his record is, against above .500 teams in close games? Also in road games?

That's not a mark to be proud of. Prospective employers will take notice down the road.

Bad.

But...it's only 5 games below .500 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Complete thinking? The losses are in the books and the games were close.

Personally I have no clue what URI's problem is. I am not qualified to speculate anymore because I mostly watch URI basketball. I have no clue what right looks like.

Its like 70 teams make the dance every year. Acknowledging that the 68 team field is fairly new. 64x15=960. Over the past 15 years nearly a thousand teams have danced in our absence.

This year was always going to be a pass once EC went down. People still expected better basketball out of what was left. Having such a bad year will put a lot of pressure on URI next year. All the players look great. They look and sound like a basketball team. They're just coming up short.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:20-30. Barf. That's a 40% win percentage in such games. I'm guessing "close" means 5 pts. or less.

Bad.

But...it's only 5 games below .500 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Let's say I give you and Rambone each $50. So you each have 50% of $100. I ask you to give Rambone $1. Now Rambone has $51 and you have $49. Does Rambone now magically have $2 dollars more? Does he have $2 more than $50? He should based on your beer math. Because Rambone has a $51 - $49 advantage.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

SPG, that's what is so frustrating.

We have the talent to beat anyone in the A10. At home or on the road.

We have led just about every game we've played this year, at some point in the 2nd half.

That takes a certain amount of ability. We can play with almost anybody.

We just can't play 40 minutes. Especially the last 5 or so.

We're a top 50 RPI team for those 35 minutes, even with a few lapses here and there, which every team has.

We might be a 300 RPI team for the last 5.

It's mind boggling. But it's a fact. A brutal one, at that.

We have a million dollar body. And a 10 cent head. And the team and coach share the blame.
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:SPG, that's what is so frustrating.

We have led just about every game we've played this year, at some point in the 2nd half.

We just can't play 40 minutes. Especially the last 5 or so.

We're a top 50 RPI team for those 35 minutes, even with a few lapses here and there, which every team has.

We might be a 300 RPI team for the last 5.

It's mind boggling. But it's a fact. A brutal one, at that.
See above bold underlined for "reason to have hope".... ;)
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Do you have the magic key to the kingdom, 208?

Enlighten us.

What is missing, then?

Is it fixable? Is it the players, or is it Dan?

How much blame on each?

Nothing has changed. The same problems rear their ugly head at the end of each close game we play.

Sometimes, we luck out when the other team misses a wide open shot, and we win.

Most of the time, they make that shot, or shots. Or, we miss the open shot, or shots.

Or we don't even get a shot off [too often, I might add].

Or it's FT's. Lately, we've been better from the line. So we find other ways to lose. We are very inventive that way.

It's always something. If there's a way to lose, we'll find it.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

We shouldn't waste time on recollections when the facts are available to research, so here is a look at Baron's record in close games defined as 5 points or less. So much for the idea that wins came against teams like the Coast Guard. It seems Koch has point.

2001-02 Close Game Record 4-2
• W 66-61 vs. Iona
• W 59-57 vs. Fairfield
• W 57-55 vs. Buffalo
• W 67-66 vs. Northeastern
• L 69-72 vs. Duquesne
• L 51-52 vs. Richmond

2002-03 Close Game Record 7-3
• W 73-71 vs. USC
• W 73-71 vs. PC
• W 71-68 vs. Iona
• W 58-57 vs. St. Joseph’s
• L 68-71 vs. Temple
• W 77-72 vs. George Washington
• L 64-69 vs. Temple
• L 69-70 vs. Richmond
• W 75-73 vs. Duquesne
• W 61-60 vs. Seton Hall

2003-04 Close Game Record 4-5
• W 54-53 vs. Miami (FL)
• L 65-69 vs. Syracuse
• W 66-62 vs. Brown
• L 53-58 vs. Temple
• L 71-74 vs. St. Bonaventure
• L 63-67 vs. UMass
• W 58-54 vs. La Salle
• W 56-54 vs. Richmond
• L 55-57 vs. St. Joseph’s

2004-05 Close Game Record 2-5
• L 44-47 vs. Maine
• L 68-73 vs. Boston U.
• L 50-51 vs. Holy Cross
• W 72-70 vs. St. Bonaventure
• L 44-49 vs. UMass
• L 54-56 vs. Fordham
• W 65-60 vs. Fordham

2005-06 Close Game Record 4-5
• L 61-63 vs. Wagner
• W 64-59 vs. Fordham
• W 71-66 vs. St. Bonaventure
• W 71-68 vs. La Salle
• W 58-55 vs. UMass
• L 53-58 vs. St. Louis
• L 61-63 vs. UMass
• L 76-79 vs. Fordham

2006-07 Close Game Record 9-4
• L 99-102 vs. Houston
• W 77-73 vs. Alaska-Ankcorage
• W 72-68 vs. Brown
• W 85-84 vs. Utah
• W 69-66 vs. La Salle
• W 75-74 vs. Dayton
• L 58-62 vs. St. Louis
• W 86-81 vs. St. Joseph’s
• W 75-72 vs. UMass
• L 78-82 vs. George Washington
• W 45-44 vs. Fordham
• L 69-71 vs. Richmond
• W 73-69 vs. Fordham

2007-08 Close Game Record 5-5
• W 74-69 vs. UAB
• W 91-89 vs. Syracuse
• W 85-80 vs. Georgia Southern
• W 80-78 vs. Duquesne*
• L 76-78 vs. UMass
• W 65-63 vs. Fordham
• L 89-92 vs. Temple
• L 88-91 vs. Xavier*
• L 73-75 vs. Charlotte
• L 73-74 vs. Creighton

2008-09 Close Game Record 6-6
• W 76-74 vs. Brown*
• L 79-82 vs. Duke
• W 77-72 vs. Penn State
• L 65-66 vs. Providence College
• L 82-86 vs. Oklahoma State
• L 75-78 vs. Richmond
• W 94-89 OT vs. GW
• W 98-88 OT vs. LaSalle
• W 93-91 vs. Dayton
• W 73-71 vs. Duquesne
• L 71-72 vs. UMass
• L 74-78 vs. Duquesne

2009-10 Close Game Record 8-6
• L 82-80 vs. VCU*
• W 86-82 vs. Providence College
• W 79-76 vs. Northeastern
• W 89-85 vs. Fairfield
• W 80-79 vs. Drexel
• W 63-59 vs. Oklahoma State
• W 68-63 vs. Akron
• L 68-64 OT vs. Temple
• W 65-64 vs. Dayton
• L 69-67 vs. Richmond
• L 62-57 vs. St. Louis
• L 67-69 vs. UMass
• W 85-82 vs. Nevada
• L 67-68 OT vs. UNC

2010-11 Close Game Record 7-1
• W 67-65 vs. Boston College
• W 78-74 vs. Richmond
• W 56-55 vs. St. Bonaventure
• W 64-59 vs. St. Joseph’s
• L 75-76 vs. La Salle
• W 59-57 vs. St. Louis
• W 71-70 OT vs. Charlotte
• W 77-76 vs. Duquesne
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Why can't we get coaches like that? :o :shock: 8-) :lol:

That's a eye opener. JB was better than I thought. Fuck.

Compared to him, Dan's record to this point REALLY blows.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:We shouldn't waste time on recollections when the facts are available to research, so here is a look at Baron's record in close games defined as 5 points or less. So much for the idea that wins came against teams like the Coast Guard. It seems Koch has point.

2001-02 Close Game Record 4-2
• W 66-61 vs. Iona
• W 59-57 vs. Fairfield
• W 57-55 vs. Buffalo
• W 67-66 vs. Northeastern
• L 69-72 vs. Duquesne
• L 51-52 vs. Richmond

2002-03 Close Game Record 7-3
• W 73-71 vs. USC
• W 73-71 vs. PC
• W 71-68 vs. Iona
• W 58-57 vs. St. Joseph’s
• L 68-71 vs. Temple
• W 77-72 vs. George Washington
• L 64-69 vs. Temple
• L 69-70 vs. Richmond
• W 75-73 vs. Duquesne
• W 61-60 vs. Seton Hall

2003-04 Close Game Record 4-5
• W 54-53 vs. Miami (FL)
• L 65-69 vs. Syracuse
• W 66-62 vs. Brown
• L 53-58 vs. Temple
• L 71-74 vs. St. Bonaventure
• L 63-67 vs. UMass
• W 58-54 vs. La Salle
• W 56-54 vs. Richmond

2004-05 Close Game Record 2-5
• L 44-47 vs. Maine
• L 68-73 vs. Boston U.
• L 50-51 vs. Holy Cross
• W 72-70 vs. St. Bonaventure
• L 44-49 vs. UMass
• L 54-56 vs. Fordham
• W 65-60 vs. Fordham

2005-06 Close Game Record 4-5
• L 61-63 vs. Wagner
• W 64-59 vs. Fordham
• W 71-66 vs. St. Bonaventure
• W 71-68 vs. La Salle
• W 58-55 vs. UMass
• L 53-58 vs. St. Louis
• L 61-63 vs. UMass
• L 76-79 vs. Fordham

2006-07 Close Game Record 9-4
• L 99-102 vs. Houston
• W 77-73 vs. Alaska-Ankcorage
• W 72-68 vs. Brown
• W 85-84 vs. Utah
• W 69-66 vs. La Salle
• W 75-74 vs. Dayton
• L 58-62 vs. St. Louis
• W 86-81 vs. St. Joseph’s
• W 75-72 vs. UMass
• L 78-82 vs. George Washington
• W 45-44 vs. Fordham
• L 69-71 vs. Richmond
• W 73-69 vs. Fordham

2007-08 Close Game Record 5-5
• W 74-69 vs. UAB
• W 91-89 vs. Syracuse
• W 85-80 vs. Georgia Southern
• W 80-78 vs. Duquesne*
• L 76-78 vs. UMass
• W 65-63 vs. Fordham
• L 89-92 vs. Temple
• L 88-91 vs. Xavier*
• L 73-75 vs. Charlotte
• L 73-74 vs. Creighton

2008-09 Close Game Record 6-6
• W 76-74 vs. Brown*
• L 79-82 vs. Duke
• W 77-72 vs. Penn State
• L 65-66 vs. Providence College
• L 82-86 vs. Oklahoma State
• L 75-78 vs. Richmond
• W 94-89 OT vs. GW
• W 98-88 OT vs. LaSalle
• W 93-91 vs. Dayton
• W 73-71 vs. Duquesne
• L 71-72 vs. UMass
• L 74-78 vs. Duquesne

2009-10 Close Game Record 8-6
• L 82-80 vs. VCU*
• W 86-82 vs. Providence College
• W 79-76 vs. Northeastern
• W 89-85 vs. Fairfield
• W 80-79 vs. Drexel
• W 63-59 vs. Oklahoma State
• W 68-63 vs. Akron
• L 68-64 OT vs. Temple
• W 65-64 vs. Dayton
• L 69-67 vs. Richmond
• L 62-57 vs. St. Louis
• L 67-69 vs. UMass
• W 85-82 vs. Nevada
• L 67-68 OT vs. UNC

2010-11 Close Game Record 7-1
• W 67-65 vs. Boston College
• W 78-74 vs. Richmond
• W 56-55 vs. St. Bonaventure
• W 64-59 vs. St. Joseph’s
• L 75-76 vs. La Salle
• W 59-57 vs. St. Louis
• W 71-70 OT vs. Charlotte
• W 77-76 vs. Duquesne
Can you add RPI so we get a sense on how good the teams were? I see alot of Fordham wins and they suck.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Do you have the magic key to the kingdom, 208?

Enlighten us.

What is missing, then?

Is it fixable? Is it the players, or is it Dan?

How much blame on each?

Nothing has changed. The same problems rear their ugly head at the end of each close game we play.

Sometimes, we luck out when the other team misses a wide open shot, and we win.

Most of the time, they make that shot, or shots. Or, we miss the open shot, or shots.

Or we don't even get a shot off [too often, I might add].

Or it's FT's. Lately, we've been better from the line. So we find other ways to lose. We are very inventive that way.

It's always something. If there's a way to lose, we'll find it.
Nope, no magic keys. Just find it interesting that, 'thinking this team still has potential to do well in March'...gets hooted on by someone that says:

For the reasons listed above...I think this team can do well in March...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Except for the last year listed [10-11] you can see that most of the losses were late in the season.

That's where Baron failed. He did beat some good teams, usually earlier in the season. He owned Dayton, and beat PC several times. Current coach? Pffftt....

Of course, he couldn't win the key games and his teams fell apart late.

This year, we don't have to worry about falling apart late. We're already doing it.
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

URI2006_Andy wrote: I'm not going to blame the guy [JT] for not scoring. He's in an offensive system that doesn't match his skill set.

BFC wrote: Exactly, implement an offensive system that highlights players who can't shoot and are average, at best, at finishing around the basket.

BFC - After giving more thought, you’re right. No use in complaining unless accompanied by a solution. There isn’t an offensive system in which JT will be a focal point unless he improves his shooting and/or his skills around the rim.

He’s a good complimentary guard because he can defend the opposing team’s best guard and you have to put an athlete on him defensively. But he needs to sharpen his skills and not lose focus to be a starting guard on an NCAA tournament team. If criticizing him publicly is the way to motivate him so be it. I’m sure DH knows better than we do how JT will respond to the criticism.

Still doesn’t excuse DH from getting more creative to better utilize whatever skills we do have. My suggestion since before the STL game has been transition 3s not necessarily being shot by JT.

As for the close game stats, its all about timing. Baron had a knack for losing every game that would have put us over the hump. Harrick the opposite.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, for the LAST time, some things have to change for us to win, not just in NY, but the rest of this season or any season.....

What we're doing now, isn't working.

The late game "strategy" isn't just bad, it's embarrassing. It's so bad, we might become the league laughingstock for it.

Every coach in the league has to be drooling....just play Rhody close, and at the end we will find a way to win, and they will find ways to lose.

It happens... almost EVERY time. It's getting worse, if possible.

Everyone on this board doesn't need to be a coach to see what's wrong. How can Dan not see it?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:208, for the LAST time, some things have to change for us to win, not just in NY, but the rest of this season or any season.....

What we're doing now, isn't working.

The late game "strategy" isn't just bad, it's embarrassing. It's so bad, we might become the league laughingstock for it.

Every coach in the league has to be drooling....just play Rhody close, and at the end we will find a way to win, and they will find ways to lose.

It happens... almost EVERY time. It's getting worse, if possible.

Everyone on this board doesn't need to be a coach to see what's wrong. How can Dan not see it?
Not saying there isn't room for improvement...am just saying there's still a shot there WILL be improvement. You said it yourself...'we have the talent to play with anyone in the A10...we can play with almost anybody.' That sounds like reason to think there's still a possibility for good things down the road this season.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Like I said, if Dan gets off his conservative duff, and keeps the teams' foot on the gas late in games, we will start to improve and actually win some of these games.

Stop with the timid stand around offense, which usually results in a last second on the shot clock bad shot, or no shot.

Play to win. Not to lose. Stay aggressive. Keep doing what got you the lead in the first place. A 4 point lead with 3 minutes left, as was the case at the Bonnies, is nothing.

Start playing tight, and make mistakes, and the opponent gets the momentum, it's game over. You lose!!!

The players are afraid to touch the ball, they are so tight. They stop moving. Unless you have a Bryce Cotton, or Dunn, or Napier, which we don't, hero ball won't work here. It's zero ball instead.

Move the ball, share the ball. Take the first open shot, even earlier in the shot clock. When we do that, we get better shots, and we are much more likely to win.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I've brought this up in the past - The "close games record" for any coach is typically misleading. The elite coaches are elite because they do so well recruiting, or so well coaching, that they simply don't get into as many close games. Look at Obadiah's list of the Baron years - It's not a coincidence that there are 10+ "close" games each year. I'm not sure what the average would be for Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State and other teams, but I imagine it's less than 10.