The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Blue Man »

CTRamfan wrote:Personally, whatever he does, I wish whatever decision he makes, makes him and his family happy.....

For me, cut this annual circus out, for once and for all.....We are in the company of 50 or so good programs who don't have to wade through this each year. It is not good for the program...............So, either URI is being a cheep skate, or Dan needs to man-up and commit to a decision that stops this.
Completely agree with the first part. Dan deserves the best for him, Andrea, and their family. He’s more than held up his end of the bargain and without what he did here we would have nothing. No matter what, he deserves our gratitude.

Completely disagree on the latter part. The take is wrong. This is good for the program. You just may not realize this happens because the last coach sucked so bad no one wanted him.

Whether Dan stays or goes our brand has been thrust into the national spotlight. His leverage in this negotiation will have helped push this program forward...again...no matter who is at the helm next season. Until we have an endless donor base, practice facility, and every possible program enhancement we could need, this process is the best thing to drive the program forward.

If everyone who all of a sudden realized that donating helps fund basketball had been donating for the last 6 years we wouldn’t be in a spot where our max offer to our coach, and more importantly our program, is not able to compete with the teams our basketball team could dominate on the floor.

No matter what, just for the love of god remember this feeling and think about that when you weigh the pros and cons (?) of giving to our program.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:
scine20 wrote: It's more a combination of that and his last name. If his name was John Smith and he had the exact same resume he wouldn't have gotten the Rutgers offer and schools wouldn't be lining up to interview him.
I think that is GBG trolling.

URI has been in tournament contention arguably for 4 years. It's obvious URI is recruiting at a higher level now. So things point toward actually being better and these years being his floor.

Last year's loss to Oregon or this year's loss to Duke aren't really knocks against his coaching.

The name is everything. I personally prefer a coach that is staying or leaving. Not 2 more years or something. Talking about waiting for a better job? I don't care what job he takes after URI. I don't think it is a stretch for URI to find a good coach that will want to stay at URI. I think the problem is the successful coach with the right work ethic is likely working so hard to get to the next stop.

The landscape has shifted here. Pointing to Dayton/SLU/VCU investment in basketball? Look no further than their NCAA credits. The 2 million dollar gap has to correlate to their success. Not their blind investment.
The name is nice but I think we are, mostly, past that. He has eight college years on his resume. If we are being honest, it isn't the resume that gets you hired at a top P5 job. That and the fact that this roster is turning over have to be part of the math, here. Unless he wants to be here for another five years, which seems pretty possible. He genuinely seems conflicted. I just don't necessarily buy that he can pass on these chances and wait for a top 20 job. He'll have to take another group on another nice run. Maybe '19-'20 is that team.
That's where the last name comes into play.

While obviously I don't know this I would be pretty surprised if Jay Wright left Villanova if Hurley wasn't at the top of their list. That's certainly a top job. We know he was high on Georgetown, St. John's and Rutgers's list (twice). Not that those 3 are top jobs but you get the idea. I would bet he'd also be high on schools like Maryland and Syracuse's lists as well.

Like I said, this wouldn't be the case if his name was John Smith, his father wasn't a Hall of Fame coach and his brother wasn't an all american guard from Duke who was drafted early in the first round and is now coaching a power 5 school himself.
Last edited by scine20 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody09 wrote:

Wow, big if true.
If so then the question is infrastructure.
Slava Ukraini!
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

ATPTourFan wrote:That Jeff Jacobs is an embarrassment.
All of the CT media has been pretty much, except the story late yesterday from the Courant that DH was mulling his 3 options.

Glad we have Bill Koch.

*edit* And the 5 Cent Cigar, who will end up being the media outlet of choice on this matter. :)
Last edited by sandman012 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote:What does that even mean?

ETA: wait, sorry. I was caught up on "offices closed," which I cannot contextualize. But did that dude say URI "matched" UConn's offer? We have to be precise with our words here - does Stone know that? If he does, yes Big If True would be an understatement.
State offices are closed today, that said it's entirely irrelevant. With all due respect to her, I'm sure the basketball administrative assistant isn't necessary for what's taking place and I'm sure Dooley and Thorr don't have their feet up by the fire at home waiting for the snow to start
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

UConn's offer is for 5 years, URI's for 10. The per year totals aren't the same.

But URI's offer per year was much higher than I thought they could do. Also practice facility.

Neither offer comes close to what Pitt is offering. 8 years, 28 million.

Decision coming late today or tomorrow morning.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody09 wrote:

Wow, big if true.
If this is true, kmac will need to do some editing of his article this morning.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

rambone 78 wrote:UConn's offer is for 5 years, URI's for 10. The per year totals aren't the same.

But URI's offer per year was much higher than I thought they could do. Also practice facility.

Neither offer comes close to what Pitt is offering. 8 years, 28 million.

Decision coming late today or tomorrow morning.
Where do you see that?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm afraid we're in the wrong conference to keep Dan Hurley. That's my take.

Info I just got. Very specific numbers.

We still are in play, but it's not likely.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Why the hell KMac is writing about URI when he's not close to it is beyond my understanding.

@Rambone78, what the heck are you talking about?
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ATP, PM me.
sandman012
Steve Chubin

I find it hard to believe AAC is right conference, so you are guessing Pitt.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Here we go, sky falling again.

Chicago pizza sucks. Deep dish is lasagna bread.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Lasagna bread sounds delicious!

Either the A10 needs to get better or URI needs to find a way into a better conference!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

78 you can’t post that stuff w/o your source
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody1992 wrote:Not sure how we've begun talking about pizza over Hurley but to add, Westcott Pizza in West Warwick.. that's my go-to spot. So good! LOL :lol:

I'm hoping we have a decision coming today, can't take this any longer. (hoping good news obviously)
In addition to Pasquale's, I'd be remiss in not mentioning Dave's Marketplace. Their crust, sauce and cheese are fine, but it's their inventive toppings that rule, like eggplant parmesan, sausage and peppers, or prosciutto and figs, to name but 3. Pretty amazing for supermarket 'za.

(Oh, anf I'm 90% sure Danny Boy stays put. :) )
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Pete, who is your source? ;)
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:I'm afraid we're in the wrong conference to keep Dan Hurley. That's my take.

Info I just got. Very specific numbers.

We still are in play, but it's not likely.
If it’s the league there’s not much we can do about that.
Slava Ukraini!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......pizza......anything but Twisted in Wakefield....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Why do I have the personality that has to be on this board reading everything and constantly refreshing? There have been reports that he is going to stay here, go to CT, go to Pitt, maybe wait for X, and more. I wish I could just wait for one of my buddies to text me when it is announced.
Catanzaro's Cranston gets my pizza vote.
Not going to single anyone out on this board, but does anyone else think that one of us might have forgotten to take their meds today?
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Blue Man wrote:
CTRamfan wrote:Personally, whatever he does, I wish whatever decision he makes, makes him and his family happy.....

For me, cut this annual circus out, for once and for all.....We are in the company of 50 or so good programs who don't have to wade through this each year. It is not good for the program...............So, either URI is being a cheep skate, or Dan needs to man-up and commit to a decision that stops this.
Completely agree with the first part. Dan deserves the best for him, Andrea, and their family. He’s more than held up his end of the bargain and without what he did here we would have nothing. No matter what, he deserves our gratitude.

Completely disagree on the latter part. The take is wrong. This is good for the program. You just may not realize this happens because the last coach sucked so bad no one wanted him.

Whether Dan stays or goes our brand has been thrust into the national spotlight. His leverage in this negotiation will have helped push this program forward...again...no matter who is at the helm next season. Until we have an endless donor base, practice facility, and every possible program enhancement we could need, this process is the best thing to drive the program forward.

If everyone who all of a sudden realized that donating helps fund basketball had been donating for the last 6 years we wouldn’t be in a spot where our max offer to our coach, and more importantly our program, is not able to compete with the teams our basketball team could dominate on the floor.

No matter what, just for the love of god remember this feeling and think about that when you weigh the pros and cons (?) of giving to our program.
By program I meant the players, recruits, assistant coaches, in addition to the University being pictured as easy to plunder.

I've posted many replies to the small endowment here, and have done my part for 33 seasons. My name is in the lobby of The Ryan Center.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:.....how old is Coach Hurley?.......How long does he want to coach?.......didn’t someone here, Rod?a ways back mention that Dan couldn’t see himself coaching forever.......?
A whole slew of people in in Jim Baron 2.0 February 2017 didn’t want him at URI much at all.
What a difference 13 months makes for a lot of people
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I hate this he said she said stuff. It's like finding out who has a crush on you in elementary school.
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Y’mean Dooley doesn’t have sources?

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... leys-plans
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

UConn board....very entertaining..

...... A decision is in-
Daniel S. Hurley saw his shadow at 9:59 a.m!

6 more weeks of no coach?
NickA
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NickA »

Rhody74 wrote:
Rhody09 wrote:

Wow, big if true.
Anyone remember the tweet? It's deleted
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

rambone 78 wrote:ATP, PM me.

can you please elaborate.... and let everyone know...
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

NickA wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:
Rhody09 wrote:

Wow, big if true.
It was the one that said the URI basketball office was closed today (along with the rest of the university officially) he corrected with a follow up. It included a statement about matching the UCONN offer
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody09 wrote:

Oh man, that's hilarious!

Your coffee can be to go, but not you, Coach Hurley!
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Seems Dooley confirming that Hurley has yet to make a final decision.
Hope he stays!! But it the deciding factor is ACC /Power 5 conference ties at Pitt
we can't do anything about that.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

NickA wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:
Rhody09 wrote:

Wow, big if true.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CTRamfan wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

By program I meant the players, recruits, assistant coaches, in addition to the University being pictured as easy to plunder.

I've posted many replies to the small endowment here, and have done my part for 33 seasons. My name is in the lobby of The Ryan Center.
Absolutely right Blueman.
Back in the day when Penders left, Skinner left, Harrick left.....there was plenty os similar talk about being tired of coaches leaving. URI opted for the safe route, Jim Baron - Coach for Life. Enuf said. And even he held URI hostage over a possible move to Virginia Tech - please

Just a year ago and even 6 months ago many here never would have thought Hurley could be in a 2.5 to 3.5 million dollar bidding war. Dan Hurley is right now demonstrating to the college basketball world, including Keaney Blue, what his market value is.

Just a few months ago many here dismissed the idea of a Practice Facility, and if we got one it would have to be on the cheap side.

Hurley is making his points, scoring his points. Saying to URI Administration what he believes needs to be done to have a superior basketball program. He knows how to play his cards.
Maybe he goes to the ACC, maybe he goes to the AAC or maybe he stays at URI. But a stay at URI is going to include some plans, investments, charter flights, whirlpools, practice facility the likes of which many here would have scoffed at and said was impossible. He is as always playing his hand masterfully. Dooley and Thorr know this is very serious business now. Contacting prospective donors, politicians, etc about the future. 2 NCAA Tournaments along with Top 25 rankings , plus zero scholastic issues, happy players, all make for a Head Coach who could right now be the best Head Coach prospect in the country.

Dan Hurley holds ALL the cards right now. Good for him, he and his family deserve this.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

CTRamfan wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

Then you are one of the good ones CTR! We need more like you. Last few sentences were directed at the people still wondering if their donations matter, you certainly do not fit in that category.

I am sure Dan has been keeping the staff/players in the loop the whole way. Usually these firestorms play themselves out outside of our locker room.
Last edited by Blue Man 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Boneyard just said theyd rather live in New Haven than in Newport. IM DONE ahahahahhahahaaa
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

lol
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

rhodysurf wrote:Boneyard just said theyd rather live in New Haven than in Newport. IM DONE ahahahahhahahaaa

now that is comical :lol:

LOVE RI and NEWPORT !
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i used to love in new haven.. don't anymore..

but what a farce of a statement
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

rhodysurf wrote:Boneyard just said theyd rather live in New Haven than in Newport. IM DONE ahahahahhahahaaa
Hahaha that has to be a joke.
Clapton is God
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

if there's 1 thing Craptasticut leads the nation in, its delusion.

they are the 'fly over state' of New England.

Its the nondescript wasteland of construction and cities you hold your breath going through you pass to get from NYC to New England.
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

The only people that like New Haven more than Newport are drug dealers. More prospects there.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Hurley should have a press conference and say "you don't leave Newport for New Haven." With Bob Sr. in the background shaking his head.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Sorry Conn natives and residents, but RI>Conn times my money lost at your casinos.
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm not even huge on Newport and I know that's galactically stupid
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I am hoping for 3 things today

1) to get pizza to wait this storm out tonight (based on posts and reminders I think I'm between Uncle Tony's in Cranston, Frank and John's in EG, or Pier just to keep the south county juju flowing)

2) for this thread to make it to page 69 so I can use a south park "nice" meme.

3) ...is there something I'm forgetting to hope for?

Give to Rhody's NIL
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Pitt has the same amount of elite 8 apperances as URI the last 30 years. I can’t imagine going there because you want to win a national championship.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Can I just acknowledge the fact I think the sky is falling rumor train on this thread has been hilarious:

First, it was UConn's offer was too strong for us to match and there's no way he will stay here. It was a done deal before we even won vs. Oklahoma.

Then, Pitt was in play and there's no way he goes to UConn because "money talks."

Now, rumor is URI matched UConn's offer and both the A10 and AAC are just too weak a conference for him to stay and there's no way he doesn't jump to the ACC.

I think, overwhelmingly, people are underestimating the positives of what he has here and underselling the negatives of going elsewhere. Maybe he does go for the money, who knows. But I doubt it. Out of all 3 jobs, the situation is clearly most favorable here for the next 4 seasons if you don't take his paycheck into consideration. And if the rumor that we nearly matched UConn is true, I don't think he's worried about where his pay structure is going here.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
if there's 1 thing Craptasticut leads the nation in, its delusion.

they are the 'fly over state' of New England.

Its the nondescript wasteland of construction and cities you hold your breath going through you pass to get from NYC to New England.
I went to law school in New York and used to go back and forth from the City to Rhode Island a lot going 95/Merritt, and now I live in Boston and go see my in-laws in upstate NY via 84. I can confirm that there is literally never a good time or a good way to go thru that God-forsaken place.

It is definitely the "drive-thru" state of New England, and they aren't even good at that. Construction and traffic at all hours, no good places to stop and get food, nothing to look at while you're driving, nothing interesting to get off the highway to do. Oh, and traffic. Endless, ceaseless, day-ruining, needless traffic. The very southeastern corner is a semi-adequate commuter suburb for New York City if you can't afford to or don't have enough taste to live in Westchester, but that is about it. It isn't the worst state in the country because the Union won the war and we are saddled with the deep south, but it is by far the worst state north of the Mason-Dixon line, and that includes gross-ass Pennsylvania.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote:I am hoping for 3 things today

1) to get pizza to wait this storm out tonight (based on posts and reminders I think I'm between Uncle Tony's in Cranston, Frank and John's in EG, or Pier just to keep the south county juju flowing)

2) for this thread to make it to page 69 so I can use a south park "nice" meme.

3) ...is there something I'm forgetting to hope for?
4) a good ol' fashioned fired up, take no prisoners, the caps lock button is broken Blue Man celebratory rant
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

If we get him back. Raise the buyout! Double it!

And if he balks because I think they lowered it last time. Stomp your foot on the ground. He understands the foot stomp means business.

Go Rhody!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry