12/6 | Brown | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: 12/6 | Brown | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by jcru »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago
jcru wrote: 5 months ago Can he play defense? That really is the only question now.
Right now? Not really. But who else do we have? Not like he is being eased in. He's a freshman big. Question is, can he get better.
Yeah, so he's a freshman. since when does being a freshman entitle you to starters minutes and no questions asked? He should be coming off the bench while he's learning.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago
jcru wrote: 5 months ago Can he play defense? That really is the only question now.
Right now? Not really. But who else do we have? Not like he is being eased in. He's a freshman big. Question is, can he get better.
Yeah, so he's a freshman. since when does being a freshman entitle you to starters minutes and no questions asked? He should be coming off the bench while he's learning.
So who should start? Fuchs averages 20 minutes a game. He has more points per game than Brown and Foumena. He has better(although horrible) FT % than both. And he has more rebounds per game. These three play basically the exact same minutes and this dude is a freshman. Give him some time.
Last edited by theblueram 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If Fuchs was born on the mean streets of Chicago, he'd be a monster. I agree. With his body and a killer instinct and attitude, he would have never come here. He would have been one and done for the NBA.

But Fuchs comes from Austria, where footie ball is King, and the name of the game is drama queen. Hold your knee and yell as you roll around on the pitch.

I saw in one game where he got the slightest bump from a smaller player and he just fell backwards, basically out of bounds, you could have yelled "timber" he fell like a redwood, backwards, in slow motion. I don't know what the point of that was, if perhaps where he comes from, you get a call from the official for that performance. But that was while we were on offense, and he fell like that, and all 9 other players raced down the other end of the court, he basically eliminated himself from the play all together. He didn't get back down there, I want to say for a long time, but I believe he didn't get back at all.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago

So who should start?
Right now? After that game? I'd probably start Ray Allen III just to send a message. In place of Fuchs? Weston maybe? Hell throw Rory in there, until he proves otherwise.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What about Jeremy Foumena what do you guys think of his play so far ??
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I've liked his play so far. He's a little inconsistent, but they are ALL a little inconsistent. Someone mentioned he only uses one hand. If that's the biggest complaint...
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The All "F U" Team:

Cam
Allen
Dubs
Bilau
Fou

everyone else either subs in... or doesn't
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I want dubs in with the A team - the time has come to take a look outside garbage time

Archie mentions dubs every presser and nothing
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago If Fuchs was born on the mean streets of Chicago, he'd be a monster. I agree. With his body and a killer instinct and attitude, he would have never come here. He would have been one and done for the NBA.

But Fuchs comes from Austria, where footie ball is King, and the name of the game is drama queen. Hold your knee and yell as you roll around on the pitch.

I saw in one game where he got the slightest bump from a smaller player and he just fell backwards, basically out of bounds, you could have yelled "timber" he fell like a redwood, backwards, in slow motion. I don't know what the point of that was, if perhaps where he comes from, you get a call from the official for that performance. But that was while we were on offense, and he fell like that, and all 9 other players raced down the other end of the court, he basically eliminated himself from the play all together. He didn't get back down there, I want to say for a long time, but I believe he didn't get back at all.
This is, this is something.

I don’t know what, but quite the post.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago
SGreenwell wrote: 5 months ago We're 322nd in steals per game, and teams are only averaging 8.8 turnovers per game against us. We're 294th in fouls per game, which seems good on the surface, but suggests we're being too passive on defense because we're not generating steals, blocks (227th), or especially low shooting percentages (109th in opponent 2-point percentage, but 274th in opponent 3-point percentage). I'm dubious that a full-time press would be effective for us - we're not deep enough, and we're not *that* athletic of a team - but some situational usage or going fullcourt man from time to time might get the players more locked in, in general.
This nails it on the head. Our biggest issue right now is how hard we play especially on defensive side of ball. We aren’t making anyone uncomfortable. Very few live ball turnovers.
We let Lilly dictate that game.

In Dan’s early years we were not there from a talent standpoint but the team played hard and defensively were miles ahead of this group in terms of making other teams uncomfortable. This group has the athleticism both on the perimeter and inside to be a much better defensive team. The pack line is the slack line thus far IMO. And to make matters worse we have guys like Jaden, Zek, Weston who would thrive more in an uptempo game vs half court. But if you can’t rebound or create turnovers you can’t run.
Nailed it...all of Dan's teams played 'make you uncomfortable D', or as casual fan would say, 'that looks like it would suck to play against.'
Regardless of overall talent, the D almost always looked like that. Rhody's D right now, does not look annoying to play against, it sometimes looks more like...hey, you have 30 seconds, pick your shot...y'know, whatever you'd like

ETA...but, thinking about it...this is also kinda evidence of the massive upgrade from last year. Last year, all that was discussed was the lack of speed, height, hops (lol, 'a Malik'), shooting, talent, etc. whereas, this year there's less discussion about that and there's more discussion about actual execution. The guys on this year's team could do more, but the guys from last year's team would never even be able to do this. Under any circumstances. I guess that's a positive step?
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

reef wrote: 5 months ago What about Jeremy Foumena what do you guys think of his play so far ??
I like his baby hook going across the lane a lot, but, it appears that has disappeared from the game plan. (as has Kortright down low and high, low big man game)

He loses his balance too easily and clearly needs more strength to play more effective minutes. His reaction to loose balls seems slow. Kinda of surprised that with a year off last year, he was not a lot stronger this year. Makes me wonder if he has the necessary dedication or simply does not have the body to carry more strength. No need to mention his free throw shooting.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago If Fuchs was born on the mean streets of Chicago, he'd be a monster. I agree. With his body and a killer instinct and attitude, he would have never come here. He would have been one and done for the NBA.

WTF...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
SGreenwell wrote: 5 months ago We're 322nd in steals per game, and teams are only averaging 8.8 turnovers per game against us. We're 294th in fouls per game, which seems good on the surface, but suggests we're being too passive on defense because we're not generating steals, blocks (227th), or especially low shooting percentages (109th in opponent 2-point percentage, but 274th in opponent 3-point percentage). I'm dubious that a full-time press would be effective for us - we're not deep enough, and we're not *that* athletic of a team - but some situational usage or going fullcourt man from time to time might get the players more locked in, in general.
This nails it on the head. Our biggest issue right now is how hard we play especially on defensive side of ball. We aren’t making anyone uncomfortable. Very few live ball turnovers.

In Dan’s early years we were not there from a talent standpoint but the team played hard and defensively were miles ahead of this group in terms of making other teams uncomfortable. This group has the athleticism both on the perimeter and inside to be a much better defensive team. The pack line is the slack line thus far IMO. And to make matters worse we have guys like Jaden, Zek, Weston who would thrive more in an uptempo game vs half court. But if you can’t rebound or create turnovers you can’t run.
Nailed it...all of Dan's teams played 'make you uncomfortable D', or as casual fan would say, 'that looks like it would suck to play against.'
Regardless of overall talent, the D almost always looked like that. Rhody's D right now, does not look annoying to play against, it sometimes looks more like...hey, you have 30 seconds, pick your shot...y'know, whatever you'd like

ETA...but, thinking about it...this is also kinda evidence of the massive upgrade from last year. Last year, all that was discussed was the lack of speed, height, hops (lol, 'a Malik'), shooting, talent, etc. whereas, this year there's less discussion about that and there's more discussion about actual execution. The guys on this year's team could do more, but the guys from last year's team would never even be able to do this. Under any circumstances. I guess that's a positive step?
Granted Dan was over the top at times, but I loved his fire and intensity and the team seemed to have taken on his personality.
We can probably use some of that now.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

When comparing coaches, keep in mind that, Dan, while here, was late in the maturing process of maturing into a great coach, imho anyway. In other words, he came into his own while here. Then, he validated his rise to great not long into his UConn tenure and is now in the process of cementing it in to place permanently.

Dan is a generational coach - the best or one of the best of his generation.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago

Granted Dan was over the top at times, but I loved his fire and intensity and the team seemed to have taken on his personality.
We can probably use some of that now.
And I guess that would translate into some fiery defense. As much as I'm not a huge fan of it...obnoxious D can be really helpful.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Back in the day when guys stayed for 4 years, it usually took 3 to 4 years for us to become good as juniors and seniors.

With the transfer rules now you can get good right away with talented upperclassmen from other programs.

I believe that is the only way we will be good again. And that will take plenty of NIL money.

In other words, good luck with that.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

But who in our league is “getting good that way”? The 2 best teams thus far - Dayton and Duquesne - returned a ton of talent from previous season. Dayton has key players who were recruited there out of high school and are still there (Holmes and Brea). What A10 team is “good” with a whole new 10 guys from whom they had last year? By good I mean top 2-3 with a realistic post season opportunity.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Definitely an area for big improvement.

Zek Montgomery has 1 steal all year long. That came in the 1st game of the year against Central Connecticut State. He has not had a steal since then in 8 straight games. Not one.

Fuchs and Weston have 5 steals. Kortright and House have 6 steals. Estevez has 3. Brown lets the team with 10.

For a guy of Zek's height, experience being a Junior and minutes played I'd think he would be a leader on the team in steals, not at the bottom.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago But who in our league is “getting good that way”? The 2 best teams thus far - Dayton and Duquesne - returned a ton of talent from previous season. Dayton has key players who were recruited there out of high school and are still there (Holmes and Brea). What A10 team is “good” with a whole new 10 guys from whom they had last year? By good I mean top 2-3 with a realistic post season opportunity.
nm
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago When comparing coaches, keep in mind that, Dan, while here, was late in the maturing process of maturing into a great coach, imho anyway. In other words, he came into his own while here. Then, he validated his rise to great not long into his UConn tenure and is now in the process of cementing it in to place permanently.

Dan is a generational coach - the best or one of the best of his generation.
Yes sir ! Maybe hall of fame some day in Springfield , already has a Natty !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago But who in our league is “getting good that way”? The 2 best teams thus far - Dayton and Duquesne - returned a ton of talent from previous season. Dayton has key players who were recruited there out of high school and are still there (Holmes and Brea). What A10 team is “good” with a whole new 10 guys from whom they had last year? By good I mean top 2-3 with a realistic post season opportunity.
Yeah that’s the thing you get 5 new players out of your top 6 and you throw them together and try and make it work , it takes time to gel and the players you get may not be as good as you originally thought !!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

One thing about Fuchs I will say does tie back to Archie. Fuchs is SLOWWW for a 4. He actually looked serviceable as a 5.

Archie’s best teams were 4 guards and a big. The best team on the floor against brown was four guards and a big - both with and without Fuchs.

Fuchs isn’t a 4. The way the game has evolved has prioritized speed and skill at the old PF position. He’s too slow to stay with a Hopkins or a Holmes. So why Archie keeps trying to jam square peg in round hole is beyond me.

Please make changes Archie. I can’t live with another pointless lost season defending this wall.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

This^ is why we left ourselves vulnerable to a loss to Brown.

Not aggressive enough offensively or defensively. All you have to do is impose your will on inferior athletes and you win.

That's how Dan dominated the A-10. Superior athletes and effort....talent too, but we had several games where we couldn't hit lay ups or hit a jump shot, but we stayed in it because we out hustled and out athleted everyone.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago One thing about Fuchs I will say does tie back to Archie. Fuchs is SLOWWW for a 4. He actually looked serviceable as a 5.

Archie’s best teams were 4 guards and a big. The best team on the floor against brown was four guards and a big - both with and without Fuchs.

Fuchs isn’t a 4. The way the game has evolved has prioritized speed and skill at the old PF position. He’s too slow to stay with a Hopkins or a Holmes. So why Archie keeps trying to jam square peg in round hole is beyond me.

Please make changes Archie. I can’t live with another pointless lost season defending this wall.
That's what it is

It's Fuchs' slowness...seriously

I know everybody has been shitting on your Fuchs takes, but he just takes the team out of any flow. He does make some nice plays! It's not all bad, but when he is out their everything the team does slows down, especially when paired with Brown...or any other big. By himself at the 5 I think he's fine, otherwise we clogs the hell out of the lane and plays develop super slowly with them...then he misses lay ups.

We are just much crisper when he's off the floor...

He might legit need to lose some weight to get quicker.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago One thing about Fuchs I will say does tie back to Archie. Fuchs is SLOWWW for a 4. He actually looked serviceable as a 5.

That's what it is

I know everybody has been shitting on your Fuchs takes, but he just takes the team out of any flow. He does make some nice plays! It's not all bad, but when he is out their everything the team does slows down, especially when paired with Brown...or any other big. By himself at the 5 I think he's fine, otherwise we clogs the hell out of the lane and plays develop super slowly with them...then he misses lay ups.

All you guys make great points about the double bigs not working , none of the 4 can consistently hit a 20 footer which creates poor spacing
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The double bigs worked at times not because of their mid range game, but rather the high low from the top of the key. It’s actually worked a significant amount considering it’s not done often. But I didn’t see one decent mid range jumper from anyone vs brown. This team is too dependent on taking it to the rim, and for a horrible FT shooting team, that’s a bad strategy cotton.
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago The double bigs worked at times not because of their mid range game, but rather the high low from the top of the key. It’s actually worked a significant amount considering it’s not done often. But I didn’t see one decent mid range jumper from anyone vs brown. This team is too dependent on taking it to the rim, and for a horrible FT shooting team, that’s a bad strategy cotton.
Don't forget the "low number + low make rate" on 3's, that seems to be part of the strategy, too
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago The double bigs worked at times not because of their mid range game, but rather the high low from the top of the key. It’s actually worked a significant amount considering it’s not done often. But I didn’t see one decent mid range jumper from anyone vs brown. This team is too dependent on taking it to the rim, and for a horrible FT shooting team, that’s a bad strategy cotton.
Mid range is the worst shot in basketball and we have done a good job of minimizing our takes this year. Guys like Jalen and even Ish shot a lot of them and that was 1 reason our offense was so bad last year. In reality and by the metrics.

I don’t mind the high low at times and I do think Fuchs, Foumena and Bilau can all hit that 15 footer if the D sags. But it shouldn’t be a primary shot in our offense.

I agree we should be playing more small ball with 1 center/paint occupier and 4 perimeter players.

I’m also old enough to remember when numerous posters wanted us to play both Mitchells. That shit don’t work unless it’s surrounded by 3 jimmy barons who can space the floor. House, Montgomery, Kortright need driving lanes to be effective. That’s tough with 2 guys who primarily want to occupy paint space.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

reef wrote: 5 months ago What about Jeremy Foumena what do you guys think of his play so far ??
Has the skills but doesn’t have a left hand hook shot to save his life
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago

That's what it is

Archie obviously wanted Fuchs to fit in as a 4.
With Brown, Foumena, and Bilau basically holding down the 5, there was very limited minutes for Fuchs there.
And after all his pre-season build-up and hype the 4 would be the logical spot for him, especially since they felt he can handle the ball and had a decent mid-range game.
I was hoping Rory would get some rotation minutes because of his ability to stretch it, but that isn't the case.
Need to also remember that the international game is played at a much slower and more methodical pace than here.
That does put Fuchs behind, and he probably hasn't caught up to the speed of Div.1 yet.

Anyway, I am still optimistic going forward, because we do have potential and there is talent on our roster.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RI_Bred wrote: 5 months ago Just like everyone else I want URI to be instantly successful. This is the world we live in now, and instant gratification is not a phenomenon pressed only on our younger generation(s) these days via social media and access to anything in seconds at the tip of your finger and in your pocket...

But that ain't real-world when it comes to sports...or anything else...

I think we all, including me, have to remind ourselves of this frequently. Yes, we should expect steady progress over time. But it's not gonna be this year or likely even next that URI men's hoops is really competitive. Hard to swallow, but it's a four year process at a minimum, if the chips fall on the right side of the line. Fourth year, we aren't at the top of the league and competing for a legit bid, that's a problem.
I think it USED to be a 4 year process. You get 4 recruiting classes and grow together. But with the large turnover of the roster every year due to the portal, that isn't happening anymore. Now it's get the right players and get them to gel as a team quickly. Things have changed. I hate it, but they have.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago
RI_Bred wrote: 5 months ago Just like everyone else I want URI to be instantly successful. This is the world we live in now, and instant gratification is not a phenomenon pressed only on our younger generation(s) these days via social media and access to anything in seconds at the tip of your finger and in your pocket...

I think we all, including me, have to remind ourselves of this frequently. Yes, we should expect steady progress over time. But it's not gonna be this year or likely even next that URI men's hoops is really competitive. Hard to swallow, but it's a four year process at a minimum, if the chips fall on the right side of the line. Fourth year, we aren't at the top of the league and competing for a legit bid, that's a problem.
I think it USED to be a 4 year process. You get 4 recruiting classes and grow together. But with the large turnover of the roster every year due to the portal, that isn't happening anymore. Now it's get the right players and get them to gel as a team quickly. Things have changed. I hate it, but they have.
i'm with you. i used to think this way too until very recently. it's 2 - 3 years now to get your more established guys via the portal and whatever recruits you want to sprinkle in there.

tick tock.
:lol:
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago

78, I think to a certain extent you are right, the dynamics have changed, but still for the mid-major's sudden success isn't going to come overnight.
Never did I think this year's team was ready to compete for a conference title or an at-large.
I think for programs like ours we still need to retain core players in order to be successful the following season.
Like I have been saying all along, we should hopefully see that for us in 24-25, at least making that huge jump.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think the mid range can arguably be the best shot in basketball. Especially for a team like URI who don’t dominate from the arc and can have issues at the rim. Zek has been good from mid range. The spacing needs to be better.
GO RAMS
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago I think the mid range can arguably be the best shot in basketball. Especially for a team like URI who don’t dominate from the arc and can have issues at the rim. Zek has been good from mid range. The spacing needs to be better.
Agree. Somewhat of a lost art for many players/teams in my opinion.
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RI_Bred wrote: 5 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago I think the mid range can arguably be the best shot in basketball. Especially for a team like URI who don’t dominate from the arc and can have issues at the rim. Zek has been good from mid range. The spacing needs to be better.
It’s the worst shot in basketball.
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

All the numbers say otherwise.

Jalen Carey was the king of the midrange. At the rim and behind the arc are where the game is played.
We only struggled at the rim against Northwestern and Wash State. PC didn't bother us at the rim and Brown certainly didn't.

Zek has passed up numerous open 3 pt looks and he needs to start taking those. Same for House and Estevez. Have to be a threat from deep to open up lanes.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

There is kind of a hierarchy of shots, if you will. It goes something like:

Layup / Dunk
Open 3 by 35+ percent shooter, or attacking drive or post-up for 2
Open 2 by 40+ percent shooter
Strongly contested 2
Strongly contested 3

Part of the reason the open 3 has become such an emphasis point isn't just because guys make them - It's because it stretches the defense out. A wing can't sneak into the paint to help on a drive or a post-up if he has to worry about his guy hitting a 3. The peak Warriors teams made plenty of 3s, but they also had plenty of dunks and layups.

It's not that an open 2 is an inherently bad shot, it's just that more good things happen on open 3s (worth 1 more point), and drives to the bucket and post-ups (you draw fouls, which can have a cascade effect on the opponent's rotation). You typically don't draw fouls on midrange jumpers - see the FT rate for guys like Ron Mercer and Rip Hamilton, vs. all-star players from their years in the league.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

What a terrible take. The midrange open shot is money basketball. Opens up the arc and the post. Defenses don’t know what to do. Three dimensions of attack vs 2.

Of course we went 15-31 on unguarded midrange shots the other night so there’s that.

Agree the open looks our best shooters pass up is puzzling.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

How many open midrange shots do u think are there in a D1 game. Not many. Most are gonna end up being contested end of shot clock type stuff.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
Why? Please qualify your statement.
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

It's straightforward. 3 pts are more than 2. A layup and a dunk are much easier to make than a mid-range shot. The mid-range area is called "the dead zone" ....There have been multiple studies on this. The mid-range jumper is the worst shot in basketball.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago It's straightforward. 3 pts are more than 2. A layup and a dunk are much easier to make than a mid-range shot. The mid-range area is called "the dead zone" ....There have been multiple studies on this. The mid-range jumper is the worst shot in basketball.
Maybe so. But for this team the last few years, the worst shot is the drive to the hoop head down shot at the rim that gets swatted back at them. I would rather see the stop and pop 10 footer or better yet how about kicking it out for an open 3.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Forget the mid range

More four guard lineups please! Stop clogging the lane! Space that floor!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ram1980 wrote: 5 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago It's straightforward. 3 pts are more than 2. A layup and a dunk are much easier to make than a mid-range shot. The mid-range area is called "the dead zone" ....There have been multiple studies on this. The mid-range jumper is the worst shot in basketball.
Maybe so. But for this team the last few years, the worst shot is the drive to the hoop head down shot at the rim that gets swatted back at them. I would rather see the stop and pop 10 footer or better yet how about kicking it out for an open 3.
I think we took many mid-range shots last year with Ish and Carey. Admittedly, some players can do it—Dowtin, for example, and DeRozan is another good example. However, I don't think the solution to our problems lies in having Fouemena, Bilau, and Fuchs take more elbow jumpers at the top of the key. Our strength lies in driving to the hoop.

House isn't a jump shooter.

Zek, on the other hand, is a solid 3-point shooter, and I prefer to see him taking those shots over mid-range attempts.

Fuchs has a solid touch under the hoop, and I'd rather have him take those shots.

Foumena is best in the post and putbacks from offensive rebounds

Brown can't shoot

Bilau has a beautiful post-game and is quicker than he seems. He can hit the elbow jumper but I prefer him posting guys up.

Luis isn't a proficient shooter. It's more effective to post him up and attack the hoop.

Weston does have a decent mid-range game, so I wouldn't mind some designed plays for him, but he doesn't see the floor

Cam should see the floor and when he does, we want him to take 3PT shots

We must acknowledge our team's strengths. If we start relying heavily on mid-range shots, we won't win another game.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Ok

Math time. Agree 3 is more than 2. Basketball is a geometry game. Bunch of straight lines with a circle tossed in. So y’all are suggesting as an offense you won’t contest 2/3 of that space inside the circle? You’re gonna completely give it to me as a defense?

Brilliant.

Jeez sometimes this place comes up with some beautiful stuff.

😂 🤣
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah unless you have a DeRozan or a Jaylen Brown the mid range shot isn’t to effective, I’d rather see us moving the ball around and finding ways to get Zek more open 3s
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

The worst shot is a shot taken by a player who is not comfortable taking or comfortable making that particular shot. So if a player is more comfortable taking a mid-range jumper and will make it at a much higher clip then a shot from deeper, then that's a good shot I want him taking. (See the former Rip Hamilton or current Damar DeRozan in the NBA.) I'll take a made mid-range shot over a missed shot from anywhere.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Why? Please qualify your statement.
Google it, it’s well known.

Every single analytic proves it.
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 5 months ago

The worst shot is a shot taken by a player who is not comfortable taking or comfortable making that particular shot. So if a player is more comfortable taking a mid-range jumper and will make it at a much higher clip then a shot from deeper, then that's a good shot I want him taking. (See the former Rip Hamilton or current Damar DeRozan in the NBA.) I'll take a made mid-range shot over a missed shot from anywhere.
So you’ve named two players out of hundreds.

Seems like it’s a bad shot with that ratio.

And yea genius, a made shot is better than a missed shot.

Thanks for that, had no idea.
Last edited by Rhody15 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody