2019-20 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: 2019-20 Bracketology

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Palm must have had an epiphany yesterday (or he read my ranting). His updated bracket has URI as a 10 seed and Purdue as First 4 out.
I'd rather be a 10 than an 8 or 9. Much better chance of moving to the second weekend.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I agree with TP and reef if the two losses are Davidson and Dayton. If that happens (14-4) and Richmond loses one of 6 remaining games, Rhody finishes second in the A10. Making it to the A10 Finals would eliminate any jitters. I also think the SLU game at home is more important than the Davidson game. Would love to see Rhody go 15-3 but the way Davidson played at SBU on Friday scares me.

Richmond doesn’t have any definite losses on their schedule but they do have several games they could potentially lose - at Duquesne, at Bonnies, Davidson and Mason.

Bracket Matrix has Rhody in 91 of the 93 brackets they track.

I know we want the highest seed possible but the path to the Sweet 16 is much easier from a 10 or 11 seed than it is from a 8 or 9 seed. The bracket mentioned above had Rhody playing Marquette. I would take that game.
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Palm must have had an epiphany yesterday (or he read my ranting). His updated bracket has URI as a 10 seed and Purdue as First 4 out.
I'd rather be a 10 than an 8 or 9. Much better chance of moving to the second weekend.
Agreed Red. Although if we move to 7/10 you know we are in Duke's bracket.
RamFaninSF
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamFaninSF »

I watched BYU for the first time this year, and they not that good! How they are ranked 21st is mind-boggling. They do have a few 25-year-old bigs that could present us a matchup issue, but Fatts and Jeff would lock down their guards.

They're riding the fact that they played both SDSU and Kansas, which has kept their metrics a little inflated. One of their two Q1 wins is a 1-point win at Houston before Thanksgiving. Not saying it doesn't count, but they are both completely different teams at this point.
Last edited by RamFaninSF 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RamFaninSF wrote: 4 years ago I watched BYU for the first time this year, and they not that good! How they are ranked 21st is mind-boggling. They do have a few 25-year-old bigs that could pose a matchup issue, but Fatts and Jeff would lock down their guards.

They're riding the fact that they played both SDSU and Kansas, which has kept their metrics a little inflated. One of their two Q1 wins is a 1-point win at Houston before Thanksgiving. Not saying it doesn't count, but those completely different teams at this point.

BYU has another good finesse team as they usually do. They are a little more balanced and less reliant on the three than they usually are. They have been playing well. I'd put them over us right now because they have won 6 straight including a win over St Mary's.

There is an off chance that we make the top 25 if we win our next 3 going into that Dayton game.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I agree with TP and reef if the two losses are Davidson and Dayton. If that happens (14-4) and Richmond loses one of 6 remaining games, Rhody finishes second in the A10. Making it to the A10 Finals would eliminate any jitters. I also think the SLU game at home is more important than the Davidson game. Would love to see Rhody go 15-3 but the way Davidson played at SBU on Friday scares me.

Richmond doesn’t have any definite losses on their schedule but they do have several games they could potentially lose - at Duquesne, at Bonnies, Davidson and Mason.

I know we want the highest seed possible but the path to the Sweet 16 is much easier from a 10 or 11 seed than it is from a 8 or 9 seed. The bracket mentioned above had Rhody playing Marquette. I would take that game.

83 in your scenario we would tie richmond at 14-4 in second place. they get the tie breaker.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I agree with TP and reef if the two losses are Davidson and Dayton. If that happens (14-4) and Richmond loses one of 6 remaining games, Rhody finishes second in the A10. Making it to the A10 Finals would eliminate any jitters. I also think the SLU game at home is more important than the Davidson game. Would love to see Rhody go 15-3 but the way Davidson played at SBU on Friday scares me.

83 in your scenario we would tie richmond at 14-4 in second place. they get the tie breaker.
Correct. Richmond would need to lose two games or Rhody would need to finish 15-3.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Sorry if this was already posted. Joe Lunardi has us as a 9 seed in the Midwest facing Wisconsin (not that opponents matter at this point). We'll know in just under 4 weeks!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URI is 93 out of 94 brackets reported by Bracket Matrix.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago URI is 93 out of 94 brackets reported by Bracket Matrix.
And the one guy that has them out has the most dogshit bracket I've ever seen, so I'm not too worried.
steviep123
Sly Williams

From the Athletic's Bubble Watch, which is from yesterday morning so apologies if this was already posted and doesn't account for Dayton at VCU last night.

Locks: San Diego State, Gonzaga, Dayton
Should be in: BYU, Rhode Island
Work to do: Saint Mary’s, Northern Iowa, Utah State, East Tennessee State, Richmond, VCU

Rhode Island (19-6, 11-2; NET: 32, SOS: 44): Let’s bump the Rams up to “should be in,” eh? They’ve lost one game since Jan. 8, last Tuesday’s trip to Dayton, which, hey: forgiven. There’s still a chance for a bad loss or two (at Fordham on Feb. 26, at UMass on March 7), but generally speaking Rhode Island looks like it should fairly safely get in the tournament, probably as a single-digit seed.

Richmond (19-6, 9-3; NET: 45, SOS: 84): The Spiders didn’t just beat their crosstown rivals VCU at the Robins Center on Saturday night — they ran them off the floor. Whatever that says about the Rams, it also says a lot about Chris Mooney’s team, which arrived at this season with minimal expectations and has gradually put itself in the thick of the NCAA Tournament mix. There is a lot of work to do, for sure; you would think UR needs to win in its next four (George Mason, at Saint Bonaventure, at GW, UMass) to sustain its hopes. But that those hopes exist at all, and not least that they may come at the expense of VCU, is a remarkable feat all its own.

VCU (17-8, 7-5; NET: 52, SOS: 68): And then there’s VCU, which, yikes. There’s nothing wrong with losing at Richmond. Richmond is good. Richmond has beaten plenty of decent teams at Richmond. But being quite that non-competitive a few miles from your own campus is not the best look. It also didn’t help solve perhaps the greatest issue with VCU’s résumé: road wins, or a lack thereof. All four of the Rams’ road wins have come against Q3 opponents. Not only does this team sheet have a 1-5 Q1 record and a 1-2 Q2 mark, but both of those wins came at home. Come to think of it, the road stuff isn’t even the primary mover here anymore. VCU might be falling off the bubble sooner rather than later. At this point, it just needs wins, full stop.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

According to the Bracket Matrix compilation of 02/18/20 projections, these are the possible at large teams outside their top 32 that are competing for the last spots:

Teams in order of Bracket Matrix selection and seeding along with D1 record and NET rank.

IN THE FIELD:
St Mary's 20-6 #36
Oklahoma 16-10 #48
URI 19-6 #32
Xavier 17-9 #39
Florida 17-9 #35
USC 19-7 #47
Wichita St 19-6 #43
Arizona St 17-8 #49
Virginia 17-7 #54
Purdue 14-13 #33
Cincinnati 17-8 #50
Georgetown 15-10 #45
North Iowa 20-4 #40
Indiana 16-9 #63
Utah State 19-7 #41

OUTSIDE THE FIELD:
Richmond 19-6 #46
Arkansas 16-10 #51
Stanford 16-9 #37
Miss St 16-9 #53
Alabama 14-11 #38
NC St 16-9 #60
Minnesota 12-12 #44
VCU 17-9 #52

Bracket Matrix Link:
http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

NET Rankings Link:
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketbal ... t-rankings
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Don’t want to make a habit of it, but rooting for PC again tonight.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Don’t want to make a habit of it, but rooting for PC again tonight.
It is so damn tough to! I watch their games, and I literally go back and fourth every possession with who I want to win. It’s torture.

If they keep winning though, they’ll be making their way into some Brackets.
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Don’t want to make a habit of it, but rooting for PC again tonight.
It is so damn tough to! I watch their games, and I literally go back and fourth every possession with who I want to win. It’s torture.

If they keep winning though, they’ll be making their way into some Brackets.
At this point we should be rooting for them against our current bubble competition (like Georgetown and Xavier), for them against a meaningless team (DePaul), and against them to get any more marquee wins (Marquette and Nova).

Credit to the Friars they played themselves onto the bubble after a disastrous OOC.

We certainly want them to keep improving their NET to help Rhody, but not get the wins that could put both teams in direct competition for a spot.

If PC goes 4-1 in the next 5, I think they're in a position for the 11 seed play in game. Can't see the committee putting them into the field of 64 with those 4 Q3/Q4 losses, but they do have a chance at 3 more Q1 wins and 2 more Q2 wins.

Must be nice to play in a conference where every single game is an opportunity to build your resume instead of a conference where 3/4 of your games can't help you get into the tournament, and 1/2 of them can kill your at large chances altogether. The Big East is a CLINIC of how to structure a conference to benefit your teams. Maybe the A-10 will look at that. Someday.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree with that if they go 4-1 and then make the BE finals they will definitely be in the conversation for sure
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I will not root for PC

And it doesn’t matter if any of you root for them or you don’t
It does not affect the outcome one iota.

I don’t understand this trying to get everyone to root one way or the other and then getting agitated if someone doesn’t go with the majority

It’s totally meaningless

Relax and just enjoy watching the games

But back you your normally scheduled show........
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Purdue amazes me. 14-13 and 7-9 with a Quad 1 record at 4-10, 3-1 in Quad 2 and 3-2 in Quad 3. three losses in a row but they still sit at 25/Kenpom and 33/NET. They have a legitimate chance to finish at or even sub .500 and make the dance. Games remaining against Michigan, Indiana, Iowa and Rutgers, which are all quad 1 with the exception of Indiana.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

NOT ME

GO HOYAS !
steviep123
Sly Williams

I'm not a fan of either team, so I'm rooting for a 0-0 tie or a flood in Capital One Arena and the game doesn't get made up.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

love it

thats a GOOD COMPROMISE
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Purdue's 3 blowout wins over Q1 UVA, Michigan State and Iowa has to be what is making their NET as high as it is.

With the way they are playing, they won't be in for much longer.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Hey, dont forget Georgetown screwed us over with Antwan Walkers transfer!

Stabbed David Cox in the back with their petty bullshit.

FUCK GTOWN

GO PEECEE
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i don't understand the people on this board that openly want PC to win this game (& the last)

i don't question that you hate PC - its not about that

what i don't understand is looking 5 moves down the line and rooting for our sworn enemy

i mean.. w/ the schedule of both teams having some tough games upcoming

those games will decide their fate

they are basically in the same place (i said basically, i know there is a difference in NET)

IF I EVER GET A CHANCE TO PUT A NAIL IN THE PC COFFIN, I AM TAKING THAT 100% OF THE TIME

i will worry about georgetown after this game

HOYA DESTROYA

I WIL NEVER ROOT FOR PC

I BLEED KEANEY BLUE
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Hey, dont forget Georgetown screwed us over with Antwan Walkers transfer!

FUCK GTOWN

GO PEECEE

sorry.. not buying this

Antwan Walker doesn't win out over PC Hatred

(Nick BAckay voice)
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

and you guys thought it was going to be a slow week w/o having any games LOL

NEVER PC

NEVER !
steviep123
Sly Williams

I gotta be honest, while I do generally dislike PC and the Big East deep down, I frankly couldn't care less about what any of them do unless we play them. I think the fact that I've been living outside of RI for nearly 20 years so I don't see constant reminders has tempered me a bit. I have to go out of my way to find PC news (which I don't go out of my way for), so they aren't constantly in my face. I have a complete lack of interest in what they do unless it directly affects URI.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Hey, dont forget Georgetown screwed us over with Antwan Walkers transfer!

FUCK GTOWN

GO PEECEE

sorry.. not buying this

(Nick BAckay voice)
Not buying either

Walker situation is small potatos 🥔 compared to the Fryuzzzz. Go read what posters on their site say about URI.
I want them to lose in every sport, every time. There are zero exceptions.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I usually find a silver lining in a PC result if they win it helps our metrics if they lose I be happy too . Tonight’s game someone gets knocked down a peg with a loss
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

I think of it like this.

Since we OWNED PC this year, I like to think of them as our whipping boy, DO OUR BIDDING AND HELP US GET A BID.

And to think every win they get helps little ol URI who OWNED them get into the tournament.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

If Georgetown got in over URI, that would bother me significantly more than if PC wins a regular season game
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

FUCK GTOWN

GO PEECEE

sorry.. not buying this

(Nick BAckay voice)
Not buying either

Walker situation is small potatos 🥔 compared to the Fryuzzzz. Go read what posters on their site say about URI.
I want them to lose in every sport, every time. There are zero exceptions.
ramster - next rounds on me !
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago If Georgetown got in over URI, that would bother me significantly more than if PC wins a regular season game

this is kind of my point - too many games on the schedule left for both these fringe bubble teams

and believe you me, i value your opinion and respect your posts

there are a ton of games left - i will worry about G'Town later

anyways.. its just chatter...

not like we have control over the outcome anyways

so, i will stick w/ rooting against PC

we'll see what happens

meanwhile -somehow i gotta get aGITA over a 19-6 team getting in vs a 500 big east team

AGITA
steviep123
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago If Georgetown got in over URI, that would bother me significantly more than if PC wins a regular season game
I have to agree with this for a couple of reasons, one of which Blue Man has mentioned in the past. If PC knocks us out it is on us. In that situation, it means we crapped the bed in the next 5 games putting us in a place that allowed it to happen. If PC goes undefeated down the stretch, it shouldn't knock us out unless we lost at least 3 of our last 5. That would be our own fault, not PC's. Plus Georgetown screwing us over with Walker may have cost us a game or two for which he would have been available. We'll never know, but at the very least he would have had many more games worth of experience and would have been a factor in some of our losses we had without him.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I’ve always said that it’s ridiculous that schools below .500 in conference that don’t win their conference tournaments are allowed to be in the tournament. There should be a hard cut off at .500 in conference, including the conference tournament.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

this is kind of my point - too many games on the schedule left for both these fringe bubble teams

A

we'll see what happens

meanwhile -somehow i gotta get aGITA over a 19-6 team getting in vs a 500 big east team

AGITA
That’s the point
Nobody has control or any impact on any outcome
So why get so frustrated about who is rooting for or against OC or any team?
Any why on this board does everyone feel that all need to always agree?
It’s ok to have different opinions, isn’t it?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

A

we'll see what happens

AGITA
That’s the point
Nobody has control or any impact on any outcome
So why get so frustrated about who is rooting for or against OC or any team?
Any why on this board does everyone feel that all need to always agree?
It’s ok to have different opinions, isn’t it?
No. Well, maybe.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And I've said this before, if URI and PC are both on the bubble, even if our numbers are slightly higher (or lower,depending on how you look at it) than PC's, there is no doubt in my mind which one the committee would take. That would be the ultimate kick in the nuts.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago And I've said this before, if URI and PC are both on the bubble, even if our numbers are slightly higher (or lower,depending on how you look at it) than PC's, there is no doubt in my mind which one the committee would take. That would be the ultimate kick in the nuts.
You are wrong about that. They are not currently close.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago And I've said this before, if URI and PC are both on the bubble, even if our numbers are slightly higher (or lower,depending on how you look at it) than PC's, there is no doubt in my mind which one the committee would take. That would be the ultimate kick in the nuts.
I'm not saying they are right now. If PC goes on a little run and does some damage in the BE tourney, they could be.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The thing that concerns me about the Spiders, is that, they can probably win out the remainder of their season. Much taller order for us, but we will see how things play out.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes UR can definitely run the table though their road trip to GW could be troublesome

I think it’s looking good for 3 teams Dayton URI and UR
steviep123
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
I'm not saying they are right now. If PC goes on a little run and does some damage in the BE tourney, they could be.
If we get to the point where the two teams are that close, it means that URI has failed and lost too many games down the stretch. While it doesn't necessarily negate your point of why the committee might choose one over the other if they are close, it would have been our own fault for falling into that position from where we currently are. It would have meant we've lost a couple of games we shouldn't.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Richmond and Providence trending towards tournament bids can only bode poorly for us if we fall apart down the stretch.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If we fall apart we are screwed anyways. I am as big of a hater of both PC and Richmond as you’re going to find here but you would have to pay me cash dollars to worry at all about two teams that are outside of the field at the moment as my teams sits comfortably inside it. This is where you want to be in late February 100 times out of 100 so looking in the rear view mirror worrying about PC and Richmond is a hard pass for me. Let them worry about us.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

These quad comparisons are not really fair when there is such a difference in where the games are played. Just looking at records is highly beneficial to the high profile conference teams that provide many q1 and q2 home games.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago These quad comparisons are not really fair when there is such a difference in where the games are played. Just looking at records is highly beneficial to the high profile conference teams that provide many q1 and q2 home games.
There is some truth to that but also some fiction.
PC is currently 6-8 in Q1 games and 2-0 in Q2 games.
Of their 14 Q1 games, 9 were on the road and 1 was on a neutral court.
They have had 4 Q1 home games and 2 Q2 home games.
Sure, that's more home games than what URI may play, but it's not like they are playing 12 Q1 home games and 4 Q1 road games.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The most balanced conference in the modern history. No easy outs, extremely high floor. Not as high as a ceiling as Big 10 or Big 12 tho.