NET 2019-2020 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Re: NET 2019-2020 Season

Unread post by RamStock »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
RamIt! wrote: 4 years ago Latest Lunardi Bracketology has the A10 as a 1 bid team ?!?!
And yet Liberty, whose best win is a neutral site win over a decent-at-best Akron team, is still in the field after falling to second place in the A-Sun.

Lunardi is a bozo.
I didn’t look at the Bracketology yet, but was this as an at large that he had Liberty in? One team has to make it from their conference?
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 4 years ago The fact that all of these guys have VCU in ahead of Rhody makes absolutely no sense. It actually destroys their credibility. I know I don't have to explain to you, but we beat VCU on their home court. Hello?? Bottom line is that we just have to keep winning.
I don't agree with that argument -- A head-to-head win does not automatically mean one team jumps the other. It's about total resume. If you want to say URI has a better resume and I don't understand how VCU is in, fine. And I agree that URI has a better total resume based solely on W/L's. The difference between the two teams is VCU is +12 in the NET, but that is in large part due to efficiency. Simplistic view, but URI is +84 in 10 Q3/Q4 games, VCU is +219 in 12 Q3/Q4 games. URI has outperformed VCU in Q1/Q2 games, but doesn't even come close to closing that gap at the moment. That ends up impacting efficiency and MOV metrics.
Looks like efficiency needs to be adjusted based on opponent then. Seems like a flaw. Efficiency in higher comp should be worth more in the stats.
I've said that before but it's my belief that adjusted efficiency tends to favor teams who on average play tougher competition. For example, when URI plays UMASS in a few weeks, KenPom says they would be favored by 15 points. If URI wins by 20, they see a small bump. If they win by 10, they see a small loss. So if a team plays a lot of bad opponents, and has to keep winning by 20+ points to even see small bumps, that can be a challenge except for the best of teams. Uncapped efficiency is a flaw in the NET, but adjusted efficiency poses it's own challenges.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago The BIG10 is pushing everyone out, even the Big East.
Last night on the postgame show CBSSN the 3 man panel of Lappas Wally S and Seth Davis we’re debating where’s the Big 10 was 12 bid league
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

I don't agree with that argument -- A head-to-head win does not automatically mean one team jumps the other. It's about total resume. If you want to say URI has a better resume and I don't understand how VCU is in, fine. And I agree that URI has a better total resume based solely on W/L's. The difference between the two teams is VCU is +12 in the NET, but that is in large part due to efficiency. Simplistic view, but URI is +84 in 10 Q3/Q4 games, VCU is +219 in 12 Q3/Q4 games. URI has outperformed VCU in Q1/Q2 games, but doesn't even come close to closing that gap at the moment. That ends up impacting efficiency and MOV metrics.
Looks like efficiency needs to be adjusted based on opponent then. Seems like a flaw. Efficiency in higher comp should be worth more in the stats.
I've said that before but it's my belief that adjusted efficiency tends to favor teams who on average play tougher competition. For example, when URI plays UMASS in a few weeks, KenPom says they would be favored by 15 points. If URI wins by 20, they see a small bump. If they win by 10, they see a small loss. So if a team plays a lot of bad opponents, and has to keep winning by 20+ points to even see small bumps, that can be a challenge except for the best of teams. Uncapped efficiency is a flaw in the NET, but adjusted efficiency poses it's only challenges.
well put. There is no silver bullet
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
RamIt! wrote: 4 years ago Latest Lunardi Bracketology has the A10 as a 1 bid team ?!?!
And yet Liberty, whose best win is a neutral site win over a decent-at-best Akron team, is still in the field after falling to second place in the A-Sun.

Lunardi is a bozo.
I didn’t look at the Bracketology yet, but was this as an at large that he had Liberty in? One team has to make it from their conference?
Yes, has liberty as a play-in team right now and North Florida as the autobid.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I think we can all agree that it's too early to look at the bracketology stuff. Just keep winning,
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 4 years ago I think we can all agree that it's too early to look at the bracketology stuff. Just keep winning,

Thank you! Let's focus on our games and see where things stand in a couple weeks
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 4 years ago I think we can all agree that it's too early to look at the bracketology stuff. Just keep winning,
Yeah, I mean it’s too early in the sense that nothing is going to hold from now until March. But it’s good validation that we are not playing for nothing, and it’s a good measuring stick to get a sense for what we need to accomplish over the season’s last 6 weeks.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Exactly. It's a race for the division first. Win the division. 2nd place is better than 3rd, but 1st is even better. Go for first first. Roll Spide.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If you want to go for first I still don’t get why you would want UR to win. They have a tiebreaker on us. Why would we not want to be 17-1 and have Dayton finish 16-2 with 2 losses to us. I mean if we are going to dream might as well go big.

Being conservative and realizing that’s highly unlikely we really don’t need UR winning tomorrow. Right now league is 2 bid. We need to be the 2nd bid. We are competing with UR, VCU, SLU for that bid.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Because the league seems to have been handed over to Dayton? Regardless of the tiebreaker shot with UR, I like Rhody chances better with a UD loss to UR. Will be the perfect shakeup. Leave us tied for first with 2 games left against the (ultra heavy) conference fave. In the driver's seat. Insert 'rock on' emoji here --> _____ Bleep Richmond, they'll lose to someone else, too.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

gotta love uri fans rooting for bubble teams not named uri to pick up marquis wins.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Makes little to no sense to root for Richmond.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ugh....Brown loses to Yale...that makes our loss to them, what a Quad 9 loss?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I will still take my chances with this not being a meme years from now:

"If only Dayton had beat Richmond..."

Think Big. Win the Conference.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yale is good
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Cheering for Richmond to win tomorrow is ridiculously stupid.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Cheering for Richmond to win tomorrow is ridiculously stupid.
Cheering for Dayton is not Thinking Big. (Unless you think second place is "big", in which case it totally is 'thinking big")
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Cheering for Richmond to win tomorrow is ridiculously stupid.
Cheering for Dayton is not Thinking Big. (Unless you think second place is "big", in which case it totally is 'thinking big")

In this case I’m thinking rational.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

After tomorrow's games...who do you think has a better chance of losing multiple games? UR or UD?
I
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

After tomorrow's games...who do you think has a better chance of losing multiple games? UR or UD?
I

the better question is---assuming a richmond win tomorrow, what do you think has a better chance of happening...URI losing 1 less game than UR the rest of the way or UR winning the same or more games than URI the rest of the way? Keeping in mind URI will still have 2 games vs. dayton and richmond will be done with dayton.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Yikes dude. Bad take.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago Yikes dude. Bad take.
a lot of takes here. which are you referring to?
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
Rooting for Richmond over Dayton.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago

yup...ramster and 208 appear to be on an island alone on this one. i am usually in agreement with 208, but he had the same rooting interest for SLU to beat dayton. I don't think he could be any more clouded in his judgement.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Better for us if Richmond loses
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

yup...ramster and 208 appear to be on an island alone on this one. i am usually in agreement with 208, but he had the same rooting interest for SLU to beat dayton. I don't think he could be any more clouded in his judgement.
LOL...then, you don't know him very well. He definitely has the capability to be way more clouded in his judgment.

So...let's say SLU HAD beaten Dayton. Now, we're tied for first? And that's bad because ____________?
Because..... then we'd be saying we're the best (or tied for being the best) team in the conference?

There was no downside imo in Dayton losing to sloo last week, and none to them losing to UR tomorrow. GO. SPIDE.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

LOL...then, you don't know him very well. He definitely has the capability to be way more clouded in his judgment.

So...let's say SLU HAD beaten Dayton. Now, we're tied for first? And that's bad because ____________?
Because..... then we'd be saying we're the best (or tied for being the best) team in the conference?

There was no downside imo in Dayton losing to sloo last week, and none to them losing to UR tomorrow. GO. SPIDE.
It would have been bad because SLU was already ahead of us in NET and they would have picked up a marquis win to add to their resume. How many teams do you think are getting in from the A10? Dayton is a lock. And with those wins over Dayton, SLU and Richmond would have big leads on URI for an at large bid. You are fixated on the easiest path to winning the A10. Most here, excluding you and ramster, are fixated on the easiest path to make the Dance.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Then, just beat slu Win all of your games, and root for everyone the farthest ahead of you (or, team with fewer losses) to lose.

<<No one really thinks that AFTER tomorrow, Richmond, or SLU, will lose the same or fewer # of games as Dayton...do they?>>

Spide wins...Rhody cruises thru SBU and Mason...end this month with the same amount of losses as Dayton...I love the chances for winning the conference. Keep eyes on the conference title. Think big, we Fatts. Toppin Time, Eye of the Tiger, etc.... fire up the conference title talk.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Then, just beat slu Win all of your games, and root for everyone the farthest ahead of you (or, team with fewer losses) to lose.

<<No one really thinks that AFTER tomorrow, Richmond, or SLU, will lose the same or fewer # of games as Dayton...do they?>>

Spide wins...Rhody cruises thru SBU and Mason...end this month with the same amount of losses as Dayton...I love the chances for winning the conference. Keep eyes on the conference title. Think big, we Fatts. Toppin Time, Eye of the Tiger, etc.... fire up the conference title talk.

i think i could buy into your take a little if URI already had one in the bank vs. Dayton. But what if we don't beat Dayton in either of our 2 chances? We will be underdogs in both games. And when is the last time we beat a top 15 team in the AP poll during the regular season? certainly not in the last 30 years. so if we beat Dayton, it will be our best regular season win in 30 years. and that is essentially what you are basing your take on. I think we could get a bid to dance without beating Dayton, but that becomes less likely if the other bubble teams in the conference, ESPECIALLY RICHMOND, get wins against Dayton.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Then, just beat slu Win all of your games, and root for everyone the farthest ahead of you (or, team with fewer losses) to lose.

i think i could buy into your take a little if URI already had one in the bank vs. Dayton. But what if we don't beat Dayton in either of our 2 chances? We will be underdogs in both games. And when is the last time we beat a top 15 team in the AP poll during the regular season? certainly not in the last 30 years. so if we beat Dayton, it will be our best regular season win in 30 years. and that is essentially what you are basing your take on. I think we could get a bid to dance without beating Dayton, but that becomes less likely if the other bubble teams in the conference, ESPECIALLY RICHMOND, get wins against Dayton.
If we lose to Dayton x2, we deserve what we get. I appreciate what you're saying. I don't totally agree with it, but, like I said earlier, I won't see it as a total suck if UR loses. Couldn't agree more that having one in the bank vs Dayton would make a diff. If we had a game in the L column...that would make a difference, too. But, we don't yet, so...go spide. :lol:
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

If we lose to Dayton x2, we deserve what we get. I appreciate what you're saying. I don't totally agree with it, but, like I said earlier, I won't see it as a total suck if UR loses. Couldn't agree more that having one in the bank vs Dayton would make a diff. If we had a game in the L column...that would make a difference, too. But, we don't yet, so...go spide. :lol:
correct 208. we don't have one in the L column either. but, gun to your head (and assuming you don't want to die), who would you pick to win the dayton at uri game? can uri win? sure, but it would be an upset and most people would think you were crazy if you took URI without getting points. so i'm going with the odds. root for URI in all their games and root for all bubble teams to lose their games.

GO FLYERS! BEAT THE SPIDERS!
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

You could probably make an argument that it makes sense to root for Dusquene to beat Dayton since it would raise their NET and we already beat them. Rooting for Richmond to beat them has literally no upside for us.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago You could probably make an argument that it makes sense to root for Dusquene to beat Dayton since it would raise their NET and we already beat them. Rooting for Richmond to beat them has literally no upside for us.

i could be on board with this if duquesne threatens to fall to a quad 3 victory for us. at that point they wouldn't be a contender for an at large.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

We should be rooting for Dayton to be undefeated unless they play URI.

It would give us more breathing room in the conference standings and an opportunity for a better win.

The second a Richmond or VCU or SLU or Davidson or even Duquesne beats Dayton, is the second that URI drops behind those teams in the at large conversation.

I don’t know about you, but I would prefer to be the 2nd team considered from the A10 instead of the 3rd or 4th.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't agree at all
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think I'd rather play Dayton undefeated next month.

Also, why even worry about this one? Richmond DOES NOT HAVE THEIR LEADING SCORER. How did none of you guys mention that?

It's more likely that Dayton will dismantle them than Richmond actually winning this game.

Richmond is a finesse team without a big weapon and Dayton is finesse deluxe with a lottery pick.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I just want everyone to have fun.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago I think I'd rather play Dayton undefeated next month.

Also, why even worry about this one? Richmond DOES NOT HAVE THEIR LEADING SCORER. How did none of you guys mention that?

It's more likely that Dayton will dismantle them than Richmond actually winning this game.

Richmond is a finesse team without a big weapon and Dayton is finesse deluxe with a lottery pick.
The Dayton at SLU game was a toss up. I agree about Richmond missing a key player. Hard to win on the road against a good team.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Does NET/kenpom account for injuries?
GO RAMS
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

Rhody in 9 brackets (next 4 out) on bracket matrix. Richmond (first 4 out) is in 18 brackets
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Does NET/kenpom account for injuries?
No, KP is based on season-long stats. Injuries never get factored in.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Does KMac get a top 25 vote? If he doesn't put Rhody in there he is a tool.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’m guessing our NET jumps in the mid to low 40’s
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes hoping for that I will think about 47th at worst
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Yes hoping for that I will think about 47th at worst
Hopefully it jumps to that point, but we may only see a 2-3 pt jump. Bonnies may drop to a q3 victory after tonight they were on the cusp of q2/3 need them to win next week to Solidify it as a q2 game.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah true may be tough to jump 4 spots we will see
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Dropped 1 in net from 52 to now 53. Bonnies stayed at 134 barely clinging to q2 victory. Not gonna lie this whole net thing still confuses me. Wasnt expecting a big jump but thought it would get us atleast a couple spots.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

but our RPI is up to 18. Historically one of our better rankings at this time of year.
I like the RPI better than NET :)
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago Dropped 1 in net from 52 to now 53. Bonnies stayed at 134 barely clinging to q2 victory. Not gonna lie this whole net thing still confuses me. Wasnt expecting a big jump but thought it would get us atleast a couple spots.
Rhody won a game they were expected to win by not too much more than they were expected to win by. Further, the defense was not nearly as efficient as the previous 5 games so that hurts too