Dana Tate Transfers to Siena

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Re: Dana Tate to Transfer

Unread post by Section104 »

As a reminder: DJ is eligible and can be used if necessary. That’s 9 bodies. I’m not saying i prefer him to Tate, but the glass can be broken in case of an emergency.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

And Shepard can practice so they aren’t in a situation where they’re short of bodies. If Doherty comes on board then there is some additional cushion.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Too bad Aaron Parker is trying to make the NFL or he’d be a great addition !
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Too bad Aaron Parker is trying to make the NFL or he’d be a great addition !

A la Anthony Baskerville fee years back!
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Speaking of football players, Tommy Garrick was originally recruited to URI to play football. The switch over to basketball worked out pretty well.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Ok, I've gathered enough data to conclude that this is what happened/is happening, Dana going through some tough emotional growing pains, girlfriend issues, personal matters, it was affecting his ability to be focused on BB. Players and coaches were giving him a wide birth while trying to be supportive, Dana's situation kept spiraling and then the tech. Dana crossed lines on court and off court, people lost their patience with him, including coaches, one coach in particular, who had a close relationship with Dana, took things personally because he was so disappointed in Tate and allowed a disciplinary suspension to become punitive, which left an emotional teenager with tons of stress, swinging with uncertainty.

Now go ahead and tell me how irresponsible it is to post my speculations, or better yet counter with speculations of your own because that's what we are left with, speculation. So, unless more info comes out, the former explanation will be what I believe.

and again I give Cox tons of cred in many area's of the job, but nobody is perfect and he is the head coach, so when the roster is down to 8 of 13 scholarship players it's on him.
Fantastic speculation. Depth and breadth, it had it all. Not very argumentative, but still...well played. A-
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Re: Tate

People. Breathe.

Tate is here to stay.

He messed up. He’s been counseled. He’s accepted fault. He is manning up and owning it.

He will be back.

"He will be back"?

Sure he will. DC Rams-just speculating on a good players future.
Reads like something Rhowdy would write. Keyboard warriors .
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Re: Tate

People. Breathe.

Tate is here to stay.

He messed up. He’s been counseled. He’s accepted fault. He is manning up and owning it.

He will be back.

"He will be back"?

Sure he will. DC Rams-just speculating on a good players future.
Reads like something Rhowdy would write. Keyboard warriors .
Are these things ever fluid? Have you followed Dana’s IG? His stories and posts have both indicated that he was coming back and that he was working on himself. His last IG post in the caption says “I WILL BE BACK”.

Things changed. I don’t sit in that wing of the Ryan Center. I pass on what I can, when I can. But maybe You guys are right, I won’t say anything else. Don’t fret.

I guess I painted this target on myself. It’s coming off today.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I guess he should have the quote removed...
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Guys - quit attacking one another. Few people know the real issue at hand. That’s fine. If not everyone knows, there will be speculation. That’s fine. Things happen, and sometimes they hurt. That’s fine.
This forum is meant to inform, not divide. We all have one thing in common (and maybe sometimes only one thing).
No hate. We’re not PC, and our team is winning and that’s all that really matters.
Go Rhody.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Guys - quit attacking one another. Few people know the real issue at hand. That’s fine. If not everyone knows, there will be speculation. That’s fine. Things happen, and sometimes they hurt. That’s fine.
This forum is meant to inform, not divide. We all have one thing in common (and maybe sometimes only one thing).
No hate. We’re not PC, and our team is winning and that’s all that really matters.
Go Rhody.
Well said. Can we all go into 2020 on a fresh slate please
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I thought this might be of interest in the broader scheme. 40% of D1 players transfer by their sophomore season. I'm not sure what our average is or the A10 as a whole. Just food for thought.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/res ... basketball
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago As a reminder: DJ is eligible and can be used if necessary. That’s 9 bodies. I’m not saying i prefer him to Tate, but the glass can be broken in case of an emergency.
I really see no reason to redshirt DJ. If he can’t get on the court with 9 scholarship players how will he get playing time when they get to 13 players? None of the players at his position graduate this year or next year. Start getting him some playing time in easy games (Brown). That way if he is needed for a few minutes it isn’t he first game. There is no reason to tie up three years of a scholarship when you have Toppin and Long at the three for 4 years.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Where do these transfers end up? We tracked the men’s basketball student-athletes listed on the 2018 Division I Basketball Transfers list on the Verbal Commits website to determine their destination for 2018-19. 704 of the players on the list were identified as transferring to another school and joining the basketball team. 46% of the transfers went to another Division I school (often to a less competitive program), while the others typically left for Division II, NAIA or 2-year colleges (Figure 2).
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Section104 wrote: 4 years ago As a reminder: DJ is eligible and can be used if necessary. That’s 9 bodies. I’m not saying i prefer him to Tate, but the glass can be broken in case of an emergency.
I really see no reason to redshirt DJ. If he can’t get on the court with 9 scholarship players how will he get playing time when they get to 13 players? None of the players at his position graduate this year or next year. Start getting him some playing time in easy games (Brown). That way if he is needed for a few minutes it isn’t he first game. There is no reason to tie up three years of a scholarship when you have Toppin and Long at the three for 4 years.
That is the likely scenario.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Another bizarre situation. Kid comes in to play. If you take redshirt off Thursday night he’s lost 10 games of a already shortened D1 career. Next year with redshirt off what’s his role? DJ must be a easygoing kid I guess.

(Doesn’t miss too many shots in pregame)

Kinda strange. Certainly thread worthy...
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
If he still redshirts this year there is no way he ties up 3 years of scholarship unless he develops and is really good, which i assume he is not right now. He will grad transfer and have saved a year of eligibility.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago

If he still redshirts this year there is no way he ties up 3 years of scholarship unless he develops and is really good, which i assume he is not right now. He will grad transfer and have saved a year of eligibility.
If that is such an absolute as you state, what is the benefit to URI of redshirting him? You are saying he leaves after next year whether he redshirts or not. DJ didn’t ask to redshirt this year. That has been the request of the staff.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I think DJ will start seeing the floor this season.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Break glass in case of emergency
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes bring in DJ Johnson the Human Tarantula
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Heard from reliable source it was indeed over the technical in WVU game.
Seems harsh.
This is a LIE and far from fact.

Totally irresponsible to post fallacies like this. His issues were 100% OFF COURT!
You got enough wrong in this thread and others, maybe sit this topic out
He’s not wrong here.

This has nothing to do with on court happenings.

Since that’s the case it has no business being discussed here. Hopefully Dana gets right and finds a fresh start and better situation.

From a basketball perspective this hurts us, certainly doesn’t kill us, but it doesn’t make us better. I agree with the sentiment that he wasn’t the 6th man at this point - but on a personal level I really liked Dana and his love for URI.

It hurts me as a fan but best wishes to Dana.

Either way if we stay injury free my expectations for the year don’t change.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago

This is a LIE and far from fact.

Totally irresponsible to post fallacies like this. His issues were 100% OFF COURT!
You got enough wrong in this thread and others, maybe sit this topic out
He’s not wrong here.

This has nothing to do with on court happenings.

Since that’s the case it has no business being discussed here. Hopefully Dana gets right and finds a fresh start and better situation.

From a basketball perspective this hurts us, certainly doesn’t kill us, but it doesn’t make us better. I agree with the sentiment that he wasn’t the 6th man at this point - but on a personal level I really liked Dana and his love for URI.

It hurts me as a fan but best wishes to Dana.

Either way if we stay injury free my expectations for the year don’t change.
Thank you.
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Why? Why does anyone care about the details?

You shouldn't care any more than you care about a kid who gets reprimanded in public by his parents. Do you walk up to them and ask 'what did your child do to deserve that stare/yelling at/scolding?'

If it turns out Dana did something to deserve it, what will you do after? Feel betrayed?
If it turns out no one was at fault, what will you do? Ponder to yourself, 'This doesn't make sense’ and continue to speculate or start rumors based on a little/some/almost all of what is publicly known?
If it turns out Dana wasn't at fault and Coach Cox was too tough on him, what will you do? Call for DC's head (I am thinking there may be a few of you here hoping this is case so you can start the 'cut bait' chants)?

Needing to know is completely self serving.

Will it bring Dana back? Will one of you head to the train station to make sure Dana isn't on a train heading Northbound?

The only ones who should care are the ones who already know. If you don’t know, you aren’t one of them.

Care about how our roster has X number of bodies in the rotation and this makes it tougher to win on a night when the refs are calling everything. Care about Dana as a person because he was nice to your child at a game. Care about who will replace Dana as the 6th man off the bench.

I get that. But why this need to know the WHY of Dana transferring?

It baffles this man.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DanInAZ wrote: 4 years ago Why? Why does anyone care about the details?

You shouldn't care any more than you care about a kid who gets reprimanded in public by his parents. Do you walk up to them and ask 'what did your child do to deserve that stare/yelling at/scolding?'

If it turns out Dana did something to deserve it, what will you do after? Feel betrayed?
If it turns out no one was at fault, what will you do? Ponder to yourself, 'This doesn't make sense’ and continue to speculate or start rumors based on a little/some/almost all of what is publicly known?
If it turns out Dana wasn't at fault and Coach Cox was too tough on him, what will you do? Call for DC's head (I am thinking there may be a few of you here hoping this is case so you can start the 'cut bait' chants)?

Will it bring Dana back? Will one of you head to the train station to make sure Dana isn't on a train heading Northbound?

The only ones who should care are the ones who already know. If you don’t know, you aren’t one of them.

Care about how our roster has X number of bodies in the rotation and this makes it tougher to win on a night when the refs are calling everything. Care about Dana as a person because he was nice to your child at a game. Care about who will replace Dana as the 6th man off the bench.

It baffles this man.
Bravo, brother. Bra-Vo!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

DanInAZ wrote: 4 years ago Why? Why does anyone care about the details?

It baffles this man.
This post is EXCELLENT.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Believe it or not I don't care to know the details of what happened, my last post with the whole speculative scenario was meant to illustrate a point I made in a previous post. What I didn't like about the handling of the Tate situation was the open ended nature of it and the point I made earlier was that saying a player violated team rules while issuing an indefinite suspension which lasts a month+ leads people to speculate either way because the two don't normally jive. So I illustrated, tongue in cheek, that since the details of the suspension were not clear that people will take little to no knowledge of the incident and concoct scenarios of their own based solely on info gathered in this thread.
Truly I admit that I can't know any of it was mishandled by anyone, I just know I'm human and bummed that this happened with Tate because of the way he endeared himself to us when he kind of helped lead the re-commitment of the recruits after Hurley left, it's that thing I like to warn about when you let your crushed expectations drive your typing hands.
No matter how you slice it, we are now too thin to withstand much adversity, that doesn't mean I've lost hope and it has nothing to do with how I see Cox as a head coach, as I've been saying right along when you take the whole into account I've been very impressed with DC. I'm bummed Tate's gone, but it's correct to state at some point whats done is done, moving on.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

running ram, good post...and that's my main issue with this whole thing too, the "indefinite" length of the suspension.

You don't usually see too many indefinite suspensions, and when you do, they are usually settled fairly quickly to a definite timeframe.

This one wasn't. Cox said he wanted Tate back, but by continuing to waffle on his return, ended up losing him.

At least with the lack of concrete details, that's my thought on this.
Brian Forster
ARD

DanIn AZ-good post,but everyones' right.
Its within Cox's rights not to give a reason for Tate's leaving. (note-he gave one for Langevine's benching).
If he is not going to give a reason,its equally within the rights of the people paying for it to speculate or ask what happened?
To your point,this NCAA caliber team is down to 8 guys in December.
Its not an intramural or rec league team,where rosters are like an overcoat.
To Cox's point character building is important,but the benefactors want a winner. That's the conflict.
Character building was a hallmark of the Baron and LaForce eras.
Part of successful coaching is managing difficult personalities. Punishment should fit the infraction.
Tate had value,are the Rams a better team without him?
We will see.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Aren’t some things just private? The coach plays a huge role in these kids lives, and some things that happen are just a private matter between the kid the coach and the team and family. I don’t know what happened with Tate and don’t need to know; it’s not my business. I hope he does well at his next stop and we succeed as well.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The only reason I wanted to know was to try to better understand the way it was handled by Cox and why it ended up with the departure of Dana. If it is something private that would embarrass Dana, I totally agree with keeping it private.
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

who paid? I don't have to wake extra early this morning to cover a player in practice? Again, self-serving.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Aren’t some things just private? The coach plays a huge role in these kids lives, and some things that happen are just a private matter between the kid the coach and the team and family. I don’t know what happened with Tate and don’t need to know; it’s not my business. I hope he does well at his next stop and we succeed as well.
Students have privacy rights. Anyone employed by the University has to follow the privacy regulations.
Brian Forster
ARD

DanAZ-who paid? Season ticket holders,people who fly to games and tournaments from far away,donors and people who fund raise.
This does not include you. These are the same exact questions people on this board asked about Baron and LaForce's suspensions,transfers and DNP's (Coaches decision).I like Cox and Tate. Again,its totally within Cox's rights to keep it private. That wasn't the optics he chose.
The $$ for dedicated practice facility,charter flights and more $$ assistants won't come from the tooth fairy.
You want to do it without the boosters,gonna take deep runs in the NCAA. I am for one am sure he is up to it.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Aren’t some things just private? The coach plays a huge role in these kids lives, and some things that happen are just a private matter between the kid the coach and the team and family. I don’t know what happened with Tate and don’t need to know; it’s not my business. I hope he does well at his next stop and we succeed as well.
Students have privacy rights. Anyone employed by the University has to follow the privacy regulations.
And are they following those regulations?
It seems strange that we are discussing privacy rights but there are posters who admit they know what happened on the Tate case and others.

It’s their business to decide to post or not post.

But Wouldn’t it make sense for those who know inside info just to not admit that they know inside info? That in itself seems to spark a lot of message postings and debate. And if they are not supposed to share it, s as nd they don’t share it then I refer to my friend 208 who has often commented in this.....

I know something you don’t know
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
It seems strange that we are discussing privacy rights but there are posters who admit they know what happened on the Tate case and others.

But Wouldn’t it make sense for those who know inside info just to not admit that they know inside info? That in itself seems to spark a lot of message postings and debate. And if they are not supposed to share it, s as nd they don’t share it then I refer to my friend 208 who has often commented in this.....

If I have inside info, about a personal matter, I will only share enough to dispel controversy or conspiracy theories. That approach does not work. My new approach will be to just shut the hell up.

The people that need to know, in the positions that matter, is sufficient. People that shell out money, have to, at some point, TRUST, that the right things are behind done, behind the scenes.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

As long as I’ve been posting on this board there’s always people who say “my sources”, etc. some of them I would say DO have sources and some are simply bloated with hot air.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

If I have inside info, about a personal matter, I will only share enough to dispel controversy or conspiracy theories. That approach does not work. My new approach will be to just shut the hell up.

The people that need to know, in the positions that matter, is sufficient. People that shell out money, have to, at some point, TRUST, that the right things are behind done, behind the scenes.
That's classic. Question...if one didn't want to entertain conversation about it...why would one even do that...on an interweb message board of all places?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Yeah I’m curious. But that doesn’t entitle me to know. And uneducated speculation leads to futile arguments. I don’t blame a Cox for a couple of reasons:
The positive vibe of Dana’s goodbye messages.
The lack of criticism of Cox by those who do know more of the backstory.
Slava Ukraini!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

That's classic. Question...if one didn't want to entertain conversation about it...why would one even do that...on an interweb message board of all places?
Great question. Just thought I could help where I could. Lesson learned.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

I think that’s the perfect response to be honest.

Having people who actually know what’s going on, but for plenty of aforementioned reasons cannot publicly say, dispel any potentially damaging or ridiculous theories is exactly what DC and anyone else should do in these situations.

If you lose people like DC doing that, this turns into a forum of conspiracy theorists just shouting nonsense into the void and providing a ridiculous window into our team and fan base from the outside.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed ^^. If you chase off folks with relationships and intel the board loses a ton. And if you require those that may know something to fully disclose such info those people will certainly lose any relationships or intel they have for the future. It’s a pretty simple concept.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

You may disagree with DC_Rams but you have to at least respect his take and Intel on situations. I enjoy the subtle hints from time to time that point you in the right direction.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

...and for the record, I don’t claim to be always right. Things change all the time in the college landscape.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Good grief.

What's the point now?

It's over. Whatever happened.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Really bummed to see him go. 1st Hammond now Tate. Just a drag. I really liked this "team" entering the season. It's a shame.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Whatever the details are or were, Cox should have put a finite time on the suspension, if not right away, then soon after, as Dan did with Bouknight.

Either a number of games or a number of days.

If he had done that, Dana might still be here?