3/16 | St. Bonaventure | 1:00PM (CBSSN) | A10 Semifinals

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ram96
Steve Chubin

Re: 3/16 | St. Bonaventure | 1:00PM (CBSSN) | A10 Semifinals

Unread post by Ram96 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago Ignoring the what happened on the court - I’d just like to give a good and healthy fuck you to our student fans who didn’t show up at all.

Rhody “ruckus” was an embarrassment in not showing up today.

You have no idea how good you have it to see meaningful basketball in March.

You are literally the fucking worst.
The players and coach didn’t show up for a few games either.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Where was Omar? I thought he would get some minutes today due to the fatigue factor.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Since I didn't see the game, but looking at the box score it looked like the freshmen didn't contribute nearly as much as they did against VCU....which really put the burden on the big 3.....

Fatts needed a big game shooting but didn't have it.

And only 2 assists after the first 15 minutes? What happened to the great ball movement we saw recently?

No gas or not...that is puzzling.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I was there, chants were all started by young alumni and older alumni. Students were scattered at best.. Not sure what happened there. We looked like we were gonna walk away with this game and then 5 min to go in the first half was when it shifted. Second half was back and forth until the flood gates opened for the Bonnie’s around 7 min to go. Miss after miss. No Omar at all which was odd. Overall it was a great day and a solid end to the season. We will certainly be back. Oh and the recruit on the bench is at least 6-10 /6-11. go Rhody
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Someone made a good point what was the score when Fatts missed Preston for that ally oop ?? That certainly started the down slide

I am proud of the team I thought we were dead after that home game to Davidson then we totally turned the season around and had some meaningful games in March

We are on to 2019-20
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Not sure about Schmidt leaving if they win......he could have left after last season but didn't....maybe he's happy where he is, where there isn't really a lot of pressure to win compared to the big boys.
He would’ve gone to Pitt - their alumni wanted a bigger name.
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I was there, chants were all started by young alumni and older alumni. Students were scattered at best.. Not sure what happened there. We looked like we were gonna walk away with this game and then 5 min to go in the first half was when it shifted. Second half was back and forth until the flood gates opened for the Bonnie’s around 7 min to go. Miss after miss. No Omar at all which was odd. Overall it was a great day and a solid end to the season. We will certainly be back. Oh and the recruit on the bench is at least 6-10 /6-11. go Rhody
That was Marial Mading and he goes 6’11”. We were watching during the shoot around before the VCU game and he took about six shots from 3-range...didn’t miss. Next year should be fun!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'm no diehard college hoops fan (except for my Rams), but the big freshman on the Bonnies not only has a name as unpronouncable as The Greek Freak, but his game kinda reminds me of him too.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Someone made a good point what was the score when Fatts missed Preston for that ally oop ?? That certainly started the down slide

I am proud of the team I thought we were dead after that home game to Davidson then we totally turned the season around and had some meaningful games in March

We are on to 2019-20
Reef,
that was me who mentioned the missed 4 on 1 fast break opportunity when the ally oop pass from Russell to Preston went out of bounds. With URI up by 12 points we had a golden opportunity to go up by 14 with 4:48 minutes to go.

06:52 Rhode Island RUSSELL,FATTS enters the game 24 - 12
06:38 24 - 12 Turnover by TEAM St. Bonaventure
06:12 Rhode Island RUSSELL,FATTS missed 3-pt. jump shot 24 - 12
05:38 24 - 14 LOFTON,KYLE made jump shot St. Bonaventure
05:18 Rhode Island MARTIN,TYRESE made layup 26 - 14

04:51 26 - 14 Turnover by OSUNNIYI,OSUN St. Bonaventure
04:50 Rhode Island Steal by RUSSELL,FATTS 26 - 14
04:48 Rhode Island Turnover by PRESTON,RYAN 26 - 14
04:48 Rhode Island THOMPSON,CHRISTION enters the game 26 - 14
04:48 Rhode Island PRESTON,RYAN goes to the bench 26 - 14

04:29 Rhode Island MARTIN,TYRESE defensive rebound 26 - 14

04:08 Rhode Island MARTIN,TYRESE made 3-pt. jump shot 29 - 14
03:56 29 - 17 LOFTON,KYLE made 3-pt. jump shot St. Bonaventure
03:29 Rhode Island DOWTIN,JEFF missed jump shot 29 - 17
02:49 29 - 20 WELCH,DOMINICK made 3-pt. jump shot St. Bonaventure
02:27 Rhode Island RUSSELL,FATTS missed 3-pt. jump shot 29 - 20
02:21 29 - 20 WELCH,DOMINICK missed 3-pt. jump shot St. Bonaventure
02:21 29 - 20 STOCKARD,COURTNEY offensive rebound St. Bonaventure
02:18 Rhode Island Foul by MARTIN,TYRESE 29 - 20
02:18 29 - 21 STOCKARD,COURTNEY made free throw St. Bonaventure 02:18 29 - 22 STOCKARD,COURTNEY made free throw St. Bonaventure
01:54 Rhode Island Turnover by MARTIN,TYRESE 29 - 22
01:35 29 - 24 GRIFFIN,LADARIEN made layup St. Bonaventure
01:08 Rhode Island Turnover by DOWTIN,JEFF 29 - 24
00:55 29 - 24 STOCKARD,COURTNEY missed jump shot St. Bonaventure
00:55 29 - 24 WELCH,DOMINICK offensive rebound St. Bonaventure
00:52 29 - 24 WELCH,DOMINICK missed tip-in St. Bonaventure
00:52 Rhode Island MARTIN,TYRESE defensive rebound 29 - 24
00:38 Rhode Island RUSSELL,FATTS missed 3-pt. jump shot 29 - 24
00:38 29 - 24 WELCH,DOMINICK defensive rebound St. Bonaventure
00:14 29 - 27 WELCH,DOMINICK made 3-pt. jump shot St. Bonaventure
00:01 Rhode Island DOWTIN,JEFF missed jump shot 29 - 27

Russell and Langeveine came in at 6:52 with score (24-12)
Russell missed 3FG
Lofton made 2FG
Martin made layup 2FG to go to (26-14) with 5:18 to go

Turnover by Osunniyi and Russell steal URI had a 4 on 1 fast break. Russell lofted the ball to Preston coming in from the left and the timing was off on the play. Ball went out of bounds. I thought right there that we blew a great opportunity since we had a lopsided 4 on 1 advantage on the break.
From my viewing at the time I thought it was a bad pass from Russell so was surprised to see the Turnover was charged to Preston.
Immediately Cox subbed Thompson for Preston which surprised me
At the time I thought with the ball in the PG hands that we should convert on a 4-1 break. Felt at that moment that this was a big missed opportunity

After this, Tyrese Martin hit a 3FG with 4:08 minutes to go to put URI up (29-14) for a 15 point lead:
Lofton hit 3FG (29-17)
Dowtin missed 2FG
Welch hit 3FG (29-20)
Russell missed 3FG
Welch missed 3FG
Stockard made 2 FT (29-22)
Griffin made layup 2FG after Martin TO (29-24)
TO Dowtin
Stockard missed 2FG
Welch missed 2FG
Russell missed 3FG
Welch made 3FG (29-27) with 14 seconds to go
Dowtin missed 2FG

URI did not score a point in the last 4:08 minutes as the score went from (29-14) to (29-27) at the halftime and Bonnies with huge momentum
2 Missed shots each from Russell, Dowtin plus TOs by Dowtin and Martin in last 4:08 minutes
Bonnies got 3FGs from Welch(2) and Lofton, layup by Griffin and 2 FTs from Stockard to outscore URI 13-0 in the last 4:08
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

TheGhostOfDH wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I was there, chants were all started by young alumni and older alumni. Students were scattered at best.. Not sure what happened there. We looked like we were gonna walk away with this game and then 5 min to go in the first half was when it shifted. Second half was back and forth until the flood gates opened for the Bonnie’s around 7 min to go. Miss after miss. No Omar at all which was odd. Overall it was a great day and a solid end to the season. We will certainly be back. Oh and the recruit on the bench is at least 6-10 /6-11. go Rhody
That was Marial Mading and he goes 6’11”. We were watching during the shoot around before the VCU game and he took about six shots from 3-range...didn’t miss. Next year should be fun!
Saw that too. My son was like "we winning it all next year. He's our Zion."
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

what sucks is that while we didnt match up well against davidson, we would have had a better chance vs st louis

still pissed we fell apart
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

We collapsed in the second half (and last 3 minutes of first half) of our third game in three days. The Bonnies also collapsed in the second half of their third game in three days against St Louis.
The big question is how did St Louis stay strong for four days in a row?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago We collapsed in the second half (and last 3 minutes of first half) of our third game in three days. The Bonnies also collapsed in the second half of their third game in three days against St Louis.
The big question is how did St Louis stay strong for four days in a row?
How did St Louis stay strong or get stronger with 4 games in 4 days? How did Oregon stay strong or get stronger with 4 games in 4 days, and any other teams that accomplished the same feat?
“No excuses” is what teams sometimes put on their T-shirts for a reason
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think the answer to why did we collapse against Bonnies when other teams didn’t collapse has a lot to do with the mental and physical exertion that it took from the team over the course of several weeks to turn the season around, including two road OT wins in maybe the two hardest places to play in the league. Every team’s situation is a little different with roster depth, injuries, fatigue, etc. I think the mental/emotional aspect of it is easy to overlook - sometimes adrenaline can carry you past the point of what you’re probably able to do physically, but if/when that wears off it can cause an immediate crash. Maybe the jolt from Bonnies’ run to close the half halted our momentum and we just didn’t have enough gas left to ramp it back up. I can’t really speak to SLU’s situation, but I do think what happened to us is understandable even if it is disappointing.

Having a “no excuses” approach is good for the team as a device to stay focused and not give up when stuff goes against you, but as fans doing a postmortem I think it is reasonable to consider everything in order to try to understand what happened.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I think the answer to why did we collapse against Bonnies when other teams didn’t collapse has a lot to do with the mental and physical exertion that it took from the team over the course of several weeks to turn the season around, including two road OT wins in maybe the two hardest places to play in the league. Every team’s situation is a little different with roster depth, injuries, fatigue, etc. I think the mental/emotional aspect of it is easy to overlook - sometimes adrenaline can carry you past the point of what you’re probably able to do physically, but if/when that wears off it can cause an immediate crash. Maybe the jolt from Bonnies’ run to close the half halted our momentum and we just didn’t have enough gas left to ramp it back up. I can’t really speak to SLU’s situation, but I do think what happened to us is understandable even if it is disappointing.

Having a “no excuses” approach is good for the team as a device to stay focused and not give up when stuff goes against you, but as fans doing a postmortem I think it is reasonable to consider everything in order to try to understand what happened.
Not saying this sarcastically - but I think Friday was our "super bowl" - you could almost feel it. Fans, everyone felt like we accomplished everything we needed to for a successful season and we all kinda figured we'd just go to the dance.

We also started out like we'd blow the doors of off the bonnies and then at some point it just gave out.

I agree with the whole "mental exhaustion" thing where the VCU victory finally felt like we'd turned the season around and everyone could exhale calling the year a "success" based on how lost it looked a month ago.

It's a shame to lose when it felt like everything had lined up for us to go and dance again, but I'm happy with how the season ended and the freshman getting to experience the lows and highs.

The whole starting lineup returns with some key bench guys getting older and a few impact freshman coming.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I think the answer to why did we collapse against Bonnies when other teams didn’t collapse has a lot to do with the mental and physical exertion that it took from the team over the course of several weeks to turn the season around, including two road OT wins in maybe the two hardest places to play in the league. Every team’s situation is a little different with roster depth, injuries, fatigue, etc. I think the mental/emotional aspect of it is easy to overlook - sometimes adrenaline can carry you past the point of what you’re probably able to do physically, but if/when that wears off it can cause an immediate crash. Maybe the jolt from Bonnies’ run to close the half halted our momentum and we just didn’t have enough gas left to ramp it back up. I can’t really speak to SLU’s situation, but I do think what happened to us is understandable even if it is disappointing.

Not saying this sarcastically - but I think Friday was our "super bowl" - you could almost feel it. Fans, everyone felt like we accomplished everything we needed to for a successful season and we all kinda figured we'd just go to the dance.

We also started out like we'd blow the doors of off the bonnies and then at some point it just gave out.

I agree with the whole "mental exhaustion" thing where the VCU victory finally felt like we'd turned the season around and everyone could exhale calling the year a "success" based on how lost it looked a month ago.

It's a shame to lose when it felt like everything had lined up for us to go and dance again, but I'm happy with how the season ended and the freshman getting to experience the lows and highs.

The whole starting lineup returns with some key bench guys getting older and a few impact freshman coming.
I went to the Auburn - Tennessee game yesterday - it reminded me of our situation. Tennessee came out with some energy, but once they were behind they got their doors kicked in. They exerted all their energy against Kentucky on Saturday and didn't have anything left when the lesser (by name) opponent showed up.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I think I am the only person here that puts the majority of the blame for the loss on Cox. Said to a buddy after the game that I was ready to move on from Cox after watching him on the sideline in Brooklyn which was a total overreaction, but I am still disappointed. There were a few things that I thought Cox completely whiffed on in the game that let it get out of hand.

1. Not calling a time out while the lead withered at the end of the first half.
2. 0 minutes for Omar. 0? Really?
3. Where was Preston in the middle of the game? Could have used the help on the glass.
4. We had no one crashing the offensive glass after the midpoint of the first half. Every shot that went up our entire team was already running back. (STB had no fast break, so why no rebounders?)
5. The image of Cox standing there with hands on hips with a blank stare as it fell apart was very discerning. He had no clue what to do.

I don't care if the game doesn't end the way we want, but it should look like the coach is trying something to stop the bleeding. He threw in the towel with 15 minutes left in the game. Just my 2 cents. I am hopeful he will be better and Rhody will continue to move forward, but his performance Saturday makes me nervous.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

From speaking to a couple of people I know who were at the game, they said our downfall started when the Bonnies went to a 2-3 zone...and we stopped attacking the rim...settling for jumpers and no rebounding either.

Now we have done well against a zone at times this season...wonder why no adjustments were made?

A timeout late in the first half to make adjustments for that might well have stemmed the tide and kept a decent lead going into the half.

I guess it's easy to pick apart the coach when things go wrong....but yeah Cox could have handled it better, looking at it now.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago From speaking to a couple of people I know who were at the game, they said our downfall started when the Bonnies went to a 2-3 zone...and we stopped attacking the rim...settling for jumpers and no rebounding either.

Now we have done well against a zone at times this season...wonder why no adjustments were made?

A timeout late in the first half to make adjustments for that might well have stemmed the tide and kept a decent lead going into the half.

I guess it's easy to pick apart the coach when things go wrong....but yeah Cox could have handled it better, looking at it now.
I don't think he had timeouts left. The traps caused us to call two timeouts.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Who was the primary PG when Bonnies went zone?

If Fatts, maybe he's not yet good at adjusting on the fly....JD I would think would recognize the change and change the offense?

Certainly explains why ball movement and our uptempo pace stopped.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago From speaking to a couple of people I know who were at the game, they said our downfall started when the Bonnies went to a 2-3 zone...and we stopped attacking the rim...settling for jumpers and no rebounding either.

I don't think he had timeouts left. The traps caused us to call two timeouts.
He called 0 timeouts in the first half.
You might be confusing the bona game with the vcu game,
where multiple timeouts were called in the first half,
and then another was needed in the first 10 min or so of the second.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

They also started hitting multiple 3s in a row and then stopped us on defense. Easy way to build momentum.
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah I think we just got a little shell shocked after st Bonaventure started hitting shots.

After we built that lead so easily the whole team and us fans just assumed we were going to the championship game.

They got some deer in the headlights looks going on after that.

We tried to fight back but couldn't keep it up and lost any belief we could get it done.

Momentum went to st Bonaventure and it stayed there.

Our guys haven't successfully fought back and won after getting down too often this year and that was less likely to happen under those circumstances.