Rhody MBB Scholarship Tracker

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: Rhody MBB Scholarship Tracker

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I guess in this day and age we keep recruiting '23s even though there are no scholarships available. But how does the staff explain that to a recruit? 'We expect someone to leave"? It sure is a different time.
It does sure seem different. I don’t know if I like it. I always liked rosters with mostly 4 year committed players growing and developing together. Now, it seems to be a constant process of how and when to upgrade. But then, maybe it has really always been that way and I just wasn’t paying close enough attention.

But, if Archie wins this way - and I am confident he will sooner or later - then, I will be sure to like it! :D
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I guess in this day and age we keep recruiting '23s even though there are no scholarships available. But how does the staff explain that to a recruit? 'We expect someone to leave"? It sure is a different time.
Yes 78, several or maybe all P6 conferences allow you to over-recruit by 2 slots, the B10 for sure.
Of course, this is in anticipation of losing some players.

It seems that we are or were heavily recruiting some guards for the '23 class.
Curious to see how this all shakes out.

We do have a roster that is loaded with youth, 6 players with 4 years and 5 players with 3 years left.
Also, some very highly rated recruits out of HS/Prep.

Wonder if any of the true freshman decide to RS this season.

Plus, there are some injury concerns or history, with several of our new additions and Samb.

if the health issues are all behind them and if they play up up to their talent level and recruiting hype, we will be a force in the not-too-distant future.

Lots of ifs, but certainly something to look forward to and be excited about.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Yes 78, several or maybe all P6 conferences allow you to over-recruit by 2 slots, the B10 for sure.

We do have a roster that is loaded with youth, 6 players with 4 years and 5 players with 3 years left.

Plus, there are some injury concerns or history, with several of our new additions and Samb.

if the health issues are all behind them and if they play up up to their talent level and recruiting hype, we will be a force in the not-too-distant future.

Which leads me to this question. If we still have 13 scholarships full for the '23-'24 season, can a '23 recruit sign an NLI in November?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

Which leads me to this question. If we still have 13 scholarships full for the '23-'24 season, can a '23 recruit sign an NLI in November?
Yes, some schools do it as long as it is paired down by enrollment time.
Nebraska had 15 scholarships for this up-coming season, but now back down to 13 (2 left to play professionally and decided not to use their final year of eligibility).
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Players are churning, so it makes sense for teams as well.
NCAAs or Bust!
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Updated with Adrian Myers commit.
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
*Note: Update assumes Jalen Carey does not take extra grad year at RhodyMBB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago Updated with Adrian Myers commit.

RhodyMBB_Grid.png

*Note: Update assumes Jalen Carey does not take extra grad year at RhodyMBB
He won’t - going pro. Book it.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Getting crowded at the inn here, which is nice to see. I wonder if Archie *knows* someone else will be leaving, or if he's just playing the overwhelming odds.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Getting crowded at the inn here, which is nice to see. I wonder if Archie *knows* someone else will be leaving, or if he's just playing the overwhelming odds.
Now let the speculation begin, who leaves, or will KC sign?

Do we start a thread or discussion on which player enters the portal first or who doesn't sign in November?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

My way too early guess...Thomas probably isn't back after this season. Looks like there will be an awful lot of guards in front him.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

I’ll update the grid later this weekend. Will have to add a 14th roster line which seems odd but we’ll go with it for now.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago I’ll update the grid later this weekend. Will have to add a 14th roster line which seems odd but we’ll go with it for now.
Might want to separate the verbals in one section, vs. those on the roster. idk. Or, maybe just note the limit of scholarship players per year. As is right now, if everyone signs, we're full on scholarships for 2024-25 as well, which... seems unlikely to me, that Archie just isn't going to recruit after two seasons worth of results at URI.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

No more than 9-10 players will get serious playing minutes. Therefore, 3-4 players will be looking to move on or Archie will want them to move on. Having a roster spot for a high level new recruit will not be a problem. It is not like getting a degree FROM URI is that big of a deal for the vast majority of these players.
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago I’ll update the grid later this weekend. Will have to add a 14th roster line which seems odd but we’ll go with it for now.
Even though a little unusual for us, over-signing is fairly common to some schools.
Safe to say slots opening up probably won't be an issue.

Below is a '22 list of how many players from the A10 entered the portal:
Loyola/Chicago - 2
Richmond- 2
Dayton - 3
GW - 3
Davidson - 4
VCU - 4
Fordham - 5
UMass- 5
St. Joe's - 5
SLU - 5
URI - 6
Duquesne - 7
GM -7
La Salle - 9
Bonnies- 10
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I’m not going to lie - I don’t like the idea of being over the scholarship amount. However, I am all for bringing in as many guys who can shoot at a high level as possible. So I am torn. I also acknowledge that there are behind the scenes things going on that probably sort this out - at least I expect that with a seasoned coach like Archie.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Maybe Ant Harris is only coming for a year? He is 22 years old now.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Maybe Ant Harris is only coming for a year? He is 22 years old now.
I would be very surprised if he does.
Even though he spent 3 years at UNC only played limited minutes (11-12) in 35 games.

Archie made it very clear, he only wanted to bring in players that will be here for multiple years, all had at least 3 years eligibility.
He wasn't looking for a 1-year fix.

Of course, players can always be dissatisfied with their playing time and decide to move on.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago No more than 9-10 players will get serious playing minutes. Therefore, 3-4 players will be looking to move on or Archie will want them to move on. Having a roster spot for a high level new recruit will not be a problem. It is not like getting a degree FROM URI is that big of a deal for the vast majority of these players.
Archie brings in young players who learn from the older players. That's his philosophy. Unless you're an exceptional talent coming in as a freshman, you're going to be sitting and watching a lot. Do you really think the 3 freshmen are going to bail after one year if they don't play a lot? I'm sure Archie has been up front with them on what his vision is and how he wants to build this program. They're not going anywhere.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Even though a little unusual for us, over-signing is fairly common to some schools.

Loyola/Chicago - 2
Richmond- 2
Dayton - 3
GW - 3
Davidson - 4
VCU - 4
Fordham - 5
UMass- 5
St. Joe's - 5
SLU - 5
URI - 6
Duquesne - 7
GM -7
La Salle - 9
Bonnies- 10
Thanks for posting this, Jersey.

What’s the average of above? Roughly 5.

I could see the number coming down some but spiking in some years due to coaching changes.

Big difference from when I started following college bb around 47 years ago.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Loyola/Chicago - 2
Richmond- 2
Dayton - 3
GW - 3
Davidson - 4
VCU - 4
Fordham - 5
UMass- 5
St. Joe's - 5
SLU - 5
URI - 6
Duquesne - 7
GM -7
La Salle - 9
Bonnies- 10

I could see the number coming down some but spiking in some years due to coaching changes.

Yeah, I have no issue with over-signing, especially bringing in players that will help improve the team and program going forward.

The scholarship #'s will work itself out.

I trust Archie and prefer this approach rather than scramble the last minute trying to fill roster spots.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I know this is highly unlikely, but what happens if all of the current eligible players DO decide they want to stay?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I know this is highly unlikely, but what happens if all of the current eligible players DO decide they want to stay?
78, I wouldn't be concerned because that won't happen.

If all the current roster players do stay, then maybe one of the committed recruits don't sign or opt out and never enroll.
That probably won't be the case because after the season when Archie meets with the players and evaluates them, not all will be happy, and some may decide to move on.

In any case most athletic scholarships are year to year and players that under-perform or recruited over, can be forced out (run-off).
Actually, that was one of the most common reasons for players being granted a waiver, once they transferred.

https://thewire.signingdaysports.com/ar ... olarships/
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Archie brings in young players who learn from the older players. That's his philosophy. Unless you're an exceptional talent coming in as a freshman, you're going to be sitting and watching a lot. Do you really think the 3 freshmen are going to bail after one year if they don't play a lot? I'm sure Archie has been up front with them on what his vision is and how he wants to build this program. They're not going anywhere.
I believe Archie aims to bring in the best players that he can recruit as well as play the most talented players regardless of their class. This isn't D3. Players will be recruited over and will move on to programs where they have a better opportunity to play. I confidently predict that 2+ players with eligibility remaining will leave after this season. That should leave 3+ openings for new players.
NCAAs or Bust!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

In general and looking at it from a players and competitors perspective, it’s understandable to want to be at a program where you can play, start, contribute or, have an opportunity to win (oops almost forgot…or make more NIL $’s). If that opportunity isn’t available where you are then, it makes sense to find that opportunity elsewhere.

But, I could see some players sticking with their team - despite the reasons above - if they have a chance at a good run in March. The potential excitement and memories could be worth the trade-off for some.

Also, I’m sure aspirations, peers, family, advisors can make decisions difficult.

Another good discussion during slow season.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Loyola/Chicago - 2
Richmond- 2
Dayton - 3
GW - 3
Davidson - 4
VCU - 4
Fordham - 5
UMass- 5
St. Joe's - 5
SLU - 5
URI - 6
Duquesne - 7
GM -7
La Salle - 9
Bonnies- 10

I don't really think you can count on the average number, since the bulk of those programs fired their coach. Bonaventure is the weird outlier, and that's more because they basically only played 5 guys the whole year, all seniors, who either graduated or grad-transferred out. (It's almost like that's a bad idea, when it comes to roster construction.) I think if Miller is successful, the yearly transfers will be in the 1 to 3 range, although it wouldn't surprise me if going from 2022-23 to 2023-24 is very volatile.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

Loyola/Chicago - 2
Richmond- 2
Dayton - 3
GW - 3
Davidson - 4
VCU - 4
Fordham - 5
UMass- 5
St. Joe's - 5
SLU - 5
URI - 6
Duquesne - 7
GM -7
La Salle - 9
Bonnies- 10

I don't really think you can count on the average number, since the bulk of those programs fired their coach. Bonaventure is the weird outlier, and that's more because they basically only played 5 guys the whole year, all seniors, who either graduated or grad-transferred out. (It's almost like that's a bad idea, when it comes to roster construction.) I think if Miller is successful, the yearly transfers will be in the 1 to 3 range, although it wouldn't surprise me if going from 2022-23 to 2023-24 is very volatile.
Don't disagree SG.
The A10 had 6 HC changes this year plus 2 HC in only their 2nd season.

As mentioned before, currently our scholarships are filled through 24-25'
So yeah, I also anticipate increased portal activity for a little while longer.

With that said, Archie will only over-sign if he brings in a player that he feels will be a better fit or fills a need.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago ...
With that said, Archie will only over-sign if he brings in a player that he feels will be a better fit or fills a need.
Wouldn't to do otherwise weaken the team? What coach would do that?
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago ...
Wouldn't to do otherwise weaken the team? What coach would do that?
Actually, I can't recall how many times in the past that any of our HC have over-signed.

However, many times they left open a scholarship or two.

Dubs fills a definite need for us, and I give our staff props for getting his commitment.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Don't disagree SG.

Take the last 2 years had 1800 players in D1 Portal. 350 teams = 5.1 average transfers per team

Included Covid, included no penalty to sit out a year last season.

Now about to approve no sit out penalty for any player plus now NIL has been implemented. Let the bidding wars begin.

Coaches over-signing makes sense if the coach believes in the law of transfer averages. Out roster right now is 15 players along with 12 staff.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Don't disagree SG.

Take the last 2 years had 1800 players in D1 Portal. 350 teams = 5.1 average transfers per team

Now about to approve no sit out penalty for any player plus now NIL has been implemented. Let the bidding wars begin.

Coaches over-signing makes sense if the coach believes in the law of transfer averages. Out roster right now is 15 players along with 12 staff.
I like the signing and expect we will have 2-3 guys leave after the season , that’s just college hoops these days
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago
Hi Cams, thanks for posting.

Can you give a brief summary? Need to subscribe to read the complete story.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

Don't disagree SG.

I like the signing and expect we will have 2-3 guys leave after the season , that’s just college hoops these days
Last two seasons 1800 went to portal. 350 teams makes average of 5.1 players per team.

I’d expect at least the average portal 5 players for URI since so many players are 1st year with URI and this team is very much in transition. I’d expect 1 or more before November and/or possible portal entries by 2nd semester this year. Just so many minutes to go around.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

No disrespect to the guys they’ve brought in, but I wouldn’t get overly attached to the guys who end up being on the fringe of the roster. I think what we saw this spring and summer was them collecting a bunch of guys, likely knowing they are kind of throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. You can trust the staff and also acknowledge that not all of these guys are going to work out. Sometimes guys who are not highly ranked and who are not recruited all that much got that way for a reason. They’ve brought in enough, especially with the guards, to see progress, but I expect there will be a lot of turnover at the end of the 22-23 season in a way that makes the team better.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 1 year ago

Last two seasons 1800 went to portal. 350 teams makes average of 5.1 players per team.

I’d expect at least the average portal 5 players for URI since so many players are 1st year with URI and this team is very much in transition. I’d expect 1 or more before November and/or possible portal entries by 2nd semester this year. Just so many minutes to go around.
Ramster, I give you credit for sticking to your guns about roster changes by Nov 1st.
You haven't changed your feeling on this for over 2 months.

I still don't necessarily agree with you that we will lose any players by 11/1 but wouldn't be shocked if that does happen.

Either way the staff is very aggressive in trying to upgrade our roster and building for the future.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Dubsky commit. That would give Rhody 14 scholarship players in '23-'24, barring any changes.
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago Updated with Dubsky commit. That would give Rhody 14 scholarship players in '23-'24, barring any changes.

RhodyMBB_Grid.png
Cam, just keep adding in boxes. :)
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s one thing to be “recruited over” after you’ve played, it’s something different when you haven’t even played in a game for your coaches! Archie needs this to work out. He’s going to be ruthless, which I guess is good if you’re a fan.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

ace wrote: 1 year ago It’s one thing to be “recruited over” after you’ve played, it’s something different when you haven’t even played in a game for your coaches! Archie needs this to work out. He’s going to be ruthless, which I guess is good if you’re a fan.
Agreed. In Archie we trust I suppose. Not our jobs to worry about how the roster comes together.

That being said a number of options to get us back to the right #.

Does KC still come? Prep year and push him out a year?

Bassy seems like the, very, odd man out unfortunately. Great kid but don’t know that he justifies a scholarship.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good take, Ace. That’s the very tough decision side of college bb for all parties involved. And, as the salaries and resources increase, the stakes rise. Winning isn’t a wish, it’s required as we all know.

I’d like to think that the coaches we have had come through the program did their best for all parties involved, including using their networks to help players find a landing spot where they can play and carry on their education. But, I’ve never been so connected to the program to know for sure that’s the case. It’s just my observations over the years on the periphery, including some interactions with the administration and coaches.

I think turnover will settle down as Archie gets his type of players in the program.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated with Cam Estevez commit. A lot can happen in a year, but we would be over by 2 scholarships for '23-'24. Interesting to see Archie's approach to recruiting given today's landscape with the portal and NIL.
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Arch is going to take the best players and the best players will ultimately get the most playing time . I’m guessing the guys who don’t look to be in the rotation are the ones who will ultimately transfer nothing wrong with that
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Arch is going to take the best players and the best players will ultimately get the most playing time . I’m guessing the guys who don’t look to be in the rotation are the ones who will ultimately transfer nothing wrong with that
It’s a new world. You almost have to plan to have guys transfer every year.

Not for nothing every player outside of the twins transferred down a level. I’m sure someone like a Bassy may not really see the floor. Who knows about Samb.

I trust Arch and trust the guys they’re bringing in.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Not all coaches over-recruit, and it’s still kind of wild, though. Coaches go through all this recruiting, telling guys they want them and that they’re special and it’s all about relationships and family and then months later it’s all, who are you? I trust that the coaches who are actually good people support the guys they push out and get them set up somewhere, but it still leads to a weird season-long dynamic.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago Arch is going to take the best players and the best players will ultimately get the most playing time . I’m guessing the guys who don’t look to be in the rotation are the ones who will ultimately transfer nothing wrong with that
It’s a new world. You almost have to plan to have guys transfer every year.

Not for nothing every player outside of the twins transferred down a level. I’m sure someone like a Bassy may not really see the floor. Who knows about Samb.

I trust Arch and trust the guys they’re bringing in.
We all trust Archie, but every coach has swings and misses.
Regardless of who the HC is, not every recruit or transfer works out.

At this point, I have no idea of the immediate impact of any of our players.

Although I do like the youth, upside, and talent level of our roster and am excited about our future.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 1 year ago Not all coaches over-recruit, and it’s still kind of wild, though. Coaches go through all this recruiting, telling guys they want them and that they’re special and it’s all about relationships and family and then months later it’s all, who are you? I trust that the coaches who are actually good people support the guys they push out and get them set up somewhere, but it still leads to a weird season-long dynamic.
Ace, I understand you are close to certain coaches, like DH, and programs and are much more intimate and knowledgeable than me in these matters. Therefore, I value your takes in this issue as well as others.

I envy that close, firsthand connection you have to certain programs and the close connection certain KB’ers have to the Rhody program. In the past, I was more involved with the university and had the opportunity to interact with university leadership and including Thor. I trust their (particularly Thor’s in this issue) sincerity in balancing what is best for the students in their care with those of URI as a whole. It’s not an easy job nor one to take lightly as I am sure you and many here understand.

I trust that Thor and the leadership hired a coach, in Archie, that shares their values. That is all I can go by at present.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote: 1 year ago Not all coaches over-recruit, and it’s still kind of wild, though. Coaches go through all this recruiting, telling guys they want them and that they’re special and it’s all about relationships and family and then months later it’s all, who are you? I trust that the coaches who are actually good people support the guys they push out and get them set up somewhere, but it still leads to a weird season-long dynamic.
Ace, I understand you are close to certain coaches, like DH, and programs and are much more intimate and knowledgeable than me in these matters. Therefore, I value your takes in this issue as well as others.

I envy that close, firsthand connection you have to certain programs and the close connection certain KB’ers have to the Rhody program. In the past, I was more involved with the university and had the opportunity to interact with university leadership and including Thor. I trust their (particularly Thor’s in this issue) sincerity in balancing what is best for the students in their care with those of URI as a whole. It’s not an easy job nor one to take lightly as I am sure you and many here understand.

I trust that Thor and the leadership hired a coach, in Archie, that shares their values. That is all I can go by at present.
Who did you used to be here?
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 1 year ago

No one, Ace (I am sure the mods can confirm). I just never had the time to do more than lurk here before. Never was a social media guy but I decided to jump in here after I had to retire due to illness.

When I was working (not for URI) and active, I volunteered a great deal of time on different boards including at URI. As a result, I interacted with much of URI leadership over the years. But, not any boards for the athletic department. I wish I had that opportunity but unfortunately, my areas of knowledge were not athletics related so I tried to serve the university community in other areas.

KB and the crew here are my connection now and I enjoy it.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 1 year ago

No one, Ace (I am sure the mods can confirm). I just never had the time to do more than lurk here before. Never was a social media guy but I decided to jump in here after I had to retire due to illness.

When I was working (not for URI) and active, I volunteered a great deal of time on different boards including at URI. As a result, I interacted with much of URI leadership over the years. But, not for the university and the athletic department. I wish I had that opportunity but unfortunately, my areas of knowledge were not athletics related so I tried to serve the university community in other areas.

KB and the crew here are my connection now and I enjoy it.
JDrums you are the man and welcome to the board , I enjoy your posts
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks. This is a great place for Rhody fans to talk shop. Summers get real slow but, for this year anyway, Archie and staff’s stealth recruiting has kept it buzzing pretty good.