All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Tom Moore gets that HC job he wanted. HC of the White team in the Calhoun Charity Game :)
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote:Tom Moore gets that HC job he wanted. HC of the White team in the Calhoun Charity Game :)
You have to reward him somehow for the successful job he did in the past year.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

No Kevin Ollie?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:No Kevin Ollie?
Per Calhoun, Ollie was invited. Yeah sure he was.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote:
I was kidding, there was no way in hell he would show up, but of course the open invite was out there.
It's the only proper CYA move, especially knowing he'd never show.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Pretty cool that UConn does this

It be great if URI could have something like this down the road ???
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote:

Calhoun and his stooge Miller just wanted the opportunity to get a few more stabs in Ollie's back.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Just found this.

https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1585423 UConn greats expect program to climb back to elite status
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

They keep living in the past, going to take them time to be relevant again
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCONN Board taking shots at Syracuse fans posting on their own board. Stating Syracuse fans need to get with reality that they are living in the past. UCONN fans need to look in the mirror. I believe Syracuse was in the Sweet 16 last year. They play in the ACC not the AAC. They have one of the largest fan bases in the country. They have a Hall of Fame coach.

UCONN fans ignore that they aren’t in the Big East any more. That their conference doesn’t have a national TV deal and that they have sucked the last 3 years.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Taking shots at fans posting on their own board, you say?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If you want to get really meta, wait until the UMass board starts ripping us for ripping UConn fans for ripping Syracuse fans. Have the Syracuse fans ripped Duke fans posting on their message board yet? Maybe we can make a train all the way down to the Bryant board.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

reef wrote:They keep living in the past, going to take them time to be relevant again
We'll have to see what happens with the 2019 recruiting -- they are still involved with a lot of top prospects, many of whom already have final lists that include UCONN. Corey Evans (Rivals) has UCONN as the favorite for both James Bouknight and Akok Akok. UCONN is a finalist for Kofi Cockburn, and assumed one of the favorites for Precious Achiewa. Plus there are plenty of other guys they are involved with. It's not a terrible list for a team that is no longer "relevant." It's either going to serve as a spring-board going forward or a wake-up call that things might just be harder than anticipated.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bouknight and Akok would be a good class. Kofi and Precious would be a great class. We'll see.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
reef wrote:They keep living in the past, going to take them time to be relevant again
We'll have to see what happens with the 2019 recruiting -- they are still involved with a lot of top prospects, many of whom already have final lists that include UCONN. Corey Evans (Rivals) has UCONN as the favorite for both James Bouknight and Akok Akok. UCONN is a finalist for Kofi Cockburn, and assumed one of the favorites for Precious Achiewa. Plus there are plenty of other guys they are involved with. It's not a terrible list for a team that is no longer "relevant." It's either going to serve as a spring-board going forward or a wake-up call that things might just be harder than anticipated.
I agree with your last statement. Dan is doing an unbelievable job recruiting. The UCONN fans are delusional. I read Corey Evans article. He is biased towards UCONN. He narrows both Bouknight and Akok down to two schools and then just wings it on his “guess”. Akok is just as likely to select Syracuse or PC as he is UCONN. Btw, Bouknight is ranked #115 by Rivals (Corey writes for Rivals).
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:If you want to get really meta, wait until the UMass board starts ripping us for ripping UConn fans for ripping Syracuse fans. Have the Syracuse fans ripped Duke fans posting on their message board yet? Maybe we can make a train all the way down to the Bryant board.
The point is just how delusional UCONN fans are.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote:UCONN Board taking shots at Syracuse fans posting on their own board. Stating Syracuse fans need to get with reality that they are living in the past. UCONN fans need to look in the mirror. I believe Syracuse was in the Sweet 16 last year. They play in the ACC not the AAC. They have one of the largest fan bases in the country. They have a Hall of Fame coach.

UCONN fans ignore that they aren’t in the Big East any more. That their conference doesn’t have a national TV deal and that they have sucked the last 3 years.
I'd actually argue that URI fans are more delusional about how irrelevant they think UConn is/will be just based on the fact that many want so badly for UConn to continue to suck because of Dan. You mention that they sucked the last 3 years, which very conveniently leaves out that little National Championship they won 4 years ago. If UConn fans need to "look in the mirror" and are "delusional" based on thinking that a program 4 years removed from winning a National Championship can be relevant again with a very good new coach, then what do URI fans need to do. We haven't sniffed anything close to that kind of success in 20 years.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I've wanted UConn to suck for 45 years.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I've wanted UConn to suck for 45 years.
Totally get that, and have absolutely no problem with it. But wanting them to suck is one thing and using that emotion to try and convince yourself that a team that won a national championship 4 years ago is all of a sudden already irrelevant is another.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:UCONN Board taking shots at Syracuse fans posting on their own board. Stating Syracuse fans need to get with reality that they are living in the past. UCONN fans need to look in the mirror. I believe Syracuse was in the Sweet 16 last year. They play in the ACC not the AAC. They have one of the largest fan bases in the country. They have a Hall of Fame coach.

I'd actually argue that URI fans are more delusional about how irrelevant they think UConn is/will be just based on the fact that many want so badly for UConn to continue to suck because of Dan. You mention that they sucked the last 3 years, which very conveniently leaves out that little National Championship they won 4 years ago. If UConn fans need to "look in the mirror" and are "delusional" based on thinking that a program 4 years removed from winning a National Championship can be relevant again with a very good new coach, then what do URI fans need to do. We haven't sniffed anything close to that kind of success in 20 years.
I think Dan will do a great job at UCONN. Many Rhody fans want UCONN to suck but I don’t think Rhody fans are delusional about URI.
They didn’t win the National Championship 4 years ago. It was five years ago (April 2014) 2014, 15, 16, 17 & 18. They won that with players recruited to play for Calhoun in the Big East. The big shift down for UCONN was moving to the newly formed AAC to start the 2013 season. They made the tournament 2 out of the last 6 years. They had back to back losing records the last two years for the first time in 30 years.
The original Big East ended in April 2013. UCONN lost the pull of the Big East, the national TV contract, Jim Calhoun and was put on probation in a 2 year span. Since the National Championship they are 75-61.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote:
adam914 wrote:

I think Dan will do a great job at UCONN. Many Rhody fans want UCONN to suck but I don’t think Rhody fans are delusional about URI.
They didn’t win the National Championship 4 years ago. It was five years ago (April 2014) 2014, 15, 16, 17 & 18. They won that with players recruited to play for Calhoun in the Big East. The big shift down for UCONN was moving to the newly formed AAC to start the 2013 season. They made the tournament 2 out of the last 6 years. They had back to back losing records the last two years for the first time in 30 years.
The original Big East ended in April 2013. UCONN lost the pull of the Big East, the national TV contract, Jim Calhoun and was put on probation in a 2 year span. Since the National Championship they are 75-61.
Ok, call it 5 years then if you want. That still doesn't change anything. And I don't think most URI fans are delusional about URI either. But I also don't think UConn fans are crazy to think that they can be relevant again with a hot new coach, 5 years removed from winning a national championship. Even with all those other caveats you throw in, which I am very well aware of. So it would stand to reason that one with that line of thinking would have to also think URI fans are crazy to expect us to get back to where we were 20 years ago at a time where our conference was also much stronger then it is now and we had a much more high profile coach.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

They will be relevant, yes. They could be very relevant. But relevant to UConn fans means winning national championships. Could Dan win a national championship there? Sure he could. Is it likely? I'd say no. I'm sure Dan has very high expectations for that program in a couple of years. The fans expectations are nothing short of a national championship.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote:They will be relevant, yes. They could be very relevant. But relevant to UConn fans means winning national championships. Could Dan win a national championship there? Sure he could. Is it likely? I'd say no. I'm sure Dan has very high expectations for that program in a couple of years. The fans expectations are nothing short of a national championship.
The goal of every program should be to win national championships, it's just more realistic for some than it is others. It's all relative to the types of recruits you are bringing to your school and your ability to coach them in a successful manner. If Hurley lands this stellar recruiting class of Achiewa, Cockburn, Akok, Bouknight, and Player X, the heat is going to be a lot hotter than if he landed an "ok" class that still wanted to see him get some better results before making a commitment to the program... As it should be. You can't land a Top 3-5 recruiting class and just be happy making the tournament.

Likewise, I'd say programs just happy making it to the tournament every year are loser programs or loser fanbases. Obviously it's all relative, if you've had a crappy 15 years and then go on a nice run of making a few tournaments and winning a few games, that's one thing. But making the tournament 17 out of 18 seasons and rarely making Sweet 16's/Elite 8's is a joke and should be unacceptable. That's why Texas should have and did ultimately fire Rick Barnes.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I know people have a LOT of FEELINGS about UConn, but this alumni game they do has to be a lot of fun for their fans. Lots of players come back, and it’s a nice way to strengthen and connect the program. Plus, it raises money for a good cause.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men ... ssion=true
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:They will be relevant, yes. They could be very relevant. But relevant to UConn fans means winning national championships. Could Dan win a national championship there? Sure he could. Is it likely? I'd say no. I'm sure Dan has very high expectations for that program in a couple of years. The fans expectations are nothing short of a national championship.
The goal of every program should be to win national championships, it's just more realistic for some than it is others. It's all relative to the types of recruits you are bringing to your school and your ability to coach them in a successful manner. If Hurley lands this stellar recruiting class of Achiewa, Cockburn, Akok, Bouknight, and Player X, the heat is going to be a lot hotter than if he landed an "ok" class that still wanted to see him get some better results before making a commitment to the program... As it should be. You can't land a Top 3-5 recruiting class and just be happy making the tournament.

Likewise, I'd say programs just happy making it to the tournament every year are loser programs or loser fanbases. Obviously it's all relative, if you've had a crappy 15 years and then go on a nice run of making a few tournaments and winning a few games, that's one thing. But making the tournament 17 out of 18 seasons and rarely making Sweet 16's/Elite 8's is a joke and should be unacceptable. That's why Texas should have and did ultimately fire Rick Barnes.
So does that make PC a loser program because your fan base celebrates just making it to tournament every year as a major accomplishment. The success UCONN had winning 4 National Championships was a rarity. Kentucky and Kansas are two of the top 4 programs and they have each won 1 title in 20 years.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:

So does that make PC a loser program because your fan base celebrates just making it to tournament every year as a major accomplishment. The success UCONN had winning 4 National Championships was a rarity. Kentucky and Kansas are two of the top 4 programs and they have each won 1 title in 20 years.
I've had this discussion with people before -- given preseason expectations, I do not think PC necessarily overachieved in either of their 5 tournament appearances. PC never entered a season as a Top 25 team, and was always seen as a mid-conference contender. While the season ended in disappointing fashion, there was often overachieving to get there.

At some point once a coach has established his program, that has to end. The fact that Cooley is on the verge of bringing in back-to-back Top 15-20 recruiting classes, the pressure has to amp up. In the next 4 seasons, I believe it would have to leave a very, very poor taste to not have at least 1 team reach the Sweet 16. Those past results have led to the high-end recruits, practice facility, etc. Now he needs to translate the resources into high-end results.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This seems like a slippery narrative for a PC fan to have, given 5 straight tourneys and 1 win to show for it. Then you say given recruiting over next 3-4 years you expect at least 1 Sweet Sixteen. So that would be what, 8-9 years of tourneys and 1 2nd weekend rub. Basically what you cited as Barnes failure.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCONN finally doesn’t make the cut down list on one of its recruits.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

They weren’t in on Lecque anymore. I’m sure I’m not remembering everyone, but I feel like Igiehon was the only one I recall them putting some time into and not making his list.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Heard that before.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:

I've had this discussion with people before -- given preseason expectations, I do not think PC necessarily overachieved in either of their 5 tournament appearances. PC never entered a season as a Top 25 team, and was always seen as a mid-conference contender. While the season ended in disappointing fashion, there was often overachieving to get there.

At some point once a coach has established his program, that has to end. The fact that Cooley is on the verge of bringing in back-to-back Top 15-20 recruiting classes, the pressure has to amp up. In the next 4 seasons, I believe it would have to leave a very, very poor taste to not have at least 1 team reach the Sweet 16. Those past results have led to the high-end recruits, practice facility, etc. Now he needs to translate the resources into high-end results.
PC Recruiting Classes
2016 ranked #46
Diallo 4⭐️
White 4⭐️
Young 3⭐️
Holt Jr College transfer

2017 ranked #21
MAL 4⭐️
Watson 4⭐️
Dickens 3⭐️

2018 ranked #21
Duke 4⭐️
Reeves 4⭐️
Nichols 3⭐️
Monroe 3⭐️

I don’t think he is on the verge. He is there. Three years in a row with two 4⭐️s and Holt. Three Top 50 and five Top 100 recruits.
The #2 recruiting class in the Big East the last two years.

Anything but Sweet 16 this year is a failure.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

theblueram wrote:Heard that before.
Cute, but Wong, Dawes, Bouknight, Gaffney are the guards they are prioritizing. It’s hardly a secret. They watched the Rens because of Kofi. They’re on Harris’s list, too, but that seems like a real long-shot.

ETA: and Rocket!
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ace, who was the recruit that talked about teaming up with Precious (going to the same college)?
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote:
Ace, who was the recruit that talked about teaming up with Precious (going to the same college)?
Lester Quinones. I haven’t heard him linked with UConn at all recently- not sure if that’s his choice or theirs or both. He left St. Benedict’s for IMG, and Precious left for Montverde.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote:
Cute, but Wong, Dawes, Bouknight, Gaffney are the guards they are prioritizing. It’s hardly a secret. They watched the Rens because of Kofi. They’re on Harris’s list, too, but that seems like a real long-shot.
I know ratings can be off but the ratings on the guards they prioritized has really dropped down
Wong #83
Bouknight #94
Gaffney #201
Dawes #240
All four were realistic targets at URI.

Guards Offered but no longer priorities
Lecque #13
Watts #38
Quinones #74

Front court priorities are their top recruits
Achiuwa #7
Cockburn #27
Akok #57
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote: Anything but Sweet 16 this year is a failure.
LOL - he has one experienced upperclassman with any track record (Diallo). Holt hasn’t played in a year and lost over 40 pounds due to his illness. Most are hoping he might be able to give 80% of what he was. Many talented underclassmen but also a lot of inexperience there as well. Key will be retaining the talented young players and developing through this season. Hopefully will compete for top half of the Big East and hopefully a top 8 seed in the tournament.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote:
ace wrote:
I know ratings can be off but the ratings on the guards they prioritized has really dropped down
Wong #83
Bouknight #94
Gaffney #201
Dawes #240
All four were realistic targets at URI.

Guards Offered but no longer priorities
Lecque #13
Watts #38
Quinones #74

Front court priorities are their top recruits
Achiuwa #7
Cockburn #27
Akok #57
I forgot Watts. Can’t believe I forgot a guy named Rocket!

His track record with guards is pretty good. I’ll let the numbers and rankings sort themselves out.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody83 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
PC Recruiting Classes
2016 ranked #46
Diallo 4⭐️
White 4⭐️
Young 3⭐️
Holt Jr College transfer

2017 ranked #21
MAL 4⭐️
Watson 4⭐️
Dickens 3⭐️

2018 ranked #21
Duke 4⭐️
Reeves 4⭐️
Nichols 3⭐️
Monroe 3⭐️

I don’t think he is on the verge. He is there. Three years in a row with two 4⭐️s and Holt. Three Top 50 and five Top 100 recruits.
The #2 recruiting class in the Big East the last two years.

Anything but Sweet 16 this year is a failure.
I thought Holt was a transfer from Indiana? Wasn't he a frosh with Stan?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Holt was dismissed from the Indiana team and then played a year at JC.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ace, I think Dan was interested in the higher rated guards (like Watts) but became more active with some of the other guards when the interest wasn’t there from the top rated guards.

RJ, what about Young (now a Jr who started last year) and White (a 4⭐️ who is a Jr). I also think Cooley is downplaying Holt which is a smart move on his part. Holt will be a significant contributor come BE time.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote:Ace, I think Dan was interested in the higher rated guards (like Watts) but became more active with some of the other guards when the interest wasn’t there from the top rated guards.

RJ, what about Young (now a Jr who started last year) and White (a 4⭐️ who is a Jr). I also think Cooley is downplaying Holt which is a smart move on his part. Holt will be a significant contributor come BE time.
White and Young combined averaged something like 10 points per game. Young probably is their 3rd big, while White is a reserve guard who can likely provide some scoring with little defense. Has shown nothing that he can be a highly impactful player, whereas Diallo has shown he has the ability to be a high-impact player. Even if Holt is 100%, there is a lot of pressure on MAL (would need to take a significant jump) and the 4 freshmen.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

You left out Watson. Top 100 Soph are counted on in college basketball. You have Diallo (first team BE), Watson, Holt, MAL, Duke and Reeves. The two Fr you are counting on are Top 50 as is MAL.

Edit: I forgot Jackson (Redshirt Sr) who scored 18 points tonight in Italy.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

They are playing the same teams as we did on our Italy tour after Dan’s first year. I was at those games, the comp is bad. D3 to D2 equivalent, all about the experience.

But I agree with 83, with the recruiting EC has done thus far the NCAA results have to be disappointing.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cooley recruiting rankings have been stellar the last few years but lack of NCAAT wins are disappointing. He definitely needs to start getting those going forward
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Imo Cooley is a very good recruiter but his bench coaching has been somewhat suspect.

To get to the next level, which means 2nd weekend and beyond, that separates the very good coaches from the good coaches, at least on a regular basis.

To my point, look at guys like Barnes and Skinner. Frequent NCAA tourney coaches, but what did they do once there? Yes talent and matchups are of course a factor, but we're talking multiple chances. Very good coaches max out that talent more often than not.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Thought everyone would get a good laugh out of the 2.0 reference.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody83 wrote:Thought everyone would get a good laugh out of the 2.0 reference.
Does that mean he'll get the Leg-humpers on probation twice as fast? Or for twice as long?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Not what UCONN fans wanted to hear. Precious was playing with other top HS players in the Summer Showcase at Dyckman today. The other recruits talked about visits they are going to take. Sounds like he is going to pick the school that positions him best for nba draft (one and done). Not sure that is UCONN.

The Bronx’s Precious Achiuwa — a 2019 forward who announced his transfer to Montverde (FL) Academy — wasn’t as ready to talk about specific schools as other players were, shaking off questions about his list and saying he doesn’t have any visits on the horizon. He did, however, share that his priority when he does get to college will be to get ready for the NBA:
“It’s going to be a place that’s going to get me to the next level. A place I can go in and out as quick as possible,” he said. “A place that I feel comfortable playing with the players there and the coaching staff. A place I’m really comfortable at.”
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Precious has described Rhode Island to a tee........
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !