2/27 | St. Joe's Hawks | 7PM (CBSSN) (Senior Night)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Re: 2/27 | St. Joe's Hawks | 7PM (CBSSN) (Senior Night)

Unread post by RAM67 »

I know I mentioned before about Martelli's coaching in that game, and a couple of people said they didn't have a problem with him keeping his starters in until the 1:48 mark, but I watched Mark Few a couple of nights ago where his team was up about 25pts and he took his best player (10 for 10 from 3) out with almost 10 min left. He then took out his entire starting team with about 5 minutes left. Which just confirms my point about the scumbag Martelli. His goal was not to just win, but embarrass Dan Hurley and the Rams. He will always be a low class coach in my mind.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

RAM67 wrote:I know I mentioned before about Martelli's coaching in that game, and a couple of people said they didn't have a problem with him keeping his starters in until the 1:48 mark, but I watched Mark Few a couple of nights ago where his team was up about 25pts and he took his best player (10 for 10 from 3) out with almost 10 min left. He then took out his entire starting team with about 5 minutes left. Which just confirms my point about the scumbag Martelli. His goal was not to just win, but embarrass Dan Hurley and the Rams. He will always be a low class coach in my mind.

Agree...he could have and probably should have taken his starters out earlier, but Dan does the same thing. I'm not sure there are any games this year that Dan put his bench in before the 3 minute mark. So you are really only talking a minute difference. And I'm not sure Dan ever meant to insult the other team by keeping starters in. I just think most college coaches are habitually on edge about blowing a lead as crazy as that may sound in this case.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Mark Few is a class act love that guy
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dan knows no lead is safe with this team.....lol....can't blame him a bit for leaving starters in.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Would love to see us stuff Martelli on Saturday and leave our starters in until the end....but we'll need the guys fresher for Sunday so I doubt he'd do it.....but just for once.....
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RAM67 wrote:I know I mentioned before about Martelli's coaching in that game, and a couple of people said they didn't have a problem with him keeping his starters in until the 1:48 mark, but I watched Mark Few a couple of nights ago where his team was up about 25pts and he took his best player (10 for 10 from 3) out with almost 10 min left. He then took out his entire starting team with about 5 minutes left. Which just confirms my point about the scumbag Martelli. His goal was not to just win, but embarrass Dan Hurley and the Rams. He will always be a low class coach in my mind.
Gonzaga was also playing in a conference tournament where resting your guys has a much greater benefit.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I don't see any scenario where Dan would want to embarrass a fellow league member in the same situation. NCAA seeding was on the line, and it wasn't St. Joes who was going to represent the A10. I wouldn't have been so pissed if it was earlier in the year.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RAM67 wrote:I don't see any scenario where Dan would want to embarrass a fellow league member in the same situation. NCAA seeding was on the line, and it wasn't St. Joes who was going to represent the A10. I wouldn't have been so pissed if it was earlier in the year.

First off, I don't think going into that game that URI's NCAA seeding was anywhere on St. Joe's radar. Nor should it be. I'm not in Martelli's head so I can't say whether or not he was trying to embarrass URI, but, like I said, Dan has left his starters in blowouts until the last couple of minutes as well and I never got the idea he was trying to embarrass anyone.

As a side note, Dan took his guys out of that game after Martelli. Why were Dan's starters still in a blowout game like that which had long since been decided? Was he trying to embarrass his players? ahhhh NO. Did he think he still had a chance to win down 30 with 4 minutes left? He probably though he had a 1 in a million chance so why not take it? Martelli probably thought the same thing so why not defend against it?

I know that all sounds ludicrous, but I truly believe that's what coaches think in games like that.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

It is ludicrous. I don't think I ever mentioned that I thought that was Martelli's thought going into the game, although it might have been, but I do believe he was definitely trying to embarrass Dan in the second half. Although I believe you are wrong, the question is not when Dan took his guys out, but when Martelli did.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RAM67 wrote:It is ludicrous. I don't think I ever mentioned that I thought that was Martelli's thought going into the game, although it might have been, but I do believe he was definitely trying to embarrass Dan in the second half. Although I believe you are wrong, the question is not when Dan took his guys out, but when Martelli did.

so when dan leaves his guys in blowout wins until the last 2 or 3 minutes (which he always does) is he trying to embarrass the other team? you can't have it both ways. unless of course you truly are inside the heads of all coaches. if I go back to the Dayton game thread...the game when URI had a 30 pt. lead late and Dan put Dadika, Leysard, Tertsea, Leviton, etc. all in the game with under 3 minutes left, will I see a post by you saying Dan was trying to embarrass Dayton?
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I have to agree that I did not care for that, but I am talking about a completely different situation, where a team was definitely in the NCAA's and seeding would be reflected by the outcome. Dayton would only be in if they win the tourney, and that outcome would have little to do with seeding, or the league.
I know from reading this forum that you like to be argumentative. but do it with someone else. I stated my opinion and I'll stick with it.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
RAM67 wrote:I don't see any scenario where Dan would want to embarrass a fellow league member in the same situation. NCAA seeding was on the line, and it wasn't St. Joes who was going to represent the A10. I wouldn't have been so pissed if it was earlier in the year.

First off, I don't think going into that game that URI's NCAA seeding was anywhere on St. Joe's radar. Nor should it be. I'm not in Martelli's head so I can't say whether or not he was trying to embarrass URI, but, like I said, Dan has left his starters in blowouts until the last couple of minutes as well and I never got the idea he was trying to embarrass anyone.

As a side note, Dan took his guys out of that game after Martelli. Why were Dan's starters still in a blowout game like that which had long since been decided? Was he trying to embarrass his players? ahhhh NO. Did he think he still had a chance to win down 30 with 4 minutes left? He probably though he had a 1 in a million chance so why not take it? Martelli probably thought the same thing so why not defend against it?

I know that all sounds ludicrous, but I truly believe that's what coaches think in games like that.
I'm pretty sure Dan took our starters before Martelli
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The way we were playing we couldn't have cut into the lead if Martelli had pulled his starters and replaced them with nobody.....lol
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

I'm pretty sure Dan took our starters before Martelli

There was a stop in the action. Martelli took his starters out and then Dan took his starters out during the same break. Watch the tape...
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

rambone 78 wrote:The way we were playing we couldn't have cut into the lead if Martelli had pulled his starters and replaced them with nobody.....lol

:lol: :lol: :lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Thinking there might be more "starters in/starters out thought/discussion" here on this board today... than there was between both coaches combined...? (Agree with rb78....if he replaced them with nobody...)
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RAM67 wrote:I have to agree that I did not care for that, but I am talking about a completely different situation, where a team was definitely in the NCAA's and seeding would be reflected by the outcome. Dayton would only be in if they win the tourney, and that outcome would have little to do with seeding, or the league.
I know from reading this forum that you like to be argumentative. but do it with someone else. I stated my opinion and I'll stick with it.

you can call me argumentative...I just prefer to see things from a neutral perspective rather than whine that everyone is out to get us. I'll say again that St. Joes (and any other team that plays us) should be playing the game with no regard as to our seeding in the NCAA tournament. you may be 100% correct. Perhaps Martelli was trying to rub our face in it. But unless he told you, it is just your unbiased opinion. And your opinion is not consistent. The only difference between what Martelli did and what Dan does is Martelli did it to you and Dan does it for you.

you are probably in the wrong place if you are looking for everyone to agree with all your opinions.

ps...our tourney seeding would have been effected no less by a 20 point loss than it may have been by a 30 point loss. Unless of course you are suggesting that Martelli should have just thrown the game for our seeding and the good of the A10.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

100% with you on Martelli Ram67

Which is why I called for the inner tube....
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

That inner tube is ALWAYS a good call...regardless of the situation.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Save it for Saturday.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Why the F is this thread still alive? Talk about a blip, anomaly game. Not going to have much impact on us. Trust me.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

TruePoint wrote:My appetite for a prolonged back and forth with you is at an all-time low right now. I said my piece. You post here only when the team plays poorly and people here are agitated, and it definitely looks to us like you are here to rub salt in the wounds. That isn't me being a board policeman; that is a near unanimous opinion here. I have a hard time believing you are ignorant to the way that comes across, but maybe you really don't realize it.

You don't break any rules - as you said, you don't curse or make personal attacks - so we haven't banned you or blocked you. My willingness to engage with you on this stuff is due solely to my hope that you will reconsider your approach or go away. You claim to be a life long, die hard fan who never misses a game, and for all I know that is the truth. You sure have a funny way of showing it, though. I sincerely welcome you to come here and take part in the conversation when things aren't going bad for the team - people with different perspectives are welcome as long as they are not deliberately antagonizing the rest of the fan base, and it would enhance your credibility when you want to fire off a hot take after a loss.
How come you don't ban people who do curse and do make personal attacks? That doesn't break any rules? I have never, ever claimed that I don't miss any games. Where did you get that from? I don't see every game. My first URI game dates back to Jack Kraft coaching on the bench, just to give you a little historical perspective. I don't post after only wins or after only losses. I have other things to do in my life besides watching every game and posting after every game. When I observe something that I deem relevant and insightful regardless of the outcome, that's when I say something. "So-and-so crapped his pants at the FT line" or "Great 3-point shooting by player X" is not insightful. It's usually obvious to 90% of the people who watch a game.