Preston Murphy Joins BC staff as Assistant Coach

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Reports: Preston Murphy to Join BC staff as Assistant Co

Unread post by ramster »

seanmc94 wrote:Reports have the raise being double his salary. I'm assuming they mean his new salary, which I believe is in the 250k range. IMHO, uri should match the offer. It's a short term pill to swallow to keep the program moving forward.
I am 100% agreeing with SeanMc.
Can't believe I just said that!!!
What a week.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Preston Murphy to Join BC staff as Assistant Coach

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: Thanks blue man, I've taken some crap here for my stand but URI cannot go down without a fight on this one, just can't. Time for Thorr to belly up to the bar, put those big boy pants on and say not on my watch you don't. A million dollars plus goes up in smoke to pay CFL and we are going to let an assistant coaching legend at uri go to BC as a second assistant? Not even a head coaching position? Sorry I have stepped on some toes here but Thorr and Dooley "step up to the freaken plate, please"
So is the assumption that the money is there and they are just choosing not to spend it?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Did anyone realize that the FSU Booster Club has a pot of 150 Million dollars?
Something comes up, like needing to pay cops off and hide a rape charge,
here's the $$$.
We've got some guy panhandling on Westminster Street, for fund raising.
The world of BCS sports is unimaginable to those of us who see times when
the school just could not do much to prevent someone from following the money.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Preston Murphy to Join BC staff as Assistant Coach

Unread post by TruePoint »

adam914 wrote:
ramster wrote: Thanks blue man, I've taken some crap here for my stand but URI cannot go down without a fight on this one, just can't. Time for Thorr to belly up to the bar, put those big boy pants on and say not on my watch you don't. A million dollars plus goes up in smoke to pay CFL and we are going to let an assistant coaching legend at uri go to BC as a second assistant? Not even a head coaching position? Sorry I have stepped on some toes here but Thorr and Dooley "step up to the freaken plate, please"
So is the assumption that the money is there and they are just choosing not to spend it?
Maybe they could just do the American thing and put it on a credit card? They have that black Amex in the athletic department?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

When I worked in the athletic department as a student they had these cards that you could bring to Subway and get a free sandwich anytime. Wonder if that's on the table in negotiations.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

But wait...this doesnt fit into our preconceived storyline!!!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Love Chris DiSano.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Love Chris DiSano.
He's the best, love him. Really knows his stuff.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Glad to see URI is pulling out all the stops to retain Murphy, really hope it works.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Would be terrific and best case scenario if they can find a way to keep him. Just want everyone to not lose their shit if they can't.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

no news is good news.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Would be terrific and best case scenario if they can find a way to keep him. Just want everyone to not lose their shit if they can't.
Yeah exactly, everybody was bashing them for not making an effort, so now hopefully since they are people will at least respect that the effort was there and it just didn't work out.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

adam914 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Would be terrific and best case scenario if they can find a way to keep him. Just want everyone to not lose their shit if they can't.
Yeah exactly, everybody was bashing them for not making an effort, so now hopefully since they are people will at least respect that the effort was there and it just didn't work out.
The State of Rhode Island no longer controls our fine institution. We are going to be alright.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

If Murphy leaves, I think it's a sign that God is dead, and I don't think that's an overreaction in the slightest.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I can only imagine what is truly going on behind the scenes. URI must know the recruiting loss of he leaves and is worried about that but maybe more importantly of they are able to keep him the message that sends to all the recruits and the perception about the program out there. If they are able to keep him, huge boost to the perception of the program.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:

But wait...this doesnt fit into our preconceived storyline!!!
+1
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

So Jim O'Brien gets canned at BC. BC hires Skinner while URI hires Harrick for two glorious years and falls off the map for more than a decade. URI nabs a great assistant, who may be headed to ... BC. If URI retains him, it would be a sea change.
They let Pat Skerry go to PC without a whimper.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think Dan is behind the effort to keep Preston.

Hopefully whatever is done will convince him to stay.

If he gets the coach-in-waiting status, and a raise to 175-200K a year, that will do it I hope.

Dan knows Preston is important to the program. Might also have something to do with Garrett's deleting his tweet. He's been told it's not a done deal.

Many folks are waiting on what happens. This could be big. If he goes, this will be a setback that will take a while to get over, and we will lose recruits.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Why do you care in the least if I 'lose my shit' if we lose Murphy? I get to be pissed, he's one of my favorite former players, a great recruiter and frankly I'm tired of the program taking these kinds of hits. Nobody here thinks the program is going to fall apart without him, but he's an excellent recruiter and we would/will have a gaping void without him. The fact is PM has a market value and we want to play with the big boys, so pony up Rhody. I doubt very much that we would have to straight out match BC's offer, so I agree with ramster, I believe the return on the value of Murphy at say $210,000 is better than what we would get at $120,000 from lesser talents. You've got to spend to make.

TP, please stop letting us embarrass you, that's on you bud, if you are embarrassed because some of us think this loss would be a hit to the program, then you are very easily embarrassed.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I care because it's dumb. I've said at least half a dozen times that I get being disappointed on a personal level, and I feel that, too. But what I don't get is making such a big deal about something that is pretty par for the course in college basketball and sports in general.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

It's dumb eh? Well, I think glossing over it as you would like to do is idiotic. How bout those apples Mr. Condescending?
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Further more, losing our two best recruiters, two years in a row will impact the program negatively, for those who suggest otherwise, get a clue.
Go Rhody!!!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

adam914 wrote:When I worked in the athletic department as a student they had these cards that you could bring to Subway and get a free sandwich anytime. Wonder if that's on the table in negotiations.
Wow free mews and emporium subway!

All in on that!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

SGreenwell wrote:
If Murphy leaves, I think it's a sign that God is dead, and I don't think that's an overreaction in the slightest.
Nice touch, SGreenwell, on Good Friday…………..
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote:It's dumb eh?

Yep. Be a grown up.
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I'm praying he stays...tweeting THorr and Hurley to make it happen
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Wonder if it's now "sleep on it and we'll talk in the morning"?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Chris +1!

Jack Andrade ‏@RealJackAndrade 2h
@RodfromCranston @CDiSano44 I never said it was final. I'm saying those who've been told the deal is done could still be right in the end
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Chris DiSano ‏@CDiSano44 19m
.@RealJackAndrade Just b/c someone may ultimately get right answer doesn't mean their scratch paper supports it. Typical premature reporting
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah that has always bothered me...when someone "declares" something and there is some chance they could be right without actually knowing. Guessing will make you smart less than it will make you dumb.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote:
Running Ram wrote:It's dumb eh?

Yep. Be a grown up.
Be a grown up?
What am I missing here?
Some of us are commenting on how Murphy leaving the program makes/would make us feel and you don't agree, so you call it "dumb"
Go back and read jack ass, nobody gets upset with you for how you feel. We are commenting about the subject of the thread and you are commenting on how embarrassed you are that we are so dumb. Guess what you're bringing out the kid in me. SCREW OFF ASS MONKEY! Oh and by the way, YOU'RE WRONG!! if it happens all the time show me where a team loses their associate head coach two straight years and it doesn't impact the program poorly. Go ahead, do some research instead of your usual conjecture.
Go Rhody!!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Billyboy, I think that might be happening.

Anyway, we should know something soon.

Hey, at least Preston knows a lot of people support him, and want him to stay.

Maybe even to the point of opening their wallets.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:I care because it's dumb. I've said at least half a dozen times that I get being disappointed on a personal level, and I feel that, too. But what I don't get is making such a big deal about something that is pretty par for the course in college basketball and sports in general.
True point,
I agree with you when you say you don't get making a big deal out of Preston Murphy leaving. I understand you feeling this way. I will not call you dumb for it. This is a message board and all are entitled to their opinions.
I have mine as you know but I get called dumb for it. Pretty well blasted yesterday.
But I will stand for what I said yesterday regardless of how dumb you think I am.
This to me is not a "par for the course in college basketball and sports in general" event.
I admit that I live and breath URI sports in general and particularly basketball and football so I have my prejudices, but this to me is a crossroads decision, a major point in the pathway of the university of Rhode Island basketball program.
Great URI basketball player and leader on the court
And off the court
One of our own
Future D1 head coach in the making
Great recruiter
Well respected by players, students, administration and alumni
Established pipeline to michigan that will be greatly diminished with his departure
Recruited jordan hare - of course many here don't think near of much of him as I do but I will rue the day that Jordan leaves uri since I think he has great ability - I know call me dumb
Is involved with many strong players in the 2015 class
Recruited the A10 freshman of the year
Recruited a top notch point guard who could challenge for all A10 freshman team in 2015
On
And
On
So if I am making too big a deal out of losing a guy like Preston Murphy to Boston college then I apologize. But I will not change my opinion because you think it is dumb.
Hopefully URI administration is seeing it more my way than your way and we will get to keep him.
If not I sincerely hope many other the past two days are right and this is not a big deal--------
I think it is a big, big deal and always will.
Call me dumb, stupid, ignorant, whatever.......it is who I am.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

A lot of good points,summary:
A. Good news=everybodys replaceable
B. Bad News=Preston was doing all the significant recruiting
C. Bad News=Prestons exit very easily may hurt short term 2- 3 years min. (for a team that does not have 2-3 yrs. min.).

Strictly empirical observation.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Where does this stand this morning? Rooke and Corduche are talking like it has happened.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Rhodyhooopz wrote:Where does this stand this morning? Rooke and Corduche are talking like it has happened.
Of course they are……Two impeccable "journalists" at their best.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I admit I have not read all of the posts(can't keep up). This is obvious to all that are following this but...I think Preston has one unique advantage when selling this program; he played in the tourney 3 years in row and made the elite 8 at URI...when he tells a recruit that the goal is deep NCAA runs, he can say it's possible...I did it. I think that makes him more valuable to us than potential replacements...his story can't be replaced. Especially at this point in time, when all you have is a vision to sell. He is living proof to recruits of what can happen when playing at URI.
Last edited by RIFan 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote:Where does this stand this morning? Rooke and Corduche are talking like it has happened.

If Rooke says he left, odds are probably good that he stays. That guy is clueless.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:

If Rooke says he left, odds are probably good that he stays. That guy is clueless.
That's giving him more credit than he deserves.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'll have to admit two things about Rooke though. He is both stupid AND a jerk.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

This is totally out of character with my general "glass half empty" philosophy. If this is a done deal with BC there would be a press conference or at least a press release by now.
There is no reason for BC to hold the news, unless it is bad news.

Could be many reasons for no official announcement, ranging from the lawyers are screwing up the contract and agreement proposal
at BC to the lawyers are screwing up the contract and agreement at URI.

With every passing hour and no news, the odds get better for URI.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

PM is the last connection here to the days when our basketball team was successful. As Ramster said, he's "one of our own". None of the other coaches have a personal connection to this school.
Sure, he's replaceable as a recruiter. We might even get someone who proves to be even better. Although, I wouldn't bet on it.
To many here, PM means a whole lot more than being just a great recruiter. He's someone who's been nothing but a class act since the first day he showed up on campus. Someone who would always greet people with a big smile, no matter how he may have been feeling at the time.
The fact that it took so long to name him to Dan's staff bothered many of us. Yet, I've never heard him complain (publicly, at least) or even make a negative comment about that.
He's someone who actually loves this school. And, he has worked endlessly to get the best recruits possible. As someone said earlier, his travel schedule alone would wear down most people.
It has to be bothersome that he may be taking a job as a #2 assistant when he's a #1 assistant here. I don't care how much money BC has. I know they're in a better conference and all that shit. But, BC isn't exactly a basketball powerhouse.
If he were leaving for a head coaching job, it would be more acceptable. It would still hurt, though. Preston is a hell of a lot more than just another coach who happened to work at URI.
In my opinion, the feelings and thoughts of the true RI fans should not criticized here. We're all fans and are entitiled to express ourselves.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Bill Koch, who has turned into a house boy, says BC needs to "vet" Preston, thought HR,
before an announcement.
Really? Seems to me he's a former employee, so much of that is still in their HR records.

As for this board, I've been accused of trying to stifle opinions I disagree with.
That I've gotten into personal battles with a couple of people.(OK, more than a couple) Guilty, as charged.
However, calling people, "ignorant", "childish", "dumb", and telling them to "grow up", strikes me as
getting personal. Using those words to counter a poster's opinions, and never addmiting to being
wrong, strikes me as hypocritical, since others are accused of doing the same.

As for Rooke and Cordischi, they have no inside information on what Murphy is doing.
Remember the running Twitter battle I had with Rooke over Shaka Smart's "done deal"?
Another one who never admits to being wrong.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

85 good words. He is the last link to great years. I remember how good it felt during that time, even being in St Louis at the hotel after the team lost to Stanford. All those players still came into the gathering and how I felt like they were my kids and how bad I felt for all of them. PMurph is one of us and I think this is why this feels different than if any other assistant was leaving.

Let's hope URI steps up and makes PMurph feel as special as we all felt back then.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Here's another thought. If URI really wants Preston as the next coach, circumstances will change drastically if he leaves. We all know how companies try to get current employees to take a "hometown discount" when promoted. Well, that ship may have already sailed. It would cost them a lot more to get him as a head coach. That's another economic benefit of keeping him now.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

What is the cost of hiring a new assistant coach....flying them in, wining and dining them, hotel accommodations, etc.? How much revenue will be lost a few years down the road when we don't get the type of recruits Preston has been getting and the RC is half empty? Take all these things into consideration and add them to Preston's salary. And for those who say losing Preston isn't a big deal and we'll still be getting top recruits, I don't buy that one bit.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not to mention idiots chuckling about URI being a mere
stepping stone employee, who can't keep key people from moving on for the money.
Rooke's article in GoLocal is just that, complete with comments from
The Ipswich Idiot, some donkey named Joe Adaomiwcz, who just has a raging
hard on for Hurley and URI.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

When I first gave my opinion on this I thought it was pretty much a done deal that he was leaving. I was sad he was leaving but thought he should be rewarded for doing a great job. However, I would much prefer that URI is the school that spends for his services! He does mean a great deal to the program.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Not to mention idiots chuckling about URI being a mere
stepping stone employee, who can't keep key people from moving on for the money.
Rooke's article in GoLocal is just that, complete with comments from
The Ipswich Idiot, some donkey named Joe Adaomiwcz, who just has a raging
hard on for Hurley and URI.

I looked up this idiot Adamowicz. He lives in MA. His facebook page has a GO FRIARS and one of his likes is Ed Cooley. He makes negative and dismissive comments regarding Rhody on every URI athletics story on the golocalprov site. He has Facebook comments that disparage UConn. He is in no way a fan of URI. He is a Friar fan. His words are meaningless.

Look up joe adamowicz on FACEBOOK
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Another computer "tough guy."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yes, RF1. I've seen his FB page. No family, no personal pictures,
just rants against the UConn men and women's programs.
I'm 99% sure he was the moron who used to trash URI in the
Projo comments, until they switched to FB for their comments.
I like when he says, "we" or "us", as if he's fooled us.
What's funny is, you can absolutely destroy him on his drivel, and he just keeps
insisting he's right.
He defends CFL, and rants that we haven't done anything for 15 years. When you tell him CFL was 11
of those years, he has no comeback.
Just a creep.