Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

someone post up the attendance tonight.

take it easy on JWU.
:lol:
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Because most probably think they won't get a straight answer (as, everyone already knows there isn't one...the science has no clothes), but just for fun, I reached out to the Gov's office just now:

"Why do people have to wear a mask to attend a Men's basketball game at the Ryan Center, but not to a Men's basketball game at the Dunk Center in Providence?

What is the basis/rationale for the difference?"

I'm pretty sure there will be no response...but I guess I could be wrong...will keep y'all posted.
Can't wait for the answer.. meanwhile other than game 4 of the alds, this is my first live entertainment in almost 2 years. 😷 And all hopefully hitting twisted for a nice cold 🍻 and a 🍕 and cheering on the Rams. Don't like wearing a 😷 but don't like even more missing games.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Because most probably think they won't get a straight answer (as, everyone already knows there isn't one...the science has no clothes), but just for fun, I reached out to the Gov's office just now:

"Why do people have to wear a mask to attend a Men's basketball game at the Ryan Center, but not to a Men's basketball game at the Dunk Center in Providence?

What is the basis/rationale for the difference?"

I'm pretty sure there will be no response...but I guess I could be wrong...will keep y'all posted.
Different controlling authorities.
The question is not "who", but "why". If Auth A says not required and Auth B says wear a mask...WHY is Auth B saying that? What is the basis? (Weird that I have to spell that out...but here we are).
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I also sent a comment to the governor. I asked, if the state is 90% vaccinated, why do we have an emergency order and why are kids masked. I said it seems less science and more political. I asked for him to provide precise data results that would prompt him to remove the emergency order and end all restriction. I'm expecting crickets.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I also sent a comment to the governor. I asked, if the state is 90% vaccinated, why do we have an emergency order and why are kids masked. I said it seems less science and more political. I asked for him to provide precise data results that would prompt him to remove the emergency order and end all restriction. I'm expecting crickets.
Same here... expecting a Cricket Fest...I mean, what can they say, really?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago Great, covid hot takes have spread from the covid thread to this one. If it spreads further, we may need to shut the board down for two weeks to stop the spread.

I also get a kick out of people calling others sheep when they belong to the party with a phrase "where we go one we go all"...which is literally what sheep do.
Wait...deciding whether you want to wear a mask or not is political? I thought it was all about "science"....Are you saying it's not?
Well, all I'll say is that people keep saying "but science", "I trust the science!".... so no scientist ever in the history of humanity has been wrong nor fudged or omitted data? For me it's not political or anything, I am OVER all of it.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

No but most science is peer reviewed by various groups, etc, so I'd trust that over some nutcase going against it with zero evidence to support it.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

The clear bag policy is kind of a joke. I had a small clutch that has a cross-body strap. The chick "checking" bags told me that I was not allowed to bring the bag next time and that it HAS to be clear. Like what do I use, a Glad bag? Kind of a stupid request when you're already going through a metal detector AND checking your bag. The clear bag policy - oh great here's my bag you can see my tampon and my debit card plus a lip gloss. I definitely won't bring the lip gloss next time since the mask and all.

Also, the WiFi still doesn't work. :evil: :roll:
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Curious about the security screening process/experience overall.

Were there mask police? Did it not really matter?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago The clear bag policy is kind of a joke. I had a small clutch that has a cross-body strap. The chick "checking" bags told me that I was not allowed to bring the bag next time and that it HAS to be clear. Like what do I use, a Glad bag? Kind of a stupid request when you're already going through a metal detector AND checking your bag. The clear bag policy - oh great here's my bag you can see my tampon and my debit card plus a lip gloss. I definitely won't bring the lip gloss next time since the mask and all.

empty weed bag
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….my experience last nite was this; first line check was vax card, they hardly looked at it, neva mind read it, coulda flashed a folded white other card, all it amounted to was a flash/pass to the next level of gate keeping which was metal detector pass through, not enough bins for phone/keys etc…….and bag check reminder for clear bag next time……mask on, took it off immediately once in seat, when and got large $6 coke, sipped it most all game with no mask on, no one I saw handing out masks in the arena, at gate maybe…….not horrible experience, but wonder what the point of this whole exercise is related to Covid…..Go Rhody……..
Ram logo via Grist 1938
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago The clear bag policy is kind of a joke. I had a small clutch that has a cross-body strap. The chick "checking" bags told me that I was not allowed to bring the bag next time and that it HAS to be clear. Like what do I use, a Glad bag? Kind of a stupid request when you're already going through a metal detector AND checking your bag. The clear bag policy - oh great here's my bag you can see my tampon and my debit card plus a lip gloss. I definitely won't bring the lip gloss next time since the mask and all.

OMG!! "Chick" U R Cancelled!!!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I also sent a comment to the governor. I asked, if the state is 90% vaccinated, why do we have an emergency order and why are kids masked. I said it seems less science and more political. I asked for him to provide precise data results that would prompt him to remove the emergency order and end all restriction. I'm expecting crickets.
Same here... expecting a Cricket Fest...I mean, what can they say, really?
ASK PSAKI!!!!!!!!!!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Does anyone know in the press conference if Cox said after the game that "the culture is back"
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

speaking of wifi, i was in my car and lost the game at one point. i assumed i drove out of range. i later turned back and the game was on and the announcer said the wifi crashed. so i guess that is still a thing.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

It only takes one nut case to infect hundreds of spectators in the Ryan Center with one cough.
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago It only takes one nut case to infect hundreds of spectators in the Ryan Center with one cough.
Good point. Masks for everyone forever. It's the only way.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Does anyone know in the press conference if Cox said after the game that "the culture is back"
Yea, not enough talk about that quote.
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago
McRam wrote: 2 years ago Does anyone know in the press conference if Cox said after the game that "the culture is back"
Yea, not enough talk about that quote.
"The culture is back" is saying nothing more than...."tenacious (really tenacious, not half-arse tenacious) defense is a good thing...we need to try that"
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I’m hoping the new pill will get them to retract the mask policy.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Why would the pill be any different from the vaccine?
2 shots plus a booster but still required to wear a mask as per Dr Walensky, Dr Fauci, Joe Biden, Dr Alexander, etc.
The pill is just a different way to ingest the vaccine, right?
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago It only takes one nut case to infect hundreds of spectators in the Ryan Center with one cough.
Stay home then
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Why would the pill be any different from the vaccine?
2 shots plus a booster but still required to wear a mask as per Dr Walensky, Dr Fauci, Joe Biden, Dr Alexander, etc.
It was my understanding the pill is what you’d take if you have covid. Not a cure but a therapeutic. I could be wrong, there’s obv lots of info and misinfo out there.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

The only time I even think about Covid anymore is on this forum.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Why would the pill be any different from the vaccine?
It was my understanding the pill is what you’d take if you have covid. Not a cure but a therapeutic. I could be wrong, there’s obv lots of info and misinfo out there.
You are right

https://news.yahoo.com/pfizer-says-effe ... p_catchall
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago Great, covid hot takes have spread from the covid thread to this one. If it spreads further, we may need to shut the board down for two weeks to stop the spread.

I also get a kick out of people calling others sheep when they belong to the party with a phrase "where we go one we go all"...which is literally what sheep do.
Wait...deciding whether you want to wear a mask or not is political? I thought it was all about "science"....Are you saying it's not?
Are you trolling? You must be because you can't be this dense. It is your new best friend who keeps making it political by taking unnecessary shots at the left. I just felt the need to call him on on it.

If you think masking isn't effective, then you're being foolish. It is one thing to think the inconsistencies in applying the making requirements is frustrating - I fully agree with you. It's also fine to ask for clarity on what rate of spread is low enough to remove the mandate and to challenge the mask rule if the vaccine proof/negative test requirement is in place - again, I fully agree with you. I just begin to disagree when people say there is no science to support the effectiveness of masking.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago

Are you trolling? You must be because you can't be this dense. It is your new best friend who keeps making it political by taking unnecessary shots at the left. I just felt the need to call him on on it.

If you think masking isn't effective, then you're being foolish. It is one thing to think the inconsistencies in applying the making requirements is frustrating - I fully agree with you. It's also fine to ask for clarity on what rate of spread is low enough to remove the mandate and to challenge the mask rule if the vaccine proof/negative test requirement is in place - again, I fully agree with you. I just begin to disagree when people say there is no science to support the effectiveness of masking.
I think what you are missing is that people are wearing masks in groups that don't masks on or in their cars because they think they are protecting themselves from the Virus which is a 100% not correct. The inconsistencies are their issue which make the masks a joke. I'm not sure why people who have been vaccinated and now also have booster shots need to wear masks. People that refuse to get the shots and are concerned should stay home.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If masking is effective, why have vaccine mandates? If masking is effective, why is every business in the state of RI mask free, yet every kid in school (who by the way are clearly not affected by this) mandated to wear masks. Clearly you don't have children in school. Otherwise, you would hear it everyday as I do.
steviep123
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

If masking is effective, why have vaccine mandates? If masking is effective, why is every business in the state of RI mask free, yet every kid in school (who by the way are clearly not affected by this) mandated to wear masks. Clearly you don't have children in school. Otherwise, you would hear it everyday as I do.
It's really all about minimizing risk. No one ever said masks were 100% effective, but if folks are wearing masks it significantly minimizes the risk of spreading it. That has always been the point that some people just seem to miss.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago

It's really all about minimizing risk. No one ever said masks were 100% effective, but if folks are wearing masks it significantly minimizes the risk of spreading it. That has always been the point that some people just seem to miss.
If brakes work, why have air bags? If air bags work, why wear seatbelts?

And to blueram, I have a daughter in kindergarten - she wears her mask all day without complaint. She's more of an adult than some people and she's 5.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

empty weed bag
Mine comes in a plastic container :lol:
theblueram
Frank Keaney

And to blueram, I have a daughter in kindergarten - she wears her mask all day without complaint. She's more of an adult than some people and she's 5.
Kyle I'm not trying to antagonize anyone here. My ire is at the politicians who have politicized this whole thing. My daughter is in high school. Trust me, I hear about the stupid masks every single day. Especially when all the kids are together all weekend, sleepovers, football games, parties etc. Then come Monday morning, wear a mask. They are not a happy bunch. It's ok though, they can vote in 2 years.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

It's always coming back to "but the science..." How many scientists in history have been wrong? How many have omitted or fudged data? Heck, 60+ years ago doctors encouraged pregnant women to smoke. If you're sick, stay home. It's as simple as that. I've never once felt "safer" by wearing a mask during this entire thing. Plus, if you're vaccinated you're vaccinated for your own safety, it has nothing to do with other people.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Kyle I'm not trying to antagonize anyone here. My ire is at the politicians who have politicized this whole thing. My daughter is in high school. Trust me, I hear about the stupid masks every single day. Especially when all the kids are together all weekend, sleepovers, football games, parties etc. Then come Monday morning, wear a mask. They are not a happy bunch. It's ok though, they can vote in 2 years.
Wearing a mask doesn't make someone "more of an adult" or "less of an adult" if they don't wear one. How 'bout we step out of other people's business and personal choices. You're spot on, man. Kids wearing a mask at school but the masks are off as soon as those kids walk out the door.

The thing with our useless career politicians is that they're all "masked" when it's a photo op for them. Other than that, they're NOT wearing a mask. Over it. Done. Byeeeee.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

And that's all fair. I think I posted this further up this thread, but I think it's perfectly fine to highlight and criticize inconsistencies in applying the guidance (masks at the RC but not the dunk, vaccinated adults don't need masks in stores/restaurants but vaccinated students need to mask up in jr/sr high schools where the vaccine is available to them). You're right to question the governing bodies creating and enforcing these policies. I just think people here are using science as a straw man argument and an unfair target of those who dislike mask mandates.

This isn't for you, specifically, but here are peer reviewed studies on the effectiveness of masks.
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... ll?fbclid=
https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/20 ... knoGPir4NE
https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202004.0021/v2

The science is there to back up the assertion that masks are effective at limiting the transmission of respiratory diseases. We should be redirecting our ire away from the scientists.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

And that's all fair. I think I posted this further up this thread, but I think it's perfectly fine to highlight and criticize inconsistencies in applying the guidance (masks at the RC but not the dunk, vaccinated adults don't need masks in stores/restaurants but vaccinated students need to mask up in jr/sr high schools where the vaccine is available to them). You're right to question the governing bodies creating and enforcing these policies. I just think people here are using science as a straw man argument and an unfair target of those who dislike mask mandates.

This isn't for you, specifically, but here are peer reviewed studies on the effectiveness of masks.

The science is there to back up the assertion that masks are effective at limiting the transmission of respiratory diseases. We should be redirecting our ire away from the scientists.
respectfully, folks are using science as the punch line because it's been RAMmed (see what I did there) down our throat's for nearly 2 years now by those in office. science this, science that. mask this, vax that, different rules in different settings for the same population of people, because you know, science.

don't want to be the butt of the joke? distance yourself from the jokers.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

99% of early elementary school kids don't complain about the masks because it's all they've known for 2 years.Also, school is a a place where they can be with their friends- very high interest.
Attending a college basketball game is high interest to those on this board. Whether its high interest enough to wear a mask for 2 hours is obviously up to the individual. For most it's not political, just a matter of enjoyment and comfort.
FYI- I have worn a mask all day every school day since last year. I wore a mask in my seats in early April during Red Sox games( It was worth it to me). I will probably not attend games at the RC if masks continue to be required- I'd rather watch at home.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

respectfully, folks are using science as the punch line because it's been RAMmed (see what I did there) down our throat's for nearly 2 years now by those in office. science this, science that. mask this, vax that, different rules in different settings for the same population of people, because you know, science.

don't want to be the butt of the joke? distance yourself from the jokers.
No, I get it. Science says that wearing masks is effective at preventing spread, that's the only stance "science" is taking. Science doesn't say when it's no longer necessary - that's on those who are in charge to determine. Doctors will always say we should wear masks, just like how my doctor always tells me I need a more balanced diet with more fruits and vegetables. If 100% of the world population wore masks 100% of the time, the number of cases reported for all kinds of infectious diseases would be near zero - which is a doctor's wet dream so of course doctors would recommend mask wearing.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Ditto - I have a 3 yo and a nearly 6 year old and both wear their masks all day without complaint. Some can learn from them. I get it - I don't want to wear a mask all day either, and thankfully I'm in a position where I don't have to, but good Lord, the complaints about it are just outlandish. Suck it up.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I look forward to the price hike of the beers in the pub.

Can't wait to pay Fenway prices for lukewarm beer that you can't even bring to your seat.
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago I look forward to the price hike of the beers in the pub.

Can't wait to pay Fenway prices for lukewarm beer that you can't even bring to your seat.
Large soda was $4.50 two seasons ago. Now it's $6.00. So, I'm guessing that you are right.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago I look forward to the price hike of the beers in the pub.

Large soda was $4.50 two seasons ago. Now it's $6.00. So, I'm guessing that you are right.
Inflation is back
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It's actually been a good way to discuss politics with my daughter and her friends. I tell them in Florida kids don't wear masks in school because they have a Republican Governor. You have to wear a mask because you have a Democrat Governor. Starting to hit home. I think they get it. They can all vote in 2024.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

They're increasing it from $8?

Good GOD all the more reasons I can understand why people want to watch at home.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Its a Biden Beer!
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago

Good GOD all the more reasons I can understand why people want to watch at home.
They very well could keep it at $8, but I’m expecting an increase.
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…….I will conduct some investigative reporting of prices for beer and wine n the Alumni Room pre-game…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

I am expecting one also. I know you don't *have* to have a beer or wine during a game, but any type of refreshment isn't unreasonable at a sporting event. Perhaps any increased cost in drinks is most likely a combo of inflation plus the anticipation of lost revenue for the season (plus no revenue for last season).
steviep123
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago It's actually been a good way to discuss politics with my daughter and her friends. I tell them in Florida kids don't wear masks in school because they have a Republican Governor. You have to wear a mask because you have a Democrat Governor. Starting to hit home. I think they get it. They can all vote in 2024.
One could argue that kids in Florida don't have to wear a mask because their Republican governor cares more about business than their well being and kids in RI have to wear a mask because there Democrat governor does care about their well being.

Also, Mass has a Republican governor and kids there have to wear masks, so that kind of puts a dent on your argument.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

I am expecting one also. I know you don't *have* to have a beer or wine during a game, but any type of refreshment isn't unreasonable at a sporting event. Perhaps any increased cost in drinks is most likely a combo of inflation plus the anticipation of lost revenue for the season (plus no revenue for last season).
The one thing that hasn't increased in price. Beer. At least at the liquor store.