David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Re: David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Unread post by Blue Man »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago A lot of people here have been put under a spell by Blueman that Archie is a realistic candidate. He is the 5% best case scenario, not what you should expect.

At a mid major like URI you should expect an up and comer from a lower tier conference or a reclamation project of a fired P5 coach. But know the guys in the latter category still have a lot of options
Maybe people are tired of “expected” and want to be as relevant as we were with Dan Hurley, immediately.

There’s no “up and coming” Dan Hurley out there. There was one guy, with that name, pedigree, and national basketball connections throughout media and coaching circles to get us to that level. Dan was it.

You ever want that buzz again? Wait 4 years after hiring the right “up and coming” coach, or hire a big name and be front page news tomorrow.

We’re tired of saving money and getting value guys on the rise. If we don’t invest they don’t stay anyway so what’s the point?

If we wanted to be the value school we should’ve stayed in Keaney like 1/2 the conference. We built the Ryan Center instead. For once, let’s hire like we intend to fill it.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago A lot of people here have been put under a spell by Blueman that Archie is a realistic candidate. He is the 5% best case scenario, not what you should expect.

At a mid major like URI you should expect an up and comer from a lower tier conference or a reclamation project of a fired P5 coach. But know the guys in the latter category still have a lot of options
Yup, the monologue he posted when he started that thread actually made people think he’s coming here.
Not for nothing - there’s a lot more substance in that monologue as a reason for us hiring Archie than the chorus of “we don’t get those guys” as a reason that we won’t.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Maybe people are tired of “expected” and want to be as relevant as we were with Dan Hurley, immediately.

There’s no “up and coming” Dan Hurley out there. There was one guy, with that name, pedigree, and national basketball connections throughout media and coaching circles to get us to that level. Dan was it.

You ever want that buzz again? Wait 4 years after hiring the right “up and coming” coach, or hire a big name and be front page news tomorrow.

We’re tired of saving money and getting value guys on the rise. If we don’t invest they don’t stay anyway so what’s the point?

If we wanted to be the value school we should’ve stayed in Keaney like 1/2 the conference. We built the Ryan Center instead. For once, let’s hire like we intend to fill it.
Don’t get me wrong. I agree. If I could do something with the snap of my fingers it would be to bring in a guy like that who could make a day 1 impact. Now I know you know this, but maybe for some others who think it’s that easy, there are two things that takes to land Archie or someone in that tier:

1) Money — Generally speaking, URI doesn’t have a ton of that. We have a select few big donors who would need to make a real investment in the program to bump us to a different level of ongoing commitment. Now in fairness I don’t know any of those folks personally. Maybe they’ve committed to doing that with Thorr, maybe they haven’t. But the opportunity to do what you’ve stated is completely dependent on a few folks cutting big, unheard of (for URI) checks.

2) Mutual Interest — I (along with many here) think URI is a great place, a program that can get national attention, with some of the most loyal fans when you’re winning. But guys like Archie aren’t dialing the phone hoping Thorr picks up, it’s quite the opposite. Money, as stated above, definitely gets someone to at minimum take that phone call. After that there’s a lot to factor in on how realistic it can be for someone to come to Rhode Island
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I remember there was “keep Danny” fund that happened right before he left. How’s that work outside the typical large donor? Can there be a fund advertised to fans specifically in order to get a higher end coach?
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago

Don’t get me wrong. I agree. If I could do something with the snap of my fingers it would be to bring in a guy like that who could make a day 1 impact. Now I know you know this, but maybe for some others who think it’s that easy, there are two things that takes to land Archie or someone in that tier:

1) Money — Generally speaking, URI doesn’t have a ton of that. We have a select few big donors who would need to make a real investment in the program to bump us to a different level of ongoing commitment. Now in fairness I don’t know any of those folks personally. Maybe they’ve committed to doing that with Thorr, maybe they haven’t. But the opportunity to do what you’ve stated is completely dependent on a few folks cutting big, unheard of (for URI) checks.

2) Mutual Interest — I (along with many here) think URI is a great place, a program that can get national attention, with some of the most loyal fans when you’re winning. But guys like Archie aren’t dialing the phone hoping Thorr picks up, it’s quite the opposite. Money, as stated above, definitely gets someone to at minimum take that phone call. After that there’s a lot to factor in on how realistic it can be for someone to come to Rhode Island
I 100% agree. I happen to believe that the money is there for the right guy. I also happen to believe Archie would want a chance to win in the a10 and reclaim his legacy to get another big job.

And again. Borzello out of nowhere tweeted those whispers of Archie, which I would assume he got from Archie himself considering their relationship and the podcast.

Long shot based on URI tradition? Of course.

But it’s a lot closer to possible than anyone is giving credit for.

Give to Rhody's NIL
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago I remember there was “keep Danny” fund that happened right before he left. How’s that work outside the typical large donor? Can there be a fund advertised to fans specifically in order to get a higher end coach?
A “keep XYZ” coach fund is the epitome of URIs problem of not being a perennially top mid major.

Our donors have historically been reactive. They only want to pony up when success has been proven/earned. To be a perennially good program you need to be proactive.

Success is like a fly wheel. If you put money (wind) in while it’s spinning at a good pace it’s easy to keep spinning. When you let the fly wheel slow down before blowing new money in, or even worse, let it come to a total stop - it’s painful to start over
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We will find out soon whether or not URI and it's boosters will finally be proactive.

It has to happen, or the cycle of sucking and brief successes will continue.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm not expecting an immediate announcement. Not with the NCAA tourney coming up and a lot of movement.

And it will also be interesting to see if names will be mentioned, because if there is someone "Big" that URI and that person have mutual interest in, you don't want to go announcing it to the world during this time of the year else a bunch of other schools will try to swoop in and take him from you.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

URI will not announce a new hire until a deal is done.

They also will not reveal who is or isn't interviewing, or their interest in a particular coach during the process.

Leaks sometimes happen, but they aren't always accurate either.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

After watching for 3 decades myself, I think that has always been URI's official policy. It's like you said at the end. Boosters hear things and get excited and leak the info to try to get a reaction. That tends to have mixed results.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think the very worst example of that was the Jim Baron hire. A bunch of names were being tossed about as having a decent amount of interest and then boom, URI out of no where announces they picked Baron and it was him and no one else all along.

In that case, maybe someone should have leaked Baron's name two weeks earlier, because the negative reaction it would have produced maybe could have swayed them from pulling the trigger.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

jcru wrote: 2 years ago I'm not expecting an immediate announcement. Not with the NCAA tourney coming up and a lot of movement.

And it will also be interesting to see if names will be mentioned, because if there is someone "Big" that URI and that person have mutual interest in, you don't want to go announcing it to the world during this time of the year else a bunch of other schools will try to swoop in and take him from you.
There cannot be an immediate announcement as it is against state hiring law. The position must be publicly posted and remain open for fourteen days for candidates to apply. The position was immediately posted yesterday 03/11/22 and the application process closes 03/25/22.

URI Men's Basketball Head Coach Position Link:
https://jobs.uri.edu/postings/9617

Here are the first two required qualifications:

1. Bachelor’s degree.

2. Demonstrated experience as a Division I head coach or five years minimum experience as an assistant basketball coach at the college level (preferably Division I) or professional level.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I realize that. However, the sub process, so to speak, has always been that boosters know in advance what are going on behind the scenes and use leaks to politic one person vs another as the better choice to the school that ultimately makes the decision.

This is what I meant by mixed results. I think if the pick is going to be an unpopular one, like Baron was, it would be wise to leak that early instead of just announcing it after the fact, to get a general consensus from the base.

However, if they are hiding Manning to announce a month from now, someone they already know people will like, then keep that under wraps for as long as possible.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I just hope the boosters aren’t all in on little Ricky and let Thorr do his job I have confidence he will get it right this time
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The fact that the job was posted immediately after Cox was fired, tells me that Thorr is on to something and a new coach will be announced sooner rather than later....as in just after March 25th.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

To be a fly on Thorrs wall.
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think everyone here can admit, isn't this [talking about a new coach] a lot more fun than what we went thru the last 4 years?
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Unless you are in the club, how can you tell if the money is there or not? Maybe one of you are a big booster for the program and have that insight, but some of you, I know you are not and you talk like it's your money to spend. Let's settle down a little. Archie would be great. No doubt about it, but if we don't get him or someone like him, I'm not going to go and blame boosters for not putting the money up, because frankly, I don't know their financial situation.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Hell, if URI put up a GoFundMe page for the next coach, I don't think many of you would even contribute to it.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I think everyone here can admit, isn't this [talking about a new coach] a lot more fun than what we went thru the last 4 years?
No doubt about it 78 !!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The fact that the job was posted immediately after Cox was fired, tells me that Thorr is on to something and a new coach will be announced sooner rather than later....as in just after March 25th.
I would agree. My guess is that the firing decision was made some time ago and Thorr had already in advance put everything in motion to immediately start once it was acted upon. Would then seem to make sense that Bjorn was likely also already considering and evaluating candidates and possibly making discreet inquiries to gauge interest. If that is the case, the whole process could actually be much further along than what it may appear in public.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago The fact that the job was posted immediately after Cox was fired, tells me that Thorr is on to something and a new coach will be announced sooner rather than later....as in just after March 25th.
I would agree. My guess is that the firing decision was made some time ago and Thorr had already in advance put everything in motion to immediately start once it was acted upon. Would then seem to make sense that Bjorn was likely also already considering and evaluating candidates and possibly making discreet inquiries to gauge interest. If that is the case, the whole process could actually be much further along than what it may appear in public.
Yea, the decision to fire Cox was made weeks before the A10 tournament.

I’m sure feelers have been out for a while now.
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago I think everyone here can admit, isn't this [talking about a new coach] a lot more fun than what we went thru the last 4 years?
True …. I wish I had Blue Man’s optimism though. Anyone have Tom Ryan’s ear?
Slava Ukraini!
NarraRamFan
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by NarraRamFan »

Probably a paid consulting firm has been working on this for weeks.... subtly making inquiries regarding who might be available and / or interested... allowing Athletics to say they had no knowledge of these inquiries... its how the sausage is made.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

NarraRamFan wrote: 2 years ago Probably a paid consulting firm has been working on this for weeks.... subtly making inquiries regarding who might be available and / or interested... allowing Athletics to say they had no knowledge of these inquiries... its how the sausage is made.
At this level, I kind of doubt it. I suspect it's more that Thorr is making the pick, but Parlange has to sign off on it, and maybe a booster or two if they're directly kicking in money for it.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I believe we are getting a top name coach.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I believe we are getting a top name coach.
Please be right blueram hoping for a splash to get excited again !!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Is that a hunch or have you talked to someone in a position to know?
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago
Tom Ryan wanted Rick Pitino. It was supposedly shut down and we hired Cox. Cox was fired after 4 years. Some say 1 year some say 2 years left. I have faith that Tom Ryan will have the coach he wants this time. And we will all be happy.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Tom Ryan wanted Rick Pitino. It was supposedly shut down and we hired Cox. Cox was fired after 4 years. Some say 1 year some say 2 years left. I have faith that Tom Ryan will have the coach he wants this time. And we will all be happy.
This is a long winded version of you praying we get a coach you want
theblueram
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago

This is a long winded version of you praying we get a coach you want
Well yeah. But I think we get the coach we want. I mean the last two coaches were the ones the majority wanted on this board.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

well, maybe the people here learned the lesson this time. You don't pick a coach based on what the remaining players want.

All it does is delay the rebuilding process 4 extra years.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

STC wrote: 2 years ago Pitino publicly turned down Maryland but you knuckleheads think he’s coming to URI?

Yes. Still hoping like a madman. Shoot for the best and if we have to settle for a Miller or Mack, so be it.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
jcru wrote: 2 years ago I'm not expecting an immediate announcement. Not with the NCAA tourney coming up and a lot of movement.

There cannot be an immediate announcement as it is against state hiring law. The position must be publicly posted and remain open for fourteen days for candidates to apply. The position was immediately posted yesterday 03/11/22 and the application process closes 03/25/22.

URI Men's Basketball Head Coach Position Link:
https://jobs.uri.edu/postings/9617

Here are the first two required qualifications:

1. Bachelor’s degree.

2. Demonstrated experience as a Division I head coach or five years minimum experience as an assistant basketball coach at the college level (preferably Division I) or professional level.
Funny how it doesn't say anything about winning games and getting in the tournament
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

NarraRamFan wrote: 2 years ago Probably a paid consulting firm has been working on this for weeks.... subtly making inquiries regarding who might be available and / or interested... allowing Athletics to say they had no knowledge of these inquiries... its how the sausage is made.
T here is no paid consulting firm.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
STC wrote: 2 years ago Pitino publicly turned down Maryland but you knuckleheads think he’s coming to URI?

Yes. Still hoping like a madman. Shoot for the best and if we have to settle for a Miller or Mack, so be it.
I am on board.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rick Pitino will be 70 next September. He is a year younger than Cliff Ellis, Coastal Carolina. Jim Boeheim has retired,
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’d be on board for Slick Rick but he just turned down Maryland so I would highly doubt he comes here
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

“Settle for Miller or Mack”

This fanbase is fully delusional.

What’s going to end up happening is that we are going to make a good solid hire and people are going to meltdown about it. Can’t wait.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Like Holloway ?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I was convinced that Pintino was off the market and he probably still is, but national and local writers have mentioned him this week so it’s confusing.
GO RAMS
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Not interested In Rick Pitino. The coaches who've dragged their previous institutions through the mud by doing things the wrong way I have no desire to ever see at URI. I'd prefer another Hurley type coach with some integrity, intelligence, & hunger.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Rick Pitino will be 70 next September. He is a year younger than Cliff Ellis, Coastal Carolina. Jim Boeheim has retired,
Bobby Knight is available.
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago

What’s going to end up happening is that we are going to make a good solid hire and people are going to meltdown about it. Can’t wait.
Thank god you are not hiring the next coach.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Thank god you are not hiring the next coach.
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago I love and appreciate the passion of everybody here, but I’m very thankful that these decisions are not being made by a randomly selected poster or a committee of posters.
Get your own material please
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We have a coaching search baby !! This is when KB is at its absolute best !!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Tammi Reiss is still on my short list. Basketball is basketball. Women players have better shooting technique than men. URI is a gang that can't shoot straight.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If I called people delusional I’d get vilified!

(But yes I completely agree a lot of people here have no idea what they’re talking about and our out touch with reality / our program.)
Go Rhody
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Tammi Reiss is still on my short list. Basketball is basketball. Women players have better shooting technique than men. URI is a gang that can't shoot straight.
Honestly I think it is time that Geno Aureamma tries out mens basketball - let’s get him…
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

...just like last time?