11/21 | Kansas State | 7:30PM (FloSports)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/21 | Kansas State | 7:30PM (FloSports)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago why did we ban DC Rams??

his takes/trolling were great for laughs and I most definitely enjoyed you guys ripping them apart.

#freedcrams
Because there were no real takes, just trolling. They clearly weren't a URI fan, they were a member of David Cox' circle, so there was no longer a need for their presence
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago why did we ban DC Rams??

his takes/trolling were great for laughs and I most definitely enjoyed you guys ripping them apart.

#freedcrams
Because there were no real takes, just trolling. They clearly weren't a URI fan, they were a member of David Cox' circle, so there was no longer a need for their presence
And he had at least one burner account. His takes werent that of a basketball savant, or offering a different perspective - it was “Dave cox is good, URI sucks” - for a uri message board it seemed like we didn’t need someone who just wanted to talk shit because we didn’t think his buddy was a good coach.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

trolls from the inner circles of direct contacts, as lame and/or outlandish as they may be, are always entertaining.

just don't feed the troll. just laugh at them.
:lol:
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago trolls from the inner circles of direct contacts, as lame and/or outlandish as they may be, are always entertaining.

just don't feed the troll. just laugh at them.
Fair - but this board is one of the best on the internet because the mods step in in these situations.

There’s a few on here who have those takes - but for the most part they’re at least uri fans or respectful fans of other programs who legitimately have basketball insight. Even the PC guys on here have incredibly reasonable third party takes. Not “you guys stink we’re good lol” like our banished friend.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It was a good game from the stance of, that was a very fast, experienced team with talented big men. They had waves of big men, and guys who could shoot three pointers and FTs consistently, off the bench. That's the sort of in game experience you cannot prepare for in practice. I think the team responded well in the second half, made all sorts of corrections, and forced K-State to play out of their comfort zone, whereas they were doing just about anything they wanted in the first half.

I really liked the "B" team as well, consisting of Carey, Bray, Weston, Bilau, and Samb. They came in and they were like instant defensive intensity.

Definitely a work in progress, but there was progress to be found.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

No need to play Carey a lot. Or Malik This team isn’t going to win much. Give me more Lou and Weston.
Agree 100%. This team is not a good one on any fronts and is going nowhere. They need to find out who will be part of the future. Play Lou, Freeman, Weston and some of the younger guys. Martin and Carey do nothing for us at this point. I’m not sold on Bilau at this level, but what can it hurt to play him and see what he can offer
Disagree 100% - throwing a bunch of guys out there with no college experience is a recipe for disaster this year and beyond. Carey and Martin offer a good layer of protection for the rest of the team.

Also disagree that the team is going nowhere. There is no reason they can’t work themselves to be in the top half of the A10 this year. That may seem like nowhere, but it is a much better stepping stone for next year than the basement. Really hard to go worst to first. Typically there is a middle year in between. Let’s get that out the way this year, try and make a run in the conference, go from there.
Who cares if they finish in 8th or 11th place in the A-10? They end up in the same place-at home for March. Martin and Carey do nothing to help this team prepare for the future. They aren’t even starters on a good college basketball team. Do you really think this team is going to make a run in the conference tournament? They can’t shoot at all. It doesn’t matter if they win two extra games at this point and the development is much more important in seeing who will be a factor for next year. I think we have to stop making excuses such as if we hadn’t fallen behind 14-2, all our guys aren’t healthy, the refs, etc. Archie will turn them around at some point and hopefully there is improvement throughout the year, but this team was winning 10 games would be a surprise to me.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think 11/22 is too early to write off the team for the entire season. March is 4 months away. Let's see them build on this game.

I'm not faulting anyone for getting emotional, but let's see what the progression is throughout the season. Don't throw your tickets away just yet, I think this team and this coach may be able to make it something encouraging and something that can be built upon.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I think it's important for Carey and Martin to get the minutes in games they earn in practices. We all acknowledge that building a new culture is as important as developing the players. What message does it send to guys on the roster if the best players in practice aren't getting the minutes they earn in practice for other reasons? Plus, when you look at Carey specifically, he's only 5th in minutes per game at 21.3, and even Martin is only at 27.5.

There's still plenty of minutes for younger guys with the minutes Carey and Martin are getting, and there's an easy path for players to earn more minutes than they're getting now. Make the most of their practice time and game minutes they're getting. Want to play more than Carey and Martin? Be better than them
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The older/holdover guys all have a role in the rebuild. You don't toss them aside and throw your youngsters to the wolves. That does nothing for building confidence of those guys to be put in spots they aren't ready for and get embarrassed. Archie will strike the right balance in putting the right guys out there at the right time with developing for the future a priority. I don't think we need any more proof that Archie is playing the long game.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago I think it's important for Carey and Martin to get the minutes in games they earn in practices. We all acknowledge that building a new culture is as important as developing the players. What message does it send to guys on the roster if the best players in practice aren't getting the minutes they earn in practice for other reasons? Plus, when you look at Carey specifically, he's only 5th in minutes per game at 21.3, and even Martin is only at 27.5.

There's still plenty of minutes for younger guys with the minutes Carey and Martin are getting, and there's an easy path for players to earn more minutes than they're getting now. Make the most of their practice time and game minutes they're getting. Want to play more than Carey and Martin? Be better than them
I would agree with this, and I would also add - I still haven't seen an article published anywhere that shows a correlation between minutes played early on and success later in a career. People sometimes bring up Tyson Wheeler's first year at URI, for example, but that team had one senior on it, and Wheeler was clearly the best PG option - it's not like there was anyone to bench in front of him. *Wheeler* clearly played well, even if the team sucked. At various points, Baron and Hurley just had to play someone major minutes, and those players typically were recruited over; they didn't magically get better because they sucked for a season.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Hey, you know what? THIS is probably the easiest time, you are ever going to find on an Archie Miller coached URI team to find playing time. All you need to do to separate yourself from the rest of the pack, is put the ball in the hoop. Assuming you do all of the other things that it takes to be a player that receives playing time on this team, all other things being equal, if you can get the ball in the basket, either from the outside, midrange, driving in, put backs, at the FT line, you name it: instant playing time.

If someone isn't getting playing time, they need to look in the mirror. That's their obstacle.

The only thing that would deviate from that, would be if someone were just playing completely out of control the way Bray was and needed to be pulled back to rein him in and get him back on the same page.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Say what you want about Fatts Russell, he didn't care if the next game was against Brown, Holy Cross, or CCSU, or if were playing Kansas, Duke, or Arizona, he was going to make sure he got at least 20, possibly more, possibly a lot more.

How can you bench someone like that? You can't.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Say what you want about Fatts Russell, he didn't care if the next game was against Brown, Holy Cross, or CCSU, or if were playing Kansas, Duke, or Arizona, he was going to make sure he got at least 20, possibly more, possibly a lot more.

You can when that hero ball costs you games.

Yeah Fatts would get his 20 - on 30 shots. Wasted possessions forcing things.

Get a team to play the right way and you’ll be better off than if you just let people do whatever they want to score some OOC wins.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Say what you want about Fatts Russell, he didn't care if the next game was against Brown, Holy Cross, or CCSU, or if were playing Kansas, Duke, or Arizona, he was going to make sure he got at least 20, possibly more, possibly a lot more.

I don't see what this has to do with literally anything.
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

My point was, take a look at Tyson Wheeler. Wheeler was not the highest rated recruit at his position here. Sean Colson was. But when Wheeler dropped 25 points on the last opponent... Sorry, Sean, Tyson's getting the start again next game.

This era of Archie Miller basketball reminds a little of that era of Al Skinner basketball. You want playing time? Make the most of your playing time.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

We are in trouble if our key young pieces aren't good enough to get more minutes on this roster as the season progresses. For example, Will Daniels, EC, Hass, Jeff, and Jarvis all received more minutes as they got used to playing at this level during their freshman year. Yes, they also earned it. Lou has played one game over 20 minutes and looked great. Weston has looked much better in back-to-back games. I want them to play more because I think they are two of our better players.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Let’s see who’s starting tonight and go from there. I can easily see a change in rotation.
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Let’s see who’s starting tonight and go from there. I can easily see a change in rotation.
We already did.

Bilau in, Rory out.
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Let’s see who’s starting tonight and go from there. I can easily see a change in rotation.
We already did.

Bilau in, Rory out.
I’d like to give Rory a look vs a smaller team since he’s a perimeter big vs Bilau who’s a traditional big. Samb might be the one getting reduced time.
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
We already did.

Bilau in, Rory out.
Rory was barely playing, so it's more likely that Bilau is cutting into Samb and Tchikou's minutes, and maybe the three of them combine to cut into Malik Martin logging major minutes at the 4. Bilau put up a whopping -17.6 PER in his first game back, thanks to 16 minutes with 0 points, 3 fouls and 3 turnovers, with just 2 boards and an assist on the positive side of the ledger. But, I'm guessing he wouldn't have played that much if the game was closer.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago I’d be surprised if Arch starts Weston @ least in the next 2 games , he may play a lot of minutes but I doubt he starts

We are 19-72 from 3 this year 26 % !!
Why don’t you think he starts Weston?
Because he’s a freshman and I don’t think he will change the starting lineup based on last nights game
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Some clips of Weston. He missed some bunnies last night, but I loved how he battled against a very athletic team.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

Some clips of Weston. He missed some bunnies last night, but I loved how he battled against a very athletic team.
Thanks for posting Stevey.

I am very excited about Weston's potential and his energy and talent.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I don't think we need any more proof that Archie is playing the long game.
Well, he is certainly not playing the short game or the mediocre game. We are all giving him the benefit of the doubt and praying that we are right.
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Lou Hutch started today so Arch is willing to change the starters !!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

See that?

Earlier today wasn't the time to panic and burn your season tickets after all. The season is a marathon, not a sprint.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Kansas State won the Cayman Classic in dramatic fashion over LSU

https://www.yahoo.com/news/five-takeawa ... 11450.html