11/12 | Texas State | 4:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/12 | Texas State | 4:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

Stevey,

Forget + / - which Rory shows the best on the team after 2 games. In the 1st game I watched Rory in particular in warmups. Let me tell you he was burying 3 point shots non stop. I think he missed 1, maybe 2. He has a nice release, smooth stroke and he can bury the 3. In the game he missed - he is a freshman. I think Rory will earn more time, could become a starter. As many have stated, they don't think we have good 3 point shooters, well then that might open the door for Rory. Maybe Tchikou and Rory together, maybe Tchikou, Samb and Rory together.
In addition, Thomas was mentioned by Miller as one of his top 3 3FG Shooters. Miller obviously has confidence in Thomas right now having given him 2 consecutive starts - how many arm chair coaches on KB predicted that? or predicted Samb starting? Certainly not me on Samb.

How many predicted Leggett in the starting line up? A few, not many. And Leggett is showing up big time.
Have not seen anyone mention Leggett's unreal FT shooting last game - 14-15 FTs. When was the last time a URI Player shot FTs that efficiently?
Leggett is stepping up for the team, himself and for this Coaching Staff - leading by example.

I like that the HC is flexible with the Starting Line Up and with Playing time. This is great. The wins will come. I thought Foumena and Harris would have been starters - so in my mind we lost 40% of our starting line up. Lot of season left to go.
Archie was asked to list his top three 3 pt shooters. Besides Bassy, he also mentioned Carey. When asked to list three, what is he going to say? There aren't three of them on the roster. That's why both Bassy and Carey made Archie's top three.
What is your point? That Miller doesn't really believe the 3 players he named are good 3FG shooters? That it's bullshit he spewed?
It's pretty obvious that Bassy and Carey aren't good 3 point shooters. I'm not saying they can't contribute doing things they do well. 3 point shooting isn't one of them.How do you want him to answer the question?
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Plus-minus can be valuable over time, especially in pro basketball. The problem with using it in college basketball is that by the time you accrue a viable sample size, the season is pretty much over. Using it after two games is especially silly, and you can kind of see why, given the results. Our two highest players in it are non-scorers (Thomas + Stewart) who basically benefited from just being on the court during "bounce back" times in the second half.
I agree with you that looking at +/- after two games is meaningless but I’m not so sure I agree with the bolded. In fact, I think this is part of the value of tracking this over time. If over time a guy like Rory is producing a consistently strong +/- even when he is not taking/making a lot of shots then that is an indication that something he is doing - in his case it would probably be creating spacing on the floor to make offense easier for the other players - that may not be otherwise showing up in a box score. It could also reflect an impact at the other end, if a player was playing excellent defense (limiting good shot opportunities, denying the ball, being in the right place to help and cut off penetration, etc) even if it is not resulting in countable stats like steals, deflections and blocks.

Obviously another limitation of +/- is that it is an incredibly crude stat compared to what else I’m sure the team is tracking in terms of offensive and defensive rating, usage, efficiency, etc., but since we don’t have access to all of that stuff to get a granular look I think tracking +/- over the course of a season would be a helpful component in terms of understanding what you just watched.
True! If Stewart is still piling up positive scores despite not really scoring, that could suggest he's at least enough of a viable threat that he has a positive effect on the offense. Kind of like Thomas last year though, he has to start hitting some shots, otherwise defenses are going to adapt by the time A-10 play rolls around.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Are we back to looking at warm ups thinking that means game results?

Giving me big time “Mike Layssard dunks really hard in layup lines and needs to play more” vibes.
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I agree, Ramster. I wouldn't mind seeing Rory get more minutes. What I like about Rory is he does all the little things well. He boxes out. He keeps the ball high. He makes the simple pass. He doesn't force things. If he has an open shot, he takes it. I think Rory will be a solid bench piece once the game slows down for him.

As I've said, our frontcourt has been much better than I expected. Samb and Tchikou could be one of the better frontcourts in the conference in two years. Foumena may be better than all of them.

The guard position scares me. If we want any shot against' Kansas St., we must see Bray get out of this slump and gain some confidence tomorrow.
Stevey,

Forget + / - which Rory shows the best on the team after 2 games. In the 1st game I watched Rory in particular in warmups. Let me tell you he was burying 3 point shots non stop. I think he missed 1, maybe 2. He has a nice release, smooth stroke and he can bury the 3. In the game he missed - he is a freshman. I think Rory will earn more time, could become a starter. As many have stated, they don't think we have good 3 point shooters, well then that might open the door for Rory. Maybe Tchikou and Rory together, maybe Tchikou, Samb and Rory together.
In addition, Thomas was mentioned by Miller as one of his top 3 3FG Shooters. Miller obviously has confidence in Thomas right now having given him 2 consecutive starts - how many arm chair coaches on KB predicted that? or predicted Samb starting? Certainly not me on Samb.

How many predicted Leggett in the starting line up? A few, not many. And Leggett is showing up big time.
Have not seen anyone mention Leggett's unreal FT shooting last game - 14-15 FTs. When was the last time a URI Player shot FTs that efficiently?
Leggett is stepping up for the team, himself and for this Coaching Staff - leading by example.

I like that the HC is flexible with the Starting Line Up and with Playing time. This is great. The wins will come. I thought Foumena and Harris would have been starters - so in my mind we lost 40% of our starting line up. Lot of season left to go.
Rory looked good hitting open shots in warm ups. Please help us god

Ramster gunning for Rhody72s crown
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Also love him saying in his mind we lost 40% of our starting lineup literally just because he guessed the 5 players who would start , sounding like he’s a part of the coaching staff and makes decisions.

Him and 72 gotta be related.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Archie was asked to list his top three 3 pt shooters. Besides Bassy, he also mentioned Carey. When asked to list three, what is he going to say? There aren't three of them on the roster. That's why both Bassy and Carey made Archie's top three.
What is your point? That Miller doesn't really believe the 3 players he named are good 3FG shooters? That it's bullshit he spewed?
It's pretty obvious that Bassy and Carey aren't good 3 point shooters. I'm not saying they can't contribute doing things they do well. 3 point shooting isn't one of them.How do you want him to answer the question?
Honestly
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Also love him saying in his mind we lost 40% of our starting lineup literally just because he guessed the 5 players who would start , sounding like he’s a part of the coaching staff and makes decisions.

Aren’t you the same guy who called Leggett a Division 2 player at the end of last season?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Also love him saying in his mind we lost 40% of our starting lineup literally just because he guessed the 5 players who would start , sounding like he’s a part of the coaching staff and makes decisions.

Aren’t you the same guy who called Leggett a Division 2 player at the end of last season?
Don’t remember saying that, but also am not denying I did say it.

Last year yes, he played like a D2 player.

Looks to have put in solid work in a offseason and is off to a decent start.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Are we back to looking at warm ups thinking that means game results?

Giving me big time “Mike Layssard dunks really hard in layup lines and needs to play more” vibes.
If you like Mike Layssard in layup lines, just wait until you see Ryan Brooks...
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Honestly
So, you want him to say...
"We don't have any good 3 point shooters."
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Honestly
Well that would also be untrue. We have 1 good 3pt shooter, who’s in the dog house
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

Honestly
Well that would also be untrue. We have 1 good 3pt shooter, who’s in the dog house
Bray is not a good 3 point shooter. I don't know what you're watching. I hope you're not going by his decent percentage last year. I believe he took an average of one per game.Watch warmups. Even the rare ones he makes aren't pretty. Not a soft touch at all. Rory is the only one on the team who looks like a good outside shooter, by watching his form, arch and follow through. In games he's rushing them. He needs to take them when it's open and can relax more when he takes them. Even good shooters look bad when they rush or force shots. That's what he's doing so far.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bray is not a good 3 point shooter. I don't know what you're watching. I hope you're not going by his decent percentage last year. I believe he took an average of one per game.Watch warmups. Even the rare ones he makes aren't pretty. Not a soft touch at all. Rory is the only one on the team who looks like a good outside shooter, by watching his form, arch and follow through. In games he's rushing them. He needs to take them when it's open and can relax more when he takes them. Even good shooters look bad when they rush or force shots. That's what he's doing so far.

Have we not learned that we should take absolutely nothing from pregame warmups?

Are people still seriously watching layup lines and determining who should play/shoot/dribble?
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Have we not learned that we should take absolutely nothing from pregame warmups?

Are people still seriously watching layup lines and determining who should play/shoot/dribble?
I'm saying that only one player looks like a good shooter in warmups. He hasn't done it in a game yet. Maybe he won't for a while. But he's the only who even looks like he could potentially be a good 3 point shooter. Not one other player on the team even looks like they have that potential. Maybe you can't tell if someone will ever be a good shooter in games, but I think you can tell which players won't be good shooters.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

I pray you’re trolling with this warm up nonsense. Wide open shots in warm ups don’t matter. Making them in games does.

Bray shot 44% from 3 last year on 55 attempts.

Only other play on this roster who even took more than that last year was Leggett with 76, and he averaged 32%

Martin also took exactly 55 3s for reference and shot 26%.

These are the guys on your roster with any legit amount of reps. Not sure how you’re going to argue he isn’t your best or one of your best shooters
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I hope Rory projects as a Noah Horchler. Right now he's Noah Nearhim.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I pray you’re trolling with this warm up nonsense. Wide open shots in warm ups don’t matter. Making them in games does.

Only other play on this roster who even took more than that last year was Leggett with 76, and he averaged 32%

These are the guys on your roster with any legit amount of reps. Not sure how you’re going to argue he isn’t your best or one of your best shooters
55 attempts is less than 2 per game. That's all I need to know. GOOD 3 point shooters are taking a lot more than that.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I say he isn't because I've watched him shoot. Pre-game or not, you can tell if a guy is NOT a good outside shooter. An if you've read my posts about Rory, I said that he HASN'T done it in a game. Not a troll. Reading comprehension problem on your end.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

55 attempts is less than 2 per game. That's all I need to know. GOOD 3 point shooters are taking a lot more than that.
By your logic we have zero good 3 point shooters than. Maybe that’s true. We clearly aren’t taking 3s

But “your best” is a relative term. Bray is the best relative to the even worse players on this squad until proven otherwise
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

By your logic we have zero good 3 point shooters than. Maybe that’s true. We clearly aren’t taking 3s

But “your best” is a relative term. Bray is the best relative to the even worse players on this squad until proven otherwise
I guess that's what I'm saying then. To me, a 'good' 3 point shooter is hitting close to 40% and taking at least more than 5 per game. A really good shooter is taking more.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You guys can think what you want about my opinion of Rory Stewart. I'm just some Joe Schmoe. Maybe you can discuss what Chris Disano says about him......"Stewart, billed as a shooter coming in, still is – a shooter. He’s played two games and hasn’t calibrated to the game speed yet. Every level a player moves up, time and space are crunched. You have less time and less space to make decisions. Or, in the less frequent occasions where you do have both, you perceive less time and less space anyway and rush your movements. This is current-state Stewart. Sooner or later, whether it’s four, eight or 10 games in, it’s going to click. Once he knocks the first shot down, everything will begin to incrementally slow for him. And he’ll be on his way. In the meantime, his work-rate on defense has been terrific."
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago You guys can think what you want about my opinion of Rory Stewart. I'm just some Joe Schmoe. Maybe you can discuss what Chris Disano says about him......"Stewart, billed as a shooter coming in, still is – a shooter. He’s played two games and hasn’t calibrated to the game speed yet. Every level a player moves up, time and space are crunched. You have less time and less space to make decisions. Or, in the less frequent occasions where you do have both, you perceive less time and less space anyway and rush your movements. This is current-state Stewart. Sooner or later, whether it’s four, eight or 10 games in, it’s going to click. Once he knocks the first shot down, everything will begin to incrementally slow for him. And he’ll be on his way. In the meantime, his work-rate on defense has been terrific."
Once it starts clicking for Rory, he will be a major contributor for us. I am actually more optimistic about our frontcourt going forward than I initially was. Remember we will have rim protector Bilau available in December. Alex and Samb will continue to improve, plus adding Foumena in 23-24. He will have a year to mature and practice with his teammates.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago You guys can think what you want about my opinion of Rory Stewart. I'm just some Joe Schmoe. Maybe you can discuss what Chris Disano says about him......"Stewart, billed as a shooter coming in, still is – a shooter. He’s played two games and hasn’t calibrated to the game speed yet. Every level a player moves up, time and space are crunched. You have less time and less space to make decisions. Or, in the less frequent occasions where you do have both, you perceive less time and less space anyway and rush your movements. This is current-state Stewart. Sooner or later, whether it’s four, eight or 10 games in, it’s going to click. Once he knocks the first shot down, everything will begin to incrementally slow for him. And he’ll be on his way. In the meantime, his work-rate on defense has been terrific."
Maybe Disano watched him in warmups. And made note of his + / - numbers??????
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Obviously, we need to see it in real games but to say you can't tell if someone has a good shot in warmups is a little ridiculous. You can tell if someone has good mechanics. Watch our team warmup tonight. We miss A LOT of shots. Rory has a beautiful form. Disano is awesome, but I would go off of what Chris Mckee said. He watched Rory and Foumena play every game at Orangeville prep. He said Rory was the best shooter on that team, and he has a better post-game than people give him credit for.

Billyboy, I agree that Rory is rushing his shot in-game. I said it after our loss to Quinnipiac. It will take time for the game to slow down for him. He also seems to be thrown in when our bigs get into foul trouble and hasn't had a chance to gain any rhythm. I think he will hit a couple of 3s tonight.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Best I’ve seen in my day was Jimmy Christian in warmups guy was money too bad for him he had Tommy G and Silk in front of him so he couldn’t get any time

Surprised Arch didn’t put Rory in his top 3 shooters on the team as that’s what he’s known for
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Obviously, we need to see it in real games but to say you can't tell if someone has a good shot in warmups is a little ridiculous. You can tell if someone has good mechanics. Watch our team warmup tonight. We miss A LOT of shots. Rory has a beautiful form. Disano is awesome, but I would go off of what Chris Mckee said. He watched Rory and Foumena play every game at Orangeville prep. He said Rory was the best shooter on that team, and he has a better post-game than people give him credit for.

Billyboy, I agree that Rory is rushing his shot in-game. I said it after our loss to Quinnipiac. It will take time for the game to slow down for him. He also seems to be thrown in when our bigs get into foul trouble and hasn't had a chance to gain any rhythm. I think he will hit a couple of 3s tonight.
And watch Bray in warmups. Despite what his small sample size of numbers from last year say, he is not a good outside shooter. His strength should be using his quickness to break down his defender and dish to the open man or pull up in the lane for a short jumper. I'd like to see him develop a floater. He's too small and slight to be forcing his way into the trees. I still think he can be a very good player for us. He just needs to play to his strengths.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Of course you can tell if someone is a good shooter from warm ups. You can't tell if it will translate to a game environment but you easily can observe mechanics, how the ball comes off the hand and rotates, and then the end result. If a guy is throwing knuckle balls at the rim and hits 1-7 in warmups (with no defense or game pressure) then chances are very high that he isn't a good shooter.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Best I’ve seen in my day was Jimmy Christian in warmups guy was money too bad for him he had Tommy G and Silk in front of him so he couldn’t get any time

Surprised Arch didn’t put Rory in his top 3 shooters on the team as that’s what he’s known for
I think he said he didn't choose any freshmen because they haven't done it yet....or something like that.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

When asked Archie only referred to returning players in his rankings for Steve Mac in the Coaches Show. He did give kudos to Rory on a side note.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I think he said he didn't choose any freshmen because they haven't done it yet....or something like that.
Correct. Question before the season was who did he trust in a game to make a 3 and he said he couldn't name a freshman because they haven't done it in a college game
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Texas State lost to a D3 team last night...