2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Re: 2023-24 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I think this schedule presents the proper opportunities for a team in our position. We have to win and by winning at home and stealing some of potential Quad 1 and 2 games on the road, it will provide the basis to improve our schedules in the coming years.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 10 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 10 months ago
theblueram wrote: 10 months ago

Yup. Steady growth sounds like a downer. I'm not looking for steady growth. I'm looking for NCAAT appearances.
If you don’t want steady growth then go cheer for a blue blood where you’ll get second weekend appearances every other season.

Steady growth happens at the majority of mid
Major schools. Archie isn’t a miracle worker and we’re currently not at the top of the list for transfers.

But then again, your expectations are very unrealistic for this program so it is what it is.
Wrong
Rhody15...unfortunately, there are some on this board chomping at the bit to be first in line for the "Fire Archie" brigade. You know how it is...reality be damned. They demand an NCAA tournament in year-2 because they let it slide in year-1. Archie is getting paid a million of this and they're paying for season tickets. Success should be immediate, URI is a basketball factory, we should expect championships every year, what's taking Archie so long, blah, blah...

These people would be pissed off if a team (any team...HS, college, etc.) went from 10-20 to 20-10. I mean after all, they never should've lost those 10 games, unacceptable.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 10 months ago

If you don’t want steady growth then go cheer for a blue blood where you’ll get second weekend appearances every other season.

Major schools. Archie isn’t a miracle worker and we’re currently not at the top of the list for transfers.

But then again, your expectations are very unrealistic for this program so it is what it is.
Wrong
Rhody15...unfortunately, there are some on this board chomping at the bit to be first in line for the "Fire Archie" brigade. You know how it is...reality be damned. They demand an NCAA tournament in year-2 because they let it slide in year-1. Archie is getting paid a million of this and they're paying for season tickets. Success should be immediate, URI is a basketball factory, we should expect championships every year, what's taking Archie so long, blah, blah...

These people would be pissed off if a team (any team...HS, college, etc.) went from 10-20 to 20-10. I mean after all, they never should've lost those 10 games, unacceptable.
Lol....
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Wrong

What a clown. I was one of the first to advocate for hiring Miller. It's people like you who say it takes time to achieve greatness that led to hiring CFL. Nah, I'll hold people accountable on day one. I'm sure Archie appreciates that some people expect him to do great things now.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Wrong

What a clown. I was one of the first to advocate for hiring Miller. It's people like you who say it takes time to achieve greatness that led to hiring CFL. Nah, I'll hold people accountable on day one. I'm sure Archie appreciates that some people expect him to do great things now.
What planet are you on, man?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

For me, this is how I look at it.

There is a difference between what I wish for and would love to happen vs. what my realistic immediate expectations are for 23-24.
Like I said, based on where I see the current A10 rosters, still looking at an 8-12 finish.
Yeah of course I would be disappointed but still I wouldn't consider that a failure, as long as I see the building blocks in place for a drastic improvement in 24-25.
Our record this season isn't as important to me as watching this team grow and be competitive throughout the season.
Mainly because I doubt we will qualify for any post-season play.
Remember Hurley finished 14th his first season and 10th his 2nd.

If we end up having to go through another roster rebuild after this upcoming season, then I would have my concerns.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

if we have a poor season 23-24 there will be a roster turn over like last year....Maybe some players will not leave because of transfer rules but there will still be a turnover.
Please stop comparing Hurley to Miller. There was no portal and you had time to build teams. Those days are over for Mid Majors!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 10 months ago For me, this is how I look at it.

There is a difference between what I wish for and would love to happen vs. what my realistic immediate expectations are for 23-24.
Like I said, based on where I see the current A10 rosters, still looking at an 8-12 finish.
Yeah of course I would be disappointed but still I wouldn't consider that a failure, as long as I see the building blocks in place for a drastic improvement in 24-25.
Our record this season isn't as important to me as watching this team grow and be competitive throughout the season.

If we end up having to go through another roster rebuild after this upcoming season, then I would have my concerns.
I'm sorry, but 8-12th place in THIS toilet of a conference...just not acceptable. I don't care what Hurls did in his first two seasons...players can transfer at the drop of a hat now....things are different. Teams can, and will, totally flip rosters year to year - especially if they suck (we did). It is totally reasonable for everyone to expect much different from last year. 8th to 12th....not much different, certainly no more exciting or interesting.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 10 months ago For me, this is how I look at it.

I'm sorry, but 8-12th place in THIS toilet of a conference...just not acceptable. I don't care what Hurls did in his first two seasons...players can transfer at the drop of a hat now....things are different. Teams can, and will, totally flip rosters year to year - especially if they suck (we did). It is totally reasonable for everyone to expect much different from last year. 8th to 12th....not much different, certainly no more exciting or interesting.
First of all, we are not a toilet conference.
The A10 is still considered a top 5 mid-major.

Also if anything the NIL, portal, and P6 expansion has made things more difficult not easier.

So if an 8th place finish is not acceptable and if that is where we finish or worse, I guess you will lead the fire Archie chant.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If it’s a 1 bid league it’s a toilet league like the others that not too long ago we rightfully disparaged. If it’s a 1 bid league, I will not be satisfied with anything other than owning the A10 and going to the NCAA tournament 4/5 years with the facilities we have and the investment in Archie’s salary. We are not paying him almost 2 mill a year for no bids, NIT bids or any other non NCAA tournament bids. The salary he is getting is for NCAA bids.

That being said I don’t expect it this season and it seems like things are set up for next season as we got older with this class but they will need to gel. Hey it could happen this season, but I’m not expecting it.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 10 months ago If it’s a 1 bid league it’s a toilet league like the others that not too long ago we rightfully disparaged. If it’s a 1 bid league, I will not be satisfied with anything other than owning the A10 and going to the NCAA tournament 4/5 years with the facilities we have and the investment in Archie’s salary. We are not paying him almost 2 mill a year for no bids, NIT bids or any other non NCAA tournament bids. The salary he is getting is for NCAA bids.

That being said I don’t expect it this season and it seems like things are set up for next season as we got older with this class but they will need to gel. Hey it could happen this season, but I’m not expecting it.
Agree RIFan, but the big question is, if we have talent this year can we keep them for the following year. If we get another Toppin like exodus, it's not going to bode well.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 10 months ago If it’s a 1 bid league it’s a toilet league like the others that not too long ago we rightfully disparaged. If it’s a 1 bid league, I will not be satisfied with anything other than owning the A10 and going to the NCAA tournament 4/5 years with the facilities we have and the investment in Archie’s salary. We are not paying him almost 2 mill a year for no bids, NIT bids or any other non NCAA tournament bids. The salary he is getting is for NCAA bids.
First of all I expect this staff and our program to contend for A10 titles just not this upcoming season.

Second Archie's salary will be the norm when hiring head coaches with that track record.

Also last season only 3 mid-majors had more than 1 bid.
In 2022 we were 1 of 4 mid-majors to have multiple bids.

We aren't joining the P6, MWC, WCC, or the AAC so the A10 is the best we can do, and we are better top to bottom then the others I haven't mentioned.
Last edited by Jersey77 10 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Why do people keep thinking that URI is at the top three of the league for facilities and coaches salary? Even with the contract for Archie and new practice facility, Rhody probably is only in the top six and is far closer to 6th rather than first. Dayton and St Louis are clear favorites for facilities and spending. UMass has a decent bigger arena, stand alone practice facility, and pays Martin about the same as Miller. URI may have a slightly better similar sized arena than VCU but they have a beautiful stand alone practice facility and spend far more on their program. Richmond has a nice recently renovated arena just a bit smaller than URI and has a practice facility in an older nearby building. The Spiders compensate Mooney very well. If programs were to be evaluated on arena, practice facility, and salary and spending, URI is realistically likely only in the 5-6 range.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Ideally the A10 would get 3 NCAA bids and a few NIT to justify the investments those teams have made. Because interest in non perennial NCAA teams in 1 bid conferences is not high and if it continues down this path it will be hard to justify these salaries and continued institutional commitment to these programs at these levels.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 10 months ago
First of all I expect this staff and our program to contend for A10 titles just not this upcoming season.

Second Archie's salary will be the norm when hiring head coaches with that track record.

We aren't joining the P6, MWC, WCC, or the AAC so the A10 is the best we can do, and we are better top to bottom then the others I haven't mentioned.
In the future if this team isn't competing for at-large bids, my interest will diminish to the point of just watching the conference tournament.
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I don't understand why anyone would not want a winning team...I get all the excuses but don't you want to cheer on a winning team.
Then that leads to better OOC schedule.
I want to win now. Why do we need to wait..why????
Is it the school, is it the facilities, is it the conference? If that is the case then it needs to be corrected.
Are we going to wait another year or two and be in the same situation...then what? Now we are 4 years in what do you do then. Fix something that could have been fixed two years ago
This is not a reflection of the coaching staff I'm sure they want to win now.
I want to know what it will take to win now. Building and hoping does not get it done
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If the A10 remains 1 bid and we aren’t that team, I will probably never step in the Ryan again nor donate another dollar.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This is why I advocated for a move to the CAA or something like that. If the A-10 is just going to be a one bid league, go to the CAA, relegate Delaware or Hofstra or whoever to #2, take their lunch money and simply go to the NCAA tournament every year. Just become like the Temple of the CAA so to speak.

I'm guessing that may be what happens depending on what happens when the A-10 implodes. And the A-10 will implode. We spent the last 25 years building our facilities so it's not a matter of needing that anymore.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

In the future if this team isn't competing for at-large bids, my interest will diminish to the point of just watching the conference tournament.
That I can understand Blueram.

If this team continues to underperform and the staff is unable to elevate our program to be consistent conference contenders, then yeah you won't be alone.

I just don't think that will be the case.
Maybe not this season, but I have faith that Archie and his staff will turn things around and our fanbase will embrace the program.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I'll be in the Ryan Center if we suck or if we are the best team in the country. If we suck, I may be cheering for the head coach to get fired, but I can't imagine not wanting to watch URI basketball at the Ryan Center.. To each their own
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 10 months ago I'll be in the Ryan Center if we suck or if we are the best team in the country. If we suck, I may be cheering for the head coach to get fired, but I can't imagine not wanting to watch URI basketball at the Ryan Center.. To each their own
Yeah Stevey, I obviously don't get to the RC as much as you, but win or lose, I will always be following them closely, and get to my share of the games home and away.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If this team continues to underperform and the staff is unable to elevate our program to be consistent conference contenders, then yeah you won't be alone.

Maybe not this season, but I have faith that Archie and his staff will turn things around and our fanbase will embrace the program.
That's not what I was saying. If teams can't compete for At-Large bids in the A10, it's a lost cause. If the A10 gets to auto bid status, that is a nail in the coffin.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

That's not what I was saying. If teams can't compete for At-Large bids in the A10, it's a lost cause. If the A10 gets to auto bid status, that is a nail in the coffin.
Yeah Blueram, I feel there will always be an opportunity to compete for at-large bids in the A10.
As a program we just have to take care of business.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

On the bright side for those ride or die fans, you won’t have any need to get season tickets and you’ll be able to sit wherever you want.

I love Rhody basketball, but if the powers that be let it just slip away into irrelevance then I will not support that.
Last edited by RIFan 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 10 months ago This is why I advocated for a move to the CAA or something like that. If the A-10 is just going to be a one bid league, go to the CAA, relegate Delaware or Hofstra or whoever to #2, take their lunch money and simply go to the NCAA tournament every year. Just become like the Temple of the CAA so to speak.

I'm guessing that may be what happens depending on what happens when the A-10 implodes. And the A-10 will implode. We spent the last 25 years building our facilities so it's not a matter of needing that anymore.
Jcru, be serious, a move to the CAA ,Patriot, A-East, or MAAC will not happen nor should it.
If the A10 ceases to exist, which I doubt, then some select remaining pieces along with a few key additions will form a new conference.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 10 months ago Why do people keep thinking that URI is at the top three of the league for facilities and coaches salary? Even with the contract for Archie and new practice facility, Rhody probably is only in the top six and is far closer to 6th rather than first. Dayton and St Louis are clear favorites for facilities and spending. UMass has a decent bigger arena, stand alone practice facility, and pays Martin about the same as Miller. URI may have a slightly better similar sized arena than VCU but they have a beautiful stand alone practice facility and spend far more on their program. Richmond has a nice recently renovated arena just a bit smaller than URI and has a practice facility in an older nearby building. The Spiders compensate Mooney very well. If programs were to be evaluated on arena, practice facility, and salary and spending, URI is realistically likely only in the 5-6 range.
But...Rhode Island. I mean, at the end of the day, it is pretty awesome here.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 10 months ago I don't understand why anyone would not want a winning team...I get all the excuses but don't you want to cheer on a winning team.
Then that leads to better OOC schedule.
I want to win now. Why do we need to wait..why????
Is it the school, is it the facilities, is it the conference? If that is the case then it needs to be corrected.
Are we going to wait another year or two and be in the same situation...then what? Now we are 4 years in what do you do then. Fix something that could have been fixed two years ago
This is not a reflection of the coaching staff I'm sure they want to win now.
I want to know what it will take to win now. Building and hoping does not get it done
We roll through the cupped cake competition this year...then, re-shuffle with strong road OOC's the following year and roll again. Let's go.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 10 months ago I'll be in the Ryan Center if we suck or if we are the best team in the country. If we suck, I may be cheering for the head coach to get fired, but I can't imagine not wanting to watch URI basketball at the Ryan Center.. To each their own
I'll make that long trek as well. Record be what it may. Where else am I going to get all the $13 beers I want?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m still optimistic in this team and staff, most likely no post season this year but in year 3 can see it for sure
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I can’t believe how negative most are here. Wild.

Keep the receipts and don’t lock any threads this time, I want my victory lap.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 10 months ago I can’t believe how negative most are here. Wild.

Blue Man, not sure what you mean by negativity.
Most of us feel very good about this staff and think our future is in good hands.

Just tempering our expectations for this season because we are coming off a 14th A10 finish and lost our best player.
We basically have a new roster (9 additions and a RS) and many unknowns.

I trust that the players Archie added will be a good fit, but this season I expect us to have our struggles.
Many other teams in our conference have rosters loaded with proven/successful Div. 1 talent.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Most of us feel very good about this staff and think our future is in good hands.

Just tempering our expectations for this season because we are coming off a 14th A10 finish and lost our best player.

I trust that the players Archie added will be a good fit, but this season I expect us to have our struggles.
Many other teams in our conference have rosters loaded with proven/successful Div. 1 talent.
I think BM is getting ahead of everyone with wildly unrealistic expectations for this season who will then come here and bash the staff when those expectations aren't met. Because, like with Hurley, when (not if) those expectations are met, those same people will be on here talking about how they never lost faith and always supported Archie.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This graphic shows the A-10 SOS based on results of opponents performance last season:

RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I am actually optimistic that this team may surprise some, but think next year (assuming no catastrophic transfer or injury) will be the big breakthrough. My concern is more big picture and the difficultly in getting to the NCAAs in a tougher than average 1 bid league and the long term consequences if the league doesn’t turn it around.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyKyle wrote: 10 months ago

I think BM is getting ahead of everyone with wildly unrealistic expectations for this season who will then come here and bash the staff when those expectations aren't met. Because, like with Hurley, when (not if) those expectations are met, those same people will be on here talking about how they never lost faith and always supported Archie.
Close - but I'm looking at the "wildly unrealistic" and "tempered expectations" the same.

I think it's wholly unrealistic for people to think we're going to finish in the bottom third of the conference.

I think it's also unrealistic for those same people to a) expect that, and b) not be excited about this team because their expectations suck.

Yes, this is a rebuild. But I think it's a wild duality to think this team is going to be bad - but should be good in year 2 of a rebuild.

It's what happened with Hurley in 2016 - people were throwing in the towel on Dan because we weren't projected to make the tourney in December or January. Why people are throwing in the towel because there isn't a "buzz" about the team in the offseason is stupid.

UMass had so much buzz last year, and they did shit. Archie isn't Dan - and I don't mean skill level as a coach, I mean as a program salesman. Dan was detail oriented about everything around the program - from the band to the fans to the marketing - he demanded his level on everything. Archie cares about basketball only. He only cares about getting the team to win and doesn't stress crowds or buzz or selling the program because he knows that will take care of itself once we win.

For anyone paying attention, this team is a good to very good team - especially in the A10. I'll be shocked if we finish outside of the top 6. But that's me.

Where some people lose me is this "I'm not excited about this team because no one in the media is talking about us and saying how good we are on paper so I'm throwing in the towel" - and by extension think that "Archie is paid so we should be in the NCAA tournament this year." I think both thoughts suck.

Archie is making "a lot" by URI standards. Archie is getting paid 2nd in the A10 and 62nd in the country. There are 36 at large births. By salary alone, if the A10 is a 1 bid league, then that would mean we still don't pay Archie relative to that expectation.

Now, I think we're paying Archie for what he is - a championship level coach. And I think he's going to get there. My point is the pay is a dumb argument.

It's also asinine to think that because of the transfer portal you're supposed to win right away. North Carolina got a new coach and in year 2 had the #1 team in the country and couldn't make the tournament.

Trust Archie. Trust what URI is doing. Enjoy the ride. Go Rhody.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

I have, and I will. Amen.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blueman was 100% correct on Dan after I got sour on him... My guess is he'll be right about Archie as well. Not saying i'm sour on Archie I love Archie and have all the faith in the world in this staff.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 10 months ago

Close - but I'm looking at the "wildly unrealistic" and "tempered expectations" the same.

I think it's wholly unrealistic for people to think we're going to finish in the bottom third of the conference.

I think it's also unrealistic for those same people to a) expect that, and b) not be excited about this team because their expectations suck.

Yes, this is a rebuild. But I think it's a wild duality to think this team is going to be bad - but should be good in year 2 of a rebuild.

It's what happened with Hurley in 2016 - people were throwing in the towel on Dan because we weren't projected to make the tourney in December or January. Why people are throwing in the towel because there isn't a "buzz" about the team in the offseason is stupid.

UMass had so much buzz last year, and they did shit. Archie isn't Dan - and I don't mean skill level as a coach, I mean as a program salesman. Dan was detail oriented about everything around the program - from the band to the fans to the marketing - he demanded his level on everything. Archie cares about basketball only. He only cares about getting the team to win and doesn't stress crowds or buzz or selling the program because he knows that will take care of itself once we win.

For anyone paying attention, this team is a good to very good team - especially in the A10. I'll be shocked if we finish outside of the top 6. But that's me.

Where some people lose me is this "I'm not excited about this team because no one in the media is talking about us and saying how good we are on paper so I'm throwing in the towel" - and by extension think that "Archie is paid so we should be in the NCAA tournament this year." I think both thoughts suck.

Archie is making "a lot" by URI standards. Archie is getting paid 2nd in the A10 and 62nd in the country. There are 36 at large births. By salary alone, if the A10 is a 1 bid league, then that would mean we still don't pay Archie relative to that expectation.

Now, I think we're paying Archie for what he is - a championship level coach. And I think he's going to get there. My point is the pay is a dumb argument.

It's also asinine to think that because of the transfer portal you're supposed to win right away. North Carolina got a new coach and in year 2 had the #1 team in the country and couldn't make the tournament.

All fair. I didn't see many doomer posts just those same few who say that Archie's pay means we have to be an NCAA team and then posters like Jersey trying to bring those people back to reality while saying everyone should expect a mid-pack finish for year 2 of the rebuild, which is fair, in my opinion. I won't enjoy this board when the sky-high expectations aren't being met and those people start complaining.

But doomers thinking Archie can't get us out of the cellar also need to be brought back into reality.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well said BM , wouldn’t shock me @ all if we are top 6 though I probably won’t predict it
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think the big difference between the attitude of the board this time around vs. the Hurley years is that with Hurley the majority of the board had started to turn on him and there were only a few of us holdouts left that still believed and this time around its flipped and there are only a few of the typical complainers that tend to whine about everything doubting Archie and most posters still believe we're on the right track.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Actually Blue Man I don't think it is unrealistic at all by predicting a finish below 6th, actually just the opposite.

Yes I think Archie is a very good coach but if this team performs as well as you suggest, he is more than that, possibly a magician.

Just looking at the resume of some of our more seasoned players and the inexperience of the others, comparing that with our competition in the conference, it is difficult for me to see a top half finish.

Not to say in 24-25, with a year together, that can be a different story with much higher expectations.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good post, BM. However….I am not taking any responsibility for any at-large births. The Mrs will definitely shit-list me for that. :lol:
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Jersey77 wrote: 10 months ago Jcru, be serious, a move to the CAA ,Patriot, A-East, or MAAC will not happen nor should it.
If the A10 ceases to exist, which I doubt, then some select remaining pieces along with a few key additions will form a new conference.
One of these days, someone really ought to explain to the rest of us, why a team from Missouri is in the "Atlantic 10". Missouri isn't even East of the Mississippi River. It's not even part of the "Louisiana Purchase". It's not East. And not part of the Atlantic.

And if you look into it, I think you will find, that their reasoning of joining the A-10, wasn't much different than my reasoning of joining the CAA. Namely, go to a Conference RIPE for the picking, all you have to do is beat Dayton and now VCU most years, and go to the NCAAT a good share of the time.

Their reasoning, for traveling all over the East Coast, makes sense. The thing that doesn't make sense is why the A-10 invited them in the first place.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 10 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 10 months ago Jcru, be serious, a move to the CAA ,Patriot, A-East, or MAAC will not happen nor should it.
One of these days, someone really ought to explain to the rest of us, why a team from Missouri is in the "Atlantic 10". Missouri isn't even East of the Mississippi River. It's not even part of the "Louisiana Purchase". It's not East. And not part of the Atlantic.

And if you look into it, I think you will find, that their reasoning of joining the A-10, wasn't much different than my reasoning of joining the CAA. Namely, go to a Conference RIPE for the picking, all you have to do is beat Dayton and now VCU most years, and go to the NCAAT a good share of the time.

Their reasoning, for traveling all over the East Coast, makes sense. The thing that doesn't make sense is why the A-10 invited them in the first place.
Remember when SLU joined the A10 from C-USA, GW and St. Joes were successful.
Also, there was Xavier and Temple, VCU wasn't in the A10 at that time in 2005.

I think SLU was a good addition and favorable to Dayton.
Now with adding Loyola/Chicago the A10 is trying get a stronger foothold in the Midwest along with adding the best programs available.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

They added those teams, because the A-10 has always been a copy cat league to the Big East.

And if the Big East was expanding all over creation, well, by Golly, the A-10 was going to take that idea and run with it.

All the A-10 cares about is making money for itself. And now the chickens are starting to come home to roost
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

And if I gave a rat's azz about Midwest college basketball, there are a heck of a lot better Conferences out there to watch than this one, with SLU and Loyola Chicago.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jeez no one tell jcru about the B1G or SEC. Or B12. Or Pac12. Or AAC.

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

He said we were going to look to add the best teams, etc, etc,.

We have 15 right now. How many would we like? 20?

Maybe we can get 2 bids then?

The math doesn't add up, no matter what you might think of me personally. Those other conferences maintain a certain amt of teams. They don't just expand for the sake of expansion.

And those other conferences ACT. The A-10 reacts. One more year of Juan Bid, I think the writing may be on the wall here. The A-10 doesn't have a plan to reverse the trend we are seeing, because it's not a priority to them. $$$ is.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Remember DC Rams? David Cox 1st. Everything else 2nd. ?

Well, we have at least one poster here that is A-10 first. If the A-10 was our best option, I would be the first one climbing to the rooftop to yell to the people below about how great it was.

The person who mentioned "toilet bowl conference" was closer to the truth. At least when it comes to circling the drain.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 10 months ago They added those teams, because the A-10 has always been a copy cat league to the Big East.

And if the Big East was expanding all over creation, well, by Golly, the A-10 was going to take that idea and run with it.

All the A-10 cares about is making money for itself. And now the chickens are starting to come home to roost
Making $ for the member schools is a big deal.

Lots of similarities to the BE.
Both conferences are focused on basketball and started in the East.
Look at all the A10 teams that were poached by the BE: Butler, Pitt, Rutgers, Villanova, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, and Xavier.
Last edited by Jersey77 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.