11/20 | Tulsa | 7:30PM (FloHoops) | Sunshine Slam

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/20 | Tulsa | 7:30PM (FloHoops) | Sunshine Slam

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I hope this isn't the start of "well we can beat bad teams but against more or less equal teams we lose"......aka the Baron years......

Too early to make conclusions but you know.......
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

TOs do appear to be the culprit as I was watching ESPN game cast it seemed the TO Rhody Player was a frequent play. Followed by field goal Tulsa player.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Make that not physically or mentally tough. I saw this coming, so I'm not surprised.
So assuming you are right - that the team is not physically or mentally tough then how did we get there and who is responsible for us having gotten to a “not physically and mentally tough point?”
I'm sure he'll say the coach has nothing to do with it.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey everyone. At Daytona hanging with some Keaney Bluers. I have never been closer to the team than last night behind the bench seeing the dynamics of the team. It is definitely Coach Cox team and he was as firery as ever. A W would have been nice but the team played a stiffer opponent.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago Hey everyone. At Daytona hanging with some Keaney Bluers. I have never been closer to the team than last night behind the bench seeing the dynamics of the team. It is definitely Coach Cox team and he was as firery as ever. A W would have been nice but the team played a stiffer opponent.
Sorry, but I am not sure what you mean by a stiffer opponent? If you mean a better team, I was there and certainly did not have that opinion.

When Rhody was up by 7 (and could have been more) who do you think was the better team?

I remember at about the 12 minute mark,Rhody came down and went slow at Cox's direction. This was the turning point as the game changed and Rhody looked lost and without energy the rest of the game. Of course, this was added to by the lack of time out when Rhody went down by 2 or 4 and then the time out after made baskets.

Does Cox realize that when you call a time out the other team also gets a chance to plan and make adjustments.

I have seen enough of Cox's bench coach and game adjustments, he is simply terrible at that part of the game.

SG EDIT: Cleaned up the quoting.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago
sbrand wrote: 2 years ago Hey everyone. At Daytona hanging with some Keaney Bluers. I have never been closer to the team than last night behind the bench seeing the dynamics of the team. It is definitely Coach Cox team and he was as firery as ever. A W would have been nice but the team played a stiffer opponent.
Sorry, but I am not sure what you mean by a stiffer opponent? If you mean a better team, I was there and certainly did not have that opinion.

When Rhody was up by 7 (and could have been more) who do you think was the better team?

I remember at about the 12 minute mark,Rhody came down and went slow at Cox's direction. This was the turning point as the game changed and Rhody looked lost and without energy the rest of the game. Of course, this was added to by the lack of time out when Rhody went down by 2 or 4 and then the time out after made baskets.

Does Cox realize that when you call a time out the other team also gets a chance to plan and make adjustments.

I have seen enough of Cox's bench coach and game adjustments, he is simply terrible at that part of the game.

SG EDIT: Cleaned up the quoting.
Ya, I was screaming from the stands to please call a timeout as the lead continued to grow. I also had no clue why he had Ish, EA, and Shep all on the bench together. Cox was definitely firery but he had his worst game this year. Let’s see how he responds today against a lesser opponent
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I thought the team showed good effort when they came back and had a 1 point lead at the half.
The start of the 2nd half was disappointing and a lot of back and forth.
After we went on a nice run and jumped to a 57-50 lead, I thought that momentum would carry us to the end.
It seemed like we started to force things, bad turnovers and fouls, and Horne started to heat up for them.
The team played desperate from there on and Tulsa was getting into a nice flow.

Overall a very disappointing loss to a team we should of beaten.
Playing BC again worries me, a game we can easily lose, if we aren't focused.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Make that not physically or mentally tough. I saw this coming, so I'm not surprised.
So assuming you are right - that the team is not physically or mentally tough then how did we get there and who is responsible for us having gotten to a “not physically and mentally tough point?”
No team is all-world! Teams have strengths and weaknesses. Winning requires maximizing the impact of your strengths and minimizing the impact of your weaknesses and hoping that you outscore your opponents. Losing means that your detractors will crawl out of their holes and blame the coach.
NCAAs or Bust!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
No team is all-world! Teams have strengths and weaknesses. Winning requires maximizing the impact of your strengths and minimizing the impact of your weaknesses and hoping that you outscore your opponents. Losing means that your detractors will crawl out of their holes and blame the coach.
It would have been nicer to offer a more incisive answer to the question posed rather than offering up a cliche ridden, personal cheap shot. Not classy at all.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

PLEASE. STOP. RESPONDING. TO. THE. OBVIOUS. TROLL.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago
It would have been nicer to offer a more incisive answer to the question posed rather than offering up a cliche ridden, personal cheap shot. Not classy at all.
I guess you didn't read the question as a cheap shot at Cox as the poster does at every opportunity.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago PLEASE. STOP. RESPONDING. TO. THE. OBVIOUS. TROLL.
You’re almost just as bad posting this exact same response every time someone responds to Rhody72.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 2 years ago
I guess you didn't read the question as a cheap shot at Cox as the poster does at every opportunity.
Rhody72 wrote: ↑1 day ago
Make that not physically or mentally tough. I saw this coming, so I'm not surprised.

Rhody72,

You made the statement once again that URI is not physically or mentally tough. That you saw this coming and you are not surprised.

I strongly disagree with this. I see players giving relentless, strong efforts on defense in all 5 games that I have watched. I watch off the ball about as much as I watch on the ball when we play defense. I see guys helping each other out but I also see guys not NEEDING to help each other out because they are so talented on defense that they don't need help. El-Amin, Leggett, Sheppard and Malik Martin are all playing strong defense. This also takes some pressure off of Makhi, Makhel and Walker since our guards are not getting beaten by their opponent very frequently.

I see our players as being unselfish and a cohesive unit in the 1st 5 games. We lost to Tulsa but not for lack of physical or mental toughness. Sam Griffin played an excellent game with 9-16 FG for 21 points and was especially hot in the 1st half. Jeriah Horne went 7-13 for 17 points and was especially hot in the 2nd half. Two excellent players who got hot. This is going to happen, teams get hot with 3P's doesn't necessarily convert to mental and physical weakness.

So since I don't see the team as physically or mentally weak this season through 5 games, then there can be no criticism of Coach Cox for the team being physically and mentally weak, right?. My question back to you was that instead of blaming the players for being physically and mentally weak, shouldn't you be questioning the Coaching staff that recruited said players?