A10 Outlook for 21-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: A10 Outlook for 21-22

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Another '21 commit for the Bonnies.
All their scholarships are filled for this season.

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not surprising Rhody players didn't get a lot of love on this list, we were shut out.

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Not surprising Rhody players didn't get a lot of love on this list, we were shut out.

#sad
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

College Sports Madness has just listed Dayton as the next A-10 team in its Top 144. The Flyers are #102 nationally for 6th place in the conference (just ahead of #7 URI). The link is:

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/19645
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Barttorvik A10 Projections, teams and players
https://barttorvik.com/conf.php?conf=A10&year=2022

I like the top 6 in that order: Bonnies, Richmond, VCU, SLU, Dayton, and URI.
Davidson next, then UMass, and I would put GW in the top 10, LaSalle and Fordham at the bottom.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Barttorvik A10 Projections, teams and players

Davidson next, then UMass, and I would put GW in the top 10, LaSalle and Fordham at the bottom.
Barttorvik must not have read the projections of posters on this board who call themselves fans. They are the real trolls. These projections traditionally underrate URI.
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago

Barttorvik must not have read the projections of posters on this board who call themselves fans. They are the real trolls. These projections traditionally underrate URI.
Jersey77 and Rhody72,
What did Bartovik project URI to finish last season before the season started? I don’t see their projections before season on their website - only post season. So I can’t see historically how they did.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Right.
How many projections last season had URI picked 10th in the A10 finishing (10-15) (7-10) in 2020-21?

But keep pushing for that Increase in Salary and Contract Extension. Thorr and President Dooley need to listen to you Rhody72 - why aren’t they giving your Salary increase and Contract extension?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Jersey77 and Rhody72,
What did Bartovik project URI to finish last season before the season started? I don’t see their projections before season on their website - only post season. So I can’t see historically how they did.
Ramster, I was also unable to find it.
I am guessing it probably would of been better than 10th.
There was so much uncertainty and issues last season, I wonder how many analysts and experts would have excluded both Duke and Kentucky from the NCAAT.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 and Rhody72,
There was so much uncertainty and issues last season, I wonder how many analysts and experts would have excluded both Duke and Kentucky from the NCAAT.
Duke and Kentucky recruit mostly by single year eligibility so they tend to live by the sword, due by the sword. Last season Kentucky had some of their highly rated incoming freshmen not play to expectations. Don’t think either were COVID related, the incoming freshmen just didn’t play as expected. It’s the one and done player recruiting risk. Would have happened Covid or no Covid.

URI actually gut a huge break unexpectedly getting all 5 transfers eligible with both Mitchell’s, Carey, Martin and Betrand. Without Covid and the NCAA giving waivers like Watermelon Seeds (as Jon Rothstein likes to say) then URI would have started Russell, Sheppard, Walker, Harris and Johnson. Who knows, maybe would have still finished (10-15), (7-10).

I don’t subscribe to the “last season should be written off” mantra. Season was played, statistics are in the record books and Coaches were paid. Team records included Some good, some bad, some ugly.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 and Rhody72,
Duke and Kentucky recruit mostly by single year eligibility so they tend to live by the sword, due by the sword. Last season Kentucky had some of their highly rated incoming freshmen not play to expectations. Don’t think either were COVID related, the incoming freshmen just didn’t play as expected. It’s the one and done player recruiting risk. Would have happened Covid or no Covid.

URI actually gut a huge break unexpectedly getting all 5 transfers eligible with both Mitchell’s, Carey, Martin and Betrand. Without Covid and the NCAA giving waivers like Watermelon Seeds (as Jon Rothstein likes to say) then URI would have started Russell, Sheppard, Walker, Harris and Johnson. Who knows, maybe would have still finished (10-15), (7-10).

I don’t subscribe to the “last season should be written off” mantra. Season was played, statistics are in the record books and Coaches were paid. Team records included Some good, some bad, some ugly.
I am not about to justify our 10-15 record or our play at the end of 19-20.
Yet this was far from a typical basketball season, not close to having normal circumstances.

I "personally" was not as engaged as usual this past season. Maybe because I didn't attend any games, empty arenas without the fan excitement, or just because of everything else going on outside the world of basketball.

Again, as I said many times, I am not yet ready to give up on this staff.
I am still optimistic that we will see much improvement this year and Cox will probably receive some sort of extension, probably short term. IMO
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yet this was far from a typical basketball season, not close to having normal circumstances.

I "personally" was not as engaged as usual this past season. Maybe because I didn't attend any games, empty arenas without the fan excitement, or just because of everything else going on outside the world of basketball.

I am still optimistic that we will see much improvement this year and Cox will probably receive some sort of extension, probably short term. IMO
Of course the season was different. But it was different across the board.

Look no further than Tammi Reiss who took her team to an incredible 3rd place finish and received A10 Coach of the Year. She then proceeded to recruit the starting PG from BE PC and got a 1st team All BE Player from Seton Hall. Plus 2 more transfers and 3 incoming freshmen.

Some programs, coaches and fans discount last year while others took advantage of the situation. Same thing with the Stock Market and businesses. There is the poor me crowd and the how can I make the most of this situation and grow at others expense.

Watch the URI women’s team this season. And pick up on the excitement of Tammi’s daily social media - lots of enthusiasm and positive vibes - not just for the WBB but for all URI sports, teams and individual athletes - she is a great leader.

And she was never a HC - only going into her 3rd year with a nice salary increase and 2 year contract extension upon completion of a Covid season many want to just ignore and not count. Food for thought.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Look no further than Tammi Reiss who took her team to an incredible 3rd place finish and received A10 Coach of the Year. She then proceeded to recruit the starting PG from BE PC and got a 1st team All BE Player from Seton Hall. Plus 2 more transfers and 3 incoming freshmen.

Some programs, coaches and fans discount last year while others took advantage of the situation. Same thing with the Stock Market and businesses. There is the poor me crowd and the how can I make the most of this situation and grow at others expense.

Watch the URI women’s team this season. And pick up on the excitement of Tammi’s daily social media - lots of enthusiasm and positive vibes - not just for the WBB but for all URI sports, teams and individual athletes - she is a great leader.

And she was never a HC - only going into her 3rd year with a nice salary increase and 2 year contract extension upon completion of a Covid season many want to just ignore and not count. Food for thought.
Of course I was disappointed with our results last season who wasn't?

Ramster, you asked several of us our thoughts going into this season and if we think Cox will be retained (I had responded), what do you think?
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Last season's record looks worse on paper than it could have been. Injuries to Makhi and Fatts hurt. Cox could have padded the schedule with local marks and instead took on Wisconsin. I believe the team will gel this season and surprise the usual pundits.
NCAAs or Bust!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I agree with that 72.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Last season's record looks worse on paper than it could have been. Injuries to Makhi and Fatts hurt. Cox could have padded the schedule with local marks and instead took on Wisconsin. I believe the team will gel this season and surprise the usual pundits.
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago I agree with that 72.
Injuries did hurt but also we were supposed to have had "on paper" are deep team because of the Waivers granted to Makhi Mitchell, Makhel Mitchel, Carey, Martin and Betrand. Waivers were widely approved because of Covid and because the Transfer without Penalty Rule Change was soon to be approved so URI got a huge break there.

Cox played Russell a lot of minutes despite his wrist, ankle, knee and hamstring injuries. He made the decision not to rest him very much and Russell was often in games in the late minutes even when the game was already decided which sometimes seemed like a head scratcher but those were the decisions.

As to the record looking worse on paper at (10-15) (7-10) for 10th place, it could have been even worse "on paper"
  • We had a OT win at the Ryan Center over a weak St Joe's Team who played without their best player that night, Ryan Daly, due to a wrist injury.
  • We had double OT win vs Dayton at the Ryan Center that could have gone either way
  • We beat St Bonaventure who played without one of their best players, Jaren Holmes, who was out due to injury that night.
  • We went (0-4) against Duquesne and UMASS
I agree with you Rhody72, that if the team gels this season and goes to the NCAA Tournament then the "usual pundits" will be surprised. And they will be ecstatic to have been wrong.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramster, you asked several of us our thoughts going into this season and if we think Cox will be retained (I had responded), what do you think?
Jersey77,
I think this is a very big season for David Cox and his staff. First off, his contract was not extended and remains at 5 years with this being year 4.

Looking back at the 3 seasons completed:
  • 2018-19: (18-15) (9-9). Lost last game of the season to St Bonaventure 51-68. Starting Line Up for last game: Langevine, Dowtin, Tyrese Martin, Russell, Harris. This was a roster capable of making the NCAA Tournament.
  • 2019-20: (21-9) (13-5). Lost 4 of their last 7 games. Starting Line Up for last game: Langevine, Dowtin, Tyrese Martin, Russell, Harris. Same Starters as previous year. This was a roster capable of making the NCAA Tournament.
  • 2020-21: (10-15) (7-10). Lost 7 of last 8 games. Starting Line Up for last game: Makhel Mitchell, Russell, Leggett, Walker, Malik Martin. All 5 transfers were granted waivers. Critical losses to transfer in Tyrese Martin to UCONN and Jacob Toppin to Kentucky
This will be the first season for David Cox without his PG Russell. These will be very big shoes to fill as Russell had a spectacular career at URI.

IMHO URI needs to make the NCAA Tournament this season for David Cox to keep his job and get a Contract Extension. He needs to finish Top 3 in the A10.

The starting lineup plus Makhi and Malik is capable of big things. Does URI turn it around from a dismal (10-15) (7-10) 10th place season without Russell as the centerpiece? Biggest change is El-Amin for Russell. A lot of points need to be replaced with Russell's departure to Maryland. Does Team Chemistry improve significantly? The OOC schedule is weaker than last season so the team could potentially get off to a good start and then momentum/confidence could take over. Judging from past 3 seasons performance, making the NCAA Tournament will be a very big long shot, but I'd love nothing more to be proven wrong on that.

Sheppard PG
Leggett SG
El-Amin SG
Makhel Mitchell F/C
Walker F

Makhi Mitchell F/C
Malik Martin SG
Others
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago Last season's record looks worse on paper than it could have been. Injuries to Makhi and Fatts hurt. Cox could have padded the schedule with local marks and instead took on Wisconsin. I believe the team will gel this season and surprise the usual pundits.
Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago I agree with that 72.
Injuries did hurt but also we were supposed to have had "on paper" are deep team because of the Waivers granted to Makhi Mitchell, Makhel Mitchel, Carey, Martin and Betrand. Waivers were widely approved because of Covid and because the Transfer without Penalty Rule Change was soon to be approved so URI got a huge break there.

Cox played Russell a lot of minutes despite his wrist, ankle, knee and hamstring injuries. He made the decision not to rest him very much and Russell was often in games in the late minutes even when the game was already decided which sometimes seemed like a head scratcher but those were the decisions.

As to the record looking worse on paper at (10-15) (7-10) for 10th place, it could have been even worse "on paper"
  • We had a OT win at the Ryan Center over a weak St Joe's Team who played without their best player that night, Ryan Daly, due to a wrist injury.
  • We had double OT win vs Dayton at the Ryan Center that could have gone either way
  • We beat St Bonaventure who played without one of their best players, Jaren Holmes, who was out due to injury that night.
  • We went (0-4) against Duquesne and UMASS
I agree with you Rhody72, that if the team gels this season and goes to the NCAA Tournament then the "usual pundits" will be surprised. And they will be ecstatic to have been wrong.
I believe our team will "gel" this season and we should be extremely competitive.
But getting to the NCAAT is another matter and maybe too much of a reach.
Mainly because of the strength of the upper tier of the A10 and how the committee favors the P6 schools during the selection process (the B10 didn't deserve 9 teams to be invited)
No telling how many teams from our conference will get a bid.
I think it will continue to get more difficult for the Mid-Majors with the new transfer rule, NIL and its affect on recruiting, plus expansion of the major conferences and possibly increasing their in league schedule.
Also due to our schedule for 21-22, the "quality" wins might not be there for us.

Let me just say I don't necessarily disagree with many of these changes, that is just the way it is.

I am not sure what the "usual pundits" are expecting this season in order to be surprised or consider our program heading in the right direction.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The “usual pundits” is the term Rhody72 used.

The goal of the URI MBB Program is to get to the NCAA Tournament.

The A10 was the 7th ranked MBB Conference for many years, sometimes 8th. Recent years has seen a slide to 11th.

Regardless of macro changes to the College Basketball environment the goal is still NCAA Tournament. Unless the Goalposts have been moved by Thorr who I am sure
Has not moved them.

We have fallen from the Upper Echelon of the A10 quickly over the past 3 years. We need to get back up there with VCU, Dayton and St Louis. Richmond and St Bonaventure also strong in recent years. Both MBB and WBB teams in the Top 4 in the conference on a steady basis. WBB quickly moving in the right direction.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77,
I think this is a very big season for David Cox and his staff. First off, his contract was not extended and remains at 5 years with this being year 4.

• 2018-19: (18-15) (9-9). Lost last game of the season to St Bonaventure 51-68. Starting Line Up for last game: Langevine, Dowtin, Tyrese Martin, Russell, Harris. This was a roster capable of making the NCAA Tournament.
  • 2019-20: (21-9) (13-5). Lost 4 of their last 7 games. Starting Line Up for last game: Langevine, Dowtin, Tyrese Martin, Russell, Harris. Same Starters as previous year. This was a roster capable of making the NCAA Tournament.
  • 2020-21: (10-15) (7-10). Lost 7 of last 8 games. Starting Line Up for last game: Makhel Mitchell, Russell, Leggett, Walker, Malik Martin. All 5 transfers were granted waivers. Critical losses to transfer in Tyrese Martin to UCONN and Jacob Toppin to Kentucky
This will be the first season for David Cox without his PG Russell. These will be very big shoes to fill as Russell had a spectacular career at URI.

IMHO URI needs to make the NCAA Tournament this season for David Cox to keep his job and get a Contract Extension. He needs to finish Top 3 in the A10.

The starting lineup plus Makhi and Malik is capable of big things. Does URI turn it around from a dismal (10-15) (7-10) 10th place season without Russell as the centerpiece? Biggest change is El-Amin for Russell. A lot of points need to be replaced with Russell's departure to Maryland. Does Team Chemistry improve significantly? The OOC schedule is weaker than last season so the team could potentially get off to a good start and then momentum/confidence could take over. Judging from past 3 seasons performance, making the NCAA Tournament will be a very big long shot, but I'd love nothing more to be proven wrong on that.

Sheppard PG
Leggett SG
El-Amin SG
Makhel Mitchell F/C
Walker F

Makhi Mitchell F/C
Malik Martin SG
Others
Ramster, I certainly respect your opinion, but this is how I view it.
Let me preface this by saying that I still consider Cox to be a relatively "green" Div. 1 head coach.
I think he is still growing into this position, sure he has made some mistakes, but I also feel he is learning from them and making efforts to move forward.

1st year - Tough for any new coach, especially one for his first HC gig. Say what you want but we still lost 4 starters and practically all our scoring.
An NCAAT bid was not in the cards, too big of a hill to climb in our own conference.

2nd year - We did struggle down the stretch and I was very disappointed with our play those last 7 games. But I remind myself that 2 of those 4 loses were against Dayton a national top 5 team. We did win 21 regular season games and all post season tournaments were cancelled (everybody lost).

3rd year- I understand that season still goes down in the record books, but it was a very difficult time even for the most seasoned head coaches.
We all know the situation and excuses, so no need to regurgitate them, it has been exhausted and debated too many times on this board. So let's move past it, we all have our own thoughts about 20-21.

Yes this year will be very telling for Cox and the staff, but I don't necessarily think making NCAAT is the criteria for him keeping his job.
I doubt Thorr gave him that ultimatum either directly or alluded to it.
Also, not sure if Bozeman would of taken the job under those circumstances.

Ramster you said that making the NCAAT will be the determining factor for Cox keeping his job.
Is that what you believe "will happen" or "should happen" (or both) in relation to the staff preserving their jobs?

Like I said If we see a big improvement this year and Thorr feels this program is moving in the right direction, I think Cox stays (at least for now).
I can see the criteria (NCAAT bid) being 5 years, possibly 6, if we crash and burn this season that is a different story.

I could easily be wrong (I often am) on this timetable in either direction.

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77,

Sheppard PG
Leggett SG
El-Amin SG
Makhel Mitchell F/C
Walker F

Makhi Mitchell F/C
Malik Martin SG
Others
Let me preface this by saying that I still consider Cox to be a relatively "green" Div. 1 head coach.
I think he is still growing into this position, sure he has made some mistakes, but I also feel he is learning from them and making efforts to move forward.

1st year - Tough for any new coach, especially one for his first HC gig. Say what you want but we still lost 4 starters and practically all our scoring.
An NCAAT bid was not in the cards, too big of a hill to climb in our own conference.

2nd year - We did struggle down the stretch and I was very disappointed with our play those last 7 games. But I remind myself that 2 of those 4 loses were against Dayton a national top 5 team. We did win 21 regular season games and all post season tournaments were cancelled (everybody lost).

3rd year- I understand that season still goes down in the record books, but it was a very difficult time even for the most seasoned head coaches.
We all know the situation and excuses, so no need to regurgitate them, it has been exhausted and debated too many times on this board. So let's move past it, we all have our own thoughts about 20-21.

Yes this year will be very telling for Cox and the staff, but I don't necessarily think making NCAAT is the criteria for him keeping his job.

Ramster you said that making the NCAAT will be the determining factor for Cox keeping his job.
Is that what you believe "will happen" or "should happen" (or both) in relation to the staff preserving their jobs?

Like I said If we see a big improvement this year and Thorr feels this program is moving in the right direction, I think Cox stays (at least for now).
I can see the criteria (NCAAT bid) being 5 years, possibly 6, if we crash and burn this season that is a different story.

Jersey77,

Good discussion.
I think "moving in the right direction" is going to be very easy to determine. Based on the last 3 years the program has been distant from an NCAA bid and has fallen out of the Top 4 consistent A10 Teams (we were there BC (Before Cox), right with VCU, Dayton and St Louis. A significant challenge over the 3 years has been retention. We lost Tyrese Martin and Jacob Toppin at a crucial time because we were also losing Langevine and Dowtin - crushing for last season and our saving grace oddly enough was Covid and the NCAA by getting the 5 waivers granted. Russell also decided to part with the program and David Cox. His choice, but on the other hand we saw many A10 players decide to stay with their schools even given the extra year - Richmond a prime example where Mooney has a nice, veteran team returning.

The good news is we learned what the 5 transfers were capable of (otherwise we would have had all 5 on pedestals as fans/media tend to do before they actually see them in action. So good news is we know what we have and don't have in the 5 transfers.

Positive notes:
  • We get to see Jeremy Sheppard as the lead PG. We get to see what he can do. He shows excellent passing ability, good dribbling, adequate defense he is unselfish and he can shoot the 3-ball very well for a PG
  • We have a veteran team. Sheppard 24 years old. Mitchell twins junior level in age. El-Amin a 5th year player with 4 years playing experience at Ball State. Walker a veteran player. Only Leggett a 2nd year player but a steady, intelligent player who displayed good leadership skills last season
  • Bill Koch picked URI 3rd in the A10 preseason last year, A10 HC's picked URI 6th - much of this had to do with Russell being projected 1st Team A10 but maybe the current players will step up and fill the void of Russell and Harris departures effectively. Reality is that all players are back except Russell and Harris. There is good potential for Sheppard, El-Amin, Leggett, Walker and Makhel Mitchell to perform well as a unit - older, mature players. Makhi Mitchell is solid off the bench and could challenge for a starting position either in place of Makhel or Walker - good place to be in. Martin could also push for a starting spot
  • If this team can get some early wins vs Bryant, BU, Harvard, FGCU, etc. then they could gain confidence heading into A10 play. The easier OOC schedule could actually help their confidence, teamwork and self-esteem
  • Coaching staff has another year experience and Bozeman could have an impact with his experience and energy. Big men need more coaching - a real improvement opportunity.
  • Maybe some help comes from freshmen, Carey?
  • Pressure for the team to perform this season - 4th year of 5 year contract. Pressure to perform can be a good thing
  • If this team can do well in OOC then fans will get excited and the Ryan Center will fill up for A10 play
Negative notes:
  • Same Coaching staff as last season with 1 exception.
  • Mostly the same players returning - could be good with more experience, could be not so good since they finished (10-15)

I think odds are we will either make the NCAA Tournament or come very close to it - so decision to extend could be rather obvious

Other possibility is that we have an underachieving season that will result in poor fan turnout. Decision for Thorr will be made easy.

I think those are the two possibilities - my guess is by March the path forward will be clear.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77,

Sheppard PG
Leggett SG
El-Amin SG
Makhel Mitchell F/C
Walker F

Makhi Mitchell F/C
Malik Martin SG
Others

Jersey77,

Good discussion.
I think "moving in the right direction" is going to be very easy to determine. Based on the last 3 years the program has been distant from an NCAA bid and has fallen out of the Top 4 consistent A10 Teams (we were there BC (Before Cox), right with VCU, Dayton and St Louis. A significant challenge over the 3 years has been retention. We lost Tyrese Martin and Jacob Toppin at a crucial time because we were also losing Langevine and Dowtin - crushing for last season and our saving grace oddly enough was Covid and the NCAA by getting the 5 waivers granted. Russell also decided to part with the program and David Cox. His choice, but on the other hand we saw many A10 players decide to stay with their schools even given the extra year - Richmond a prime example where Mooney has a nice, veteran team returning.

The good news is we learned what the 5 transfers were capable of (otherwise we would have had all 5 on pedestals as fans/media tend to do before they actually see them in action. So good news is we know what we have and don't have in the 5 transfers.

Positive notes:
  • We get to see Jeremy Sheppard as the lead PG. We get to see what he can do. He shows excellent passing ability, good dribbling, adequate defense he is unselfish and he can shoot the 3-ball very well for a PG
  • We have a veteran team. Sheppard 24 years old. Mitchell twins junior level in age. El-Amin a 5th year player with 4 years playing experience at Ball State. Walker a veteran player. Only Leggett a 2nd year player but a steady, intelligent player who displayed good leadership skills last season
  • Bill Koch picked URI 3rd in the A10 preseason last year, A10 HC's picked URI 6th - much of this had to do with Russell being projected 1st Team A10 but maybe the current players will step up and fill the void of Russell and Harris departures effectively. Reality is that all players are back except Russell and Harris. There is good potential for Sheppard, El-Amin, Leggett, Walker and Makhel Mitchell to perform well as a unit - older, mature players. Makhi Mitchell is solid off the bench and could challenge for a starting position either in place of Makhel or Walker - good place to be in. Martin could also push for a starting spot
  • If this team can get some early wins vs Bryant, BU, Harvard, FGCU, etc. then they could gain confidence heading into A10 play. The easier OOC schedule could actually help their confidence, teamwork and self-esteem
  • Coaching staff has another year experience and Bozeman could have an impact with his experience and energy. Big men need more coaching - a real improvement opportunity.
  • Maybe some help comes from freshmen, Carey?
  • Pressure for the team to perform this season - 4th year of 5 year contract. Pressure to perform can be a good thing
  • If this team can do well in OOC then fans will get excited and the Ryan Center will fill up for A10 play
Negative notes:
  • Same Coaching staff as last season with 1 exception.
  • Mostly the same players returning - could be good with more experience, could be not so good since they finished (10-15)

I think odds are we will either make the NCAA Tournament or come very close to it - so decision to extend could be rather obvious

Other possibility is that we have an underachieving season that will result in poor fan turnout. Decision for Thorr will be made easy.

I think those are the two possibilities - my guess is by March the path forward will be clear.
Ramster, I understand where you are coming from and agree with many of your points.

As you know, I am taking the positive approach and feel that Thorr will see enough improvement in the team's performance this season to warrant retaining Cox and a probable short term extension.

It should be a fun and competitive season in the A10 this year.
Aside from the top teams mentioned, I also expect teams not named Fordham and LaSalle to give us all we can handle.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago ...
I am not sure what the "usual pundits" are expecting this season in order to be surprised or consider our program heading in the right direction.
Bingo!!!!! With limited bad luck, I'm hoping for a top 4 A10 finish this season. Finishing even 3rd will most likely not be good enough to make the NCAAT. The A10 will get no love.

I detect a little more positivity on this board. GO RHODY!!!
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago ...
Bingo!!!!! With limited bad luck, I'm hoping for a top 4 A10 finish this season. Finishing even 3rd will most likely not be good enough to make the NCAAT. The A10 will get no love.

I detect a little more positivity on this board. GO RHODY!!!
I wouldn't be surprised if the A!0 gets 3 or 4 teams in the NCAAT, I feel the conference is that strong and has good balance.
Maybe the committee learned their lesson last season with the disappointment of the B10 (with those 9 bids) in post season play.
The Mid-Majors need to get more respect, but then again it's all about TV ratings and $.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

With our OOC schedule, we will be doing no favors for the A10.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago With our OOC schedule, we will be doing no favors for the A10.
Very curious to see who we add to fill the last remaining spot.
I know it will be difficult but we really can't afford any bad losses and hopefully get some surprising wins.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

At this time, what will be good wins and bad wins are only projections on how well our opponents play and how well we play against them. We should play in state D1 teams regularly and we are. There are none of the other perennially bad OOC opponents on the schedule and no marquis schools either.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago At this time, what will be good wins and bad wins are only projections on how well our opponents play and how well we play against them. We should play in state D1 teams regularly and we are. There are none of the other perennially bad OOC opponents on the schedule and no marquis schools either.
So you are saying our schedule sucks? I agree.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago At this time, what will be good wins and bad wins are only projections on how well our opponents play and how well we play against them. We should play in state D1 teams regularly and we are. There are none of the other perennially bad OOC opponents on the schedule and no marquis schools either.
No.
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
No.
So you mean we have a chance of being ranked OOC? That's great.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Good read on the A10 top ranked Bonnies.
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go ... ion%3Dtrue
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago ...

So you mean we have a chance of being ranked OOC? That's great.
outrageous extrapolation. If you are happy with a 0.0001% chance, I'm pleased with your optimism. GO RHODY!!!
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

13 OOC Games puts them at the 31 game limit

Richmond Men's Basketball 2021-22 Non-Conference Schedule
November 9 vs NC Central
November 12 vs Utah State (Annapolis, Md.)
November 16 vs Georgia State
November 20 at Drake
November 22 vs Hofstra
November 25 vs Maryland (Nassau, Bahamas)
November 27 vs Louisville/Mississippi St (Nassau, Bahamas)
December 1 at Wofford
December 5 at Northern Iowa
December 11 vs Toledo
December 17 vs NC State (Charlotte, N.C.)
December 19 vs Old Dominion
December 22 vs Bucknell
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Mitchell Twins looking great training on their IG story. Expect a big season from both!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

13 OOC Games puts them at the 31 game limit

Richmond Men's Basketball 2021-22 Non-Conference Schedule
November 9 vs NC Central
November 12 vs Utah State (Annapolis, Md.)
November 16 vs Georgia State
November 20 at Drake
November 22 vs Hofstra
November 25 vs Maryland (Nassau, Bahamas)
November 27 vs Louisville/Mississippi St (Nassau, Bahamas)
December 1 at Wofford
December 5 at Northern Iowa
December 11 vs Toledo
December 17 vs NC State (Charlotte, N.C.)
December 19 vs Old Dominion
December 22 vs Bucknell
Awesome OOC schedule
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

College Madness has just listed another A-10 team on its Top 144 countdown. Davidson comes in at #85 nationally and is predicted to finish 5th in the A-10. Expected to make the NIT field. Joins URI at #121 and Dayton at #102 on their top 144 listing. Would think the four remaining A-10 teams are St Bonaventure, Richmond, VCU, and St Louis.

Davidson Link:
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/19704
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Top 25 Frontcourts 21-22

https://bustingbrackets.com/2021/08/16/ ... 22-season/

Some teams listed of interest:
Bonnies - Honorable mention
Maryland - #25
Richmond - #24
UConn - #13
Texas - #1
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI is rarely over-rated in these pre-season polls. I believe that we will exceed expectations. GO RHody!
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I had that for dinner last night.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ramulous wrote: 2 years ago I had that for dinner last night.
stew durando?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Idk if this was posted anywhere but I just saw it.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

That would be in time for the A10 schedule. Great news for VCU and the backcourt would have developed depth in their OOC schedule.

Pretty quick heal for that type of injury.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

10 A10 Players among the Top 100 Mid Major 2021-22 Players and 6 A10 Players among the 43 Honorable Mention

St Bonaventure fares the best with 4 players, followed by Richmond with 3 players, VCU and Dayton with 2 players

HM = Honorable Mention

St Bonaventure
#9 Kyle Lofton
#12 Osun Osunniyi
HM-Dom Welch
HM-Jaren Holmes

Richmond
#10 Jacob Gilyard
#41 Grant Golden
#97 Tyler Burton

VCU
#39 Marcus Tsohonis
HM-Jamir Watkins

Dayton
#14 Toumani Camara
HM-Mustapha Amzil

Teams with 1 representative:
#34 Javonte Perkins - Saint Louis
#44 Jordan Hall - St Joseph's
#84 Hyunjung Lee - Davidson
HM-Josh Oduro - George Mason
HM-Noah Fernandes - UMASS

Teams with no representatives:
Fordham
LaSalle
George Washington
Duquesne
URI

http://makingthemadness.com/sean02mtms- ... 21-season/
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Interesting tweet from Jon Rothstein

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We are not a mid major ?? What the heck are we ??