1/3 | Saint Joseph’s | 4:30PM (NBCSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/3 | Saint Joseph’s | 4:30PM (NBCSN)

Unread post by section(105) »

........I gots nothing.......out
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

The joke is where is the NCAAT? Joke my ass. This team is a mess.
Well there wasn’t a tourney last year and we’re less than 50% through the season. Might help to stop being so emotional
Lol, I told you people here aren’t rational. My mother always warned me against arguing with fools...and here I am.
Didn't I tell you to stay out of game threads?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not happy, but sure glad we won.
Overall they played much smarter than us. We struggled against their zone and our shooting has been very inconsistent, more like terrible.
We didn't play good enough defense to win, but lucky we pulled it out.
Cox and the players need to step up their game if we want to be successful.
We live and die by Fatts, today we lived.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago

You truly are missing the plot. It is not ok to shit on any student athlete.

For as hard as I am on a underwhelming player of the team, plenty of people have shit on one of the all time great players in URI history this season and said he should get benched.

I wonder if all of the posters will give Fatts his due after that game.

I doubt it, but to each is own.
LMAO Fatts literally shot 5-14 from the floor but please keep sugarcoating the majority of his performance today.
Also 8 rebounds, 8 assists and 10/10 on the line...
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Well there wasn’t a tourney last year and we’re less than 50% through the season. Might help to stop being so emotional
Lol, I told you people here aren’t rational. My mother always warned me against arguing with fools...and here I am.
Didn't I tell you to stay out of game threads?
Just look in the mirror. You shouldn’t be proud if that’s your excuse.
Last edited by DC_Rams 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

For as hard as I am on a underwhelming player of the team, plenty of people have shit on one of the all time great players in URI history this season and said he should get benched.

LMAO Fatts literally shot 5-14 from the floor but please keep sugarcoating the majority of his performance today.

Did Fatts strip Funk and go coast to coast to take the lead? Did he then make another shot minutes later to take the lead? Did he them make 3 FTs to send the game to OT with 4.7 seconds left?

Did he then make all his FTs and shots in OT?

Yes and yes and yes and yes.

But keep defending talentless players and shitting on one of the all time great players in URI history.
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We’re all on the same team fellas. Most players have digressed, and it’s looking like a coaching issue. Is what it is and Cox knows he needs to improve. I’m not letting the rest of the staff off the hook either since they do the developing. Light a fire under their ass!
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago This team is horrible. We should have blown out an undermanned St. Joe's and instead lucked into a win. The sooner we move on from Cox the better, we will never be a successful program with him as our head coach
Do you think the next coach will have special powers to make layups for his players? We should hope so!!
Ah yes, the Jim Baron, "I told my guys to make the buckets but they didn't listen to me" defense. Always a classic
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Did Fatts strip Funk and go coast to coast to take the lead? Did he then make another shot minutes later to take the lead? Did he them make 3 FTs to send the game to OT with 4.7 seconds left?

Did he then make all his FTs and shots in OT?

Yes and yes and yes and yes.

But keep defending talentless players and shitting on one of the all time great players in URI history.
How am I "shitting on him"? You realize how many shots he wasted today that could've been passed to a better shooter?
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I think Billy Lange is going to be a very good coach in this league, I’ve seen St Joe’s play a few times this year and he gets every ounce of grit from his players, once he has players they’ll be a tough out.
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Tied for first in the a10 right now
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Fatts had 20 points, 8 rebounds, 8 assists, 5 steals.

Yet people will shit on him this game yet defend others players for “trying hard and giving it their best.”

Unbelievable.
Go Rhody
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Fatts is usually clutch at the FT line. I wouldn’t have wanted anyone else on this team there at the end of regulation.

I was also thrilled in OT when Fatts passed up the three and dribbled inside the zone a few steps and nailed the jumper. He needs to do that much more often. Make shots in other ways, then work your way back to the three point line.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago This team is horrible. We should have blown out an undermanned St. Joe's and instead lucked into a win. The sooner we move on from Cox the better, we will never be a successful program with him as our head coach
Do you think the next coach will have special powers to make layups for his players? We should hope so!!
Ah yes, the Jim Baron, "I told my guys to make the buckets but they didn't listen to me" defense. Always a classic
Cox isn’t saying that I am. I’d give any coach the same benefit of the doubt for a team with 8 new faces. People here somehow thought Cox would make a 75% new roster gel with no offseason? I’ve said it before, those folks are all living in a fantasy land
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Urifan91 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts is usually clutch at the FT line. I wouldn’t have wanted anyone else on this team there at the end of regulation.

I was also thrilled in OT when Fatts passed up the three and dribbled inside the zone a few steps and nailed the jumper. He needs to do that much more often. Make shots in other ways, then work your way back to the three point line.
Make shots in other ways, then work your way back to the three point line.
This is exactly what I want more from him.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Cox isn’t saying that I am. I’d give any coach the same benefit of the doubt for a team with 8 new faces. People here somehow thought Cox would make a 75% new roster gel with no offseason? I’ve said it before, those folks are all living in a fantasy land
Kingston, I really respect your honest, deliberate and respective responses. I really don’t understand how folks can’t comprehend what this TEAM is up against.
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Rhody Sody wrote: 3 years ago Tied for first in the a10 right now
That’s all that matters LETS GOOO.

Doesn’t matter who it’s against, how it happens, how ugly, how lucky or who contributes its win on to the next
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

We need to shorten the rotation and/or have a few groups of 2-3 guys that get a lot of run together.

Good to somehow avoid the loss, but this team has a lot of growing to do. I really like Mitchell - he gives us a true post up big with elite size that we haven’t had in so long.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Kingston, I really respect your honest, deliberate and respective responses. I really don’t understand how folks can’t comprehend what this TEAM is up against.
Huh? What are they "up against"? this "team", brought together cause all recruits transferred out, are playing like crap. Hope it changes.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Huh? What are they "up against"? this "team", brought together cause all recruits transferred out, are playing like crap. Hope it changes.
Saint Joe's was missing 2 STARTERS and was 0-6 before this loss. It's disgusting how people are ok with this at all. Idc that Fatts played hero. Mitchell carried them for most of the game.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Up against a short off season, COVID limited schedule and gelling this many transfers
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

A lot of room for improvement with this team, but I’ll take the win no matter how close.

The trend this year is they play to their competition. Played ASU tough, beat SHU, played 10x better in 2nd half vs Wisconsin...but on the flipped side lost to BC and a nail biter with st Joe’s.

Folks, it’s gonna be a roller coaster all season
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Saint Joe's was missing 2 STARTERS and was 0-6 before this loss. It's disgusting how people are ok with this at all. Idc that Fatts played hero. Mitchell carried them for most of the game.
I think this is where the disconnect is. I don’t think people are happy with this at all. We’re okay with knowing this season would have a lot of ups and downs. Painful at many times. But the goal is they’re a lot better by the end of the season than the beginning

If these issues are still the same this time next year? Different story
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Up against a short off season, COVID limited schedule and gelling this many transfers
Seems our schedule has been fine and we have transfers cause players left in droves. How many transfers do we have? I can't even count them.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Cox doesn't get a pass for his own poor player retention. He owns this mess
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

We need to play offense/ defense with DJ.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hasn’t been brought up, but Makhel Mitchell is coming into his own.

Looked very very good today and can only think he gets better as the year goes on with minimal competition for minutes.
Go Rhody
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

A typical URI / St. Joes game . It is a tugh game. Rhody again with way too many unforced turnovers which seems to be their M.O. for this year. I can't wait until the season when they are a good outside shooting team . Haven't really had a knock down shooter since Jimmy Baron . They were so fortunate to win this game and it came down to Russell making all of his fts including the ones to force overtime. he also hit a big shot late in regulation. Big shot from DJ Johnson and the layup by Carey to begin overtime got them off to a good start in overtime . I thought it was over when they were down 3 with 12 seconds left. Thank you Hawks for fouling Fatts.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

It all happened in the middle of a pandemic. Kids were all at home. No real opportunity to see them on campus. This year is an anomaly in more ways than one.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

BleedBlue87 wrote: 3 years ago

It all happened in the middle of a pandemic. Kids were all at home. No real opportunity to see them on campus. This year is an anomaly in more ways than one.
That would be a real thing if it only happened during the pandemic. It's been a problem all along however
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think this is where the disconnect is. I don’t think people are happy with this at all. We’re okay with knowing this season would have a lot of ups and downs. Painful at many times. But the goal is they’re a lot better by the end of the season than the beginning

LOL...if he has a whole new roster, does he get another pass?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Tell that to this guy

Northern Illinois just fired basketball coach Mark Montgomery. He'd had a long run there; was just 1-7 this season.
12:12 PM · Jan 3, 2021
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Tell that to this guy

Northern Illinois just fired basketball coach Mark Montgomery. He'd had a long run there; was just 1-7 this season.
Fire Cox, hire Blue Ram.

We’ll go into a COVID pause within 17 minutes of his hiring because it’s “just like the flu” and won’t play another game for the rest of the season.
Go Rhody
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

The most troubling thing to me from a coaching standpoint is that they had no play drawn up down three at the end of regulation. There’s enough time do do something better in 8.9 seconds than Fatts speeding down the right side of the court with his teammates trailing him and on the other side of the court. I thought for sure Fatts was going to drive, draw a couple of defenders and dish to an open shooter. It may not have been a high percentage shot, but it would have been better than a Fatts heave from where he was fouled.
Part of practice should be used to run plays for this situation.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Alright let's get one of the next two. If can get two it's a whole new season. Still think talent is there. Cox needs to have these kids watch the game film and chastise the F out of them! All of them including Fatts never should of been his close! Next!

GO RHODY!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Hasn’t been brought up, but Makhel Mitchell is coming into his own.

Looked very very good today and can only think he gets better as the year goes on with minimal competition for minutes.
Just don't want him at the foul line in crunch time, that's why he was out at the end.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Urifan91 wrote: 3 years ago
URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago DJ can’t play defense. Why the hell is he in there at the end? This is downright shitty coaching. Disgusted.
100 percent agree
Hit a couple big threes but Walker is better on defense.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

No. Should we also talk about what happens if we win the National Championship? Or any other fun hypotheticals you want to run through?
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Tell that to this guy

He was 124-170 over 10 years there so it's not quite apples to apples here.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago The most troubling thing to me from a coaching standpoint is that they had no play drawn up down three at the end of regulation. There’s enough time do do something better in 8.9 seconds than Fatts speeding down the right side of the court with his teammates trailing him and on the other side of the court. I thought for sure Fatts was going to drive, draw a couple of defenders and dish to an open shooter. It may not have been a high percentage shot, but it would have been better than a Fatts heave from where he was fouled.
Part of practice should be used to run plays for this situation.
A 'play'? What's that?
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Roz wrote: 3 years ago
URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago DJ can’t play defense. Why the hell is he in there at the end? This is downright shitty coaching. Disgusted.
100 percent agree
Totally disagree DJ needs to be on the floor. Maybe with Walker. Who did play D?

GO RHODY!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

No. Should we also talk about what happens if we win the National Championship? Or any other fun hypotheticals you want to run through?
Yeah, I guess you're right.. winning the national championship is just as likely as half the roster turning over. Silly me.
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Roz wrote: 3 years ago
100 percent agree
Yes he did. DJ has a real nice stroke and can definitely shoot the three. But I do not understand why he was in for Walker down the stretch in regulation. Walker is a better defender and rebounder and more experienced.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

We can't score. No DJ? ok? Put Walker in for someone else if want.

GO RHODY!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Fatts "literally" shot 10 for 10 from the line, including 3 shots with 4 seconds left. Fatts "literally" had 8 rebounds. Fatts "literally" had 8 assists. Fatts "literally" had 5 steals. Fatts "literally" played 39 minutes. Fatts "literally" won us the game.

You are "literally" an ignoramus.
Last edited by PeteRI 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Fatts literally shot 5-14. Love Fatts but he's better than that!! Hopefully his end of the game heroics woke him the F up for the rest of the season! URI needs him!

GO RHODY!
Last edited by brady1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That game reminded me of my first day doing my job in education virtually- it was ugly but no one died and we got through it, now we drink to forget.

I’m trying to just take whatever college basketball can give me this season, but that was brutal. It should never have been that close. I know there are new players, some inexperienced ones and all that, but aren’t they going on three months of practice and ten games with no interruptions?
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

brady1 wrote: 3 years ago We can't score. No DJ? ok? Put Walker in for someone else if want.

GO RHODY!
We can’t score so need rebounders.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

brady1 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts literally shot 5-14. Love Fatts but he's better than that!! Hopefully his end of the game heroics woke him the F up for the rest of the season! URI needs him!

GO RHODY!
You know he’s playing hurt, right?
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

DJ can score! Take someone else out for Walker.

GO RHODY!