2/15 | Saint Joe’s | 12:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: 2/15 | Saint Joe’s | 12:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by steviep123 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
Section104 wrote: 4 years ago Didn’t watch the game in its entirety. Can someone speak to Jacob’s box score - looked like a solid game?
Very solid! Scored all his points in the second half when he got a little more run. Had a very nice dunk on a great pass from Cyril. I think a nice put back or two as well. It was nice to see him bounce back after all the attention on him for the Dayton game.
He had 2 nice moves leading to layups. Hint of the future?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
Section104 wrote: 4 years ago Didn’t watch the game in its entirety. Can someone speak to Jacob’s box score - looked like a solid game?
Very solid! Scored all his points in the second half when he got a little more run. Had a very nice dunk on a great pass from Cyril. I think a nice put back or two as well. It was nice to see him bounce back after all the attention on him for the Dayton game.
......and corner three, I recall......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Looks like there was a possible alley oop that he never jumped for/didn't quite work out, but I DO hope some of those are on the radar....
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I try to arrive to games 45mins to an hour before. Today was the one game I had a work appointment right before that I could not miss. I got to the game with a few minutes to spare before the first half ended (got a tiny bit of agita for not being able to make it at all). Really was shocked with the lack of student turnout. I get it... last night was VD, have some “hair of the dog“ and get to the game, Ruckus. I didn’t even have a coffee or breakfast before getting to the game. Needless to say I crashed for a nice nappy nap when I got home after the game.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Looks like there was a possible alley oop that he never jumped for/didn't quite work out, but I DO hope some of those are on the radar....
He only played 11 minutes and scored a very fast 12 points! 4-5 FG, 1-2 3P, 3-4 FT
He had two big FTs with 15 seconds left in the game to make it an 18 point win :-) making Reef and myself happy
Jacob was very active and looked to me the best 11 minutes he has played.
He had a play where he went very high to block a 3 point shot right in front of the St Joseph's bench and there was a lot of concern the way he landed. Fortunately he did not hit his head but he was moving his neck around. I think he was scared more than anything, but amazingly he stayed in the game - kid is a real gamer
Credit to the 2 St Joseph's players on the bench who reached out to try to keep Jacob's head from hitting the floor or bench chairs. They did not back away and resist helping.

In the second half we really ramped up the defense. The big men went crazy getting 9 blocked shots. 3 by Langevine, 1 by Dowtin but 5 by the bench who just seemed to go nuts on the St Joe players inside - Walker and Long with 2 blocks each, Toppin with 1 block and they were very active
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, twice Jacob got the ball at the high post and made nice moves to the basket going to the right, scoring both times. Teams will see this on film and start making him go left. That's something he'll have to work on in the off season.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taped the game so I could rewatch it

Most impressed by Jeff Dowtin in the past game interview
He was asked specifically about his 8 assists and no turnovers and was he happy with that?

Jeff told the interviewer "no". Jeff said "I really wanted 10 assists because I had 6 assists at halftime". He went on to try to explain why he was not able to get the 10 as he wanted

Shows the game mentality and the unselfish nature of Jeff and what makes him such a great point guard and overall player, plus why David Cox keeps him in the game 37 minutes or more per game

Dowtin was once again very efficient 6-11 FG, 2-3 on 3Ps, 7 rebounds, game high 8 assists, 1 block, a game high 4 steals, 0 Turnovers, for 14 points.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Yes, twice Jacob got the ball at the high post and made nice moves to the basket going to the right, scoring both times. Teams will see this on film and start making him go left. That's something he'll have to work on in the off season.
Before those he passed down low to Langevine who passed it back as Toppin was cutting for a dunk.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

My seats didn’t have a great angle on it, so maybe I’m wrong, but I think Toppin didn’t jump for it because Fatts threw it 20 feet over his head and behind him. He had the look of a right fielder when Bonds would hit one 515 feet into McCovey Cove.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

My seats didn’t have a great angle on it, so maybe I’m wrong, but I think Toppin didn’t jump for it because Fatts threw it 20 feet over his head and behind him. He had the look of a right fielder when Bonds would hit one 515 feet into McCovey Cove.
I was trying to be nice, but, yeah, it looked exactly like that. I just really like the idea that it's at least potentially on the menu.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I won’t mind if they try it once a game for the rest of the year.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

NC_Ram wrote: 4 years ago My favorite sports memory is getting to watch Sly & co in Keaney. There is not even a close second. I am sure other generations of fans feel that way about Silk, Tommy, Lamar etc.

Missing out on games with truly special players like Fatts and Jeff may be a regret down the road.

"Remember .... there are YOUR good old days"

Lucky for you. I had Gavin and Chris Scotti. I think we won 13 games...in 4 years.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

EZBuckets wrote: 4 years ago Listen, I’m as upset as ANYONE that the students were a no show today. It makes my job 1000x more difficult and my lack of voice postgame is a testament. Extremely disheartening.

With all that said, the students have been PHENOMENAL this season. They’ve showed up for every single non-break game in force and have given us an edge when we needed it most. After 12 years of doing this, this has been one of, if not the best seasons of Ruckus turnout, period. Only 4-5 years ago, we were lucky to get 1000 to show for 1-2 big games a year.

While criticism is valid, I don’t see a reason to pile on & some of the tweets I’ve been tagged in has been a bit much. There’s a bunch of reasons the turnout probably wasn’t great today, but I consider it the exception and not the rule. (Unless it happens again)
This preach. You are in the building every night as you mentioned the student turn out has been great this year.. No reason for people to keep harping on this but it gives people something else to bitch about so this works. Noon start for a crappy team, I will give them a mulligan on this one. I will focus on the positive and give props to the rest of the fans that showed up. Nice turn out by them. Have no doubt the students will be out on force for the last two games of the year.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
NC_Ram wrote: 4 years ago My favorite sports memory is getting to watch Sly & co in Keaney. There is not even a close second. I am sure other generations of fans feel that way about Silk, Tommy, Lamar etc.

Missing out on games with truly special players like Fatts and Jeff may be a regret down the road.

"Remember .... there are YOUR good old days"

Lucky for you. I had Gavin and Chris Scotti. I think we won 13 games...in 4 years.
If you graduated in 1986 you also had Garrick, Owens, Evans, Kenny Green and Bonzi Colson...they were just still learning how to win. I remember the Scotti Brothers, Bryan Mitchell, and Todd Bozeman. I always had a really good seat in the 84-86 seasons.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

4Diffs wrote: 4 years ago
EZBuckets wrote: 4 years ago Listen, I’m as upset as ANYONE that the students were a no show today. It makes my job 1000x more difficult and my lack of voice postgame is a testament. Extremely disheartening.

With all that said, the students have been PHENOMENAL this season. They’ve showed up for every single non-break game in force and have given us an edge when we needed it most. After 12 years of doing this, this has been one of, if not the best seasons of Ruckus turnout, period. Only 4-5 years ago, we were lucky to get 1000 to show for 1-2 big games a year.

While criticism is valid, I don’t see a reason to pile on & some of the tweets I’ve been tagged in has been a bit much. There’s a bunch of reasons the turnout probably wasn’t great today, but I consider it the exception and not the rule. (Unless it happens again)
This preach. You are in the building every night as you mentioned the student turn out has been great this year.. No reason for people to keep harping on this but it gives people something else to bitch about so this works. Noon start for a crappy team, I will give them a mulligan on this one. I will focus on the positive and give props to the rest of the fans that showed up. Nice turn out by them. Have no doubt the students will be out on force for the last two games of the year.
I agree. The last 2 home games should be "complete sellouts", meaning students will pack their section and I'm really looking forward to both of them.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

It was eerie. Most of the seats were filled - even the 300s - and it looked close to a sellout. Then you looked at the student section which was almost empty. As a result it was the quietest 6700+ crowd I ever heard. Can't blame me and Blue Man. We were as loud as always. :mrgreen:
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

I agree with all the comments on the students but I will call out anyone who bitches about how they can’t make the 9:00 midweek start for Dayton in a couple of weeks!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Ramtastico wrote: 4 years ago I agree with all the comments on the students but I will call out anyone who bitches about how they can’t make the 9:00 midweek start for Dayton in a couple of weeks!
That will be the next complaint.

I get it. We have fans who travel FAR, 1+ each way and a 9pm start on a weeknight doesn’t help. I am someone who lives 8 miles away, my situation is a little different and it will most likely suck getting up at 6-6:15 the next day. That being said, anyone there that night has to be LOUD. Let’s be sure we give our three seniors a proper send off.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Ramtastico wrote: 4 years ago I agree with all the comments on the students but I will call out anyone who bitches about how they can’t make the 9:00 midweek start for Dayton in a couple of weeks!
.......being senior nite and all.......and we elder season ticket holders better get there(even tho it is past my bed time)and those in FL, get those tickets in the hands of people......this a big senior nite nite as it ushers out two classy historical four year Rhody players......and a supporting walk-on......no excuses for anything less than buzz packed......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I know we don’t give kudos to Refs often, but I thought this was a well officiated game. The refs let both teams play and decide the game for themselves. There will always be calls that we disagree with, but that’s because were fans. I thought these guys did a nice job yesterday.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago I know we don’t give kudos to Refs often, but I thought this was a well officiated game. The refs let both teams play and decide the game for themselves. There will always be calls that we disagree with, but that’s because were fans. I thought these guys did a nice job yesterday.
I'm glad you posted this. I had no problems with the calls yesterday.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It was really promising to see Jacob execute 2-3 times from the foul line. Catch, pivot, rip through and drive right. With his athleticism it doesn’t need to be complex, get to your strong hand and elevate.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago I know we don’t give kudos to Refs often, but I thought this was a well officiated game. The refs let both teams play and decide the game for themselves. There will always be calls that we disagree with, but that’s because were fans. I thought these guys did a nice job yesterday.
Unlike many games, I hardly noticed the refs yesterday. They did not make themselves a big part of the game. Game was called fairly even with 17 fouls called on the Hawks and 14 on URI. SJU had 15 free throw attempts while Rhody had 14. No one fouled out. While not a lot of fouls were called, play did not get especially chippy. Refs seemed to have good control throughout.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
Unlike many games, I hardly noticed the refs yesterday. They did not make themselves a big part of the game. Game was called fairly even with 17 fouls called on the Hawks and 14 on URI. SJU had 15 free throw attempts while Rhody had 14. No one fouled out. While not a lot of fouls were called, play did not get especially chippy. Refs seemed to have good control throughout.
I have respect for refs that let them play. That Dayton game was hard to watch not only because we couldn’t shoot but because the game kept stopping.