Walker Availability

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Walker Availability

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I can see Jeff and Fatts wearing out during conference play. May have to give them some time off; somehow, even if a game or two are risked. I agree we can get thru the OOC with heavy minutes for those two. And Tyrese looks like a classic 3 to me also; don't see him helping much as a playmaking guard.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Tyrese will probably play more at the 2 when Walker becomes available.

Looks like Cox has no confidence in Hammond at this point, especially against better teams.

Can DC get an immediate transfer for 2nd semester, who can walk and chew gum at the same time? Ha ha
Martin has seemed too slow defensively to cover a SG and his ball handling skills are below average for a Guard.
IMO Hammond could be a solid defende at SG this year. He needs more playing time
I agree. From my vantage point on Tuesday night, Nicholls St guards were easily beating Martin off the dribble. You need to be able to play defense to contribute at any position. As for the ball handling, it will be a major issue if the opposing coach decides to press or trap, which is what I would do if Jeff or Fatts were out of the game.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

The key to beating a press is to shred it. We have two elite ball handlers, I believe Rhode Island will defeat any pressure. In my opinion it is viewed as an opportunity by Cox to score a lot of points fast and easy.

Bring it on! Teams will take it off quick when they go down double digits. Then we can rest our guards.

Little doubt either in my mind that a huge point of emphasis in practice (due to Sheppard situation) is rapidly improving Martin handle of the ball against pressure.

Once we get Walker in rotation for depth we’ll be firing on all cylinders. Opposition is denying the high post entry pass in the last two games which will require adjustments in practice. The more we get out in transition the better right now.

It’s still early and we will get a lot better in our sets.

Go Rhody.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I think somebody said this earlier, but I could see his Cox scaling back on Fatts and Jeff’s minutes after the big OOC schedule. DC Rams put it correctly, they’re going to start to fold in Hammond over time. I wouldn’t be too worried about Fatts or Jeff’s minutes, because even if we have decent guards coming off bench, those two are still going to play heavy minutes.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago The key to beating a press is to shred it. We have two elite ball handlers, I believe Rhode Island will defeat any pressure. In my opinion it is viewed as an opportunity by Cox to score a lot of points fast and easy.

Bring it on! Teams will take it off quick when they go down double digits. Then we can rest our guards.

Little doubt either in my mind that a huge point of emphasis in practice (due to Sheppard situation) is rapidly improving Martin handle of the ball against pressure.

Once we get Walker in rotation for depth we’ll be firing on all cylinders. Opposition is denying the high post entry pass in the last two games which will require adjustments in practice. The more we get out in transition the better right now.

It’s still early and we will get a lot better in our sets.

Go Rhody.
I love when people press. I'd just like to see us attack it more. Once that first line of defense is broken, all of a sudden it's a 3 on 2 with the ball in the middle of the floor.. ATTACK! ATTACK!ATTACK!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago I think somebody said this earlier, but I could see his Cox scaling back on Fatts and Jeff’s minutes after the big OOC schedule. DC Rams put it correctly, they’re going to start to fold in Hammond over time. I wouldn’t be too worried about Fatts or Jeff’s minutes, because even if we have decent guards coming off bench, those two are still going to play heavy minutes.
The only time I'll be worried about Fatts/Jeff's minutes is if they get below 36 each per game ;)
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago I think somebody said this earlier, but I could see his Cox scaling back on Fatts and Jeff’s minutes after the big OOC schedule. DC Rams put it correctly, they’re going to start to fold in Hammond over time. I wouldn’t be too worried about Fatts or Jeff’s minutes, because even if we have decent guards coming off bench, those two are still going to play heavy minutes.
I'm not so sure about the scaling back...unless we are up or down by 15+ points or in foul trouble, Fatts and Jeff are playing 35 minutes minimum.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oh yeah definitely what are we saving them for ?? Throw em out there and leave em in
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I think losing Walker for the first semester cost us 2 of our 3 losses. I truly think we win both LSU and WVU with him.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

WVU yes, LSU no.

We really don't know just how much Walker can help us.

How can we? He hasn't played yet. In the absence of any reports from practices...it's the big unknown.

Not having Sheppard might have been the difference yesterday too, especially with Jeff struggling.

Any close loss, questions abound.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody Guy wrote: 4 years ago I think losing Walker for the first semester cost us 2 of our 3 losses. I truly think we win both LSU and WVU with him.
........with guarded optimism, I hope Walker does not try to do to much.....and would like to think he has meshed decently in practice with the core players in the rotation......and just play his game, and we will see exactly what that is......regarding the difference of that many games?.....I dunno,
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I remember listening to an archived interview with Coach Cox earlier this season. Cyril was also on, and he was raving about Walker - how tough he was to face in practice. When it comes to athletics, I tend to place a bit more trust in Cyril's assessment than fat old guys like me ... :ugeek:
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I was trying to think of examples where transfers IMMEDIATELY met the expectations as expressed on this board. I'm only thinking about players who were believed to be difference makers for our program. That said, I'm skeptical about Walker making a significant and immediate impact when he becomes eligible. Players such as Iverson and going back Adingono became good eventually.
NCAAs or Bust!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago I was trying to think of examples where transfers IMMEDIATELY met the expectations as expressed on this board. I'm only thinking about players who were believed to be difference makers for our program. That said, I'm skeptical about Walker making a significant and immediate impact when he becomes eligible. Players such as Iverson and going back Adingono became good eventually.
I was going to say Scott Hazelton, but I didn't realize his junior year was so bizarre. It's really strange to go back and look at some of those Baron rosters - He did a ton of things to handicap himself, but part of it was by playing huge rotations.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Put it like this, Walker is bouncier, can play with his back to the basket and has a HOOK SHOT!

Oh yeah, and a decent mid-range game. He upgrades our roster. He won’t be a day one impact, but after 3/4 games, look out.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

All we need Walker to do is this.

Be a presence defensively.

Rebound well.

Be able to make lay ups.

If he can at least do those things better than Harris does, then we will be a better team!

Hes bound to be able to do that.

So it's likely he can do that and more.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Put it like this, Walker is bouncier, can play with his back to the basket and has a HOOK SHOT!

Oh yeah, and a decent mid-range game. He upgrades our roster. He won’t be a day one impact, but after 3/4 games, look out.

OMG YES HOOK SHOTS PLZ

You'd have thought Cyril had learned about those from BERRY and Hass....
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A review of Walkers Statistics as a Freshman at Georgetown
played 25 games
averaged 7.3 minutes per game
1.8 rpg equates to 10.1 rpg/40 minute game
2-5 on 3P for 40%
14-15 FT for 93%
24-49 FG for 49%
3 blocked shots equates to .7 Blocks/40 minute game
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago A review of Walkers Statistics as a Freshman at Georgetown
played 25 games
2-5 on 3P for 40%
14-15 FT for 93%
24-49 FG for 49%
Since seven minutes a game for 25 games equates to about 175 minutes - or five, six games by a rotation player - I'm not really sure that his rate stats tell us anything about how he'll play here. Especially since I imaging most of his minutes were coming at the beginning of the year and tapered off as the season and competition got better.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago A review of Walkers Statistics as a Freshman at Georgetown
played 25 games
2-5 on 3P for 40%
14-15 FT for 93%
24-49 FG for 49%
Since seven minutes a game for 25 games equates to about 175 minutes - or five, six games by a rotation player - I'm not really sure that his rate stats tell us anything about how he'll play here. Especially since I imaging most of his minutes were coming at the beginning of the year and tapered off as the season and competition got better.
I completely agree with you. But at least these are statistics. I read so many posters here saying Walker was going to be so great I decided to look up his statistics - that is all.

Why do you not question all those who already seem to have penciled in Walker for Harris without any statistical info?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

He can't be any worse than what Harris is giving us.
Go Rhody
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

If he was that good Ewing would have found a way to keep him. Nothing against Walker — that’s how I feel about any transfer.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago If he was that good Ewing would have found a way to keep him. Nothing against Walker — that’s how I feel about any transfer.
You realize he was dismissed from the team because he fought someone (or something like that). I don't think they had a choice.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago If he was that good Ewing would have found a way to keep him. Nothing against Walker — that’s how I feel about any transfer.
Even Stan and Kuran?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He was going to be in GTown’s regular rotation as a Soph.
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am hopeful he is much better than JH and that if he deserves minutes then he gets them
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

On projecting his Fr stats, I also don’t think it is valid at all. He scored 16 points against Alabama A&M and scored a total of 48 points in the other 23 games. He also scored 8 points twice - both against Villanova.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I like the potential of walker. And am excited to see him out there soon. I really like the ability of a high low offensive action with Cyril and walker. With walker in this lineup they win that game on sunday. Offensive rebounds have been our nemesis in the three losses. I wish we had him back for the PC game hahah. I would put money on it by conference play at the latest walker will be pushing for starting minutes.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago I like the potential of walker. And am excited to see him out there soon. I really like the ability of a high low offensive action with Cyril and walker. With walker in this lineup they win that game on sunday. Offensive rebounds have been our nemesis in the three losses. I wish we had him back for the PC game hahah. I would put money on it by conference play at the latest walker will be pushing for starting minutes.
Walker wouldn’t have made us win the game. I just don’t get why we say stuff like this when as Rhody83 mentioned there is way too little of a sample to know what he will contribute. If Dowtin and Tate played a better game than we would have won yesterday. Walker isn’t the difference over a top 25 team. Have you at least seen him play in game action? I think he will be a steady contributor that will get better, but didn’t we all me included think Harris would come in and make an impact.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Yeah I have seen him play in person and harris is coming from high school ball. Antwan played minutes in big east basketball. Completely different situations. Fine take a wait and see approach. I will just take the more optimistic approach. There was numerous possessions on sunday we gave up wide open offensive rebounds for easy put backs. Toppin seemed to be the only one doing anything about it until he picked up fouls. A defensive rebound here or there differently and it's a different ball game that's all I'm saying. Never mind the harris Tate and jeff yes. It's a combination of all those factors obviously.
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Georgetown's James Akinjo and Josh LeBlanc will not be playing for the men's basketball team again this season, per release.

Significant news. - Akinjo is really good. Not sure what’s going on Georgetown, but it’s not good.
Last edited by bkoeppen 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Maybe we should try for him too?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago Georgetown's James Akinjo and Josh LeBlanc will not be playing for the men's basketball team again this season, per release.

Significant news. - Akinjo is really good. Not sure what’s going on Georgetown, but it’s not good.
Justice. Screw Ewing.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Didn’t Akinjo sign a LOI at UConn when Ollie was there and then back out when they hired Dan?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Wow. Georgetown is done
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Transferring
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Didn’t Akinjo sign a LOI at UConn when Ollie was there and then back out when they hired Dan?
Yes. He’s a UConn decommit.

I’ve heard the kid Maclung is a huge issue on that team. Ball hog and all for himself.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Didn’t Akinjo sign a LOI at UConn when Ollie was there and then back out when they hired Dan?

I’ve heard the kid Maclung is a huge issue on that team. Ball hog and all for himself.
I can’t trust a white kid who wears braids. He’s been dead to me ever since he wore that “Iverson who?” t-shirt.

* I fully acknowledge he may have nothing to do with this situation, I just had to hate for a second.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote: 4 years ago

I can’t trust a white kid who wears braids. He’s been dead to me ever since he wore that “Iverson who?” t-shirt.

* I fully acknowledge he may have nothing to do with this situation, I just had to hate for a second.
Umm, what????
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I have no problem when Cox upgrades the talent on the roster. Do we have any scholarships left to award this year? There's your answer.
NCAAs or Bust!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago

Umm, what????
Google "Mac McClung"

He was an instagram star in HS based on his high flying dunks and highlight reel plays. He has worn braids. He's a loud mouth white kid who looks like a total D bag on the court. A good friend of mine has a cousin on the staff, says he is a problem. No clue if it's related to these transfers.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

BEHAVE.PNG
Is it really that difficult?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have zero sympathy for Georgetown. Screw them.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Akinjo does not seem to be involved with the various misdeeds of the Georgetown players, at least according to information that has been publicly available. If he really isn't involved, kind of sucks for him he is being lumped in due to the fact that he is leaving the program at the same time as one of the players that is majorly involved. He seems like a good player, but not sure I see him staying on the east coast since he is originally from California. Normally with Georgetown's usual recruiting base, a transfer out of there could potentially get connected to our staff due to their ties to the area, but this time I don't see it. He was originally committed to UConn, so maybe he does just like this part of country?

I wouldn't touch LeBlanc with what he has going on right now. He isn't from the DC area, either.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow what a mess at Gtown !! Say it ain’t so
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I imagine the next likely step for the three is to go play at Oregon for Dana Altman.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

IIRC, we recruited McClung.