All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I can name three great things about Connecticut off the top of my head. The welcome to Rhode Island sign, the welcome to Massachusetts sign and the welcome to New York sign
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Y’all are so weird :D
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Ace, have you ever driven through Connecticut? I assure you, if you've ever tried to drive from RI to NY or vice versa you would despise the state
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I can name three great things about Connecticut off the top of my head. The welcome to Rhode Island sign, the welcome to Massachusetts sign and the welcome to New York sign
Hey I grew up in CT, you better make that list 4 great things!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I can name three great things about Connecticut off the top of my head. The welcome to Rhode Island sign, the welcome to Massachusetts sign and the welcome to New York sign
Hey I grew up in CT, you better make that list 4 great things!

Grew up in CT and moved to somewhere/anywhere else

We lived in CT for 19 years and did the same thing - altho, RI has been an excellent choice. ;)
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I've lived in CT for 20 years now [due to work], and with retirement looming, am seriously considering a move back to the Ocean State.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’m about to give up my noble work in education and start a full-time search for a private benefactor.

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hurley factor helped that I reckon.....
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ace wrote:I’m about to give up my noble work in education and start a full-time search for a private benefactor.

10+ million of that sum might be needed to honor the contract of former head coach Kevin Ollie.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The UCONN Board must be flipping. They had Precious as a lock. Was counting on an early commit to entice a few other top recruits to join him. This could be a wake up call for Dan if they don’t get him. The kid is thinking what can you do to help me in the NBA. The AAC isn’t the response.
“We will be good when we are good.”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That’s just Adam being Adam. Dude is a click-master! UConn was an early favorite by those who like to predict such things because of Dan’s ties to St. Benedict’s and Kimani. As Precious got more serious about and interested in his own recruitment, things started to open up. I imagine the UConn staff knows where they stand. If Dan was able to get Hassan and EC in his first real recruiting class to URI, I think recruiting will work out at UConn. Kenya and Kimani are very strong assistants.

As for the UConn board? There are idiots on every board. I’ve only gone there a few times, so I’m not sure who to ignore yet. It’s easier on places I’m more familiar with.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Agree. Dan's recruiting will work out just fine.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He has recruited higher than the conference he was in at both his first 2 stops, there is no reason to think that won't continue at Uconn.
Doesn't mean he will win every battle, there is always something more appealing no matter where you are (besides Duke and UK).
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote:The UCONN Board must be flipping. They had Precious as a lock. Was counting on an early commit to entice a few other top recruits to join him. This could be a wake up call for Dan if they don’t get him. The kid is thinking what can you do to help me in the NBA. The AAC isn’t the response.
I think it's a bit extreme to call any recruiting loss in his first recruiting period, before even coaching a game, "a wake up call". He'll be just fine there, and the sooner everyone comes to grips with that and moves on the easier it will be for everyone.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

My comment was more about the crazy immediate expectations of the UCONN Board. I agree Dan will do well. There is an uncertainty in every level you step up in recruiting. Dan has the skills but UCONN is in the AAC and he is recruiting against the top P5 teams in the country with legendary coaches. You read about these recruits talking about Tom Izzo, Calapari etc.

If Dan does miss at the Top 25 recruits, he will adjust quickly and be successful recruiting Top 100 players.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ray Allen on the Ollie situation. Link to full article https://www.nhregister.com/sports/amp/R ... ssion=true
“Kevin’s situation is a stain on the (UConn) family, on the state,” Allen said, shortly after a keynote speech at the Middlesex Chamber of Commerce breakfast meeting at the Red Lion Hotel. “For the most part, everybody I know who went to UConn, we have great pride in the university. It’s an isolated incident that needs to be resolved. Both parties need to come to terms to make the situation go away. We know who Kevin is and what he’s done for the state, and they need to make it right by him.”

Allen believs that Ollie and UConn will come to a resolution in the fight over the money left on Ollie’s contract, which the school doesn’t believe it owes him since he was fired for “just cause.” But both sides must come to a compromise.

“Like anything, it requires both sides to make concessions,” said Allen, on a day that was proclaimed ‘Ray Allen Day’ by Gov. Dannel Malloy. “At the end of the day, regardless of where people stand, when you strike a deal, nobody likes a deal you end up with. But if it’s good for both parties, that’s what you look for.”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

What a mess
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A comment in the article isn’t a positive for the AD:
“I don’t believe Kevin did anything wrong that was detrimental to the university. Everybody knows who he is, what his intentions are. Based on that, let’s figure it out and move forward.”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:What a mess

The UConn Athletic Dept isn't a place where I would want to work. Seems like a bunch of backstabbers with agendas out to protect their own turf. None of them come off looking good be it AD Benedict, President Herbst, former Coach Jim Calhoun, Geno, etc...Seems like the kind of place that Shakespeare would have written about.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This is from last summer, but it’s really good stuff from Kimani Young- about losing his wife and becoming a single dad, dealing with the realities of the coaching profession, and working hard where you’re at.

https://coachspeak.net/be-there-now-by-kimani-young/

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I still don't understand why if Dan wanted to head up a train wreck he isn't at Louisville.....

I truly continue to be befuddled by this move to uConn.....
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, I am a fan who remembers UConn as a huge rival. I still miss playing them. For you younger fans who doesn't understand that, if we stopped playing PC and UMass right now, I'm guessing you might feel the same way in 30 or 40 years about that as we older fans feel about UConn now. It was that big of a rivalry.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Yes, I am a fan who remembers UConn as a huge rival. I still miss playing them. For you younger fans who doesn't understand that, if we stopped playing PC and UMass right now, I'm guessing you might feel the same way in 30 or 40 years about that as we older fans feel about UConn now. It was that big of a rivalry.
If my memory holds out for 30-40 years, I'l be pretty happy, regardless of what's in it! ;)
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

College Sports Madness has UConn pegged as the #94th best team in their top 144 preview. Predicts the team for 7th place in the AAC with it headed for postseason play in the CBI/CIT.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16471
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I’ll be shocked if our name isn’t drawn soon. I’ll say 84-86
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

bigappleram wrote:I’ll be shocked if our name isn’t drawn soon. I’ll say 84-86
I'll be surprised if it is not a bit better than that. Duquesne was projected at #7 in the A10 and their rank is 105 with no A10 teams since. Unless there is a big cluster of A10 teams coming up, I suspect they will choose up #3 or 4 in the conference which would probably put us more in the 60s/70s range.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I would put St Joes, Mason, SLU and Davidson all as better than us, on paper, right now. Basically all of above have a little less question marks than everyone else in the league. The next tier is where I would see us, along with a couple other teams (Umass, Dayton, Richmond). It’s a real crap shoot this season, so many teams loaded with transfers and Freshmen that will be expected to make an impact. As we know first hand, some of them will, some of them won’t. The 19-20 A10 season is gearing up to be a loaded one.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Yes, I am a fan who remembers UConn as a huge rival. I still miss playing them. For you younger fans who doesn't understand that, if we stopped playing PC and UMass right now, I'm guessing you might feel the same way in 30 or 40 years about that as we older fans feel about UConn now. It was that big of a rivalry.
If my memory holds out for 30-40 years, I'l be pretty happy, regardless of what's in it! ;)
What other rivalry could draw 5,000 people to a soccer game on a Saturday morning in November? URI-Leg-humpers games did in the late 1970s.

And the peppermint schnapps flowed freely.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
What other raivalry could draw 5,000 people to a soccer game on a Saturday morning in November? URI-Leg-humpers games did in the late 1970s.

And the peppermint schnapps flowed freely.
I was one of them, watching the great Danny McCrudden.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Given UConn's stance with basketball, I would have no issue if URI stopped playing the Huskies in all sports. Rhody should not allow them to pick and choose which sports they deem URI is worthy of playing them. All or nothing. Screw UConn.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

RF1 wrote:Given UConn's stance with basketball, I would have no issue if URI stopped playing the Huskies in all sports. Rhody should not allow them to pick and choose which sports they deem URI is worthy of playing them. All or nothing. Screw UConn.
Is this a policy you would apply to all schools or only UConn?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
RF1 wrote:Given UConn's stance with basketball, I would have no issue if URI stopped playing the Huskies in all sports. Rhody should not allow them to pick and choose which sports they deem URI is worthy of playing them. All or nothing. Screw UConn.
Is this a policy you would apply to all schools or only UConn?

Only them. They deserve special treatment.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Ace, have you ever driven through Connecticut? I assure you, if you've ever tried to drive from RI to NY or vice versa you would despise the state
Had to endure that Saturday.
Nothing like driving through Connecticut driving 10 miles per hour during a rain storm.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

PeterRamTime wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Ace, have you ever driven through Connecticut? I assure you, if you've ever tried to drive from RI to NY or vice versa you would despise the state
Nothing like driving through Connecticut driving 10 miles per hour during a rain storm.
Connecticut is not so much a state as it is a trap.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

TruePoint wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:
Connecticut is not so much a state as it is a trap.
It has more than earned the name Craptasticut

why do you think half the damn state invades our beaches every weekend
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dan knows how to get his school to spend money.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Rumor has it that in any potential settlement with Kevin Ollie the name of the Champions Center will be the Kevin Ollie Champions Center......instead of dollars......
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

247 had him 100% for UCONN. Committed to Stanford tonight and reclassed to 2018.
https://247sports.com/player/jaiden-delaire-46042670
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ouch
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote:247 had him 100% for UCONN. Committed to Stanford tonight and reclassed to 2018.

Where “100%” equals one guy named Chris who made a prediction last March. Once he was thought to be reclassifying, it was Duke or Stanford. C’mon, now :)
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:247 had him 100% for UCONN. Committed to Stanford tonight and reclassed to 2018.

Where “100%” equals one guy named Chris who made a prediction last March. Once he was thought to be reclassifying, it was Duke or Stanford. C’mon, now :)
My point was the predictions made by the recruiting sites can be meaningless. We experienced that with Jermaine last year.
Dan did offer Jaiden shortly after taking the UCONN job.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DH let him get out of the state of Connecticut!!!

The natives will get restless sooner than later !!

Say it ain't so DH and the UConn Huskies !!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Sweet!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Nothing against UCONN but Jaiden Delaire factored in academics first. His final three schools were Stanford, Vanderbuilt & Yale.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:Sweet!
It really is great. Taking basketball ability and turning that into a chance for a Stanford degree is a wonderful opportunity for the young man.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Sweet!
It really is great. Taking basketball ability and turning that into a chance for a Stanford degree is a wonderful opportunity for the young man.
Agree.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

There will be another Ryan Gomes someday
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I think it's fair to ask: when will Dan get a verbal?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I don’t think UCONN fans are worried. Recruiting status from their message board.

Visits Scheduled
Al-Amir Dawes UV 8 Aug
James Bouknight OV#2 14 Sep
Jalen Gaffney OV#2 21 Sep
Anthony Harris OV#4 ?? Oct

Made Final List
Precious Achiuwa 6 of 8 predictions
Kofi Cockburn Final 12
Rocket Watts Final 8
Isaiah Wong Final 5
Qudus Wahab Final 12

Others
Tre Mitchell
Akok Akok
Tyrese Samuel
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

At URI, most of Dan’s verbals came in the fall after players made their campus visits. Tate was a rare early verbal last year.