2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: 2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by TruePoint »

You’d have to imagine that the organizers are aiming for a B1G or SEC team here. Hopefully they’re successful.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago Is it weird, and is there any cause for concern over the the fact, that the fourth Jamaica team has not been identified yet?
Georgetown formally announced their participation for the 2018 event on May 25th. Central CT didn’t announce until Sept.
Last year’s field was:
Top 4 teams (get two home games before games in Jamaica)
Georgetown
USF
Loyola Marymount
Ohio University

GTown played LMU and USF
USF played Ohio and GTown

Bottom 4 Teams (play two away games before games in Jamaica)
Florida A&M
Central CT
Campbell
Austin Peay

2019 Teams announced
Top 4 Teams so far
LSU
URI
Utah State

Guessing 4th team will be at a level of Ohio U or LMU.

I believe the A10 released its league schedule in June last year and URI announced its final schedule in early Sept.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago You’d have to imagine that the organizers are aiming for a B1G or SEC team here. Hopefully they’re successful.
I don’t think so. The top two teams will most likely be LSU and URI.
This event is only going into its 3rd year
2017 - Florida State, Colorado State, Tulane & Fordham
2018 - GTown, USF, LMU & Ohio U
2019 - LSU, URI, Utah State & ???
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago You’d have to imagine that the organizers are aiming for a B1G or SEC team here. Hopefully they’re successful.
With LSU in the field, I doubt we will see a 2nd team from the SEC. Tournaments typically only have a single team from leagues.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
LSU and Utah State, coming off 2018-19 national rankings and NCAA touranment bids, will be more highly rated than URI.

2019 already has the best tournament field since its inception with just three host teams announced so far.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
With LSU in the field, I doubt we will see a 2nd team from the SEC. Tournaments typically only have a single team from leagues.
Right. The 4th team won’t be from the SEC. I wasn’t thinking about the rest of the current field.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Notable teams not yet scheduled in a tournament -- BC, DePaul, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio St., Oregon St., Rutgers, SMU, and Tulsa.

Top 100 mid-majors who aren't scheduled yet -- Belmont, East Tennessee St., Furman, Hofstra, Lipscomb, Murray St., Northeastern, Northern Kentucky, San Diego, San Francisco, South Dakota St., St. Mary's, Toledo, UC-Irvine, UNC-Greensboro, & Wofford.

*Factors in conference eligibility
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago Notable teams not yet scheduled in a tournament -- BC, DePaul, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio St., Oregon St., Rutgers, SMU, and Tulsa.

Top 100 mid-majors who aren't scheduled yet -- Belmont, East Tennessee St., Furman, Hofstra, Lipscomb, Murray St., Northeastern, Northern Kentucky, San Diego, San Francisco, South Dakota St., St. Mary's, Toledo, UC-Irvine, UNC-Greensboro, & Wofford.

I would expect one of the mid majors above.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

LSU and Utah State, coming off 2018-19 national rankings and NCAA touranment bids, will be more highly rated than URI.

2019 already has the best tournament field since its inception with just three host teams announced so far.
I agree Utah State and LSU are the top two teams in the tourney. URI the third and decent team from a mid major will be the fourth. Hopefully we get to play both Utah State and LSU. Big boost to strength of schedule.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago Notable teams not yet scheduled in a tournament -- BC, DePaul, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio St., Oregon St., Rutgers, SMU, and Tulsa.

I would expect one of the mid majors above.
RamStock wrote: 5 years ago I agree Utah State and LSU are the top two teams in the tourney. URI the third and decent team from a mid major will be the fourth. Hopefully we get to play both Utah State and LSU. Big boost to strength of schedule.

Given that Siena has not as yet been made one of the host teams, I still have some hope the fourth team might not be a mid major. There are very few mid majors that draw better at home than the Siena Saints.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago

I agree Utah State and LSU are the top two teams in the tourney. URI the third and decent team from a mid major will be the fourth. Hopefully we get to play both Utah State and LSU. Big boost to strength of schedule.
LSU and Utah State will play each other (assuming this is a round robin event). In the previous years the top two teams played each other. URI will play either LSU or Utah State (probably LSU) and the 4th host team.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

North Texas as the 4th team for the Jamaica Classic.

Gross.
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago North Texas as the 4th team for the Jamaica Classic.

Gross.
If it is North Texas out of CUSA, they really weren't all that different than Rhody last season. Finished 21-12 with an NET rank of #147 (URI was 18-15 and #138). Still a better team than ALL THREE opponents (Bucknell, Hawaii, and Charlotte) URI faced last year in the Diamond Head Classic.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Quickly looked at them- They were off to a decent season then dropped 8 of their last 9. Also, they beat Hawaii- we didn't
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That's a Baron type collapse!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

North Texas was extremely good to start the year. They dealt with big time injuries to their best players in the middle of the conference play. The faltered down the stretch run due to these injuries and when the best players came back they did not play up to what they were in the beginning of the year. I like North texas actually just think they had a tough year last year. They only lose two seniors from their team who were definitely contributing players. But imo their best players are still there and they add a washington grad transfer deng geu who is a skilled 6 foot 8 guy. I would not be dissappointed with this game.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

What kind of shape is LSU going to be in? Will they have a coach? Will players transfer rather than play for a new coach or go through NCAA penalties?

Wait, scratch the part about penalties. Obvious nepotism hire Dan Gavitt has one job -- pacify the cartel.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The 4th teams in this Tournament have not been so good the first two years of this Tournament
I was beginning to think Siena might be the 4th team so happy it’s UNT instead

NET last year
LSU - 16
Utah State - 31
URI - 138
North Texas - 147

Siena was 255 last season - a far cry from the top 4 teams
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

N Texas is the level I expected

The event is only going into its 3rd year
2019 - LSU, Utah State, URI & N Texas
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Another P5 league goes to a 20 game league schedule:

It will join the Big Ten (2018-19) and ACC (2019-20). These three leagues have 41 members which with two more conference games translates to 82 less OOC games these P5 teams will play.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Another P5 league goes to a 20 game league schedule:

It will join the Big Ten (2018-19) and ACC (2019-20). These leagues have 41 members which with two more conference games translates to 82 less OOC games these P5 teams will play.
Good thing the NCAA makes the Cartel play non-conference road games.

ATP, does this platform have a sarcasm font?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Sarcasm

It’s the Fantasy font. I think it’s just dandy.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 5 years ago

It will join the Big Ten (2018-19) and ACC (2019-20). These leagues have 41 members which with two more conference games translates to 82 less OOC games these P5 teams will play.

Better!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago Sarcasm

It’s the Fantasy font. I think it’s just dandy.
Please don’t tell me KB has the functionality to use Comic Sans. Worst font and makes people look like they’re talking in cartoon.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Comic Sans doesn't actually render if selected, probably because it's an old font not licensed for use in all modern browsers.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Or the non-cartel teams just get more creative with their scheduling, but hey, let’s just do the same because it’s working so well...
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

How can non cartel schools get more creative when cartel schools won't play them?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago How can non cartel schools get more creative when cartel schools won't play them?
The top mid majors can schedule more games against each other. There was discussion a year ago between mid major conferences about having a flexible schedule so the top 3 or 4 preseason teams from each conference play each other each year.

Mid majors can also agree to neutral & away against P5 (like WV) or 2 for 1 (P5 gets 2 home).

Also get in a top Nov/Dec tournament every year with several P5 opponents.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago How can non cartel schools get more creative when cartel schools won't play them?
You give me a napkin and I’ll give you a scheduling method. I’ve listed here before what I believe is creative and there are different degrees of creative. There is what the CUSA did with their conference schedule. There is also the RJ special where four conferences pair together, and after game 8, 12, and 16 you would play the same ranked teams in another conference. So if you were the #1 A10 team, you’d play the #1 MVC team at that time. That’s more complicated but the real-time nature of it should give teams the ability to play comparable quality opponents.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
You give me a napkin and I’ll give you a scheduling method. I’ve listed here before what I believe is creative and there are different degrees of creative. There is what the CUSA did with their conference schedule. There is also the RJ special where four conferences pair together, and after game 8, 12, and 16 you would play the same ranked teams in another conference. So if you were the #1 A10 team, you’d play the #1 MVC team at that time. That’s more complicated but the real-time nature of it should give teams the ability to play comparable quality opponents.

Still will not deliver anywhere near the benefit of playing cartel teams. Furthermore, the added conference games only further their (cartel members) sos numbers and gives them more opportunities to get significant wins.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

But complaining about the cartel is not going to accomplish anything. The remaining conferences need to band together and help each other help — the old “help me help you.” If the conferences work together, they can definitely help each other get more quality games between tournament hopefuls. Those games are there to be had.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago But complaining about the cartel is not going to accomplish anything. The remaining conferences need to band together and help each other help — the old “help me help you.” If the conferences work together, they can definitely help each other get more quality games between tournament hopefuls. Those games are there to be had.

Meekly accepting what the cartel schools are doing without raising alarms and educating the public on its implications also doesn't accomplish or change anything. I am all for creative scheduling but also think the cartel should be called out for trying to box all non members out of the NCAA Tournament.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago But complaining about the cartel is not going to accomplish anything. The remaining conferences need to band together and help each other help — the old “help me help you.” If the conferences work together, they can definitely help each other get more quality games between tournament hopefuls. Those games are there to be had.

Meekly accepting what the cartel schools are doing without raising alarms and educating the public on its implications also doesn't accomplish or change anything. I am all for creative scheduling but also think the cartel should be called out for trying to box all non members out of the NCAA Tournament.
The P5 are in the business of making money for their schools. Their conference or school charters don’t mention being fair and kind to the mid majors to help them along. Most business markets have companies with different levels of success, different sizes etc.If you aren’t a market leader you look for things you can do to be more competitive. If you are a market leader, you look for ways to retain or expand your position which can be to the detriment of the mid level companies.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The P5 are in the business of making money for their schools. Their conference or school charters don’t mention being fair and kind to the mid majors to help them along. Most business markets have companies with different levels of success, different sizes etc.If you aren’t a market leader you look for things you can do to be more competitive. If you are a market leader, you look for ways to retain or expand your position which can be to the detriment of the mid level companies.

And business entities that collude with one another to "fix" things and monopolize markets often invite scrutiny and investigation as these run counter to fair trade and truly free markets.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

And business entities that collude with one another to "fix" things and monopolize markets often invite scrutiny and investigation as these run counter to fair trade and truly free markets.
It is nor collusion.
Going to a 20 game schedule.
Refusing to play an away game on mid major’s home court.
Look up the definition of monopoly. You are going to struggle to put five athletic conferences, oh wait sometimes 6 or 7 conferences and up to 87 different academic institutions into that definition.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

But how much of that money actually leaves the athletic department? I’d bet very little, if any.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

But how much of that money actually leaves the athletic department? I’d bet very little, if any.
There are multiple ways to look at the money piece - athletic generated revenues typically stay in the athletic department. But having elite programs generating excitement can lead towards increased donations or application interest. Estimates of George Masons Final Four Run in 2006 had 350% more admissions inquiries, 40% more out of state applications, active alumni increased by 25%, fundraising increased 52% from previous year, and an estimated $677 million in free advertising from the 2006 NCAA Tournament alone. These are obviously extreme numbers because you are talking about a Cinderella with unprecedented success, but the fact remains program success, whether football or basketball, leads to monetary success in other ways. The goal is to be the best, and that’s why you structure your schedule, your staff, your resources, etc in a way that can get you to that goal. And if you are someone not in the “elite,” you find ways to reinvent your strategy to get as close as possible to those goals.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Looks like URI will have three very good and tough non conference home games with Bassey returning to Western Kentucky.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/s ... 283833001/
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This is great news for both attendance and for the WKU game to be a resume builder.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago This is great news for both attendance and for the WKU game to be a resume builder.
Attendance should be really strong this season. The PC game will always be the biggest draw, but they should be able to package that game and the Alabama one in separate mini-plans that will really bolster the numbers for the less interesting games. Add in that the regular A10 quality programs should be up this year, and they should sell a lot of tickets. People were down early last season and saying they wouldn’t renew or buy, but I think the team showed enough at the end for people to get forgetful.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Here's hoping we get H&H's with VCU, Dayton, Davidson.

I would think those three, along with us, would be the preseason Top 4.
Go Rhody
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

The CBS Sports post-NBA draft dead line "Top 25 and 1" by Gary Parrish was released today. Notable teams/opponents in the CBS Top 25 were:

● Maryland #5
● VCU #18
● Davidson # 22
● Utah State 23
● LSU # 25
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow amazing 2 A10 teams top 25
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago This is great news for both attendance and for the WKU game to be a resume builder.
May be helpful for the resume but nobody is going to be lining up to get WKU tix.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Andy Katz' 2019/2020 "Power 36" was also released today...

Maryland #11
Utah State #19
VCU # 26
PC # 30
Davidson #31

And #LSU "in the mix" at #32
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago
May be helpful for the resume but nobody is going to be lining up to get WKU tix.
Probly depends on mini-plans, when it is, what has happened up to that point...
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago
You’re probably right, but sign me up for Cyril vs Bassey
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Subscription-only stuff here, and he ends up doing '20 more' after his initial Top 25:

4. Maryland
17. VCU
28. Davidson
34. Utah State
41. Providence

LSU noticeably absent.

Rhody4Life
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody4Life »

Where do we think Rhody is ranked preseason?

I personally have us in the top 50 or 60 or better, though obviously I'm biased like most people here. But I don't think the experts see us that way, I would guess somewhere in the 70s.