Game 2: Valparaiso (Tuesday, Nov 17 10am)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 2: Valparaiso (Tuesday, Nov 17 10am)

Unread post by adam914 »

I love everything about this kid already...

ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Looks like last year's team with new faces.
If you can't t shoot, you can't beat good teams.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

A10 tourney championship or no tourney birth.

I hate to say it, but we may not have em log enough to get at large bid. Iverson looks average, Terrell forces shots.

Four may lead this team in scoring.
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Like I've said, Hassan and Earl are horrid FT shooters.

As great as he is, Martin has killed us late in games with misses from the line.

How is that going to change? A shrink?

I'm not worried that much about our shooting from the field. We had several games last year where 35% would have been good.

Valpo didn't exactly light it up either.

The only way the overall shooting will improve, is if they can play more uptempo. That was the plan until EC's injury.

So welcome to last year, again.

Another year with no NCAA tourney. No depth, poor FT shooting. We will wear down again as the season goes along. Someone said 19-12. Sounds about right. Hello, NIT, most likely.

Could we get Four to play another year? Ha ha. We could use his shooting next season.
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramfan85 wrote:The more things change, the more they stay the same. Looks like last year's team with new faces.
First of all, last year's team was good, and maybe with a better schedule would have had the computer numbers to get considered for an at-large. And second of all, I think it is unfair to draw conclusions about how this team will shoot it based on a 10AM game against one of the best defensive teams in the country less than 72 hours after losing its most dynamic offensive player who the offense was intended to rely on heavily. All three of those factors could contribute to a bad shooting game for any team, never mind all three of them stacked on top of each other.

Just a public service announcement: I am really going to be defending the wall for this team until they show me they don't deserve it. I'm not going to be a homer for a team that I don't love, but I do love this group of guys and I think they showed a ton of guts today. So come with the hot take bagging on them and the outlook for the season, whatever you want to do. But I am going to be challenging that stuff, at least today. Today this team battled and fought against a really good team in a really tough circumstance, and they should be getting credit for that, not taking fire from their own fans.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Another year with no NCAA tourney. No depth, poor FT shooting. We will wear down again as the season goes along. Someone said 19-12. Sounds about right. Hello, NIT, most likely.
Another optimistic take from Eeyore. Oh bother.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

With EC, we were integrating one new player into the lineup at a time. Without him it is now two. We have two new starters and 2 out of 3 of the first off the bench being freshman. It's gonna take some time. Still, Valpo was on them defensively like flypaper and 4 had trouble getting open. I still see a 20+ win season.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'm with you Tp. Valpo is a terrific defensive team, and we'vE had ONE practice to adjust to life without EC. Sure the missed FTS will give me ajita. But I think we'll be ok if we continue to get the effort I saw today.
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, I agree with you. They played hard, and pretty well from what little I saw.

Just didn't make shots and free throws, again.

Just looking at the big picture. They are a good team, and will win some games against other good teams.

Just that it's very frustrating to realize that the ceiling has been lowered, and you know it has.

A lot of anticipation that this was to be the year where we finally got over the hump. I expected an NCAA tourney invite, I think we all did. Maybe not a deep tourney run, but at least make it.

We have had ENOUGH of close-but-not-quite. Haven't you? Well, we're in for more of that this season, and are we happy about it?

Not at fucking all.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone, I think you're giving up too early and too easily. Maybe I am setting myself up for more disappointment, but I am sticking by this group for now. I do agree that the ceiling has probably been lowered a little in terms of high-end upside, but as far as their stated goals of winning the league and being a tournament team, I think enough remains even after the injury to #0.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

You can only put 5 guys on the floor and when one of them who is tops in the country goes down in a heap, it has a big impact. How much will remain to be seen.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

No moral victories. A game in the 50's in this newer, higher-paced year of college hoops...not a good showing. People have a right to be disappointed.

Clang.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

One more thing, TP.

Sorry if my brand of realism bothers you.

Get used to it. Actually, I'm sure you are, but tough. I'm not the only one on here with the same opinion, but you love to single me out every time.

Keep doing it. I'm not going to stop. And I'm not going to respond to you any more when you do it either.

I would love to be proven wrong. It's not the teams's fault, OK? Horrible luck with EC going down.

They are doing their best, that's all we can ask. It just sucks for everybody.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

TruePoint wrote:
ramfan85 wrote:The more things change, the more they stay the same. Looks like last year's team with new faces.
First of all, last year's team was good, and maybe with a better schedule would have had the computer numbers to get considered for an at-large. And second of all, I think it is unfair to draw conclusions about how this team will shoot it based on a 10AM game against one of the best defensive teams in the country less than 72 hours after losing its most dynamic offensive player who the offense was intended to rely on heavily. All three of those factors could contribute to a bad shooting game for any team, never mind all three of them stacked on top of each other.

Just a public service announcement: I am really going to be defending the wall for this team until they show me they don't deserve it. I'm not going to be a homer for a team that I don't love, but I do love this group of guys and I think they showed a ton of guts today. So come with the hot take bagging on them and the outlook for the season, whatever you want to do. But I am going to be challenging that stuff, at least today. Today this team battled and fought against a really good team in a really tough circumstance, and they should be getting credit for that, not taking fire from their own fans.
I don't care if we are playing the best defensive team in the country, free throws are the same against any team. We know we play tough, we know this team will never give up, we know we play great d, we also know we can't win close games against the best teams because we can't shoot free throws. It wasn't the schedule last year that stopped us from making the tournament it was FREE THROWS!! We didn't win the games we needed to because of free throws. @Pc 54%, Vcu 59%, Davidson 48.5%!!! @Dayton 52%...Those are the games we have to win to be a tournament team. Now the following season we have a top 50 team coming to our house on national television we play tough, we don't give up, we play awesome d, and what else?? We miss god damn free throws... 52 % compared to 84% that's why we lost. I love the grit of this team I am literally in section 205 going absolute nuts for this team, but I can't take games we should of won because of something so easy.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I can't make excuses for the free throw shooting. That is the one thing that I don't have much of an argument for, except to say that maybe we just accept that we are not a good free throw shooting team and that we will have to win games other ways despite our poor FT shooting. I mean, at what point does it become silly to expect that we suddenly are going to shoot it at 80% from the line as a team?
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

Id take 60%
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I agree with the no excuses for FT shooting. Something I took away from listening to Four after the American game is that he said he takes somewhere around 200 shots a day. At least 60 at the FT line. He says once you shoot that many it becomes natural to shoot those FTs. I don't know what Dan has them do every practice but maybe it would help if they all did what Four does in that respect.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

BleedBlue87 wrote:I agree with the no excuses for FT shooting. Something I took away from listening to Four after the American game is that he said he takes somewhere around 200 shots a day. At least 60 at the FT line. He says once you shoot that many it becomes natural to shoot those FTs. I don't know what Dan has them do every practice but maybe it would help if they all did what Four does in that respect.
It's just not that easy. I imagine DH has tried the "let's shoot more FTs".
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I was going to make that observation.

If we're not a good shooting team from the floor, it can be made up sometimes by making your FT's.

You know, steal games because we make a high percentage from the line.

Hell, just make 70%, which is about the national average, and we win all of the above games that were lost last year. We don't even have to make 80% to win them, nowhere close.

I'm sure this is not lost on the coaching staff.

That's what is pissing me off more from today's game. Yeah, we shot 35% from the floor, which is still good enough to beat most teams with the way we play defense. Even against good teams like today's opponent.

It's not like we have only one or two guys that can't make them. At least half the team can't, in our case. We have two guards with a ton of talent, that can't make them. GUARDS, for cripe's sake. Our big men are beyond pathetic, not even close to 60%, which I'd take from them in a heartbeat.

What is it going to take to turn it around? And don't tell me it's only 2 games into the season, give it time. Bullshit.

We have ONE, count 'em, ONE player who can make FT's. Four. And he's gone after this season.

I am beyond sick and tired of FT shooting costing us games.

We are shooting, as a team after 2 games, forty FUCKING six percent from the line. I can do better than that now, and I'm sixty fucking years old......
Last edited by rambone 78 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:I agree with the no excuses for FT shooting. Something I took away from listening to Four after the American game is that he said he takes somewhere around 200 shots a day. At least 60 at the FT line. He says once you shoot that many it becomes natural to shoot those FTs. I don't know what Dan has them do every practice but maybe it would help if they all did what Four does in that respect.
It's just not that easy. I imagine DH has tried the "let's shoot more FTs".
Um yeah, I am pretty sure Dan has considered the "practice FTs" approach.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The fact they had a shot at the end with everything that has transpired was really inspiring!

The fact Jarvis missed those free throws with less than two to go/ Hassan Martin missing was disappointing!!

People are always so quick to dismiss people that are considered scorers, but they don't realize it's a talent to carry the scoring load. It takes more to be the #1 guy and create points. Mentally to keep knocking on the door with the threat of points.

This team is still good. Just needs to adjust and get coached up. We have a great one. Still exciting year. Exciting program. Hassan Martin looked like a joke against zona his freshmen year. He's a stud now. Thompson/Akele will be better.

Jarvis garret can't go 0-2 at the line under 2 minutes. Not that we haven't had a pg do that before.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Agreed on the FT's. Gave up 12 points. 50% FT is unacceptable. We cheer for the fouls called on our team. It's because they are called "And 1". its a gimme. but not for us. let's just call it "and a 1/2"
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

My ramblings upon returning home from the game:

I hate to say it but Rhody deserved to lose this game today. You cannot shoot 54% from the FT line and expect to beat a good team. Middle school type FT shooting percentages do not win NCAA D1 games.

This season is going to be very difficult for fans to watch. The defense on its own will keep games close. The offense (particularly FT's) will prevent them from winning many games against good teams. Even though we are just two games into the season, I do not expect the FT shooting to get a whole lot better. They already have 55 FT attempts through two games and they are a putrid 47% (26-55). We saw many of these same players miss quite a bit last year and they have continued that trend into this season. They are what they are. Expecting them to suddenly change is probably not realistic.

Must say I am disappointed in the performance of most players. McGlynn has been the one bright spot so far. No one else on the team has been very impressive nor even met expectations. I had expected more from Martin, Terrell, Garrett, and Iverson than what I have seen through two games. The effort is there and the team plays hard but that is not good enough on its own to win games against the good teams.

I feel that this team will have a win record in the upper teens a few games better than .500. They will beat inferior teams and lose a lot of close games to better competition. Unless their SOS is exceedingly good, I don't even think an NIT bid will be there.

Must say I am again disappointed in the turnout today. I know it was a 10am start but 4,881 for an ESPN game against a good team is poor. The student turnout was particularly bad. There was not even a band there today. The kids that did show were loud and supportive but their overall numbers should be larger. Was impressed by the pre-college school kids. The group in 215 was great and looked to be having a lot of fun.

Sorry to come off as negative but after EC's injury and the performance of play I have seen through two games, it is difficult to not be. It would be great if they proved me wrong but I don't expect them to.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
BleedBlue87
ARD

There has to be something that can be done to improve FT shooting. I don't think we can just sit here and say "forget FTs." I love the fact that Four went back out after the game to practice more shots. I don't pretend to know how to coach or even know how it is to be a player but that type of dedication is something everyone should be doing.

On another note, Dayton is looking real good and their arena is packed. I was a bit disappointed with turnout today. I did sit in the student section today which is a lot more fun than sitting with my usual crowd which takes an act of god to get them to stand up and cheer.
Last edited by BleedBlue87 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well,back from Kingston after a couple of side trips.
One of the most putrid displays of offense ever.
You can't miss 11 free throws and a few one and ones in
those misses and still win against a team like Valpo.
That said, the team played demon defense and never once
remotely quit, and nearly tied it at the end.
The sheer size of Valpo made it tough for Hassan inside on
defense and offense.
When the ball got in to Ferndandez, his size alone overpowered Hassan.
He just shot over him. Hassan also had five turnovers.
A very loud crowd, all things considered.
A very winnable game on national TV vs.. a good team.
How many times have I seen this scenario over the years?
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I remember a couple of years ago, PC shot them at 60% as a team, and the following season, they ended up in the top 10 in the country, with the same cast of characters [plus one, Harris].

It CAN be done. Please. Maybe not Earl [hopeless], but the rest of them need to make their hands bleed shooting them at practice. Or at home, or anywhere there's a hoop.

It's all about reps and technique. Like was said, Four needs to show them the way, and they have to WANT to practice them and get better.....
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I was at the game, and couldn't even remember Valpo missing a free throw. We may have had an awful time at the line, but how many teams are going we going to face that shoot 84% from the line?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:I remember a couple of years ago, PC shot them at 60% as a team, and the following season, they ended up in the top 10 in the country, with the same cast of characters [plus one, Harris].

It CAN be done. Please. Maybe not Earl [hopeless], but the rest of them need to make their hands bleed shooting them at practice. Or at home, or anywhere there's a hoop.

It's all about reps and technique. Like was said, Four needs to show them the way, and they have to WANT to practice them and get better.....
Hey Rambone have you ever considered tracking down Dan and letting him know that they should practice free throws? This is very valuable information that I think he needs to know! Just imagine how thrilled they will be once you inform them of this groundbreaking idea of practicing!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Earl had a 2/2 I think first half. How many did that? Four had the foul on the three pointer and missed 1?? He's a 91% shooter from the line!!

I was proud of our defense first half though.

Our offense lacks pace/savvy. EC has that naturally. Changing speeds and taking the opportunity to create a shot for yourself. Like Terrell and others often don't face the defense. They just pass it back. Put pressure on them. But whatever.. free throws.......
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Adam, in my previous post, I mentioned that this is not lost on the coaching staff.

What I'm saying, is that maybe they should practice them outside of the normal practices they have.

Like, day and night. Night and day.

It was also mentioned that Four went on the court after the game and started practicing free throws.

Did ANY of the others do the same? I think there's the problem. They are the ones who should be out there, and they aren't.....

Wonder why Four and Jimmy B. are so good at them? I don't care if the others are practicing them more. They need to keep at it, and keep at it....
BleedBlue87
ARD

rambone 78 wrote:Adam, in my previous post, I mentioned that this is not lost on the coaching staff.

What I'm saying, is that maybe they should practice them outside of the normal practices they have.

It was also mentioned that Four went on the court after the game and started practicing free throws.

Did ANY of the others do the same? I think there's the problem. They are the ones who should be out there, and they aren't.....

Wonder why Four and Jimmy B. are so good at them? I don't care if the others are practicing them more. They need to keep at it, and keep at it....
Adam, what do you think the team needs to do to improve free throws?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I just looked at the box score and we basically have a 6 man rotation. With 2 freshman getting some non productive minutes.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

BleedBlue87 wrote: Adam, what do you think the team needs to do to improve free throws?
Just practice them! I can't believe Dan has never heard of practice!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:Adam, in my previous post, I mentioned that this is not lost on the coaching staff.

Oh they just need to practice MORE. Even more groundbreaking!

Actually, Four was on the court after the game shooting threes from the spot he missed the last shot, if you look at the picture that was posted. But don't let that get in the way of your outrage.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rambone 78 wrote:I remember a couple of years ago, PC shot them at 60% as a team, and the following season, they ended up in the top 10 in the country, with the same cast of characters [plus one, Harris].

Rambone, The big reason for the difference for PC was the previous year Council was the pg he was a horrible ft shooter.Then you go to Cotton who was close to 90 % and took an awful lot of them late in games.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Paid attendance was 4000 something. Let's discuss the "warm bodies" again. It's a good thing we had 5 different elementary schools there or attendance would have been 3000 or less. When I got to the RC, I expected to see a couple of thousand students waiting outside. There were 20. Yes, I counted, 20!!!!! More did filter in as time went on. But, I'm guessing there were around 300 there. That's a disgrace. At the start of the game, we had 3 cheerleaders. A few more came in during the game. I'm betting we're the only home team on ESPN that didn't have a band in attendance. Embarrassing. I've mentioned that a crazed basketball atmosphere is very important to Dan. Ace confirmed that I am right about that. So, I'm pretty sure it's true. A national TV game. 300 students. 3 cheerleaders. No band. That's far from a crazed basketball atmosphere. We don't deserve Dan Hurley here. And I don't care what time the game was. Basketball is not that important to this university on many levels. I will always be a huge fan of this team and I have been for over 40 years. Right now, I'm totally disgusted. Love the team. Hate the support. Who will our next coach be?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

50 push ups for every missed FT. And you have to make 100 before you leave.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Adam I don't know why you have to be such a jerk about things. You haven't offered anything other than criticize other peoples thoughts. Way to be!!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is worth mentioning that Men's basketball has averaged 4,985 through the first two games for URI's marquee sport in a highly anticipated season. The historically bad football program averaged just a bit less at 4,753 this past season. This was for a one win football team playing one division down from the top college level. Given the football numbers, I must say the attendance numbers for basketball have not exactly been all that impressive to start the year.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

BleedBlue87 wrote:Adam I don't know why you have to be such a jerk about things. You haven't offered anything other than criticize other peoples thoughts. Way to be!!
It's because I am sick of hearing for years now that we stink at FTs because we don't practice them. It's a stupid thing to say, especially when it has been talked about over and over about how they do practice them alot, and in different situations. Fresh, tired, before practice, during practice, after practice. So yeah, if people are just going to keep saying over and over "hey they should practice FTs", then I am going to keep criticizing it. Because it's dumb.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Follow Four's lead.....just follow it.....obviously they aren't......not yet anyway......

woodenickel, yes that's true about Council, but they ALL improved dramatically, I was told they made a collective effort to improve by practicing on their own, and it worked....

I don't think some of our players, even though they are hard workers, don't see FT's as being that important because they aren't following Four's lead......

maybe they shoot them at 80% at practice but under the pressure of an actual game, they are failing because it's just not enough.....
theblueram
Frank Keaney

They don't practice free throws. This we know. Or else they are just incapable of making them. Pick one.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:I just looked at the box score and we basically have a 6 man rotation. With 2 freshman getting some non productive minutes.
Dan said this environment was too tough for the freshmen to play in, two games into their careers. Their roles will definitely expand.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RF1 wrote:It is worth mentioning that Men's basketball has averaged 4,985 through the first two games for its marquee sport in a highly anticipated season. The historically bad football program averaged just a bit less at 4,753 this past season. This was for a one win football team playing one division down from the top college level. Given the football numbers, I must say the attendance numbers for basketball have not exactly been all that impressive to start the year.
Football has five home games, and it's generally a more popular sport in the U.S. Even low division RIHS teams having winless seasons get around 500 to 1,000 per game. If you magically stretched out the home football season to around 16 games, I imagine that the average attendance is pretty solidly below men's basketball.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote:
RF1 wrote:It is worth mentioning that Men's basketball has averaged 4,985 through the first two games for its marquee sport in a highly anticipated season. The historically bad football program averaged just a bit less at 4,753 this past season. This was for a one win football team playing one division down from the top college level. Given the football numbers, I must say the attendance numbers for basketball have not exactly been all that impressive to start the year.
Football has five home games, and it's generally a more popular sport in the U.S. Even low division RIHS teams having winless seasons get around 500 to 1,000 per game. If you magically stretched out the home football season to around 16 games, I imagine that the average attendance is pretty solidly below men's basketball.
None of that actually matters. What does matter is whether there is an excuse to whine about something. Don't take that away from people, you monster!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That is shocking about the student turnout....I would have thought there would be 2000 there....

After today's loss, good luck the next home game.....

Dan's not going anywhere soon, but another 2 years of this, especially if we don't Dance at least by next season, and it could be bye-bye......or even if we do.....

EC's injury is going to hurt on many levels.....

P.S. Here's a recruiting thought....start recruiting kids who can also shoot free throws..the whole package....other than EC and a one year transfer, hasn't happened yet....
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't care what the attendance numbers say, it was not close to the reported 4881, or whatever it was. I know we've been over this before, but today's discrepancy was pretty large. In my section alone, 213, there were around 30 unsold seats. The section wasn't half full.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I thought they under-reported attendance on Friday night by about 500-600, so I doubt they suddenly started exaggerating it. I can't speak to the student turnout for today, but I can kind of understand the dampened enthusiasm so many seem to have after EC's injury hurting it slightly. As far as regular fans, they just weren't ever going to go to a game at 10AM on a weekday in large enough numbers to make people here happy. N Iowa gets good fan support, and their building was empty this morning, too. This game is scheduled for TV, not to drive home attendance.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

PC hasn't shot 60% from the line in a long time. They went from 70 to 78% a few years back. Mostly because Council graduated and Cotton got an extra 100 attempts at 85%. I am not saying practice hurts or that you can't improve but it would take sort of a miracle for this squad to do better than last year's 65%, especially since we lost EC's 75%. Short of Four turning into Russell Westbrook.