Game #6: Georgia Tech Yellowjackets - ESPNU - GameDay!!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #6: Georgia Tech Yellowjackets - ESPNU - GameDay!!

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Iggy, if guys were yanked out all the time after mistakes, we wouldn't be able to field a team after a few minutes. :(

Not only that, O is a bust and Butler is close to that. That's 4 guys, plus the walk ons, that aren't quality A10 players.

That's half the team. Our depth isn't anywhere near what was advertised. That, plus the newbies lack of experience, is why we can't play the run game.

At some point Dan will have to 'fess up, and admit it.
Last edited by rambone 78 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I will rest my case with this; Jarvis will be less nervous, less tight, and more comfortable via starting and playing major minutes now to prep him for the grind of the A-10 season....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Surprisingly someone with the lowest expectations, from me included, was Jarell Reischel and he has overdelivered. He has put up 3-4 solid games in a row and seems to be finding his role - rebound, defense, slash and garbage points. Hope it continues.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

section(105) wrote:I will rest my case with this; Jarvis will be less nervous, less tight, and more comfortable via starting and playing major minutes now to prep him for the grind of the A-10 season....
Shouldn't he start when his performance dictates it? You could argue he's played worse than Biggie.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BAR, he of all people has seemed to have gained some confidence out there.

He definitely has the athleticism.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote:
section(105) wrote:I will rest my case with this; Jarvis will be less nervous, less tight, and more comfortable via starting and playing major minutes now to prep him for the grind of the A-10 season....
Shouldn't he start when his performance dictates it? You could argue he's played worse than Biggie.
Agree with Iggy here....i heard rumblings in preseason that BM was not raising his level but JG also wasn't ready. Its a dilemma for a coach. Jarvis was one of the worst performers in Orlando. Looked scared, timid and at times over his head. Pulled a classic Mike Powell and went in among the trees to get swatted.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rambone 78 wrote:Iggy, if guys were yanked out all the time after mistakes, we wouldn't be able to field a team after a few minutes. :(

Not only that, O is a bust and Butler is close to that. That's 4 guys, plus the walk ons, that aren't quality A10 players.

That's half the team. Our depth isn't anywhere near what was advertised. That, plus the newbies lack of experience, is why we can't play the run game.

At some point Dan will have to 'fess up, and admit it.
Who advertised that we had good depth? Also, you can't give up on Iffy yet. I can concede that he probably isn't ready to play, but he's still relatively new to organized basketball. You can't teach his physical makeup, and bigs often "find it" later in their careers anyways.

You guys are unreal, honestly. Almost everyone here picked URI to lose somewhere between 10-15 games this season. They're on pace to lose 10 and people sound like they're ready to punt the season and fire the coach. Just accept that you're going to have games like the GT game with the way our roster is constructed and this season will be easier on you emotionally.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

But TP, we lost to Kansas too. We might as well pack the season in and quit already! :P
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The way our roster is constructed? Please.

I expected bumps along the way. I've predicted 11 losses.

Did YOU predict we would score 2, count 'em, TWO points in 10 minutes against a mediocre opponent?

Did I freak out over the Kansas game? Not one bit. I expected a loss. We actually played well against a top 10 opponent for more than half the game.

Last night was an abomination. Like a bunch of guys who just met each other for the first time.

I thought that games like last night were in the past. Wrong.

So, yes, I do expect more from this group and coach. I have been one of the more positive people on this board for quite a while now.

I'm just getting sick and tired watching this team making the same mistakes over and over again. Spare me the young excuse too.

I call it like I see it. You can call it like you see it. I'm not expecting greatness all of a sudden. But I don't expect this shit show excuse for a BB game either.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I have no problem with TJ starting, as long as Minnis' minutes go
to Jarvis.
That will give him the playing time he needs to bring his game along.
Hurley knows what he needs from a PG, and he's said Garrett brings a lot to the table,
at the point.
Not as advertised? After six games? Really?
I remember people saying that about Lamar Odom after the Cincy and PC games.
Stop it, please.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Bone, Four of your best five players are freshmen and sophomores, and none of them are dead-eye shooters. So yeah, when that's your roster things like scoring 2 points in 10 minutes may happen a couple times over the course of thirty games. I don't love watching it, but that is reality.

Three teams in the A-10 have fewer than two losses as of today; between them they've played four power-5 teams. We've played three. I don't know what you expect losses to look like, but if we lose a dozen games they aren't all going to be inspiring moral victories. Sometimes you have a clunker. Time to move on.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

One more thing:

For 30 minutes last night, we played mediocre basketball. If we had played the other 10 minutes the same way, we win that game by 10 points.

But no, that 10 minutes of whatever it was, was the worst display of awfulness I have EVER SEEN in my 40 years of watching URI BB. And that's really saying something.

And this is from the supposed savior of the program, one Mr. Dan Hurley, who also supposedly has the talent he says he needs to become a contender for a tournament berth THIS season.

OK it's one game, but the lack of offense and stupid mistakes are there, and is it getting any better folks?

Is it????? Like Smails [sp?] from the movie Caddyshack says; "Well, we're WAITING!"
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So we had a stinker. One bad game does not make a trend. As for the coaching comments, pretty amusing. Clearly.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unless the offense gets straightened out and quick, there are more clunkers to come...and soon.

I'm not the only one saying so either.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"This year, we have depth at every position." -Dan Hurley
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote:Unless the offense gets straightened out and quick, there are more clunkers to come...and soon.

I'm not the only one saying so either.
Huh? Or maybe they revert back to the way they played against Nebraska and not so much. Yeah we stunk the joint out, played our worst game this year against a middling "Power Conference" team an lost by 3. Maybe give them this one and see how it goes from here.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We did NOT play that well against Nebraska. Thank God it was at home, or we lose that game and it's not close, at their place.

I don't just look at a game as W or an L. It's HOW WE PLAYED that's important in the long run.

We played our best half of the season against a good team, Kansas in the second half.

Santa Clara is not a good team, sorry.

Dan and staff are going to have a really tough practice week ahead, that's for sure. Some guys need to get their head on straight.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bone, can you show me the quote where Dan calls himself the savior of the program?

How did Kansas play when they lost by 35 to Kentucky and scored 40 points? yes Kentucky is Kentucky, but Kansas is Kansas and is loaded with HS All Americans. young teams lay eggs at times, fact.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BAR, he never said that, that was me being sarcastic. But he is in truth.

However, he has said that he now has the talent to make a run at the tournament. He hasn't said they will make it, though, that would be foolish.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rambone, if Georgia Tech were in the 14 team Atlantic 10 what position do you think they would finish?
Last edited by ramster 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:"This year, we have depth at every position." -Dan Hurley
Depth and good depth aren't always the same thing. We have bodies to play 5-on-5 in practice now, but except for Gil and TJ the veterans on our roster are mostly roster filler. When we put another class or two like the last two behind those guys and our best players are upperclassmen, then we will have "good" depth. I know particularly with respect to rambone I am wasting my time advocating for patience and perspective, but it seems like a lot of us didn't learn anything from last year. We all hope for a giant leap forward, but it is more realistic that the steady build continues, and hopefully it accelerates as it does. Beating Nebraska was a big statement for the potential this team has, but it didn't mean we were out of the woods and would never have a bad game again.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

But you said the results of the two scrimmages against Manhattan and Harvard were "meaningless". One could contend that what we heard about those scrimmages resembles what we got in five games played so far. It was the Pace game that was meaningless.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramster, I think I said in another post that I thought GT would finish no better than 5th in the A10. And that's in a down year for the A10.

TP, I have said that our roster still has holes. Yes, we don't have much quality depth.

I'm not expecting the world to bow to us yet. I am expecting improvement as time goes on. I do expect "clunkers" as some have said on here too.

I did NOT expect that kind of performance though. Maybe you did, or it doesn't bother you. Fine.

We are not a NCAA tourney team this year. If we improve, we've got a shot at the NIT.

In the recruiting threads, we have discussed what Dan needs to bring in.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I may be too pessimistic, but the two recruits we just signed do not excite me. I hope I am proven wrong, but they may not be the needed boost in depth we need. Leroy may be the real deal, but Thompson has me thinking Butler...but with no excuse...done during the early signing period.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If we're not a tourney team this year, are we a tourney team next year if we don't replace Gil?
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:If we're not a tourney team this year, are we a tourney team next year if we don't replace Gil?

Probably not. This is where Hare really screwed us...Not too mention he was the best suited of our bigs to run the supposed Hurley run offense.
Last edited by RIFan 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RIFan wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:If we're not a tourney team this year, are we a tourney team next year if we don't replace Gil?

Probably not. This is where Hare really screwed us...
So if thats the case, are you of the belief that Terrell, Garrett and Watson are good as they are ever going to be 5 games into this season?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Let's just hope that they are the "quality depth" that we need.

We will need both badly, with Gil gone and needing more shooters.

Then there are the needs for another big who can play right away, and maybe another PG.

You never know, we may lose one or two of our current players to transfer also.

In any case, at least another solid recruiting class is needed. What we have coming in right now will help, but won't get us over the hump.

And yes, Hare screwed us again, by not being there, and probably costing us Gustys in the process.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

adam914 wrote:
RIFan wrote:

Probably not. This is where Hare really screwed us...
So if thats the case, are you of the belief that Terrell, Garrett and Watson are good as they are ever going to be 5 games into this season?
No but, I don't think Watson is the starting center on an NCAA team unless, Jarvis and Terrell turn into Tyson and Cat by next season.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:But you said the results of the two scrimmages against Manhattan and Harvard were "meaningless". One could contend that what we heard about those scrimmages resembles what we got in five games played so far. It was the Pace game that was meaningless.
Huh? Not trying to sound like a jerk, but I don't really agree with one thing you said in this post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Let's just hope that they are the "quality depth" that we need.

We will need both badly, with Gil gone and needing more shooters.

Then there are the needs for another big who can play right away, and maybe another PG.

You never know, we may lose one or two of our current players to transfer also.

In any case, at least another solid recruiting class is needed. What we have coming in right now will help, but won't get us over the hump.

And yes, Hare screwed us again, by not being there, and probably costing us Gustys in the process.
Gustys, Silva, Reuter, who knows? We might have got one of them. Now we have to hope a big emerges during the high school season and then convince him to come here.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Adam, of course Terrell, Garrett, and Watson will improve. That's nuts to think otherwise.

They will need to, for us to be an NIT team. Right now, we're nowhere near good enough.

Obadiah, I guess there was something to those "scrimmages" after all.

There obviously were things that Dan saw that he didn't like. They are continuing for sure, topped off by last night's debacle.

Dan knows what's up. He knows this team is a long way from being CONSISTENTLY good. He can't tell US that of course!

We will see in the coming games, who plays and who doesn't. The weeding out will begin.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Someone explain to me how losing to Georgia Tech supports the idea that people should have been freaking out about scrimmages they didn't see? I think freaking out right now is every bit as foolish as freaking out then. How did freaking out about scrimmages look the night we beat Nebraska? Can we just say that the game against GT wasn't the high water mark for the season and move on to Southern Miss?
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I didn't ask you to agree. I guess I did ask you to be a more realistic rather than putting on rose colored glass glasses. Did you not say those scrimmages had no meaning?? Didn't the comments from those scrimmages mention lots of turnovers, didn't the comments mention the Rams slow start in both and that the Rams were more competitive in the second half??? Were you watching the games in Orlando?

Also, if you want to make a cogent counter, then cut out the exaggeration. No one is freaking out. Just because someone doesn't agree with your view is no reason to get into a fit.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan must have seen weaknesses in our game during those scrimmages. They are trying to duplicate game conditions during them. Otherwise, what's the point?

Those weaknesses haven't gone away, evidenced by last night's game. They are directly related.

How you can't see that, is beyond me.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Time for staff to give this book another read cause our offense is not good at the moment:

I doubt Baron ever did read it.....

A few new plays would be nice....

:)
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:I didn't ask you to agree. I guess I did ask you to be a more realistic rather than putting on rose colored glass glasses. Did you not say those scrimmages had no meaning?? Didn't the comments from those scrimmages mention lots of turnovers, didn't the comments mention the Rams slow start in both and that the Rams were more competitive in the second half??? Were you watching the games in Orlando?

Also, if you want to make a cogent counter, then cut out the exaggeration. No one is freaking out. Just because someone doesn't agree with your view is no reason to get into a fit.
My point then was that if there was anything to the reports, then it would all come out in the wash so I'd prefer to wait to form an opinion based on what I could personally witness in a game they were trying to win. I think I was right about that, and I'm beyond confused about why you think I should change my mind about it now. I think what happened in Orlando was we got schooled by a good team, beat a mediocre team when we played well and lost to one when we didn't. About what I'd expect.

I don't know how you can tell me I have rose colored glasses when I predicted a 6-5 OOC record. I think I was being realistic then. I think having silly expectations and then losing your mind when they don't live up to it is the opposite of realistic.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Obie, I don't know about you, but I give up trying to "reason" with TP.

Each to his own I guess.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rambone I am willing to bet the irony of you scare quoting "reason" is totally lost on you. Ha you're the best.

Someday we will lose a game and people will shrug and say "damn, if we had played better we would have won" and let that be the end of it without making it a referendum on the state of the program. Someday. I hope.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We can agree on one thing anyway:

We can agree to disagree. I'm cool with that.

We're oil and water on this board, but that's OK. No harm, no foul.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I believe Dan's quote on a few occasions about this team is something like this, "we are talented but we are young, we can be a great team, but with that will come some bumps in the road". Improvement for a team is not a linear process, it can be 1 forward 1 back at times until it all clicks. Will that happen remains to be seen, but putting Dan and the program on the chopping block 6 games in is foolish IMO as well. We lost to Georgia Tech, not New Jersey Tech.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BAR, we all know that, but it's the WAY we lost that irks everybody.

GT isn't that good. We had to play arguably the worst 10 minutes of basketball in the history of the program to lose that game.

And we did. We need to play another game right away, so the stink of that game goes away as fast as possible.

I can handle losing. I can handle poor play. But that took the cake.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I can't wait until we beat So Miss and Providence and we get 150 straight posts from Rambone about how we've turned the corner and become the team Dan promised us.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

This thread has been more entertaining than the game was.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:This thread has been more entertaining than the game was.
Haha no doubt about that.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Adam, I'd like to see us beat both of them too.

Maybe we will. Who knows? By the way, when we beat Nebraska I wasn't ready to call us world beaters yet.

It's not just about winning and losing. How you win, and how you lose, defines a team.

I want to see us consistently play WELL. That's all I'm asking. Is that too much to ask?

Until they do that, I'm not going to be happy. If you are happy with shit play, then good for you. Enjoy it.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, RIfan and Rambone, please PM me your addresses.
You need to flip a coin to see which one of you gets the visit from my
monster Mastiffs, and which one gets a visit from my monster ex-wife.
You are both charged with bringing up Jordan Hare's defection as
an excuse for not being better.
It's been two years since Hare played. That ship has sailed.
Accept your punishment!
Come to think of it, let's include TP, for shits and giggles.
Maybe my four cats can ruin his furniture?
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea Jordan Hare :roll: :roll: :shock:

Our bigs are good.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It's not that Jordan Hare isn't here anymore. It's the potential future players that didn't come here because Jordan was here.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

E tu, Billy and SPG?