Preston Murphy Joins BC staff as Assistant Coach

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Preston Murphy to Join BC staff as Assistant Coach

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:Still waiting for a statement from Dan and/or Preston. Or Thorr. Is Dan pissed? Maybe.

Would be nice to hear something.

You know, like thanking him for his service, etc.

I would expect the first announcement would come from BC annnouncing his hiring. This has not yet happened. They have already had two press releases in the last week to announce other new staff members. My guess is that they are probably tying up loose ends with Murphy before any official announcement. Once that is done. I would imagine we will see something from URI.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ramster hit the nail on the head in his earlier post about this not being a good business decision. All the talent on this team is 100% because of Preston.

To compete in college basketball today you need to have that kind of money to throw to assistants. At least the good ones. Could URI match 260k for preston? Certainly not. But to tell me they couldn't have thrown another 50-70k at him to make it competitive? At least give Preston pause to make the decision harder?

I hate hearing the "state university" argument. We're barely a state institution. The state gives URI less than 8% of it's total operating budget. For the athletic department budget, I'd imagine it would be 1% or less. Our out of state students pay Ivy league money. 15,000 students + pay an athletics fee. The money is definitely there, it's just typical Rhode Island "the way it always is" bullshit and it's why we never amount to anything impressive, campus-wide. It's pathetic and it's sickening.

If the money isn't there - fire one of the bazillion "administrators" that is a political cast off from some long-defunct, corrupt political regime - or better yet get rid of the salary of one of the many associate or deputy athletic directors so that you're keeping it in the department.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: But to tell me they couldn't have thrown another 50-70k at him to make it competitive? At least give Preston pause to make the decision harder?
Do we know for sure that they didn't do this?
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

We don't know if Preston was offered a raise yet or not.

Playing devil's advocate: is Preston worth 160K? Or, can you find someone who can give you at least 65% of Preston at 100K, and spend the difference in salaries towards other improvements?
Go Rhody!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RF1 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Still waiting for a statement from Dan and/or Preston. Or Thorr. Is Dan pissed? Maybe.

You know, like thanking him for his service, etc.

I would expect the first announcement would come from BC annnouncing his hiring. This has not yet happened. They have already had two press releases in the last week to announce other new staff members. My guess is that they are probably tying up loose ends with Murphy before any official announcement. Once that is done. I would imagine we will see something from URI.
Yeah it seems like BC has a real logjam right now with their coaching hires. I feel like the Spinelli hire wasn't officially announced until about a week after the news broke.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rambone, why would you expect to hear anything from Dan or Thorr before the hiring has even been announced?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

How do we know that Preston wasn't tired of having to carry so much of the
recruiting load?
Spinelli is a big time recruiter, so he'll have someone comparable to share the load.
Remember, Dan didn't hire Preston right away, and let him twist in the wind for
a while.
Maybe this bothered Preston, maybe not.
We can try to figure the whys, but I think in the end, it all comes down to money
and working at at better place for resume building.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Reports: Preston Murphy to Join BC staff as Assistant Co

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

This isn't a done deal, as in Preston's not made a decision as yet.

I'm hearing Rhody has offered coach-in-waiting, but obviously details of negotiations are confidential so we'll see.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

This is turning into "is he, or isn't he" ala Jim Harrick on 4/1/99
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I was hoping it might. Since everyone is silent on this,
maybe they're working on changing Preston's mind?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

the fat lady has not sung on this one yet.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I was hoping they wouldn't let Preston go without a fight.
The man is worth the effort, at least.
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

This BLOWS. Not to mention he has the hottest wife by miles on the staff.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ATPTourFan wrote:This isn't a done deal, as in Preston's not made a decision as yet.

I'm hearing Rhody has offered coach-in-waiting, but obviously details of negotiations are confidential so we'll see.
How would that play with Dan? Obviously nobody expects it, but it would be kind of weird to name a coach-in-waiting when your current coach could theoretically be there for another 25 years.

But hey, whatever. If there is anything left under the kitchen sink to throw at him, we might as well do it. I do think it won't end the program if he goes, but obviously on a personal level and for the good of the program it would be much, much better if they could get him to stay.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

What's more likely, TP? Dan stays 25 years, or Dan makes national news with the massive rebuild of URI and Preston takes over when Dan moves on up?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That is one way to look at it TP, another way is that a true succession plan could be a BOON to recruiting. Being able to tell a recruit that PM is courting, "look I can guarantee you will play for DH or me during your time at URI. no one else can make that guarantee that is recruiting you."

I did hear DH was NOT HAPPY at the PM news, so he may be willing to swallow some pride for the sake of success...I am pretty certain he understands the value PM brings to the table.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Contracts mean nothing in college sports, so he'd be insane not to grab the chance to double his pay.

Loyalty? Preston Murphy served URI with distinction as a player (for which he earned a full scholarship) and coach (for which he received a salary and benefits which he agreed was fair compensation, or else he wouldn't have taken the job). He never owed URI anything more than he's already done.

Losing coaches is a fact of life for programs at our level. What separates the better programs from the worse is having a head coach and athletic director who always have their antennae up to identify replacements. I'm pretty comfortable with Thorr and Dan responsible for that.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

coach in waiting doesn't necessarily have a time frame, see Mike Hopkins at Syracuse
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Preston comes back, Terrell gets out of his commitment and Preston goes and gets him. I'll go for that!!!!!!!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hurley would become the youngest coach ever to have a coach in waiting next to him.
Naming a coach in waiting is an acknowledgement that the head coach won't be around much longer -- in other words, nearing retirement. In this case, it would be an acknowledgement that if Hurley has any success he's gone. That's never happened before and would be very odd.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

It could be a time contingent thing. " If the head coaching job opens in the next 5 years, then..."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TruePoint wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:This isn't a done deal, as in Preston's not made a decision as yet.

How would that play with Dan? Obviously nobody expects it, but it would be kind of weird to name a coach-in-waiting when your current coach could theoretically be there for another 25 years.

But hey, whatever. If there is anything left under the kitchen sink to throw at him, we might as well do it. I do think it won't end the program if he goes, but obviously on a personal level and for the good of the program it would be much, much better if they could get him to stay.
Does Dan really care who replaces him if he leaves? And if Dan is here for 25 years, I can guarantee he would be making $2-3 Million a year and the assistants would be making $200-400K, at a minimum. Because that would mean we would be national.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Should we now add a "maybe" at the end of the title of this thread?
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

This makes no sense at this point in the programs history. I don't buy it. Maybe a bigger raise with more bennies, but I doubt coach in waiting.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Even if Dan is here for the long haul, the "coach in waiting" tag wouldn't prevent Preston from taking a HC job at another school if he were offered one, would it? It would just guarantee that if Dan did leave, that it would be Preston's job.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Still doesn't compute.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

That sounds about right Billyboy. Just like Wojo who was being called CIW at Duke before taking the Marquette job. Also, it would almost guarantee the next offer on Murph would be a HC position not another Assistant job.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You know, there's been nothing said on this, except the national guys,
who aren't that close to BC or URI.
No statements or announcements by anyone.
Wasn't Shaka Smart a done deal for MU?
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Didn't Koch confirm?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He said he did, but it's deleted now.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes.

Bill Koch ‏@BillKoch25 · 22h
#URI associate head basketball coach Preston Murphy will accept position at Boston College, source confirms to @IndependentRI.
Section104
Art Stephenson

"will accept" and "has accepted" are two different things, but I'd be surprised if Koch would say this if he didn't hear from a school official that it was 99.5% done.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, but unless it's 100% done, anything can happen.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

People on TV stations confirmed Shaka was in Milwaukee!
So, Koch can't have heard something from someone who
really didn't know what really was going on?
Section104
Art Stephenson

Rod what's your take on all of this? It seems you know Preston pretty well. Any chance he sticks around?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Andrew wrote:We don't know if Preston was offered a raise yet or not.

Playing devil's advocate: is Preston worth 160K? Or, can you find someone who can give you at least 65% of Preston at 100K, and spend the difference in salaries towards other improvements?
Playing devils advocate opponent YES he is worth it and then some. Come on Thorr time to belly up to the bar. Don't let Boston college steal our beloved Preston Murphy.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Right, Bill Koch said "will accept", so I guess he has that as an out if this doesn't happen and Preston stays. Bill is usually very conservative with any pronouncements, but since my post above saying this hasn't yet happened, I've been able to check around and URI is certainly fighting to keep PMurph.

Coach pMurph seems to want to stay, but the $$$ from BC can be very persuasive.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Only person that said it was a "done deal" was Rothstein. Everyone else used "should", "likely", "reports", etc.

Last edited by SmartyBarrett 10 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:Ramster hit the nail on the head in his earlier post about this not being a good business decision. All the talent on this team is 100% because of Preston.

To compete in college basketball today you need to have that kind of money to throw to assistants. At least the good ones. Could URI match 260k for preston? Certainly not. But to tell me they couldn't have thrown another 50-70k at him to make it competitive? At least give Preston pause to make the decision harder?

I hate hearing the "state university" argument. We're barely a state institution. The state gives URI less than 8% of it's total operating budget. For the athletic department budget, I'd imagine it would be 1% or less. Our out of state students pay Ivy league money. 15,000 students + pay an athletics fee. The money is definitely there, it's just typical Rhode Island "the way it always is" bullshit and it's why we never amount to anything impressive, campus-wide. It's pathetic and it's sickening.

If the money isn't there - fire one of the bazillion "administrators" that is a political cast off from some long-defunct, corrupt political regime - or better yet get rid of the salary of one of the many associate or deputy athletic directors so that you're keeping it in the department.
Thanks blue man, I've taken some crap here for my stand but URI cannot go down without a fight on this one, just can't. Time for Thorr to belly up to the bar, put those big boy pants on and say not on my watch you don't. A million dollars plus goes up in smoke to pay CFL and we are going to let an assistant coaching legend at uri go to BC as a second assistant? Not even a head coaching position? Sorry I have stepped on some toes here but Thorr and Dooley "step up to the freaken plate, please"
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Hell, just pay the man the money, he's earned it. If we can"t bury $100K in an $800 million budget then there are bigger issues at URI.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Right, Bill Koch said "will accept", so I guess he has that as an out if this doesn't happen and Preston stays. Bill is usually very conservative with any pronouncements, but since my post above saying this hasn't yet happened, I've been able to check around and URI is certainly fighting to keep PMurph.

Coach pMurph seems to want to stay, but the $$$ from BC can be very persuasive.
Very very conservative, I hope he is proven dead wrong. And admits it.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

If I'm Dan Hurley, I wouldn't want an assistant lurking in the background with that tag associated with him. Being a coach in waiting for a job where the present coach has been at the job for many years and is near retiring is a lot different than a second year coach. My guess is (if this is true) a booster may be stepping up.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

RAM67 wrote:Still doesn't compute.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieuBkWHfCuc

A BRESSLER PRODUCTION
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Reports have the raise being double his salary. I'm assuming they mean his new salary, which I believe is in the 250k range. IMHO, uri should match the offer. It's a short term pill to swallow to keep the program moving forward.
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

If the boosters come up with 40k to 50k and the school matches it? I can't see him leaving for 20-30k.
If he does this his next job would have to be HC.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

theblueram wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

Does Dan really care who replaces him if he leaves? And if Dan is here for 25 years, I can guarantee he would be making $2-3 Million a year and the assistants would be making $200-400K, at a minimum. Because that would mean we would be national.
I think you're missing my point. Nobody wants to have their replacement already named unless they are getting ready to retire. It's psychological. I wouldn't want someone at my work to be named the "my-job-title-in-waiting." Makes you feel kind of replaceable.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Exactly! If his recruiting directly leads to an NCAA, whatever raise PMurph gets,
pay for itself and then some.
I may be wrong, but I think he'll stay.
Why? It's not just him making the move. His wife has a medical career here.
His kids are in school here.
She'd have to quit her well paying job and uproot her kids, unless Preston likes commuting to work.
They have a comfortable lifestyle, a nice home in Western Cranston, and Preston doesn't have to prove anything to
his current employers.
More pressure on the new guys to perform at BC.
We shall see...........

Was Jim Boeheim retiring when Hopkin s was named coach in waiting, years ago?
I think Dan is cocky enough to not let this bother him, vs. the idea of losing a main cog in'his rebuilding efforts.
Again, look at he big picture, and not the petty stuff.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Where is it documented "years ago", that Hopkins was named "coach in waiting" ?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"In May 2007, it was reported that Hopkins was picked to be Jim Boeheim's successor, even though there was no timetable for Boeheim to retire."
Um that's SEVEN YEARS AGO.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Hi, guys. Took a sabbatical from the board. I recommend it. But this news really disappointed me. Talked to some folks today who told me URI is trying to sweeten the pot but can only go so far. And probably not enough.
I don't know Murphy's relationship with Hurley, only that Murphy has excelled.
I realize BC has tons of cash and is in a great conference. But it's a bad college sports city. And BC is kind of a fish out of water in the ACC.

I'd feel better if Preston was leaving a program that has even been to the NIT. Hurley needs to show a lot in Year 3 I am less impressed than some are. But I like Matthews and Martn a lot. Matthews is very impressive. Matthews is the stud we seldom get.
I figured Murphy would leave for a HC job. This blindsided me.