David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by reef »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago
Backroads wrote: 2 years ago

Any post game quotes yet? Here’s a pregame one.
See it’s quotes like these that really make me angry at Cox , come on Cox you are better than that !!
Actually he isn't. I didn't make up my sig tag. It's a direct quote from Coach Clueless.
I think Blue said it best Cox is just as bad with the media as he is in other aspects of the job
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Well we do lose a lot then show up to play the next game so yeah, coach is right - we are the most resilient he’s ever coached
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Stop speaking Coach Cox just let it end already
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I will say this, the A10 in particular is a guards league and our guard play has been very weak. Cox I think rightly identified the need and brought in El Amin but he has been underwhelming. Leggett is a tough guard who has value but can’t really shoot well, same with Martin. Shepherd is an enigma (he should be one of the best every night but isn’t), Carey is still a year away from being a really good player and Thomas also can’t shoot. Worst group of guards I can remember in a long time.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago I will say this, the A10 in particular is a guards league and our guard play has been very weak. Cox I think rightly identified the need and brought in El Amin but he has been underwhelming. Leggett is a tough guard who has value but can’t really shoot well, same with Martin. Shepherd is an enigma (he should be one of the best every night but isn’t), Carey is still a year away from being a really good player and Thomas also can’t shoot. Worst group of guards I can remember in a long time.
Jalen Carey is 22 (23 in October) and has played all or parts of four seasons in college basketball and managed to get only 15 minutes on a really bad team this year. I’m not sure he’s a year away from being a really good player.
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Ace, I really enjoy that you participate in our forum and are a valued member. You have a relationship with us from the Hurley Days. You have great insight and know many in the basketball circle. I would love for your input on our next hire(If Coach Cox is relieved). I'm not trying to put you on the spot and I completing respect if you decline but...

Your List young lady?

I would put the full court press on Kimani first! I don't think we get him... he is going big time but just maybe Danny's influence can help.
I don't see us getting a splash hire. Archie or Wojo ect.
I would like Shaheen Holloway over Coach Mason.
No to Grasso.

I do think this time around we could get a real good hire. Danny did a lot of heavy lifting and placed the program in the National spotlight not too long ago and made us relevant again. The program is not a graveyard.

Just would love your thoughts! I greatly appreciate you sticking around here and helping us through this Rhody Debacle!
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Was already discussed. Nope.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

He's only 64 years old and coaches in Division 2. Sounds like a no brainer to me!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago I will say this, the A10 in particular is a guards league and our guard play has been very weak. Cox I think rightly identified the need and brought in El Amin but he has been underwhelming. Leggett is a tough guard who has value but can’t really shoot well, same with Martin. Shepherd is an enigma (he should be one of the best every night but isn’t), Carey is still a year away from being a really good player and Thomas also can’t shoot. Worst group of guards I can remember in a long time.
Jalen Carey is 22 (23 in October) and has played all or parts of four seasons in college basketball and managed to get only 15 minutes on a really bad team this year. I’m not sure he’s a year away from being a really good player.
I wouldn’t mind Carey back next year improved a lot over last year and can be serviceable next year under the right coach
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
MegaRamFan2 wrote: 2 years ago I admit that I was very pro DC in order to preserve the recruiting class once Hurley decided to jump ship, but as of today I'm literally updating twitter on the hour in hopes of seeing a post that we're moving on from him. What a disaster this has been! Poor lineup configurations, lack of accountability, (ultimately) inability to preserve the best players on our roster... TIME TO MOVE ON! I'm all in on the big time "splash" hire, but bring me someone with energy who is willing to make hard decisions and in game adjustments!
75% (me included) were also pro Cox to keep the recruiting class and continue with the same culture.

It’s not a secret that the majority of here wanted Cox.

Hasn’t worked out, time to move on in a couple weeks.

I haven't seen any progress, growth, or development of the HC or any of the players. When you have players verbally telling the coach to F off when they're sitting on the bench, that's a formula of disaster. Absolutely need this to not happen again.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago
MegaRamFan2 wrote: 2 years ago I admit that I was very pro DC in order to preserve the recruiting class once Hurley decided to jump ship, but as of today I'm literally updating twitter on the hour in hopes of seeing a post that we're moving on from him. What a disaster this has been! Poor lineup configurations, lack of accountability, (ultimately) inability to preserve the best players on our roster... TIME TO MOVE ON! I'm all in on the big time "splash" hire, but bring me someone with energy who is willing to make hard decisions and in game adjustments!
75% (me included) were also pro Cox to keep the recruiting class and continue with the same culture.

I haven't seen any progress, growth, or development of the HC or any of the players. When you have players verbally telling the coach to F off when they're sitting on the bench, that's a formula of disaster. Absolutely need this to not happen again.
Taylor,
When was that and who was that?
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

I'd say that number was even higher if you include the people who were simply not opposed.

Cox was not my first choice at the time, and I didn't consider myself "pro-Cox," but I wasn't anti-Cox, either. I saw the merits behind the decision, it was a gamble I wasn't opposed to taking. But I'm looking forward to moving on now.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

OK we DEFINITELY need some more details on this!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Our guards are small, scrawny (evidently they haven't found the new weightlifting facility) and, as a group, don't shoot well from the outside. Too many passes are lazy or ill-considered.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
Our guards are small, scrawny (evidently they haven't found the new weightlifting facility) and, as a group, don't shoot well from the outside. Too many passes are lazy or ill-considered.
Yeah I mean do we even have a strength and conditioning program?

Other than Leggett everyone is scrawny as hell

I said all last year and in the offseason that the twins needed to put on some muscle and they didn't change their bodies at all.

Especially Makhel. He would be an absolute beast if he filled out his frame. He might even shoot 50% on his lay ups!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

I said all last year and in the offseason that the twins needed to put on some muscle and they didn't change their bodies at all.

Especially Makhel. He would be an absolute beast if he filled out his frame. He might even shoot 50% on his lay ups!
We did - is that another thing that disappeared under Cox' watch?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Not necessarily verbatim "go F yourself", but let's say they're disrespectful to him on the bench.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

When Cox didn't stand up to Fatts, it was all over.
NCAAs or Bust!
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Not necessarily verbatim "go F yourself", but let's say they're disrespectful to him on the bench.
Reported by more than one person who sits near the bench, overhead 3 different players using F word to Cox after being taken out of the game.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago

Reported by more than one person who sits near the bench, overhead 3 different players using F word to Cox after being taken out of the game.
Heard Larry Brown speak once at a clinic. He said that he wanted to name his autobiography "800 times a MFer". (The number and math may be off) He said this is because he coached Allen Iverson for 400 games. Based off rotations he took him out towards the end of the 1st quarter and towards the end of the 3rd quarter. Each time Allen Iverson walked up and down the bench MFing Larry Brown for taking him out. He reasoned that as a result he's been called an MFer 800 times during games.
Last edited by Bos8 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Walker seems especially frustrated every time he gets taken out. Wouldn’t be surprised if he was one of them.
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Walker seems especially frustrated every time he gets taken out. Wouldn’t be surprised if he was one of them.
Heard it was the twins and Carey.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We have to seriously look into what kind of kids we are bringing into the program need to find guys who want to buy in and me part of the team not me first individuals , what a mess this has become
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................we have guys motherfucking the head coach, in game, in front of the general public................................................................................................................BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.................................................................................................................................................................and some of you want to bring in Lamar Odom to replace?.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA...............................................................................
Last edited by KeaneyBluBallz 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
:lol:
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Moral of the story here: give someone an inch, they will take a mile.

I would never in a million years let someone speak to me like that.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I don’t have a major issue with the disrespectful language - the team is losing, everyone is frustrated and the guys getting pulled out of the game think they can help win. That’s just competitiveness. I want guys who hate losing. I want a coach who hates losing. Then I want guys who will execute down the stretch to make the winning happen. We were very close in a lot of games this year until the last few weeks, a couple plays or FTs would have changed some Ls to Ws. Instead the season derailed (again) and Cox was not able to right the ship (again).
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Ok, I read that about having a strength and conditioning coach and laughed, because of course they do. But do they? Vincent Williams was the strength and conditioning guy last season, but he took a job with the Sixers in October of 2021.

Maybe the site hasn’t been kept updated, but where did everybody go?! Are they sharing staff member with other programs- but why wouldn’t they be listed if they are?

Roster/Staff for 2020-2021
https://gorhody.com/sports/mens-basketb ... er/2020-21

Roster/Staff for 2021-2022
https://gorhody.com/sports/mens-basketb ... er/2021-22
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago I don’t have a major issue with the disrespectful language - the team is losing, everyone is frustrated and the guys getting pulled out of the game think they can help win. That’s just competitiveness. I want guys who hate losing. I want a coach who hates losing. Then I want guys who will execute down the stretch to make the winning happen. We were very close in a lot of games this year until the last few weeks, a couple plays or FTs would have changed some Ls to Ws. Instead the season derailed (again) and Cox was not able to right the ship (again).
We are 2-11 since Jan 22.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago I don’t have a major issue with the disrespectful language - the team is losing, everyone is frustrated and the guys getting pulled out of the game think they can help win. That’s just competitiveness. I want guys who hate losing. I want a coach who hates losing. Then I want guys who will execute down the stretch to make the winning happen. We were very close in a lot of games this year until the last few weeks, a couple plays or FTs would have changed some Ls to Ws. Instead the season derailed (again) and Cox was not able to right the ship (again).
I have a major issue if the disrespectful language is directed at the coach.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

105, I totally agree with that.

They can swear all they want, but not at the coach.

Just goes to show the lack of respect some of the players have toward Cox.

Does anybody think Coach K or really any coach worth his salt would allow it?

Once respect is lost, it's almost impossible to get it back....and that goes for marriages too lol.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 2 years ago Moral of the story here: give someone an inch, they will take a mile.

I would never in a million years let someone speak to me like that.
Nor would Rick.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Yes - he should be fired. I think the university did him no favors in his tenure here (assistant pool sucks, facilities are closer to being better yet, etc. - with his lower salary everything else should have been better but those things actually seemed to regress). 2-11 is unacceptable in year 4 (without a tourney appearance in prior years).
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The twins and Carey have no case to be mouthing off to the HC over playing time. They are sitting because they have sucked and have made little effort to improve and play like they are part of a team.
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago The twins and Carey have no case to be mouthing off to the HC over playing time. They are sitting because they have sucked and have made little effort to improve and play like they are part of a team.
Jalen has identical assist/TO ratio as Leggett but is better in almost every other stat category. He plays 10 mins less per game though and Leggett can’t hit any open shots most games, he has a reason to bitch about that.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Sorry, still struggling with the quote/response function.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Sorry, still struggling with the quote/response function.
1) Hit the "reply with quote" button.
2) Wait for the webpage to fully load.
3) Type message AFTER where it says [/quote]. That's it.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago The twins and Carey have no case to be mouthing off to the HC over playing time. They are sitting because they have sucked and have made little effort to improve and play like they are part of a team.
Jalen has identical assist/TO ratio as Leggett but is better in almost every other stat category. He plays 10 mins less per game though and Leggett can’t hit any open shots most games, he has a reason to bitch about that.
Jalen is the most athletic on the team I like him getting 15 minutes a night
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
McRam wrote: 2 years ago Sorry, still struggling with the quote/response function.
1) Hit the "reply with quote" button.
2) Wait for the webpage to fully load.
3) Type message AFTER where it says
That’s it

It is easy, even I can do it; although some probably wish I couldn’t
Just a few days way now, right Thorr?
Last edited by section(105) 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Yes - he should be fired. I think the university did him no favors in his tenure here (assistant pool sucks, facilities are closer to being better yet, etc. - with his lower salary everything else should have been better but those things actually seemed to regress). 2-11 is unacceptable in year 4 (without a tourney appearance in prior years).
Agreed Rhody falls short - but he has a larger assistants pool than Hurley did.

What has he done with it? Either made terrible hires or not trusted his hires to do the work themselves.

A CEO doesn’t go down and manage the day to day of front line people - he has managers for that.

A head coach isn’t supposed to be as involved in everyone’s day to day tasks - scouting, practice, etc.

He also lets his guys run stuff so they get experience.

Hurley lost assistants nearly every year to bigger programs with more money. That was frustrating for him, but he always made the right hire next.

Next to moving Dowtin off the ball, this was his biggest failure.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Jalen should be getting more minutes - he has cut down turnovers and is the most talented guard we have (not saying much). Leggett is a solid A10 guard but he does not do enough offensively to command as many minutes as he is getting,
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jalen should be getting more minutes - he has cut down turnovers and is the most talented guard we have (not saying much). Leggett is a solid A10 guard but he does not do enough offensively to command as many minutes as he is getting,
I've been saying this for two years that Carey needs to play more. Good to see others are hopping aboard.

Somehow, Carey has averaged LESS minutes this year than last. Which is incredible seeing how he's bee the best guard on the team this year.
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I've been saying this for two years that Carey needs to play more. Good to see others are hopping aboard.

Somehow, Carey has averaged LESS minutes this year than last. Which is incredible seeing how he's bee the best guard on the team this year.
Carey should not have been getting more minutes last year. Every time he went on the floor, he would be a turnover machine. However, he has played much better this year. His shot looks better, and his decision-making has improved. Like all of our guards, I don't think he's a starting level guard on a solid A10 team, but he's shown us he can make an impact. I hope he's back next year.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Leggett works harder defensively than any other player on the team and deserves to be starting.
NCAAs or Bust!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Agree about Leggett defensively, but he regressed big time offensively, dropping 10 percentage points in most shooting categories and going from pretty reliable with the ball to 49 assists/50 turnovers. Despite horrible numbers he was third on the team in minutes because he plays D. Unfortunately, URI lost most of the rock fights.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Definitely one of the more disappointing things this year has been Ish L play
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

This was the best
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think Leggett was hurt by our two big men strategy. He’s mostly a slashing, physical guard that wants to get most of his points in the paint. There was a lot less room to operate with no Fatts and two bigs.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Why is there so much immaturity on this board? Negativity is expected, but so much childish stuff lately. You can want Cox to be fired and be an adult at the same time. It can be done. I think it's clearly time for him to go, but I am not going to crap all over him. He did his best.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 2 years ago Why is there so much immaturity on this board? Negativity is expected, but so much childish stuff lately. You can want Cox to be fired and be an adult at the same time. It can be done. I think it's clearly time for him to go, but I am not going to crap all over him. He did his best.
Someone doing “their best” means getting worse each game? You cannot be serious with this. There’s people who spend a lot of money to support a successful program. To know that people provide such a large investment of time and money to support this program and have players tell the coach to F himself? That’s not doing “his best”.

His best was when he was AHC.