Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

His son, Preston Jr., is playing at St. Andrews in Barrington.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Great question
First things first....
A return to The State if Rhode Island makes sense

Then......
Yeah, I think Bryant or Rhode Island College or Brown would be great places for him to reestablish his coaching career and reputation.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Toppins dunks are pretty good also.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Interesting article by Kevin McNamara on his 30 years covering college hoops as well as Bill Koch’s take:
college hoops as well as Bill Koch’s take

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice article by Lil Kevin 30 years of hoop memories
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Christion Thompson, 10 points and 9 rebounds in 32 minutes in today’s Tulane comfortable win .... 0-5 from three.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago Christion Thompson, 10 points and 9 rebounds in 32 minutes in today’s Tulane comfortable win .... 0-5 from three.
And 4-8 FTs to go with his 0-5 on 3Ps and 3-9 FGs vs Southern University. Smh.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ulmer still one of my all-time favorite Rams. Always had a special place for him and Cothran since I am from New Haven to. Nice to see he is still playing. I've been thinking about Ulmer a lot recently when watching Toppin play. Not identical players but I notice some similarities with their pure athleticism at least.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Ulmer still one of my all-time favorite Rams. Always had a special place for him and Cothran since I am from New Haven to. Nice to see he is still playing. I've been thinking about Ulmer a lot recently when watching Toppin play. Not identical players but I notice some similarities with their pure athleticism at least.
Since you're from New Haven, you must have heard stories about my favorite Ram, Jiggy. And his brother Super John and Bruce Campbell and Wilbur Cross.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Ulmer still one of my all-time favorite Rams. Always had a special place for him and Cothran since I am from New Haven to. Nice to see he is still playing. I've been thinking about Ulmer a lot recently when watching Toppin play. Not identical players but I notice some similarities with their pure athleticism at least.
Since you're from New Haven, you must have heard stories about my favorite Ram, Jiggy. And his brother Super John and Bruce Campbell and Wilbur Cross.
I definitely remember hearing about Jiggy from people. I used to play at Cross quite a bit, but my dad was a Hillhouse guy so I was taught not to like Cross. :D
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
I definitely remember hearing about Jiggy from people. I used to play at Cross quite a bit, but my dad was a Hillhouse guy so I was taught not to like Cross. :D
Jiggy and Soup Campbell, the PC star, were classmates at Wilbur Cross. Their senior year, they were the #1 high school team in the country. URI beat out UConn for Jiggy and PC beat out UConn for Campbell. Both were huge recruits. Getting Jiggy was the beginning of Jack Kraft's great run here. Sly came two years later, also from New Haven. He played at Lee High. Back then, most of our top recruits came from CT or NYC. Fun times.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Lol typical CFL says in the end NCAA final 4 instead of NiT final 4

Come on CFL you are better than that
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Not sure who gets under my skin more, Baron or Carothers.
I was happier to see Carothers go (thought about organizing a parade down Upper College Rd), but I didnt realize how bad Baron was until we got DH.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I'm just impressed he went the entire 43 second interview without throwing a single player under the bus
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Not sure who gets under my skin more, Baron or Carothers.
I was happier to see Carothers go (thought about organizing a parade down Upper College Rd), but I didnt realize how bad Baron was until we got DH.

Carothers approved Jim Harrick.
https://apnews.com/7e62e1ec3f3300d44ae82b70e24a52d0

What were the issues you had with Carothers? And what good things do you think Carothers accomplished?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'll chime in.....2 big issues with Carothers.

He had a hand in hiring Jerry.....and approving the CFL contract for Baron.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I'll chime in.....2 big issues with Carothers.

Carothers wasn't great from an athletics standpoint, but I do think he helped to rehabilitate and improve the image of the university in general. Definitely not perfect - plenty of stories floating around about the kind of goofy and lofty ideas he had - but ultimately good overall.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I'll chime in.....2 big issues with Carothers.

Carothers wasn't great from an athletics standpoint, but I do think he helped to rehabilitate and improve the image of the university in general. Definitely not perfect - plenty of stories floating around about the kind of goofy and lofty ideas he had - but ultimately good overall.
Demon rum, begone!

Any questions?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Carothers did a relatively good job up to the time of the Y2K fracas with the Higher Ed board when in response to his objections to a budget cut, they tried to fire him. Carothers was absolutely right in that affair (Sally Dowling, the Board Chairperson, showed herself to be a small person and a snob in the controversy) and the university faculty, staff and alumni came to his defense forcing the Board to back down. Unfortunately, the affair emasculated Carothers and from then to his retirement years later, he was never the same person. It was in this time frame that he capped the Athletics budget which did big damage to the program for a time.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Lol typical CFL says in the end NCAA final 4 instead of NiT final 4

Come on CFL you are better than that
Baron was there for the combination of two program celebrations - the 50th year celebration of St. Bonaventure's 1970 NCAA Final-4 Team that had Bob Lanier and a celebration of 100 years of basketball at the school. Many SBU alums from across the years came back for these events. Baron was a member of the 1977 NIT Champion Team, he still has deep connections to the school having played there four years and coached nine years. As coach, he led the school to its first NCAA tournament in 20+ years in 2000. The 50th Final-4 anniversary portion of things garnered the majority of attention at the event as most all the remaining living members of that team were in attendance.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Does anyone else remember it this way? I don’t.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Does anyone else remember it this way? I don’t.
yeah, me either

I remember a lot of stress, anger, frustration w/teams that were talented but lacked any coaching (adjustments, rotations, etc.)

The crash n burn with a few of those seasons totally pissed me off, with a dumb confused look on his face
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Baron did yeomans work in his first few years in quickly getting us out of a mountain sized landslide brought on by JD. We fell very far, very fast, from the highs of the 97-99 Harrick years. Within 12-18 months he had us playing meaningful games again. He also brought some really good talent to Kingston - Dawan, Jimmy Jr, Delroy, Cothran, Will Daniels, Seawright, Ulmer all have their place in Rhody lore. But for those rosters from 2006-10 to never have sniffed an NCAA game is a major blemish, at least 2 and maybe even 3 of those rosters were NCAA level.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oh my bad 50th anniversary of their final 4 team makes sense then . They had a final 4 team and NIT championship in the 70s
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Baron did yeomans work in his first few years in quickly getting us out of a mountain sized landslide brought on by JD. We fell very far, very fast, from the highs of the 97-99 Harrick years. Within 12-18 months he had us playing meaningful games again. He also brought some really good talent to Kingston - Dawan, Jimmy Jr, Delroy, Cothran, Will Daniels, Seawright, Ulmer all have their place in Rhody lore. But for those rosters from 2006-10 to never have sniffed an NCAA game is a major blemish, at least 2 and maybe even 3 of those rosters were NCAA level.
Yeah - The disappointment of those teams that should have been dancing, and the ugliness of the final year or two, does obscure that things seemed pretty good a couple years in. Baron -was- good at getting guys with minimal to average talent to play their best, but there were too many other deficiencies for long-term success here.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Am I missing something obvious- what is VAL?

SGreenwell
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 4 years ago Am I missing something obvious- what is VAL?
Seems like an efficiency stat, similar to PER and what not.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago
yeah, me either

I remember a lot of stress, anger, frustration w/teams that were talented but lacked any coaching (adjustments, rotations, etc.)

The crash n burn with a few of those seasons totally pissed me off, with a dumb confused look on his face
Are we really going to hang our hat on the fact that a coach was better than a glorified agent riding a 19 year olds coat tails?

This has been covered numerous times but to treat the Baron tenure as anything other than a colossal disappointment that set this program back 20 years is delusional.

We could have been Xavier. Or Temple. Or Dayton.

We had the same pedigree, national cache, and buzz as those programs in our conference by 2000 - and opened the best facility in the A10 under his watch.

The right coach could’ve righted the ship after 2 years of Jerry D. Instead we threw a ticker tape parade for the guy who kept us underwater but thought it was great because we werent on the bottom.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago
yeah, me either

Are we really going to hang our hat on the fact that a coach was better than a glorified agent riding a 19 year olds coat tails?

This has been covered numerous times but to treat the Baron tenure as anything other than a colossal disappointment that set this program back 20 years is delusional.

We could have been Xavier. Or Temple. Or Dayton.

We had the same pedigree, national cache, and buzz as those programs in our conference by 2000 - and opened the best facility in the A10 under his watch.

The right coach could’ve righted the ship after 2 years of Jerry D. Instead we threw a ticker tape parade for the guy who kept us underwater but thought it was great because we werent on the bottom.
+ double infinity!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The longer I've watched basketball, the more I've grown to understand just how bad Baron was.

Just think about how talented those 3 teams that choked were.

They were probably better than every Hurley team other than his two tournament teams.

Everyone on those teams played professionally except for Will Martell and Will was a very serviceable seven footer, who I would take on this current team in a heartbeat. He definitely could have played professionally.

I've never seen teams be so good early NEVER get better and completely fall apart like they would.

The lack of defense and adjustments makes no sense. No set plays really either.

There's no way in hell a 19-3 Dan Hurley or David Cox coached team would ever play their way out of the tournament like they would.

The 08/09 team almost played their way in, but couldn't beat a one dimensional Derek Kellogg no defense 12-18 UMass team that we had beaten by double digits in their building.

On senior day!

Jimmy Baron and Kaheim Seawright!

Howww is that possible???

Then the next year the team only decided to play once we made it to the NIT.

Glad they collapsed though, otherwise we might still have CFL.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

giovanni
Carlton Owens

JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Christian Thompson scores 20, including 11-12 from the line, with 9 rebounds, plays 38 minutes, and Tulane defeats Cincinnati yesterday. Talk about things you thought you never see.
By the way, for those of you concerned about depth with an eight man rotation, Tulane basically played six players. An eight man rotation is fine if we have no injuries. Only two of them being guards, that’s another story.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I wish we could’ve kept CT. Another senior playing for his future.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He would have played a lot this season, after what's happened.

And we could have used him big time. Even though he wasn't very good shooting the 3, he could have helped a lot of other ways.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Jared Terrell left Israeli team to play in the Ukraine....why??

EC Matthews was listed playing earlier for the Erie Bay Hawks, but no longer, as of last week, shows up on the roster?
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I figured this was the place to put it since it's about a former player. Does anyone think these two look alike? Derrick Henry/Kahiem Seawright. I just showed their pictures to my wife and she agreed.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What a shame
GO RAMS
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago
What a shame
But I think he got picked up by the Raptors 905
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Damn, EC goes from showing up on ESPNs mock draft as a first round pick before his injury to barely even playing in the G League.

What could have been for that kid ...
Go Rhody
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Damn, EC goes from showing up on ESPNs mock draft as a first round pick before his injury to barely even playing in the G League.

What could have been for that kid ...
It might not have all been the injury. Kellen Grady was a major prospect after his Fr year and is slipping every year.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Biruta is back from injury and playing in Lithuania again.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Four in his 4th year in Spain
DAC31EE8-A9D3-48B7-B5A5-EA8108D9C330.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
giovanni
Carlton Owens