David Cox officially let go by URI (formerly, "Fire Cox")

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
class of 86
Marc Upshaw

Re: FIRE COX

Unread post by class of 86 »

Anyone know why pc never rescheduled @creighton and @ seton hall and home for conn?talk about lucky ...winning the crown after only playing 17 games..after Villanova on Tuesday that is.They have no games scheduled after that so they get a one week hiatus before the bige tournament starts?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Last I heard it was down to 5....? Me and you, we could cover that, right?
Unfortunately he had no buyout 4 years ago
I KNOW.... but a lotta folks here, were concerned about, 'the look'...
THAT is what cost us, more than anything...with The Rick on board, we'd probably be looking at where we meet for the NCAAT, for the 3rd year in a row....
I just think he’s loyal to Iona at least for another year as that’s the only school that gave him his shot and he’s good friends with the AD
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

class of 86 wrote: 2 years ago Anyone know why pc never rescheduled @creighton and @ seton hall and home for conn?talk about lucky ...winning the crown after only playing 17 games..after Villanova on Tuesday that is.They have no games scheduled after that so they get a one week hiatus before the bige tournament starts?
Those three teams all already play on Wednesday and then Saturday. So there wasn’t flexibility to reschedule this week as is. Can’t speak to if they could have done it through January/February though.

I’ll let PC have their moment in the sun, but it is hilarious how much they refuse to acknowledge how lucky they’ve been to get here. Only played 3 of the top 6 teams in the conference once, highest Kenpom Luck rating in the country, etc.

We’ll see how it shakes out in March
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

class of 86 wrote: 2 years ago Anyone know why pc never rescheduled @creighton and @ seton hall and home for conn?talk about lucky ...winning the crown after only playing 17 games..after Villanova on Tuesday that is.They have no games scheduled after that so they get a one week hiatus before the bige tournament starts?
With make-up games, the Big East has a policy that a team cannot play three games/week in back to back weeks (6 games in 14 days). Providence’s COVID pause was later than most teams, so it was harder to reschedule those games. UConn, for example, had two games postponed on their end (12/28, 1/1) and were able to make them up in late January and early February. Two things are true for Providence- they won a lot of the games put in front of them; they were also fortunate with match-ups (injuries on other teams, only playing some top conference teams once). Providence can quiet those doubts by strong performances in the tournaments or they can just make it funnier, to me. Like I said before, I’m happy for their transfers/super seniors who got to have a good last ride.
Last edited by ace 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
With make-up games, the Big East has a policy that a team cannot play three games/week in back to back weeks (6 games in 14 days). Providence’s COVID pause was later than most teams, so it was harder to reschedule those games. Two things are true for Providence- they won a lot of the games put in front of them; they were also fortunate with match-ups (injuries on other teams, only playing some top conference teams once. Providence can quiet those doubts by strong performances in the tournaments or they can just make it funnier, to me. Like I said before, I’m happy for their transfers/super seniors who got to have a good last ride.
Also, not like PC didn’t want those games? Banged out sellouts at the Dunk?

If I’m salty it’s because I’m jealous. But good on PC. Just sad that the flagship university can’t draw eyes to the state and it’s on PC/Bryant to do so
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago

Unfortunately he had no buyout 4 years ago
I KNOW.... but a lotta folks here, were concerned about, 'the look'...
THAT is what cost us, more than anything...with The Rick on board, we'd probably be looking at where we meet for the NCAAT, for the 3rd year in a row....
I just think he’s loyal to Iona at least for another year as that’s the only school that gave him his shot and he’s good friends with the AD
as that’s the only school that gave him his shot :cry: :roll: :x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago
With make-up games, the Big East has a policy that a team cannot play three games/week in back to back weeks (6 games in 14 days). Providence’s COVID pause was later than most teams, so it was harder to reschedule those games. Two things are true for Providence- they won a lot of the games put in front of them; they were also fortunate with match-ups (injuries on other teams, only playing some top conference teams once. Providence can quiet those doubts by strong performances in the tournaments or they can just make it funnier, to me. Like I said before, I’m happy for their transfers/super seniors who got to have a good last ride.
Also, not like PC didn’t want those games? Banged out sellouts at the Dunk?

If I’m salty it’s because I’m jealous. But good on PC. Just sad that the flagship university can’t draw eyes to the state and it’s on PC/Bryant to do so
Sure, the money and energy would have been great. They also have the benefit of that 1 seed in the conference tournament without playing everybody. They’ll get Creighton or Marquette, if everything plays out as expected, while Villanova-UConn is the 2-3 matchup. One of the best things about the BE (and other similar conferences) to me is the symmetry- 11 teams all playing each other twice, home and away. I know the A10 tries to put their better teams in the position to play each other twice, but teams being better or worse than expected can mess that up.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago I've heard Thorr tell the story a couple of times now:

Shane Donaldson came in Thorr's office and put a sheet of paper with Tammi Reiss' info on it and said "This is who we should go after"
Thorr then called Tammi for a 45 minute call to explore her interest
Thorr went to Syracuse and had breakfast with Tammi regarding the job. Thorr was sold on Tammi and Tammi was sold on Thorr and URI.

Done. That quick and simple.
If I remember the story right, it was something pretty similar with Hurley. Thorr identified Hurley as the top candidate to go after, met him in a Jersey diner, and the deal was done shortly after
RR2,
I think you are right about your March 15 date - if something happens:

In 2019 when URI fired Daynia La-Force the announcement was on Tuesday March 12, 2019.
The A10 Women's Championship Game was Sunday March 10

URI was the 14th seed in the Bracket, lost to 3-Seed Duquesne 106-69 on Tuesday March 5th @ Duquesne (1st round at Campus sites)
So URI waited until the A10 Tournament was over, then announced on Tuesday March 12.

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 732216007/
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I don’t care if Pitino could take us to the Final Four. I don’t want that stink near URI.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago I don’t care if Pitino could take us to the Final Four. I don’t want that stink near URI.
Hahahahaha imagine thinking like this.
Go Rhody
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Rick is certainly polarizing, the holier than thou fans don’t seem to want him. But I’m sure none of them could cast the first stone. I doubt they would not celebrate another Sweet 16 or Elite 8 run if he was coach.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago I don’t care if Pitino could take us to the Final Four. I don’t want that stink near URI.
Like you actually want people to believe you wouldn’t be excited if Pitino led us to the Final Four.

You’re straight up lying when you say that, and we all know it. You know it too.

This is what I mean when I continue to say people are miserable because they choose to be miserable.
Go Rhody
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This is sports, not Sunday school. People don’t like it when they get to see the sausage made, but they sure like the taste. I’m not saying I want someone to come in and breaking all the rules and get us on probation. I just don’t like it when people pretend everything is and should be squeaky clean, and they would not be happy with success by someone who had past issues. Everyone has had past issues.
Last edited by RIFan 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Pitino is scum. Any school that hires him has ZERO standards and self respect. Sames goes for anyone that wants him here.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Pitino is scum. Any school that hires him has ZERO standards and self respect. Sames goes for anyone that wants him here.
Another miserable human being who is lying to all of us saying he wouldn’t enjoy a deep Rhody run in the tournament!! All because of Pitino!

Let’s hire Cranston West’s head coach! Or La Salle! Or Hendricken!

Squeaky clean coaches who have zero chance to win here!
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I wouldn’t go that far…

Do you think Iona regrets the hire?

Does Kentucky regret the hire of a guy who left a trail of schools in NCAA hot water?

RF1, feels very strongly about it and there are others as well. I just feel life is not black and white as much as we wish it were. Would be much simpler.
Last edited by RIFan 2 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Pitino is scum. Any school that hires him has ZERO standards and self respect. Sames goes for anyone that wants him here.
Another miserable human being who is lying to all of us saying he wouldn’t enjoy a deel Rhody run in the tournament!! All because of Pitino!

You thankfully do not speak for me. My definition of a miserable human being is anyone that defends someone like Pitino. You cannot get much lower than that.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
Another miserable human being who is lying to all of us saying he wouldn’t enjoy a deel Rhody run in the tournament!! All because of Pitino!

You thankfully do not speak for me. My definition of a miserable human being is anyone that defends someone like Pitino. You cannot get much lower than that.
RF1,
We’re you for or against the Harrick hire? Or neutral?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

RF1,
I don’t remember your ire when they brought in Todd Bozeman or Ty Boswell?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1,

I was ok with the Harrick hire then as it was entirely different in 1998. The only publicly known transgression that he had then was falsifying expense reports. It resulted in him being pushed out by UCLA.

The situation with Pitino in 2022 is far different as there are many known transgressions and NCAA sanctions tied to him over a period of several years. They are all far worse than falsifying expense reports.

The comparison of Pitino and Harrick is only valid if you are considering hiring them TODAY. Harrick's most egregious transgressions all happened after his 1998 hiring by URI. If either Harrick or Pitno made their interest known for the URI job today, I wouldn't even return their calls.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Why is Pitino allowed to coach and Preston is not?

This is really entertainment and as I said before I am open to all options. I just want a full Ryan and lots of wins. I’ll leave it up to Thorr to look whoever he is interviewing in the eyes and determine if he’s comfortable with them.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago Why is Pitino allowed to coach and Preston is not?

This is really entertainment and as I said before I am open to all options. I just want a full Ryan and lots of wins. I’ll leave it up to Thorr to look whoever he is interviewing in the eyes and determine if he’s comfortable with them.
…maybe because Pitino is one of the greatest coaches of all time and Preston has exactly zero wins as a head coach?

Preston is allowed to coach, nobody has hired him.
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That must be exclusively a college basketball fan thing, where you can't hire someone because they are too "dirty" as opposed to how far they can take you success wise.

If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin. Get the best coach who can go as far as possible, we all know the ride is short anyway, but sweet, in the long run.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

…maybe because Pitino is one of the greatest coaches of all time and Preston has exactly zero wins as a head coach?

My bad on Preston.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

RIFan wrote: 2 years ago

My bad on Preston.
He can coach, but there would be restrictions the hiring school would have to accept from the infractions committee, because of his show-cause penalty. His two year show-cause ends in the Summer of 2023.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Preston is serving a 2 year show cause penalty. That is why he isn't coaching.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I thought there was an ncaa reason. Thanks
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Like you actually want people to believe you wouldn’t be excited if Pitino led us to the Final Four.

You’re straight up lying when you say that, and we all know it. You know it too.

This is what I mean when I continue to say people are miserable because they choose to be miserable.
Believe what you want but I am certainly not lying. Trying to win at any cost is not part of my DNA
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Hahahahaha imagine thinking like this.
74...caster of first stones. Someone has to do it, I guess.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago

Believe what you want but I am certainly not lying. Trying to win at any cost is not part of my DNA
So you would prefer to be irrelevant, a losing program with an empty building and watch awful basketball as long as we live up to your morals and ethical ways. You probably shouldn’t be watching college basketball. Unfortunately trophies aren’t handed out to everyone at this level
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I totally get what you are saying. But you have to admit getting to the Final Four would be pretty sweet!!!!! How much would you concede forthat?
Last edited by theblueram 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

13 teams get Covid. We don't. We're in. Simple.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago 13 teams get Covid. We don't. We're in. Simple.
And the internet blew up!!!!! :lol:
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago

So you would prefer to be irrelevant, a losing program with an empty building and watch awful basketball as long as we live up to your morals and ethical ways. You probably shouldn’t be watching college basketball. Unfortunately trophies aren’t handed out to everyone at this level
Some of us teach our kids to give maximum effort, play by the rules while trying to win each and every time. And if my kids lose a game or games, then there's no shame in that. (Despite what people like you say and think.) Shake the other guy's hand and say good game (Juwan Howard).

Others will teach their kids to cheat, steal, rob, lie, etc. all in effort to get what they want. And you can teach them that if they get caught, then that's OK because the ends justified the means. So YOU choose to be miserable because you don't have the work ethic and morals to do it right. Every day, Joanne Pitino gets out of the same bed with Rick knowing she doesn't even trust her own husband and his kids know he's been a poor example as a father.

Some of us don't feel the way you do and you should respect people like us who believe that doing it the right way is most important. I'll continue to root for coaches like Izzo, Brad Stephens, Al Skinner, Tony Bennett, Matt Painter, etc. You can take your Pitino, Calipari, Sean Miller, Kelvin Sampson, Billy Gillespie, etc. and tell stories about how many NCAA investigations you've had, rules broken all in an effort to win some basketball games. If you think basketball is that important to sacrifice looking yourself in the mirror, then you guys are the miserable ones.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Thanks.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This is a false choice anyways. You don’t have to be a piece of shit human being to be a good college basketball coach. I’m not insisting that we be the squeakiest clean program that ever existed and we only can be coached by a monk who will only recruit Boy Scouts. But there’s a lot of room between that Rick Pitino. Hard pass from me then, hard pass from me now. Have some self respect and some dignity. Find someone to coach your team who can win that isn’t also the grossest human being in the sport. Winning is as important to me as anyone here, but character also matters.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
Some of us teach our kids to give maximum effort, play by the rules while trying to win each and every time. And if my kids lose a game or games, then there's no shame in that. (Despite what people like you say and think.) Shake the other guy's hand and say good game (Juwan Howard).

Others will teach their kids to cheat, steal, rob, lie, etc. all in effort to get what they want. And you can teach them that if they get caught, then that's OK because the ends justified the means. So YOU choose to be miserable because you don't have the work ethic and morals to do it right. Every day, Joanne Pitino gets out of the same bed with Rick knowing she doesn't even trust her own husband and his kids know he's been a poor example as a father.

Some of us don't feel the way you do and you should respect people like us who believe that doing it the right way is most important. I'll continue to root for coaches like Izzo, Brad Stephens, Al Skinner, Tony Bennett, Matt Painter, etc. You can take your Pitino, Calipari, Sean Miller, Kelvin Sampson, Billy Gillespie, etc. and tell stories about how many NCAA investigations you've had, rules broken all in an effort to win some basketball games. If you think basketball is that important to sacrifice looking yourself in the mirror, then you guys are the miserable ones.

I guess you didn’t enjoy having Jim Harrick as the coach in the late 1990’s? Keep your personal opinions about people to yourself.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
This is a false choice anyways. You don’t have to be a piece of shit human being to be a good college basketball coach. I’m not insisting that we be the squeakiest clean program that ever existed and we only can be coached by a monk who will only recruit Boy Scouts. But there’s a lot of room between that Rick Pitino. Hard pass from me then, hard pass from me now. Have some self respect and some dignity. Find someone to coach your team who can win that isn’t also the grossest human being in the sport. Winning is as important to me as anyone here, but character also matters.
So I’m guessing for you that Jim Harrick, Lamar Odom and Preston Murphy are the in between? I by no means like Rick Pitino as a human being or said he needs to be the next coach. We all liked Hurley, but I can tell you from what I know he is no “Boy Scout”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Tom Izzo was involved in unethical behavior during a sexual assault accusation involving one of his players. Reached out to a witness before that witness talked to police. Intimating a witness, coercing a witness, whatever you want to call it.

Guess you can no longer support him, right?
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Classic straw man fallacy. You don’t have to be scum to win.
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Classic straw man fallacy. You don’t have to be scum to win.
You don't have to be "scum" but none of the winners are "clean" like choir boys. And if they are? Then their assistants are doing the dirty work.

Someone in any consistently successful college basketball organization is doing something dirty.

The Pitino thing I feel like it's a bit overblown. Guy had an extramarital affair and was extorted, legitimately like 10-15 years ago. The woman actually went to jail for blackmail.

The paying recruits thing that actually got him hemmed up? Supposedly it was an assistant, but I seriously believe that everyone does that to some extent - especially at the P5 level.

The prostitutes' for recruits thing - a) he said he had no idea and that it would've been assistants planning those things (again, good head coaches aren't buried in recruiting), and b) are you going to pretend that there's not college groupies that follow basketball players around? That 90% of the recruits are going to ask the players about the girls on campus?

Again - I am not advocating for the guy to raise my family.

But I'm not so self-righteous that I need to pretend that my sports heroes are perfect human beings in order to gain my support. And I'm pretty sure anyone saying they wouldn't "forgive" Pitino and root for URI for a final four run is full of it.

But if you care so much about coaches being good people - why aren't you Ed Cooley fans?

Give to Rhody's NIL
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

I guess you didn’t enjoy having Jim Harrick as the coach in the late 1990’s? Keep your personal opinions about people to yourself.
You'd guess correctly. Didn't like Jim Harrick then or now. Dirty before URI, dirty at URI, and dirty after URI. I'll take an honest human being 10 out of 10 times over the Harrick's. (father and son)

By the way, somebody shared an opinion that we (the anti-Pitinos) are miserable. Guess that was OK?
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Tom Izzo was involved in unethical behavior during a sexual assault accusation involving one of his players. Reached out to a witness before that witness talked to police. Intimating a witness, coercing a witness, whatever you want to call it.

Guess you can no longer support him, right?
Tom Izzo stated what his role was in the sexual assault accusation of a player. He didn't lie about it, he didn't run from from the story. Whatever he did or didn't do would unlikely be called "unethical." (He was not the one who was being accused of sexual assault.) If anything, he was faulted for not following the proper protocol and procedures as it relates to Title IX. Can you show me where it says that he "coerced" a witness?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

You'd guess correctly. Didn't like Jim Harrick then or now. Dirty before URI, dirty at URI, and dirty after URI. I'll take an honest human being 10 out of 10 times over the Harrick's. (father and son)

By the way, somebody shared an opinion that we (the anti-Pitinos) are miserable. Guess that was OK?
I’m assuming then you wipe out all the memories of the 1998 and 1999 teams because they included Jim Harrick, Lamar Odom and Preston Murphy? You are more than welcome to not want Pitino or anyone that you’re feel isn’t up to your standards, but don’t call me out individually on ethics and saying I choose to be miserable because I don’t have work ethics and moral to do it right.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

I’m assuming then you wipe out all the memories of the 1998 and 1999 teams because they included Jim Harrick, Lamar Odom and Preston Murphy? You are more than welcome to not want Pitino or anyone that you’re feel isn’t up to your standards, but don’t call me out individually on ethics and saying I choose to be miserable because I don’t have work ethics and moral to do it right.
Well memories can't physically be wiped out...although my memory in general has faded over time with my aging. But the records and statistics can be removed from official record books.

I, along with other others, was labeled "miserable" on this board because I apparently would rather lose a few more games with a clean coach than sell myself to the devil to win more games with a dirty coach/human being.

Thank you for your welcoming. Yes, I'm more than welcome to not want Pitino. (Newsflash, me don't think he's comin' here.)

And you're more than welcome to associate and articulate your fondness for a person who cheats, lies, denies, etc. in all an effort to win some basketball games. I apologize for the reference to work ethic and morals of backing somebody like him.

Nuff said about Slick Rick. Let's move on. (ooops, my bad. I can't call him that because apparently it's an ethnic slur.)
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

I'd almost love to see the Rick Pitino hire now just to see how easily everyone clutching their pearls sticks to their guns.

Have faith though, believe in Archie!!

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

So this question ties into the concern about bringing a Pitino type to URI - If he gets caught here we are dead, like forever dead. He gets caught at Louisville or some bigger school it gets swept under the rug.

HOWEVER.....I would take Pitino in a heartbeat. I would also take Preston back. I'll take Sean Miller. I would take just about any sleazy college basketball coach who has won at a high level because they are almost all sleazy. Our shot at a GREAT, HOF level coach is to get them young, or get them after they are caught red-handed doing what 95% of other P5 coaches are doing.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

So this question ties into the concern about bringing a Pitino type to URI - If he gets caught here we are dead, like forever dead. He gets caught at Louisville or some bigger school it gets swept under the rug.

HOWEVER.....I would take Pitino in a heartbeat. I would also take Preston back. I'll take Sean Miller. I would take just about any sleazy college basketball coach who has won at a high level because they are almost all sleazy. Our shot at a GREAT, HOF level coach is to get them young, or get them after they are caught red-handed doing what 95% of other P5 coaches are doing.
Other thing to remember - the common theme here is with those 5 star, seriously sought after recruits. That's where the dirty money is.

You almost never see the dirty antics at lower level programs because we'll NEVER have the kind of resources to go after top 25 guys consistently. If Pitino came here he wouldn't be targeting those guys.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I'd almost love to see the Rick Pitino hire now just to see how easily everyone clutching their pearls sticks to their guns.

Have faith though, believe in Archie!!
...times a gajillion. Questions for the "first stone" chuckers.... I thought there were regulations around who is eligible to coach and who isn't...

But as far as those who are eligible to coach, "who" gets to decide if "the sin is so bad he shouldn't be allowed to coach"? And, can these people ever redeem themselves, or if someone effs up, are they just written off forever? Asking for a friend (yes, same friend that was asking about "floundering dumpster fires")
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

For me with Pitino it isn’t just about any one particular thing he did. It’s a lifetime of being a weasel and a liar and a egomaniacal whiny baby. Guys can get caught up in a rat race and make a mistake and still be, at heart, a good person who made a mistake. Pitino is constitutionally incapable of being forthright; it would be literally impossible for me to believe anything that ever comes out of his mouth in any context. He’s the type of person who is, at his core, so sleazy and slimy that if I somehow were to shake his hand I’d immediately have to find a bathroom to wash mine.

The Jim Harricks and Sean Millers of the world, who are on the shadier end of the spectrum but still within the range of what is generally accepted college basketball behavior (however unfortunate that may be), don’t give me the warm and fuzzies but at the end of the day I’m a shallow hoops fan and Keaney blue-colored banners hanging in the Ryan do give me the warm and fuzzies so I make my peace with them.

Guys like Preston I honestly regard more as victims than villains - they’re trying to scrap and claw their way thru an intensely ugly and competitive industry and get caught up doing stuff they wish they didn’t have to do. To PMMM’s point, it’s not what you’d teach your kids to do, but it’s understandable on some level. Guys in that position are fall guys - they do the dirt or they’ll be replaced by someone who will, all so their boss doesn’t have to have anything splash back on him when it hits the fan. It sucks.

Pitino to me is bad in an entirely different way and in an entirely different magnitude than your run of the mill corner-cutting college basketball person. He’s like a real life piece of shit human being.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Forever?