Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Nobody said Rhode Island. Check out some of the southern states.
Nobody asked about places where I'm not going to see a basketball game either. Are we supposed to wear support/empathy/sympathy masks for them? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the "southern states" you're referring to have lower vax rates...but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
There's no wall between New England and the south. Not sure if you know, it spreads.
Lol....what?
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Lock this topic please
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

I agree with Ramulous. It's been clearly established who is pro-vax/pro-mask and anti-mask/anti-vax.

My brain hurts....
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think the most important thing to remember is that as long as we all keep fighting with each other that should solve everything!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Nobody asked about places where I'm not going to see a basketball game either. Are we supposed to wear support/empathy/sympathy masks for them? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the "southern states" you're referring to have lower vax rates...but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
There's no wall between New England and the south. Not sure if you know, it spreads.
Lol....what?
Lol? THIS!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Lol....what?
Lol? THIS!

I'll just return the "source" volley. :roll:
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Lol....what?
Lol? THIS!

I'll just return the "source" volley. :roll:
The source is a medical expert. But keep getting your facts elsewhere.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Would you trust a medical expert in a FoxNews clip?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Would you trust a medical expert in a FoxNews clip?
Show me one.....Rand Paul, etc., do not qualify.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I guess it is political...as shown by how this Convo has devolved. May not have ever happened if Fauci didn't start out with the 'no need' "rhetoric" and then reverse course. Basically saying, depending on your motive...ok to lie.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Would you trust a medical expert in a FoxNews clip?
But go ahead and trust the dude in the stupid looking bow tie and cream colored blazer
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

But go ahead and trust the dude in the stupid looking bow tie and cream colored blazer
You mean the one who has studied infectious diseases his entire life? Yeah, why trust him....
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

You mean the one who has studied infectious diseases his entire life? Yeah, why trust him....
For this...he had a head start on no one
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ok, enough. I'm done.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ok, enough. I'm done.
Then there is this BillyBoy for a bit of topic diversion :D :D

JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago ...
High vaccination rates in the North will reduce the spread. If US can get to 90%, we'll crush COVID and halt future mutations.
I am wrong more than I am right. In this case, I hope so, since I see no way we get to 90%.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

LOL. I missed a lot on this thread. Can't believe Billyboy posted a Jim Accosta tweet. Hah. Soooooo, If only the people who got "vaxxed" gets the booster(why we need a 3rd booster in a span of 6 months has me scratching my head), how does that help anything? 3 shots in a span of 6 months and you can still get covid? Yeah, Pfizer needs to go back to the lab.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago ...
High vaccination rates in the North will reduce the spread. If US can get to 90%, we'll crush COVID and halt future mutations.
I am wrong more than I am right. In this case, I hope so, since I see no way we get to 90%.
No way we get close to 90%. We only have 53.3% of the population fully vaccinated. Daily vaccinations are at such low levels 90% is way out of reach
Best shot at herd immunity is to add in the percent who got Covid immunity from catching Covid, plus continue the slow vaccination rate

Current CDC Covid Stats for US:
People Vaccinated / % of Total Population
  • At Least One Dose - 208,024,209 (62.7%)
  • Fully Vaccinated - 177,104,652 (53.3%)
Population ≥ 12 Years of Age / % of Population ≥ 12 Years of Age
  • At Least One Dose - 207,794,794 (73.3%)
  • Fully Vaccinated - 176,972,488 (62.4%)
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago LOL. I missed a lot on this thread. Can't believe Billyboy posted a Jim Accosta tweet. Hah. Soooooo, If only the people who got "vaxxed" gets the booster(why we need a 3rd booster in a span of 6 months has me scratching my head), how does that help anything? 3 shots in a span of 6 months and you can still get covid? Yeah, Pfizer needs to go back to the lab.
What's Acosta got to do with anything? The tweet was a quote from an expert on infectious diseases and vaccines.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I have a suggestion for getting people vaccinated. Remember back in the day when we had all those cancer patients from smoking cigarettes on commercials to get people to stop smoking? Maybe if we had some media on people dying of covid might help. Just a thought. Nothing on media showing the deaths and destruction. Why is that?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago LOL. I missed a lot on this thread. Can't believe Billyboy posted a Jim Accosta tweet. Hah. Soooooo, If only the people who got "vaxxed" gets the booster(why we need a 3rd booster in a span of 6 months has me scratching my head), how does that help anything? 3 shots in a span of 6 months and you can still get covid? Yeah, Pfizer needs to go back to the lab.
What's Acosta got to do with anything? The tweet was a quote from an expert on infectious diseases and vaccines.
Hah. Just messing with you Billyboy. Thought it was funny.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I have a suggestion for getting people vaccinated. Remember back in the day when we had all those cancer patients from smoking cigarettes on commercials to get people to stop smoking? Maybe if we had some media on people dying of covid might help. Just a thought. Nothing on media showing the deaths and destruction. Why is that?
Good point. There is certainly no shortage of material/video.

The news media, politicians and Fauci spend most of their time with the masking debate.

Solution is vaccinations which get little news-talk compared to masking and “super-spreader” events.

Show less media talking about masking and show more doctors, nurses and COVID Sick patients.

It would also be interesting to know more about why nurses and nursing home workers are anti vaccine or just not getting vaccinated for whatever reason.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago I have a suggestion for getting people vaccinated. Remember back in the day when we had all those cancer patients from smoking cigarettes on commercials to get people to stop smoking? Maybe if we had some media on people dying of covid might help. Just a thought. Nothing on media showing the deaths and destruction. Why is that?
Where I work, if you smoke, you pay an extra $300 a year for health insurance. But, if you're not vaxxed by 10/31...yer fired.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

The news media, politicians and Fauci spend most of their time with the masking debate.

Solution is vaccinations which get little news-talk compared to masking and “super-spreader” events.

Show less media talking about masking and show more doctors, nurses and COVID Sick patients.

It would also be interesting to know more about why nurses and nursing home workers are anti vaccine or just not getting vaccinated for whatever reason.
Maybe HIPAA has something to do with it? Can't exactly just show up at a hospital and shove a camera in people's faces and involuntarily broadcast to the world how they're dying from Covid. I've seen plenty of people agree to go on CNN to share their story about how they got Covid while sitting in their hospital bed on oxygen barely able to muster the strength to speak loud enough for the microphones to pick up the audio. As a matter of fact, not 20 minutes ago they had a woman from a KY hospital talking about how Covid spread throughout her family because of gatherings and a refusal to get vaccinated.

And to be clear, there is no snark intended in this post - genuinely suggesting that HIPAA could be preventing the news from being able to show the devastation in ICUs across the nation.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago

Maybe HIPAA has something to do with it? Can't exactly just show up at a hospital and shove a camera in people's faces and involuntarily broadcast to the world how they're dying from Covid. I've seen plenty of people agree to go on CNN to share their story about how they got Covid while sitting in their hospital bed on oxygen barely able to muster the strength to speak loud enough for the microphones to pick up the audio. As a matter of fact, not 20 minutes ago they had a woman from a KY hospital talking about how Covid spread throughout her family because of gatherings and a refusal to get vaccinated.

And to be clear, there is no snark intended in this post - genuinely suggesting that HIPAA could be preventing the news from being able to show the devastation in ICUs across the nation.
Good point Kyle.
Biden to speak today. This article from NY Times and required from Boston Globe.

As discussed here recently, vaccinations are the key. More focus on vaccinations is needed. Need less discussion on the controversial masking, non-masking that seems to dominate the news.

New York Times
President Joe Biden is expected on Thursday to detail his administration’s plan to put pressure on private businesses, federal agencies and schools to enact stricter vaccination mandates and testing policies as the Delta variant continues its spread across the United States, pushing the country’s daily average caseload over 150,000 for the first time since late January, overwhelming hospitals in hard-hit areas and killing roughly 1,500 people a day.

Biden, who was briefed by his team of coronavirus advisers on Wednesday afternoon, is set to deliver a speech at 5 p.m. Eastern time that will address about six areas where his administration can encourage — or, at this point, push — more eligible Americans to receive vaccines, according to the White House. Officials offered few specifics, stressing that the plan was still coming together, but its underlying driver is the conviction that the only way to return to some sense of normalcy in the country is to get as many people vaccinated as possible.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Provide incentives...get vaxxed-
-Get $100
-Be entered for a chance to win xxxx
-No mask required (the only reason I got it, and if it's not part of the deal with any booster...not happening)

It's free and "plenty of good seats (appointments) available" as it is already. Just about everyone that wants to get it has. Not going to have a much higher rate than we do now without incentives. And they seem willing to throw cash around...so, get it done.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago Provide incentives...get vaxxed-
-Get $100
-No mask required (the only reason I got it, and if it's not part of the deal with any booster...not happening)

It's free and "plenty of good seats (appointments) available" as it is already. Just about everyone that wants to get it has. Not going to have a much higher rate than we do now without incentives. And they seem willing to throw cash around...so, get it done.
Eh, the incentives aren't having much of an effect on vaccination rates here in the south. I suspect that - to the delight of several on this thread, I'm sure - The Market is going to take care of the problem, if anything. Refuse to get vaccinated? You're going to find it harder to find employment, to attend events, or, you're going to pay extra for insurance.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

As REM put it so well....It's the end of the world as we know it...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
-Get $100

Eh, the incentives aren't having much of an effect on vaccination rates here in the south. I suspect that - to the delight of several on this thread, I'm sure - The Market is going to take care of the problem, if anything. Refuse to get vaccinated? You're going to find it harder to find employment, to attend events, or, you're going to pay extra for insurance.
I can’t believe de Blasio’s incentive of free Shake Shack fries didn’t do it back in May.

It costs tremendous money to have a person in the hospital for months and then put on ventilators. Why not take some of the $1.2 trillion and the Upcoming $3.5 trillion or other money and give it to people to get vaccinated? It’s costing trillions in medical care, unemployment, business losses in hotels, restaurants, flights, cruises, conventions, etc.
put an end to this. Give $200 for the 1st vaccine then $800 for the 2nd, $500 for the booster. Or more.
Give tax breaks for vaccinated.
Make people pay their own hospital bills if they decline vaccination.

In my day we had to get polio, small pox, chicken pox, measles, etc. no questions, no religious exemptions, you just did it.

French fries. Good grief. And to think this is a key leader thinking such a thing could actually work. French fries are not even healthy.

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio tempts New Yorkers with free fries: "Mmm, vaccinations"
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago
-Get $100

I can’t believe de Blasio’s incentive of free Shake Shack fries didn’t do it back in May.

It costs tremendous money to have a person in the hospital for months and then put on ventilators. Why not take some of the $1.2 trillion and the Upcoming $3.5 trillion or other money and give it to people to get vaccinated? It’s costing trillions in medical care, unemployment, business losses in hotels, restaurants, flights, cruises, conventions, etc.
put an end to this. Give $200 for the 1st vaccine then $800 for the 2nd, $500 for the booster. Or more.
Give tax breaks for vaccinated.
Make people pay their own hospital bills if they decline vaccination.

In my day we had to get polio, small pox, chicken pox, measles, etc. no questions, no religious exemptions, you just did it.

French fries. Good grief. And to think this is a key leader thinking such a thing could actually work. French fries are not even healthy.

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio tempts New Yorkers with free fries: "Mmm, vaccinations"
Probably get more takers with a pack of smokes?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UMASS cancels tailgating for Saturday’s game

https://amherstwire.com/37129/campus/um ... ll-season/
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago UMASS cancels tailgating for Saturday’s game

https://amherstwire.com/37129/campus/um ... ll-season/
Interesting...sounds like students can't tailgate, but others can? But it's ok to pack the stadium. Makes sense.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Common sense is not common.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyRams12 wrote: 2 years ago
Fun things in life that we used to enjoy are cancelled until "no one has any freeking idea..."

Over/under on when bars and restaurants are closed again - 10/15.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Oh boy
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI is probably looking locally - Brown, with nearly ALL students and employees vaccinated, has seen an outbreak with 82 new cases in the last week. The students have not even been back for two weeks yet as classes only started Sept 8th. The school has enacted new restrictions that include a pause to indoor dining, limiting social gatherings to no more than 5 people indoors or outdoors, and increasing testing for undergraduate students.

New restrictions at Brown University due to rise in COVID-19 cases
https://www.abc6.com/brown-implementing ... trictions/
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago URI is probably looking locally - Brown, with nearly ALL students and employees vaccinated, has seen an outbreak with 82 new cases in the last week. The students have not even been back for two weeks yet as classes only started Sept 8th. The school has enacted new restrictions that include a pause to indoor dining, limiting social gatherings to no more than 5 people indoors or outdoors, and increasing testing for undergraduate students.

New restrictions at Brown University due to rise in COVID-19 cases
https://www.abc6.com/brown-implementing ... trictions/
Full remote classes by 10/1?
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Fun things in life that we used to enjoy are cancelled until "no one has any freeking idea..."

1. Bars and restaurants won't be closed again. That was originally done in the early stages of the pandemic because we had no other mitigation strategies and didn't have enough information on the transmission of the virus and the effects of it.

2. If crowded bars, restaurants, dining halls, concerts, and crowded sporting events are some of the driving factors behind a COVID Delta surge (which leads to filling up ICU's), what do you suggest be done? Nothing, pretend that everything is OK, and proceed as normal just because you're tired of the virus?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with PMM. The "don't do anything to mitigate risk" crowd mystifies me. It seems there is large spread acceptance to avoid remote schooling or shutting down businesses which is why mask and vax mandates are becoming more stringent. I attended an in arena basketball game filled with people for NBA Playoffs when virus prevalence was very low in Spring. Once we get back to those levels these restrictions can ease; it's not that hard. Most experts seem to think Delta has peaked and will start to regress slowly over time, let's hope by hoops season mask mandates can be lifted. Regardless I will be at as many games as plausible it's been way too long.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago

1. Bars and restaurants won't be closed again. That was originally done in the early stages of the pandemic because we had no other mitigation strategies and didn't have enough information on the transmission of the virus and the effects of it.

2. If crowded bars, restaurants, dining halls, concerts, and crowded sporting events are some of the driving factors behind a COVID Delta surge (which leads to filling up ICU's), what do you suggest be done? Nothing, pretend that everything is OK, and proceed as normal just because you're tired of the virus?
This stuff is going nowhere. A six pack says full remote classes by 10/1. In?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm guessing you support Trump's COVID theory.....Ignore it and it will go away....by Easter.....when the warm weather comes......on Nov. 6th.....etc....
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'm guessing you support Trump's COVID theory.....Ignore it and it will go away....by Easter.....when the warm weather comes......on Nov. 6th.....etc....
Nope, pretty much the opposite. This is never going away. If every man, woman and child were miraculously vaccinated tomorrow...and we all stayed home, wearing double masks inside (for whatever silly timeframe you want to choose) this isn't going away.

What do you think? How does this end?

(Nice that you're trying to politicize it...but not sure that helps)
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Nope, pretty much the opposite. This is never going away. If every man, woman and child were miraculously vaccinated tomorrow...and we all stayed home, wearing double masks inside (for whatever silly timeframe you want to choose) this isn't going away.

Are you telling me that Trump was wrong!!! :o
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It doesn't go away, but it goes from being a pandemic to becoming endemic. It becomes more seasonal akin to the flu. Vaccines are effective but not 100% effective nothing is. More therapeutics and treatment advances help, affordable at home testing is available to everyone, it still kills people but in much smaller quantities whereas life can continue largely as we knew it.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago

It doesn't go away, but it goes from being a pandemic to becoming endemic. It becomes more seasonal akin to the flu. Vaccines are effective but not 100% effective nothing is. More therapeutics and treatment advances help, affordable at home testing is available to everyone, it still kills people but in much smaller quantities whereas life can continue largely as we knew it.
"Like the flu"???? Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?
I thought people that likened this to the flu were nutjobs? But let's say you're not one...when does that happen? What are the markers? Who gets to decide?

Billyboy....not sure what Trump has to do with this, but I do find the bait attempt amusing. ;)
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I thought people that likened this to the flu were nutjobs? But let's say you're not one...when does that happen? What are the markers? Who gets to decide?

Billyboy....not sure what Trump has to do with this, but I do find the bait attempt amusing. ;)
Very unfortunately for everyone, Trump has A LOT to do with this. I'll just leave it at that. End of political talk.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I hope it's the scientists working for the various agencies under the HHS who spent their entire professional lives studying virology and immunology.

When left to the Facebook doctors, you have dopes ingesting horse paste. I surely don't want them making the determination on when this pandemic is under control and life can resume at pre-covid normalcy.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago

I hope it's the scientists working for the various agencies under the HHS who spent their entire professional lives studying virology and immunology.

When left to the Facebook doctors, you have dopes ingesting horse paste. I surely don't want them making the determination on when this pandemic is under control and life can resume at pre-covid normalcy.
Hope is an awesome thing to have...all there is at this point, as there is clearly no plan.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Unfortunately large portions of people of every political persuasion seek out the "news" that validates their thinking rather than news that is fact based as much as possible, and think the other side is politicizing everything while they're just being level headed, pragmatic, and following the facts. That's one thing on a sports message board which ultimately is harmless, but is no way for society to run properly. It really makes you wonder if this country is capable of coming together the way we did in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 under current conditions. The pandemic should have been able to do that but it's revealed and created even more divisiveness
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines