1/4 | Fordham | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Re: 1/4 | Fordham | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by RJRam »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Lol do people actually not know where I sit? I had figured I had no anonymity.

That's fine, I don't need DC Rams knowing where I am and coming to fight me with his keyboard.

If I remember, the quote was - "No one paid to watch you referee. Do you understand how terrible you are? You're awful at your jobs, call this right, some of us want to go home and get to bed." It was a shocking silence in the Ryan Center - no idea why it was that quiet, and most of the time I can be a bit on the loud side.

If refs are going to make games all about themselves (and this was the 2nd worst officiated game I've ever seen, behind WVU at Mohegan), they should be required to give a press conference after every game.
Didn’t realize it was you fair enough 😂
Great job Blue Man! It was classic!

I don’t really think the game was any more one sided than the other. I’ve yet to go back and watch it on ESPN+ but I thought Quinseberry got hit on the 3P he made
There was one play where Samb made a bone jarring foul above the top of the key that I found odd no Ref saw it. Even Samb looked bewildered that it wasn’t called.
Another call Carey clearly traveled moving his feet about 5 ministeps in the lane.
Thomas got mugged a couple times rebounding inside as did Leggett.
The Technical fouls are understandable to get the game under control but the fact it needed control begs a question.
I think the bad calls were even but the refs had a bad overall game
Clear as a bell across the Ryan Center in 213. Good job Blue Man.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I could hear heckling on TV but couldn’t understand what was said. Next time yell louder for TV.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

IMO the Tchikou tech was warranted, he pushed the ball into the kids face and in this day and age where they call everything with little leniency that is getting called 99% of time. There also was an absolute horrendous charge call (in our favor) where Tchikou was literally beat and had no angle and slid over and literally bumped the big white kid on Fordham and they called a charge on Fordham. It was an egregious call and one of the worst charge calls I've ever seen.

I thought the call on Bray when Quisenberry landed on his foot and fell was BS. Bray didn't invade his space and the shooter had ample space to land if he didn't kick his feet out in front of himself.

All in all I thought the whistle wasn't great but it went both ways. But I am very rarely a guy who gets on the officials bc they generally miss calls for both teams pretty equally.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Bill Koch wrote: 1 year ago
PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago Announcers will get better as games and years go on. They will grow with the team. Better and better talent will come along. Listen on Varsity if it’s too much. It’s not hard to sync audio with the video. Problem solved. Win-Win. GoRhody!
I wish I shared your optimism. Our student announcers are incapable of diagnosing basic plays; repeatedly use cliches that were outdated half a century ago; mistakenly say there are "6 minutes left in the game" instead of 6 seconds; misidentify players and TEAMS. Their ineptitude is an embarrassment to whatever department at the University is responsible for teaching them how to become competent announcers.

Compare their inept performance to the UMass student broadcasters for today's Lady Rams game. These two young men had intelligent analysis, articulate delivery and an ability to accurately describe plays as they were unfolding.

Jim Cain is one of the play-by-play voices for the Worcester Red Sox. He's young but by no means a student.
https://twitter.com/_jimcain

Nathan Strauss is a recent UMass graduate who has done and will continue to do extensive work in minor league baseball. He's also young but no longer a student -- essentially their version of Stone Freeman.
https://twitter.com/NathanPStrauss?ref_ ... r%5Eauthor
Thanks for the info Bill. They look young enough to be students. I found them to be extremely knowledgeable and composed. As opposed to our broadcasters, who reflect poorly on whichever department thought it was a good idea to force them on us.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I'll say it again: Win and the world wins with you, lose and you lose alone.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago IMO the Tchikou tech was warranted, he pushed the ball into the kids face and in this day and age where they call everything with little leniency that is getting called 99% of time. There also was an absolute horrendous charge call (in our favor) where Tchikou was literally beat and had no angle and slid over and literally bumped the big white kid on Fordham and they called a charge on Fordham. It was an egregious call and one of the worst charge calls I've ever seen.

I thought the call on Bray when Quisenberry landed on his foot and fell was BS. Bray didn't invade his space and the shooter had ample space to land if he didn't kick his feet out in front of himself.

All in all I thought the whistle wasn't great but it went both ways. But I am very rarely a guy who gets on the officials bc they generally miss calls for both teams pretty equally.
Loved that from Tchikou. Here's a ball sammich for ya!!!!!!!
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Here, maybe this could help you do that?

DVR (Digital-Video-Recorder) is a set-top box with a built-in hard drive for recording your favorite television shows and movies. Unlike a VCR, a DVR set-top box can record programs in HD (High-Definition), schedule series recordings, and record multiple programs at once.
Its 2022. You can replay it on espn+ without doing anything
RhodySurf, don’t mess around. I didn’t get enough sleep last night. It’s 2023, isn’t it? :lol:
Hahahahahahaha I didn’t even realize
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago IMO the Tchikou tech was warranted, he pushed the ball into the kids face and in this day and age where they call everything with little leniency that is getting called 99% of time. There also was an absolute horrendous charge call (in our favor) where Tchikou was literally beat and had no angle and slid over and literally bumped the big white kid on Fordham and they called a charge on Fordham. It was an egregious call and one of the worst charge calls I've ever seen.

That charge call was terrible…

And rather than post twice in a row, I’ll just add here to BM’s post: the mohegan wvu game was insane…
I had court seats and was SCREAMING at the refs by the 10’ mark.
I thought they were going to call 100 fouls!!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Some nice highlights.

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I don''t know how many here remember, but the worst refereed game was down in Florida in the mid-70's.
I was at the game over winter break withe some frat brothers and Jack Kraft pulled his team off the court in the 2nd half and forfeited the game.He said he didn't want to risk injury to his players because the refs weren't calling any fouls on the home team.

It was an ugly scene at the time and made national TV sports news.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago

And rather than post twice in a row, I’ll just add here to BM’s post: the mohegan wvu game was insane…
The first half took 90 mins.

And the refs had the audacity to toss me.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

You got tossed?
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

“That’s what Billy Lange is doing” - this might be another hall of fame comment
25% of URI's FGA are treys, while at St Joe's it is 45%.
NCAAs or Bust!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago

It doesn't matter so much when you're allowing teams to shoot a whopping 52.2 percent from 2-point range. Also, because St. Joe's only shoots 3s at a 32.9 percent clip, it doesn't open up the inside in the slightest. They're shooting 48.6 percent from 2, which is 265th overall, according to Sports Reference. That site also has their offensive rating at 252 overall. Maybe Lange manages to eek out a .500 record this year, but this is year four for him and things seem pretty bad.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And how’s that working out for them. Please just stop.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago The fan who went on a extended rant from 205 area was hilarious. I was upstairs and heard it clearly.

Pack line was generally solid especially early. Extended practice time has helped this group. Freeman was tossing a bagel for most of the game but kept positive and let the game flow.

DQ is probably the best player I’ve seen in person this year he’ll make a lot of money as a pro somewhere. His play in 2nd half dribbling baseline and back across the paint was just ridiculously good. Hit some pressure circus shots late too and crushed it from the foul line.

Good thing we’re not featuring high post offense sets because we don’t have a big who can handle the ball top of the key.
We did have open shots all night as we have all season. If we make em at the rate we did last night things could get positive.

We shall see how it goes in Philadelphia this weekend hopefully the improvement continues.
that play in which DQ dribbles baseline and comes across,the paint is a routine play for him. Very effective. Always wondered,if Fatts would not have been very effective,if He tried it.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

It did come from 205, came from the guy the row in front of me, he’s on the board I know, I’ll let him come forward but the applause he got afterwards was the icing on the cake for me
Lol do people actually not know where I sit? I had figured I had no anonymity.

That's fine, I don't need DC Rams knowing where I am and coming to fight me with his keyboard.

If I remember, the quote was - "No one paid to watch you referee. Do you understand how terrible you are? You're awful at your jobs, call this right, some of us want to go home and get to bed." It was a shocking silence in the Ryan Center - no idea why it was that quiet, and most of the time I can be a bit on the loud side.

If refs are going to make games all about themselves (and this was the 2nd worst officiated game I've ever seen, behind WVU at Mohegan), they should be required to give a press conference after every game.
Didn’t realize it was you fair enough 😂
I couldn't clearly understand it, but less than halfway thru, when I sonared in on the section and got a visual, I thought, that has to be...
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

You got tossed?
WVU game at Mohegan. Not last night lol.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I don''t know how many here remember, but the worst refereed game was down in Florida in the mid-70's.
I was at the game over winter break withe some frat brothers and Jack Kraft pulled his team off the court in the 2nd half and forfeited the game.He said he didn't want to risk injury to his players because the refs weren't calling any fouls on the home team.

Never heard about that who was the opponent??
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I don''t know how many here remember, but the worst refereed game was down in Florida in the mid-70's.

January 14, 1976 at South Florida. Kraft pulled his team off the floor with about 6 minutes left in the game

We had lost AT Jacksonville two days earlier.
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

I could hear you in the last row of 305, just below the president’s suite.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

January 14, 1976 at South Florida. Kraft pulled his team off the floor with about 6 minutes left in the game

Really good memory Ramster, that year Stan and Jiggy led the team , Sly was the next year
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Really good memory Ramster, that year Stan and Jiggy led the team , Sly was the next year
Jiggy and Stan were Sophomores that year. Correct, Sly came the next season. This was Kraft’s 3rd year when the South Florida forfeit occurred.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I was also courtside that game - I was pleading with...literally begging... Brian O'Connell (silver-haired ref we see a lot) to take hair gel's whistle away from him because he wasn't fit to have a whistle.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jiggy and Stan were Sophomores that year. Correct, Sly came the next season. This was Kraft’s 3rd year when the South Florida forfeit occurred.
The final straw was when Jiggy was breaking up court with the ball near the sidelines and a South Florida player ran right in front of him (obviously moving) and practically knocking Jiggy down out of bounds. The ref called an offensive foul on Jiggy and Kraft had enough at that point. As he took the players off the court and into the locker room, I think it was Carleton Smith who was so upset at the situation, he took the ball and heaved it into the stands.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The West Virginia game was the worst officiated game I've ever seen. It was to the point where I was pissed off when they were calling fouls on them, never mind the ones they called on us. Fordham the other night was getting to that point
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The Quisenberry flop was the worst I've ever seen. The second time that wasn't called was just as bad. Pretty embarrassing for a talented player.
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Do we know the names of those officials in the Fordham game? I recall years back where Roady Jay kinda listed officials for our games, don’t recall the source.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

My god we won the game.

Tchkiou bounced the ball off another players head. That is a T 10/10 times.

The refs were fine. Not terrible by any means. Every ref misses a call or two a game.
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago My god we won the game.

The refs were fine. Not terrible by any means. Every ref misses a call or two a game.
They were dumpster juice for and against both sides
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Do we know the names of those officials in the Fordham game? I recall years back where Roady Jay kinda listed officials for our games, don’t recall the source.
Jeremy Mosier, Tony Crisp, and Raymie Styons. Listed in the box score after each game
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago My god we won the game.

They were dumpster juice for and against both sides
That was a quintessential game where the refs inserted themselves. 47 fouls. I didn't get home until 945. We typically get home at 915. There was no traffic. There were 30 minutes of additional gametime thanks to poor officiating.

I'm not saying it was for or against either team, it was pro-referee which is my problem.

They called it inconsistent not in terms of the teams, but the fouls themselves. The same players doing the same things - were fouls and then weren't. See Quisenberry's 2nd flop.

They weren't confident in what they were doing - see the flop call on URI immediately after calling the flop on Fordham. A "see coach, we call it both ways" type thing.

They were a poor referees individually and a poor team together.

Guys were out of position. Guys that were right next to plays were getting shown up by the ref 30 feet away. The most out of shape ref was trying to see through players to call things he THINKS was happening instead of what he was seeing.

Iona NIT is a close 3rd as was mentioned. But this was a top 2 horrendously officiated game that I've ever witnessed.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago The Quisenberry flop was the worst I've ever seen. The second time that wasn't called was just as bad. Pretty embarrassing for a talented player.
The loudest I've heard the RC all season was the 2000 people in attendance booing him after the flop on defense. it was comical at that point.
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Samb has potential. If he can get stronger he has a nice offensive game.
Yup, said this about 3 games in.

More offensively polished than Cyril and Hassan at this point in their respective careers.
Agree with you on Cyril but no way on Hassan.
Hassan was putting up 20-25 ppg in the PSAL his senior year. Threes, dunks, mid range.
He obviously got more polished over time but he was not nearly as raw as Cyril was.
Ya Cyril had bad hands his freshman year but he would just outwork people and keep getting offensive rebounds until he finished. Man I miss Cyril.. Hass definitely had a more polished game.

As for Samb, I was surprised at how good he looked on the offensive end against Quinnipiac and Texas St.. He was also one of the better players against PC. I hope he sticks around because I think he could be a good A10 player. Jersey predicted that before any of us. Great call.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

More offensively polished than Cyril and Hassan at this point in their respective careers.
Hassan was putting up 20-25 ppg in the PSAL his senior year. Threes, dunks, mid range.
He obviously got more polished over time but he was not nearly as raw as Cyril was.
Ya Cyril had bad hands his freshman year but he would just outwork people and keep getting offensive rebounds until he finished. Man I miss Cyril.. Hass definitely had a more polished game.

As for Samb, I was surprised at how good he looked on the offensive end against Quinnipiac and Texas St.. He was also one of the better players against PC. I hope he sticks around because I think he could be a good A10 player. Jersey predicted that before any of us. Great call.
Thanks Stevey, just hope he plays up to what I felt he was capable of.
You never know, but I did like him as a recruit.
I think his injury senior season cost him in his recruitment.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He has a nice little pick and pop mid range game.
GO RAMS
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
It doesn't matter so much when you're allowing teams to shoot a whopping 52.2 percent from 2-point range. Also, because St. Joe's only shoots 3s at a 32.9 percent clip, it doesn't open up the inside in the slightest. They're shooting 48.6 percent from 2, which is 265th overall, according to Sports Reference. That site also has their offensive rating at 252 overall. Maybe Lange manages to eek out a .500 record this year, but this is year four for him and things seem pretty bad.
I am suggesting this strategy for URI this year, not as a long term strategy. We have no inside game this year and I don't believe we can win many games without good shooting of treys. I don't see us winning any more than 2-3 more games without better offensive output. Good outside shooting "and good defense" can get us more wins. Having the four players I've named taking open threes at every opportunity, particularly before the defense gets set, will lead to fewer turnovers and more rebounds as well. I see this as the best strategy for this team this year winning more games.
NCAAs or Bust!
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago

He has a nice little pick and pop mid range game.
My memory of Hassan does not have him developing a mid range game until his Junior and Senior years. However Hassan's strength gave him a much better game around the basket in his early years. When defenders start to guard Samb away from the basket, I believe he will have a more difficult time until he improves his strength. IMO he really needs strength. Then confidence and an inside-outside game will follow. He could develop into a real player.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Samb does have a nice little touch from 15 feet and in and seems to shoot his FTs decently

Hope he stays also
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I think he has enough upside (although I don’t think he will be 1st team A10 caliber unless his trajectory changes) and will have experience in Archie’s system to be a good piece on an upper echelon A10 team.

I like his game but he could use more beef.

That said, my uncertainty level is heightened (but not just for Samb) due to the portal and not knowing if we may end up adding a big man upgrade or two that changes playing time expectations.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
I am suggesting this strategy for URI this year, not as a long term strategy. We have no inside game this year and I don't believe we can win many games without good shooting of treys. I don't see us winning any more than 2-3 more games without better offensive output. Good outside shooting "and good defense" can get us more wins. Having the four players I've named taking open threes at every opportunity, particularly before the defense gets set, will lead to fewer turnovers and more rebounds as well. I see this as the best strategy for this team this year winning more games.
You basically want us to turn into Bryant midway through the season. First open shot over half court jack it up.
We would literally lose every game by 50. Great troll job or a hall of fame awful take which shows zero knowledge of the game.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Yup. Just throw the system installation, player development and culture building out the window to morph into the Paul Westhead’s Loyola Marymount teams to cobble together a handful of extra wins this season. Yikes!

Yea, that’s the ticket…let’s call Arch and run it by him. He’ll go for it. :shock:

And I even thought he had a few cogent takes the past few days. He suckered me in. :lol:

Nothing like some 72 takes on off days to spice things up. 👍🏼
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

We're 323 out of 363 in three point percentage and they want us to fire up 3's as much as possible. :lol:
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Sophie Phillips, Dolly Cairns and Emmi Rinat are all shooting 3s at 40% or better. Let them run our drills!